Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
In the frame-perfect, subpixel-perfect world of Super Mario Bros. speedrunning, Kosmic has achieved a 4:55.6x, which has often been speculated to be where the category dies (though he doesn't think so himself). Thusly, he drops the mic on any% because the frames left to save are some bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wR8x5b_ExM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDGmFveY2IA

e: ah gently caress already mentioned. analysis video is choice though

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Venuz Patrol posted:

does he have something set up to automatically record splits? i don't see how else he would get accurate times when the optimization is getting so specific

also, he uses a foot pedal to split, just for posterity

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Been watching some gdq videos and as much fun as the mario maker races are I think I prefer the kaizo runs more. They have a lot more humour and feel a bit less hectic.

what are your faves? i liked the GPW2 one.
e: sorry for doublepost

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

e: nm, don't really wanna prolong bad vibes in the thread

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 2, 2020

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Tha Cancel Grid

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Here's the vid, in case you missed it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWLyvZwgD_0

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

i understand the impulse for purity in mind and action (or maybe 'consistency' is a better word) and i don't want to come off as saying anything like 'sometimes it's okay to champion nazis if they play video games good' or 'it doesn't matter' because it absolutely does matter, and nazis and bigots should always be hosed off and excluded!

but god, when the first question whenever a new person is discussed in here is 'are they a nazi', the atmosphere gets incredibly exhausting, incredibly quickly

e: bad take but i'll keep it here

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 31, 2020

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

i guess my privilege is showing just a teensy bit, in that i do tend to view it as an abstraction like that

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Kosmic is speedrunning every mainline mario game today!
https://twitch.tv/kosmic
https://horaro.org/mmm/schedule

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Inferior Third Season posted:

What did he do compared to kosmik's run that shaved 0.2 seconds off?

saved the 8-2 framerule!

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 14, 2020

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

what's wrong with emu? leaderboards allow it for a reason lol

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

If I had to lodge a minor complaint with SS's stuff, I think he could really use some flair in his scriptwriting. Plus, I know his are videos about playing video games fast on the internet, but his videos so often just feel like a chain of "they found this trick, and then this guy used it and took the WR, and then the other guy took it back, and here's their avatar to remind you which guy I'm talking about" delivered really dryly. I know they're a different sort of thing, but I tend to like Bismuth's videos in this vein, they flow a lot nicer to me.

I'm not sure what you would do that could massively improve this aspect, given the paltry material to build a compelling narrative from, but some better wording/phrasing/pacing could do a significant amount imo

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

For one, by focusing on WR holders, he glosses over the collaborative aspects - glitch hunters and less successful runners who nonetheless pushed each game's times down in ways that the leaderboards don't reflect. It's a very "great man of history" approach to speedrunning.

That hits the nail on the head. Summoning Salt's approach at times almost approximates watching someone else jostle an Excel spreadsheet, dragging rows up and down, but there's so much more to the story of each game, technical or otherwise. Thing is, he's done that sort of focus in a lot of his vids, it just seems slightly inconsistent imo.

Reminds me of AverageTrey's video about Sunshine's WR history, which seemed richer on average. Helps that he was deeply embedded in the community and actually held said WR, I suppose.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I know Kosmic said the .646 was going to be beaten, and I believed him, but I can't believe less than a year out it's in third place, somehow. There are now nine people with a 4:55. Count 'em!

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

he's the current generic streamer that 12 y/o kids are obsessed with on twitter

predictably he's also weaponized said army of tweens against the speedrun.com mods which is a very 2010s/2020s phenomenon and i'm here for it

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The speedrunning community has been good at spotting cheaters since runs were submitted via VHS recording being physically mailed around. How the gently caress does anyone expect to get away with stuff nowadays?

google "survivorship bias"

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

i do think that fun and wonder is the ultimate point of this exercise, and the fact that we care about beating games quickly is the pursuit of those two things, so i like categories that aren't exactly optimal given new insights but are still enjoyable to watch. not that we shouldn't pursue said insights, but the value is different than just forcing a category that is no longer enjoyable

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

i think the ACE stuff is insanely fascinating in its own right and i think in certain games and contexts can also constitute a fun speedrun but i think more accessible choices should be prioritized!

