Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's obviously not a solution for every game, but emulating the virtual console versions of n64 games through dolphin works great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

how the gently caress is that even a possible scenario

My flowchart doesn't account for this

The Dolphin devteam is really good and have been working on getting literally everything possible working for ages now. Their devblog is a cool read: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Twin Galaxies is still stuck in the past back when you didn't really get anything more complex than arcade pacman and I'm honestly not sure if whoever is on their 'judging' panel has played much of anything newer

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Why don't you go ask her yourself since you're so invested in continuing to post about her and stop bringing it up here

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I remember when splice discoveries were as simple as 'the music skips when entering the desert in OoT'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Historically small speedrunning communities for games have always decided collaboratively on what they consider things like 'what is completion' and 'what makes sense as categories,' and in this case if it's more fun for the people involved to decide to play it a very specific way then they should be able to do it like that

It'd be a problem if it was something one runner decided to install secretly, but this isn't the case; it'd also be an issue if there were people in the community who didn't think it was a good idea, but that also isn't the case apparently.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

iospace posted:

Myst: a game that has a strategy guide the size of a college textbook.

Also Myst: an 18 minute game once you know all the solutions.

I mean, the same is true for basically any puzzle/adventure game

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Honestly I still think it's less that this thread needs to have the rando stuff taken out of it but rather that there's enough rando discussion, information, and livechat that it's probably worth it having its own thread to have one altogether resource for it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, make a 'no major glitches' category and put all the big ridiculous stuff that lets you circumvent most of the game in it, then let the regular run be the game mostly as intended with small tricks and strats allowed

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

McFrugal posted:

I think that's backwards.

I'm phonetyping but you should get the gist

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's a completely worthless item, too.

('Shampoo' is the item that then eventually turns into the other item over the course of two weeks, so that category's essentially "fastest time to the start of the two week timer")

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

site posted:

People have been doing doom 100% and any%, and fast, and nightmare, and and and...speedruns for like 20 years, calling it a meme category is just the dumbest poo poo

Its too bad doomedsda hasnt gone and just set up a thing for it to link vids in addition to the demo files for og wads

people are talking about the recent doom reboot and not the original

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
personally I think we should ban both the rapists and the racists

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's apparently a Wind Waker randomizer now, which I'm honestly surprised there's tech out there to do

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

lots of other images in the tweet thread if you need more confirmation

color me unsurprised RWG has gone from active trump supporter to literal nazi

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rirse posted:

So what games this piece of poo poo run before so I know to never watch them?

http://gdqvods.com/runner/graviton/

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
she links to 'cyberdemon531.com' in her bio so yeah that seems to be true

must've had a hell of a bout of self-examination since then I guess

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/1067611286282952704

also coolmatty is openly asking for any additional evidence to be sent to him
https://twitter.com/matt_merkle/status/1067609793932738560

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't think RWG being loving horrible is what's in question, it's if the same goes for gravitron

still though it should take more than an afternoon to investigate and that "differing opinions" line is a real loving bad look when you're talking about literal nazis

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I really doubt goose isn't already banned, it's just a lack of info on grav

and yeah try to get back in and share your account imo

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
her Ferguson tweets are going around again now :/

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
here's what I would do:

clarify that rwhitegoose was not invited to GDQ, will never be welcome to the event, and this was never in question
(after research establishes the truth) specify that grav is no longer running at the event
apologize genuinely and profusely about the 'differing opinions' statement and get a new pr person so that gently caress up isn't repeated

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
feel free to steal that plan coolmatty

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

someone not on a phone wayback archive that and see what it used to say

scroll down slightly

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
*regurgitates literal islamophobic propaganda*

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

https://twitter.com/graviton29/status/1067654318898204672

good riddance

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
anyway coolmatty hire an actual pr person and also maybe an inclusivity rep on top of that

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
realtalk this won't be enough in people's eyes unless they issue a public, official statement on how much they hosed up the messaging on this and how they will do better

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dizz posted:

Isn't Cyberdemon also a chud? I remember them saying homophobic stuff or something which led me to unfollowing them.

