Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My guesses

Male, New (from newer half of numbered Final Fantasy titles) -- Laguna
Male, New (from older half of numbered Final Fantasy titles) --- Edgar or Cyan
Female, New (from newer half of numbered Final Fantasy titles) -- Fang
Male, New (from newer half of numbered Final Fantasy titles) -- Caius (ew) or Zenos (yay)
Female, Previously appeared in the Dissidia Final Fantasy series (from newer half of numbered Final Fantasy titles) -- Tifa?
Male, New (from newer half of numbered Final Fantasy titles) -- Vincent or Barret

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

8-Bit Scholar posted:

My guesses

Male, New (from newer half of numbered Final Fantasy titles) -- Caius (ew) or Zenos (yay)
Female, Previously appeared in the Dissidia Final Fantasy series (from newer half of numbered Final Fantasy titles) -- Tifa?
Male, New (from newer half of numbered Final Fantasy titles) -- Vincent or Barret

I thought "newer" meant FFVIII and up?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cid Raines
Cid Highwind
Cidney
Cid from ff14
???
Cid from ff15

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

My guesses

Laguna was in duodecim so he can't be the first one. And the newer half are 9 and up(1,2,3,4,5,6,7 old 8 new 9,10,11,12,13,14,15. 8 could theoretically be on either side for their counting) so it can't be Tifa, Vincent or Barret for the last 2. It'd have to be Yuna or Prishe for returning girls. The rest I've no particular guesses but several hopes like Auron.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wakka before Auron, Snow will likely show up, Gabranth or Balthier then

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

embrace the chaos :colbert:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I hope Yuna shows up as a gunner instead of them trying to drag another moveset out of summoner.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The GIG posted:

I hope Yuna shows up as a gunner instead of them trying to drag another moveset out of summoner.

Summoner Yuna had a cool moveset in Duodecim conceptually, it just wasn't very mechanically good, which can be fixed.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the FFXV Chocobros are popular enough and with established fighting styles that I could see one of them getting in, but I'm not sure if they'll get in in the first DLC pack. Maybe the second or third.

I'd like more XIV representation, but most of the Scions aren't actually that interesting in a fight; it'd probably have to be someone like Raubahn or Merlwyb to get my attention.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
There's a pretty good selection of villains from XIV who would work. Nero would be great as well, and he's sort of wacky and unique in and of himself.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Kam'lanaut from FFXI would be a perfect fit for a villain, maybe for a vanguard or assassin. Eald'narche could work well as a marksman too.

Or Absolute Virtue.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
One of the new characters is almost certainly Ardyn, given the royalty version of FFXV and it being the most recent game. The male character from the old games is probably Locke, if only because he's ridiculously popular in Japan.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
I hope I eventually get to Suplex everyone with Sabin and that the victim screams until they hit the ground a la getting pinned by Reinhardt.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

LostRook posted:

One of the new characters is almost certainly Ardyn, given the royalty version of FFXV and it being the most recent game. The male character from the old games is probably Locke, if only because he's ridiculously popular in Japan.

I'll be honestly surprised if Ardyn gets in this early; he's popular but nowhere near as popular as literally any other playable character in XV other than Cor. I'd even say Ravus has a higher chance of getting in first.

If 'old games' includes VII, Zack could make it in too.

Just watch them throw a curveball and have it be Leon or Ceodore.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I wouldn't worry too much if your favorite character isn't in the first batch as I imagine this is going to have a long tail with tons of add on characters. I mean, they plan on at least 3 more paid DLCs for XV, not including the Royal Edition, for goodness sake.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Please god give us Maat

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Is the beta missing powers on characters? I feel like the tips on some characters make no sense because powers are missing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Please god give us Maat

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Is the beta missing powers on characters? I feel like the tips on some characters make no sense because powers are missing.

The only thing characters are missing are two HP attack options and the bunch of shared EX skills.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Maat would be a great choice thematically and has the side benefit of being instantly recognizable by anyone who played XI for a decent amount of time. That and it'd be great to actually be on the delivering side of the beating with him instead of being the one getting kicked up and down the neighborhood by the overpowered old man :getin:

DaMangoSentinel
Sep 10, 2010

Do I have to do it like this?
Give me Orlandeau for DLC, thanks.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
What if

what if we get Chrono Trigger characters

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Adam Jensen

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Aya Brea. The Villain of the series can be Aya from The Third Birthday

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

This game seems significantly less fun and polished than either of the PSP games. I can't believe how atrocious the UI is, also the new summon system seems like it just slows things down and doesn't offer deep customization like the older summon mechanic. Also movement feels bad and for some reason they got rid of the lightrails for grinding around. 3v3 is a terrible main mode. Can't believe they messed it up so bad.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly it's best to think of this as an entirely different series than the PSP ones. The only thing similar is the brave system and the ridiculous name.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Anyone got HQ screencaps from that sick final battle cinematic? There are like 10 "New PC Wallpaper" moments there.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Vanrushal posted:

I hope I eventually get to Suplex everyone with Sabin and that the victim screams until they hit the ground a la getting pinned by Reinhardt.

