Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be the champs?
This poll is closed.
Miocic, Cormier 18 40.91%
Ngannou, Cormier 19 43.18%
Miocic, Oezdemir 2 4.55%
Ngannou, Oezdemir 5 11.36%
Total: 44 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Welcome to the GDT for UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou, 10 p.m. ET Saturday, Jan. 20 only on PPV! Remember, this is a PPV, so if you post streams the UFC will sic Francis on you.

The UFC returns to lovely ol’ Boston for what promises to be the most exemplary main and comain event of the year, rivaling that of UFC Fight Night: St. Louis. Philadelphia may be the birthplace of our nation, but Boston is it first learned to swear and smoke and saw a boob. In just a few hundred years, the city went from playing an indispensable role in the rise of a superpower to a town that idolized a racketeering mass murderer who funded overseas terrorism simply because he came from there and seemed pretty nice if you had an Irish last name and ran into him and his mistress at the fish market. This card is kind of like Boston in reverse order — an eternity of dogshit leading up to a brief few moments of glory.

:siren: For the heavyweight world title :siren:

Stipe Miocic(c)

vs.

Francis “the Predator” Ngannou

Stipe Miocic is currently tied with all-time greats Cain Velasquez, WWE Superstar Brock Lesnar and Tim Sylvia for the most successful UFC heavyweight of all time, sitting on a whopping two title defenses. This fight sees the champion teetering on unparalleled greatness. Can he dump the Heavyweight Curse in the Boston Harbor just as he finally broke the Cleveland Curse by knocking out Fabricio Werdum? Or will the division be doomed to a perpetual round of hot potato? Stipe is a great fighter marred by a few tragic losses. He’s extremely well rounded and has uncanny cardio for the heavyweight division. He’s got grinding wrestling but remains active and is constantly looking for a finish from the top or on his feet ,and while he may not hit as hard as a lot of people in the division, he remains dangerous and keeps up a constant pace of steady volume to wear down opponents. He’s 1-1 in exciting fights with Junior dos Santos, he’s had repeated surgeries on his lovely knees and he hasn’t fought in forever. Take it to the bank, boys, it’s just like Cain.

But Francis Ngannou is the type of guy that made Massachusetts become a free state in the 1700s. His KO of Overeem is so terrifying the crowd was quiet when they did the jumbotron replays during Joe Rogan’s interview. Thanks to Hamilton, he is what 20-year-olds literally believe Hercules Mulligan looked like. His cardio isn’t even as suspect as most heavy handed heavyweights, having shown in his UFC career he can go at least two rounds without noticably slowing down. If Ngannou can spark Stipe, which is a distinct possibility, he may well set off a revolution that forces even the smuggest of online posters to admit that heavyweight isn’t all that bad.

:siren: For the light heavyweight world title :siren:

Daniel “DC” Cormier (c)

vs.

Volkan Oezdemir

This fight is kind of in the Cheers era of Boston history. It seems really great in a very specific context, so long as you don’t think about what is happening outside of the bar. Indeed, while Whitey Bulger was just down the street two-timing the FBI and bumping off cocaine dealers and their friends who were in the wrong place in the wrong time in broad daylight on public streets, Sam Malone’s lovable bunch of buffoons debuted, getting getting shitfaced on national television for our enjoyment. Daniel Cormier is basically Sam. His rivalry with Jon Jones is the will-he-won’t-he love story that we can very clearly see won’t happen by the end. His former opponent Alexander Gustafsson is Cliff Clavin (very tall and we seem to like him despite being a republican/nazi.) And the rest of his division is the festering pile of corpses mounting up in Southie, the cost of business for a loud-mouthed Boston criminal with a taste for nose candy.

But even on Cheers you still had to squint hard to avoid looking at Rhea Perlman. And so we have Volkan Oezdemir getting a title shot not too long after barely squeaking by OSP.

Featherweight

Calvin Kattar

vs.

Shane Burgos

Light Heavyweight

Gian Villante

vs.

Francimar Barroso

’Joe Silva meeting Sean Shelby for a Fight Pass Where are They Now segment’ posted:

Joe: Dana White was an alcoholic. Mean fuckin' drunk. He'd come to work hammered, looking to sign 20 no-names who weren’t worth a poo poo that he saw on sherdog. So I'd book them, so they couldn’t go after actual ranked fighters. Interesting nights were when cards were so weak they landed on the main card.

