Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

RoboJoe posted:

This is something I’ve posted about in the AGDQ chat thread a few times this year (and in previous years too actually), so apologies for anyone tired of hearing this from me.

I’m not a speedrunner and I don’t really know much of the speedrunning community, but I do enjoy watching them sometimes, especially watching the GDQ events and every time I do I’m inspired to try speedrunning a game which is always something specific close to me: Star Control 2.

The problem with this is that I’ve only ever played the game casually many, many years ago in a friends 3DO. Naturally as I haven’t played it for years I would learn as much as I can casually before learning speedrunning techniques. I also don’t have a 3DO so I would want to run the Ur Quan Masters free PC port.

A problem with this is I think the Ur Quan Masters isn’t officially recognised by the community because it’s an unofficial port of the game - I’m not 100% sure about though, but I do remember reading a topic on one of the speedrun websites about this once a couple of years ago.

However I cannot find much information on actually speedrunning this game, with techniques and whatnot, and I can only find a few runs of it on YouTube. I’ll admit possibly I’m not looking well enough or in the right places for information.

My questions: with a game with little information and a few runs, what would be the best way of learning it? Study the videos there are and try to replicate what they do and see if I can contact the runner(s) to ask for advice?

Like I said at the start this is something I’ve thought about for some time now but I am unsure if I could even manage to do it, I am a casual games player, I don’t usually stick to a specific game for long after completing what I want to do in it, so maybe I’ll not actually end up even speedrunning this. However I think I’d like to try!

my suggestion is to just buy a 3do. get an fz-10 if you want to get the least fussy model, get an fz-1 for swagger, get a goldstar if you are a loving dipshit who makes terrible decisions (this is me btw).

this way you have a really cool hard copy of the game with a rad star map and poo poo, plus you have a weird obscure console nobody has heard of which itself actually has a stunningly good library for a flop console, like the 3do is prolly second to the tg16 in terms of good libraries on failed consoles. no joke.

also once i get my 3do out of storage i'ma start running star control 2 as well. game fuckin rules. love that momentum-based space combat :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

here have a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic video that was recommended to me on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5TGFEoidEM

:barf:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

highlight for me is how the first two people he lists as a thanks or whatever are pvtcb and cyberdemon

because of fuckin course

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

they let transpeople run games and read donations which is horrible sjw pandering according to people with severe brain damage

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

clearly this means you have to unban cyberdemon and give them the lead-in spot for sgdq

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

a member of the same crew that included cfb and pvtcb, banned last year at agdq

also a gigantic edegelord piece of poo poo

also ran a subreddit dedicated to harassing narcissawright

i am still mad they were even allowed to be at agdq 2017, cyberdemon and that whole crew are loving garbage. one of them (i believe pvtcb) previously threatened to shoot up a gdq event and somehow was loving allowed back and then promptly banned again and i really hope gdq staff learned their lesson to not give second chances to piles of dogshit like any of that crew.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that was cfb

cyberdemon was banned for maga hats along with pvtcb at the start of the event

also cyberdemon's twitter is full of wonderful insight such as this

real good stuff

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 28, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the optimistic side of me wants to say 'well maybe by this they mean the times will be erased'

but lol

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i am gonna laugh for days no matter the outcome

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i literally just posted that video last page and much of the conversation on this page was related to how the first two people thanked in the video are giant piles of dogshit

it is a bad video by a bad person catering to a crowd of morons and shitbags who whine about 'the sjws ruining my bideojames!!!!!'

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the more i think about it, the more i hope twingalaxies actually doesn't throw todd's dragster time out or any of the others just to completely erase any shred of credibility they had left

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i can't believe they actually axed todd's times and banned him. otoh they have lost so much credibility at this point that i have to wonder how much it even matters.

Rubellavator posted:

Also, there's some poo poo going on here:

http://zeldaspeedruns.com/

from what i understand, narcissa owns the domain still and this was done by her and she won't give it back to the zelda community.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i don't know the specifics of this, but last time i watched her she was extremely extremely mentally unwell to the point that i unfollowed her on twitch, and refusing to get any help. she's lashed out before without any reason, maybe something did happen that we don't know about but at least from outward appearances she still had an amicable relationship with the other big-name zelda runners i thought.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

there's nothing fun about the zsr stuff or anything narcissa's been through or her continuing depression struggles, please don't mistake talking about a thing that is happening for 'fun drama' or w/e.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

^^^sorry for the misunderstanding~

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They appear to have gotten a redirect working now. Is Narcissa okay? I literally haven't watched that stream since back when she was Cosmo and speedrunning Wind Waker.

she has endured a lot of bullshit due to her transition because being trans on the internet makes you a target of all kinds of awful bullshit from scumbags. i've mentioned it before, but loving cyberdemon even ran a subreddit dedicated solely to harassing her.

at the same time she has also said that she suffers from intense depression both before and after her transition, compounding all of that. i don't want to go into details but her twitch when i last watched it was just a giant loving bummer, i unfollowed her because it was really sad to watch. she needs help and i hope she gets it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i also dislike keysanity. not because i can't follow it ( i can) but because individual items are diminished in importance a whole lot. a big part of randomizer for me is seeing what items are found where and how the runners route based on those items, while keysanity just de-emphasizes that a lot.

the only non-open mode i like is hell randomizer which manages to be so dumb that it rules. enemizer and keysanity bore me.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

entrance randomizer + keysanity + enemizer + music randomizer + palette randomizer

it's basically an alttp fever dream

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Groovelord Neato posted:

i didn't know that smb3 was dependent on rng until i watched summoning salt's video. had no idea about those hands.

what

have you never played smb3 before???