Can Sabin go full on Eddie/Benoit/Angle/Bork in terms of suplexing things? since I dunno if he can do that.

Infact the only person in any videogame who has Suplexed that many times in 1 go is SF Alex.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The 'old game male' is almost certainly Locke- he apparently very nearly made it into 012 according to some old interviews, a last-minute cut from that game's roster.
The new game male villian is probably someone from XIV- Zenos, Lahabrea, or Gaius being the most likely additions. Likewise, I'd say the real, real easy guess for new-half female newcomer is Lyse. Which is super boring but she got pushed hard for Stormblood, so yeah.
The returning female is likely Yuna.

I'm guessing for the other two characters is someone from either XII or XIII (my personal guess is Snow) and I'm guessing the other will be another spinoff character. A safer guess would be one of the FFTA protagonists or someone representing Crystal Chronicles, but considering that the Final Fantasy mobile games are making money hand over fist in Japan, I'd put odds on either Tyro or Rain sneaking in somewhere.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Stormblood is still too new for them to be pushing Lyse right now, since she's a character that doesn't get introduced til the end of Heavensward and people with sharp ears can piece together things that they might not have gotten to yet if they just started XIV.

Also I wouldn't put it past them to push Vayne or Caius as the villian slot.

Locke does seem like a safe bet since there are barely any memorable males left from I-V. So it's VI or nothing really (unless VII's in the running), and from that game it only boils down to Locke, Edgar or Sabin.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
I'd throw a baby off a cliff for Cyan, sure, but Locke does seem more likely. EVEN IF CYAN WOULD HAVE MORE INTERESTING MECHANICS argh blargh

Still, I'm putting a dollar on the long bet that it's instead either Setzer or Galuf. Because dreams are freeeeee~

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Locke or Minwu will be the old series male, Locke being hinted at heavily and Minwu being someone Nomura really wanted to add according to an old interview.

Minwu would be cool.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
I wouldn't be too surprised to see Caius or Zenos coming in to fill the villain roles for 13 and 14. I wouldn't mind Arden though he has the potential to be VERY similar to someone we already have now unless he fills a whole different class from him. Locke I like but....now that Zidane has a stealing mechanic built in I'm not really sure what he has to offer to the cast that isn't covered by Zidane I'm open to being surprised by their creativity....But Sabin, Cyan, Edgar, Mog and even Gau have a more interesting moveset to draw from. The only person from the game with less potential in my mind is Umaro. And Relm might be a bit awkward.... Sabin, Cyan, Edgar, or Mog I'd like to see........I think the only one I'd truly be disappointed to see would be Gogo since that would be the least possible effort from them since it'd just be creating old Bartz again with a different skin probably. Or be really awkward because you're moveset would be based on what enemies you are fighting, be kinda Edgemaster from Soul Calibur where you have no idea what you'll be doing till you're doing it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I’ve only played the original psp dissidia, so no idea how the revamp went. Does the game still have the level/board game/“missions” to get gear stuff or is it just a fighting game now?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/DFF_NT_JP/status/956060494443499522

They announced patch and they seem to have taken beta feedback into the changes for the NA release

quote:

English voicing and subtitles of different languages (English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish) have been added.

Can switch O and X buttons in the control settings at the option menu.

can switch L1/R1 and L2/R2 buttons in the control settings at the option menu.

Room Matches (custom rooms) will now give out experience for P.LV and C.LV. It will also now give Gil.

The Gil reward from battles has been vastly increased.

If disconnected before the briefing screen against opponents, you will no longer be penalized.

Players will get to rank up offline classes easier. (By increasing offline class your CPU allies will also rank up, making the battles easier as well.)

When matchmaking against an opponent, online IDs will no longer be listed under the voice chat. (All online IDs will be shown at the briefing screen.)

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I was a big fan of the psp games but this one feels awful and floaty. Am I missing something?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

It might not be for you then tbh. This one is more of a pivot to arena fighting games than the others being ARPGs that happen to have a versus option.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Game's out, yadda yadda yadda.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was pretty sold on the beta, but I'll probably wait for a few days' worth of initial reactions before I pull the trigger. loving hell, but isn't that DBZ game out now too? My budget...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Servers are already way more stable tonight then either beta. Also easy wins right now seem to be to just lurk near your teammates and pounce on whoever breaks from the enemy team first chasing after their target. Most people just don't seem to figure out when 2/3 blue lines connect to them that it's time to put up your guard when they're the ones moving in.

Also, summon crystals seem to make people real stupid. Just lobbing AoE HP attacks at a Crystal is usually good for at least one down each time.

• Locked thread