she's said some absolutely virulently bigoted stuff in the past and was banned from the event for a history of things topped off with the sneaking-maga-hats-onto-the-stream thing, but apparently she's done a lot of self examination since given her entire twitter account these days so vOv

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

eonwe posted:

there was a hint of "the matter is closed" to their tweet, so people got angry

not even a hint, the now-deleted tweet straight up said their investigation was over and they were taking no action

also hell yes pmg

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That reminds me, in case it wasn't posted the power up with pride event starts a week from tomorrow

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
coolmatty should probably take a breath and stop with all these extremely upset posts and/or get someone to put them into official statements instead of that whole mess

Waffles Inc. posted:

I mean, this is absolutely not the tone people are taking

Seems like everyone super online enough to follow this sort of thing on an hour by hour basis was shooting from the hip and a lot of the current reaction feels fueled by the strong emotions the now deleted tweet created

they also put up a public notice on their website about it saying that they were taking no action and that they don't ban for, verbatim, "differing opinions"

in regards to speedrunners who are so much literal nazis that they were offhandedly talking about "the jewish question"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
People are upset because, in their eyes, this is the last straw for lovely things happening at/with gdq that seemingly go unpunished + it looked like it was yet another screamingly obvious bad thing going unpunished that they only backpedaled on when there was massive uproar. You're missing the entire perspective.

Like, this poo poo has happened so many times in recent years with nazi and alt-right behavior going unchecked under the mealy mouthed umbrella of being "different opinions." To a hell of a lot of people this broke what little trust they had left in GDQ after years of people being lovely on-camera. GDQ needs to do much more to work to get it back.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

UraniumAnchor posted:

Is getting new, reliable information 'backpedaling'? Serious question.

e: To clarify I'm curious what about that you thought qualifies as 'backpedaling'.

I don't personally think it was backpedalling, but I'm seeing a hell of a lot of people I know who aren't as up on GDQ stuff still super angry and I've been following why they're upset.

The optics were as follows: after news about nazi speedrunners came out, GDQ announced publically they would do nothing with a statement including the aforementioned awful AWFUL phrase 'differing opinions.' About a half hour later they posted a followup tweet clarifying that they do in fact think nazis are bad and please anyone give us some more proof so we can do anything about it (which, on top of coolmatty's personal requests for the same, felt to a lot of people that GDQ was asking everyone to do their investigation for them). After some extremely simple investigation (a mix of 'using google' and 'anyone who has ever interacted with either person confirming that they were shitheads') GDQ then finally said 'okay yeah they're banned' with absolutely no additional messaging apologizing for their earlier fuckups.

Is all of this true? Not especially -- again I personally know y'all are better than that because I've been following for years and have talked with y'all here and there. Is this how it looks to a hell of a lot of people? absolutely 100%

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I honestly think that there should be a serious re-examination of the 'be quiet about enforcement decisions' policy because it absolutely has not helped the public perception of GDQ and it has made it extremely easy for the public at large to think that stuff like the MAGA hats or the repeated deadnaming and transphobic jokes that end up on stream were uncorrected and unpunished. Hell, people to this day think the "go step in front of a bus" line was by the announcer or runner of that game (and not someone unapproved who just grabbed a mic from someone on the couch) because there was no clear messaging about it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

please someone stop coolmatty

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi posted:

please someone stop coolmatty

someone stopped coolmatty

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

KoldPT posted:

this absolutely is someone else posting under that name as a joke right?

almost definitely, that subreddit has a long history of impersonating people to be lovely

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fun hater posted:

e: also why would anyone impersonate him, specifically.

that subreddit is full of people who have lovely vendettas against a ton of people in the speedrunning community -- it's literally why it was made -- and gdq staff are their favorite targets right after narcissa wright (for being trans) and some banjo kazooie runner whose name I can't remember (for some personal drama and a breakup literally five years ago)

i'd bet it's far from the only account named like that, there's probably a dozen variants on 'mike jewyama'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fun hater posted:

no i mean i get why people would impersonate streamers and i saw plenty of accounts that did. obviously and badly. but why larp boringly as a payroll guy that doesnt have a prior history of drama.

he's not payroll, he's the director of gdq and one of the few public faces of gdq staff