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

someone comes in to ask a question like that literally every other page and i changed my mind, maybe we should just have a canceled spreadsheet in the OP, actually, so that people can stop mulling over it all the time

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It’s a really unfortunate situation yeah

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Here's a question, then: how do runners know exactly what behavior is intended, what was unanticipated, and what lies in that liminal space between of "eh, it'll do"? Have the developers spoken at length to this level of detail? Seems like bullet lists like these are more judgement calls than anything.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

site posted:

From my understanding, the community has literally gone line by line through the assembly code for red/blue

But that doesn't explain whether certain behavior was intended or not, it just defines what that behavior is. For a lot of these, it seems kinda gray-area. It's a philosophical question, I suppose.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

heehee posted:

holy fuckin poo poo niftski just got a 4:54 in super mario bros

holy poo poo

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Kchama posted:

Excuse loving me? Is there a video where I can watch this miracle?

He's still streaming, he got it ~40 minutes ago. https://twitch.tv/Niftski

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

the no U+D/L+R TAS is only like .65 seconds faster!

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I mean, it seems within the realm of possibility to take it somewhere to have it actually engraved, no?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

ArfJason posted:

i imagine after the quintillion channel that made 1 million subs they were like you know we could make these cheaper

I meant on summoning salt’s part! Since it’s pretty clearly important to him, nothing wrong with a little personal flair right?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

oldskool posted:

i mean it totally is but it's also a p dick move to send a some-assembly-required plaque

no doubt about it! no post i ever make on this site or anywhere else should ever be interpreted as any defense, milquetoast or otherwise, of youtube

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

you can say the stuff you saw him do was bad and makes him a bad person without making up stuff he didn't do

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

From what I understand the TAS block at GDQ is a lot of people’s primary exposure to the format!

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

actually it's still fun to watch how it goes in the early going

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrt1HiTTvrU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

How far off is that from the TAS now?

I believe the RTA TAS is 4:54.265, so according to my math without actually checking, there are 39 frames left to save.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

I am not entirely sure what is going on. Summoning Salt said 4:54.26 is the best possible, but the TAS on tasvideos.org says it sits at 4:54.03 RTA timing.
http://tasvideos.org/1715M.html

Is one of them wrong?

Basically the NES will accept both the left and right directions being held at the same time as valid input (the D-pad is secretly just an array of four buttons electronically), and this is useful (I believe for fast acceleration? I don't recall specifics) in an emulator/TAS context. You can't physically hold down both directions at the same time without modifying your controller though, so there is also a category for TASes (the RTA rules/"no left+right" category) where that input is disallowed, and that is the time it makes sense to compare RTA runs to. Left+Right input is also, obviously, disallowed on RTA runs played on an emulator.

4:54.03 is the any% TAS time
4:54.26 is the RTA rules TAS time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NYSVV5lAWg

(TASes time from power on, as opposed to RTA runs which time from the frame when the '400' first appears onscreen)

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 6, 2021

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

I mean, the sensible thing to do would be to only use 1.01 if you were going to be such a jerkoff about it, right? But no!

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

at this point couldn’t you just run through all the permutations of button presses for X number of frames to see if any end the game quicker? mathematically prove the shortest speedrun by brute force

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Oh, I didn't even think about the use of the second controller. Right, that makes sense.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

This is now relevant again

37!

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

it's an impossibly smaller impossibility! the difference between you and the diameter of betelgeuse. Math is cruel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

the novelty is fully gone, it's purely just sort of a kooky exercise in self-sacrifice now. not to psychoanalyze anyone in particular but i imagine there's pressure to do stunts like this for audience-building/careerist purposes which is bad and not good