Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

https://www.winehq.org/news/2018011801

congrats to shadowhawk if he (a) still posts here and (b) is still employed by wine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I am glad Linux is doing a good job at becoming a Windows because Windows isn't doing a very good job at becoming a Linux

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

red or white, op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

https://www.winehq.org/news/2018011801

congrats to shadowhawk if he (a) still posts here and (b) is still employed by wine

wine is not employment

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Management posted:

wine is not employment

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

wine is not employment

:wow:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Management posted:

wine is not employment

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

wine is not employment

lmao

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Once again, because of the annual release schedule, a number of features that are being worked on have been deferred to the next development cycle. This includes in particular Direct3D 12 and Vulkan support

:psyduck:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The Management posted:

wine is not employment

lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

red or white, op

gimme a big jammy red op

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

why? ne

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PleasureKevin posted:

Once again, because of the annual release schedule, a number of features that are being worked on have been deferred to the next development cycle. This includes in particular Direct3D 12 and Vulkan support

:psyduck:

vulkan support is working pretty well, it is just hanging out in wine-staging until the bugs are pounded out

i don't think there will be any dx12 until the vulkan stuff is ready for prime time, since the intended strategy is to map dx12 to vulkan calls or something like that

(i am not a graphics programmer)

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

The Management posted:

wine is not employment

that’s the joke

is everyone here new?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

r u ready to WALK posted:

I am glad Linux is doing a good job at becoming a Windows because Windows isn't doing a very good job at becoming a Linux

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

r u ready to WALK posted:

how on earth do you figure this, wsl is the best linux

2017 was the year of linux on the desktop, satya finally made it happen

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

vulkan support is working pretty well, it is just hanging out in wine-staging until the bugs are pounded out

i don't think there will be any dx12 until the vulkan stuff is ready for prime time, since the intended strategy is to map dx12 to vulkan calls or something like that

(i am not a graphics programmer)

vulkan was easy since it's just passthrough. dx12 is trickier because, while both apis have similar usage patterns, they don't map 1:1. dx12 doesn't have any concept of render passes which are required in vulkan and vulkan doesn't have anything resembling dx12's execute indirect*. i don't think anyone is working on a dx bytecode to spir-v translator yet either.

*except for an experimental nvidia-only extension

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

just. use. windows

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Sweevo posted:

just use the native port that is actually a Wine wrapper

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
if you want to play vidya games that bad,

Sweevo posted:

just. use. windows

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i am not going to become a windows cj in my spare time

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Don't source engine games get better performance on linux despite using a thingy that dynamically converts directx calls to opengl calls?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am not going to become a windows cj in my spare time

this is what linux users actually believe

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i tried gaming on windows and stopped because i really was becoming a cj

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
idk what y'all are doing but i haven't had to cj my windows gaming boxes in over a decade. unless rebooting every 2 weeks for updates counts as janitoring?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sweevo posted:

just. use. windows

gently caress you

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i have a boot camp partition for a few specific software packages I need on occasion that just won’t work with app level virtualization, and where full os virt performs badly. wish that wasn’t the case, gently caress a windows

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Silver Alicorn posted:

Don't source engine games get better performance on linux despite using a thingy that dynamically converts directx calls to opengl calls?

a benchmark result showed this once but it doesn’t seem like a real thing

Linux graphics are ... not real high performance

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

this is what linux users actually believe

my work obliges me to have a Unix desktop. convenience and force of habit lead me to prefer Linux over OS X for that purpose

windows is totally unnecessary in my life, why add extra hassle

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

windows is totally unnecessary in my life, why add extra hassle

to get sick frags

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
the most important question is what becomes of the sharehouse?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

why would anyone use W.I.N.E?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
wine? more like whine

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

wine is not employment

Thanks for ending this thread early rear end in a top hat

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a benchmark result showed this once but it doesn’t seem like a real thing

Linux graphics are ... not real high performance

Maybe this was true in 2008 or whatever and it still is if you have a scrub tier AMD card, but Nvidia drivers on Linux nowadays are top notch and perform as well as their Windows counterparts. I don't notice any performance drop on Linux for source engine games.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

linux running the source engine and lotus 1-2-3 at good speeds these days, surely the year of linux on the desktop

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
who still uses source engine these days anyway

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

suck my woke dick posted:

wine? more like whine

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I haven’t used wine in like a decade. does it still render standard windows controls like garbage and half the time they don’t work right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qhat posted:

Maybe this was true in 2008 or whatever and it still is if you have a scrub tier AMD card, but Nvidia drivers on Linux nowadays are top notch and perform as well as their Windows counterparts. I don't notice any performance drop on Linux for source engine games.

amd's mesa-based linux opengl drivers are faster than their closed windows drivers these days and in some applications radv is faster than the official vulkan driver. source engine games like dota are one of the exceptions though, even though valve hired internal developers to work on the open drivers.

• Locked thread