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

well do yourselves a favor and play smb3, it is an extremely good video game

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmfao :milk:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i mean i get trying to help a dude i guess, but giving him edibles at a charity event in a state where that poo poo is illegal is hella fuckin dumb and having them try it for the first time in an environment surrounded by people is even dumber since weed does make a good number of people more paranoid or anxious rather than less so.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmfao i'm watching the video and got to the part where he's talking about how he heard back from uyama and uyama said he knows why he was banned and agrees with it

"clearly they never gave my side of the story to mike uyama"

this guy is real dumb, yo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

to be fair in the end he seems a lot more level headed about this than i thought and said not to be dicks to gdq over it and whatnot, but he also keeps going on about how they 'won't see his side of the story'.

like, i am pretty sure they did in fact see his side of the story, it's just that it doesn't help matters at all because that's the kind of idiocy that you don't pull at a fuckin charity event regardless of intent.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

you have to consider the perspective of agdq being a charity event. having a dude taken away by an ambulance with the cops showing up, all because you gave him an illegal substance, is not something that any charity organization would want to have because it could very well damage their standing with their chosen charities. regardless of intent, it was an extremely dumb thing to do and gdq having a zero-tolerance policy on this sort of thing is not only the right move, it's prolly the only possible stance they could take given what they do.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Modus Pwnens posted:

People keep saying "illegal substance" when it's pot. Pot. Who the gently caress cares about pot?

The answer to that question is not "people who watch video games on twitch" or "a cancer charity"

regardless of your opinion on weed, the fact is that yes it is illegal and the police showed up and a dude left in an ambulance.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

apparently billy mitchell is suing apollo legend over his video about mitchell cheating in donkey kong lmfao

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr. Stab posted:

I hope they both lose.

i mean apollo legend sucks for reasons, but it's hard to deny that his videos have at the very least had a significant influence on mitchell and even rodgers getting shitcanned, and even though i dislike the guy for his lovely opinions i hope he wins because it'd set a real bad precedent if he didn't.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

puwexil jrpg runs are one of life's simple pleasures.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

are they back to running open mode for this randomizer tournmanet? i did not pay attention to the keysanity tournament at all 'cause keysanity is lame.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

aren't the speedgaming twitch channels just run by feasel?

motherfucker must be rich as poo poo now. though if anyone in the speedrunning community deserves loads of cash he's a good candidate.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Do people actually sub/donate to the speedgamings? You're all talking about it like a money fountain.

iateyourpie recently hit 3,000 subscribers. that's like 7 grand a month assuming every one is just a 5 dollar sub and not a 10 or 25 (he has quite a few of both of those).

the four speedgaming channels collectively have had over twice as many viewers in the past month as pie. i don't think it's a stretch to assume that at the absolute bare minimum they have as many subscribers between the four of them as pie does.

(also holy poo poo i never thought about how much bank pie is pulling in :eyepop:)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Crotch Bat posted:

Yea, I'm not really sure what you're referring to but it wasn't that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMOIPM7cwCM

what a real shame that this guy got banned

a real pity

a real loss for us all

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i follow over 150 people on twitch, zero of whom have been banned since the new tos.

i guess that's my fault for not following all the super awesome and hilarious twitch personalities who use racial slurs on stream and instead following boring people who play games without going out of their way to offend people :shrug:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Crotch Bat posted:

The ban I referred to was him bullshitting with his friend on Discord over League and getting banned for it. The guy was laughing while Destiny was saying it, it was clearly a joke.

this is the friend he was with https://twitter.com/tuxedosheep/status/951041754895089664

i'm sure that 'bullshitting' was totally cool and not offensive given his past behavior.

Crotch Bat posted:

No, Tfue got a 30 day ban for it and it mysteriously changed to a 7 day ban about 24-48hr later. So you tell me, if this was such clear cut horrid racism, why would they be lowering the ban?

in what reality is calling someone coon not racist :psyduck:

literally nothing you have said has helped your case, at all. all you've done is make yourself out to be exactly the kind of person people were predicting when you started crying about twitch's tos.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Crotch Bat posted:

It's racist so why would they go from a 30 day ban to a 7 day ban.

because of people like you crying about how unfair it is

like what the gently caress are you even arguing now

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

twitch chat during gdqs is only worth it when something weird happens and they all spam wutface, for some reason it always makes me laugh after all these years

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the problem is that while their growth was constant rather than explosive, they never at all adjusted to that growth early on. twitch was a pretty rinkydink operation administration-wise for like, a long time.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i at first thought goose was loving with people with his die-hard alt-right schtick, but yeah he is totally 100% serious about it. gently caress that guy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fadam posted:

Dang, I didn't know that guy was an alt-right loser. I've loved some of his earlier videos.

yeah i've known this poo poo for a long time because i made the horrible, horrible mistake of looking at his twitter in like september of 2016. i used to watch his stream sometimes before then, and he never brought up anything about this back then. guess he hung out on 4chan a bit too long and it gave him brain spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFXYKBt80Sg

speedrunning vaccinations against highly infectious diseases