Sean: He used to just put Drew Dober, Emil Weber Meek, Chris Weidman’s friend on my desk. Just say, "Choose."
Joe: Well I gotta go with Drew Dober there.

Sean: I used to go with Chris Weidman’s friend.

Joe: Why Gian Villante?

Sean: Cause gently caress him, that's why.

Joe: Dana White?

Sean: Yeah.

[pause]

Sean: [gesturing to Joe’s phone with the somethingawful message boards pulled up] So, uh, what is it, like, Sean isn’t as good at matchmaking? Is it all that stuff?

[Joe nods]

Sean: Fear of overstacking a PPV in a non-essential market? Is that why I booked Shane Burgos vs Calvin Kattar?

Joe: I didn't know you had.

Sean: Yeah, I did.

Joe: You wanna talk about it?

Sean: No.

Joe: Hey, Sean? I don't know a lot. You see this? All this poo poo?

[Holds up his phone with the UFC 220 wiki on it, and drops it on his desk]

Joe: It's not your fault.

Sean: [Sean shrugs] Yeah, I know that.

[Sean averts his eyes to the floor]

Joe: Look at me son.

[Sean locks eyes with Joe]

Sean: [Sean nods] I know.

Joe: No. It's not your fault.

Sean: I know

Joe: No, no, you don't. It's not your fault.

[Joe moves closer to Sean]

Joe: Hmm?

Sean: I know.

[Sean stands up, trying to keep distance]

Sean: Alright.

[Sean closes his eyes, he's fighting for control]

Sean: Don't gently caress with me.

[Sean shoves Joe back]

Sean: Don't gently caress with me, Joe, not you!

Joe: It's not your fault. It's not your fault.

[Sean breaks into sobs. They hug]

Joe: gently caress them, ok?

Bantamweight

Thomas Almeida

vs.

Rob Font

This is actually a pretty cool fight. Thomas Almeida is a young gun who was undefeated until he ran into Cody Garbrant back in 2016 in the fight that secured Garbrandt’s winning shot at the title. After his brain recovered from that brutal KO he got back at it with a TKO win over Albert Morales. He has since dropped a decision to Jimmie Rivera, but that isn’t particularly shameful.

Rob Font hasn’t beaten anyone of particular note and is coming off of a submission loss, but he has looked good in his UFC wins, KOing Matt Schnell and subbing Douglas Silva de Andrade Justino Paulo Alves Thiago “Pitbull.” I’m inclined to think a dude who got decisioned by John Lineker will probably lose to Almeida, who is considerably more athletic and size-appropriate for the division, but who knows.

OTHER poo poo TO WATCH

Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1),8 p.m. ET

Featherweight Kyle Bochniak vs. Brandon Davis
Welterweight Abdul Razak Alhassan vs. Sabah Homasi
Flyweight Dustin Ortiz vs. Alexandre Pantoja
Featherweight Dan Ige vs. Julio Arce

Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass), 7 p.m. ET

Featherweight Enrique Barzola vs. Matt Bessette
Lightweight Islam Makhachev vs. Gleison Tibau, who almost surely will either blow weight or look like a cancer patient under real drug testing

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

:master:

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
gently caress it. I bet 3 whole days of probation that D.C. gets OOZED. Who wants some of this?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mewse
May 2, 2006

El Roncho posted:

gently caress it. I bet 3 whole days of probation that D.C. gets OOZED. Who wants some of this?

I'll take Bad Dad DC

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I like how the commercials for this event are heavily Miocic vs Ngannou based because nobody cares at all about DC vs some guy

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

mewse posted:

I'll take Bad Dad DC

Deal.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I haven't seen a proper probation bet on a fight in a long time.

Good work, gentlemen.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Dad Bod Bad Dad DC is gonna wrestlefuck Oozeman. Can't wait

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ngannou backs Stipe up against the cage, Stipe throws one of his pinpoint fuckin guided missiles directly at the giant's jaw but in doing so allows himself to eat a punch that covers his entire face.

Boom first ever double knockout at the exact same split second. Impossible to determine a winner, the Heavyweight belt goes to the only man left alive in the cage - Herb Dean, who Joe notes has far fewer knockouts on his record, but has caused more concussions than either fighter combined.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
stipe ngannou goes to a boring decision

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
lol jk someone getting kilt

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
When is the last time there was a heavyweight title match that didn't end in a finish or a super-brutal one-sided decision (JDS vs Cain 2)?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I was really excited to go to this show but then I realized I could go to Brazilian Grill and then watch it on TV after and decided that was a much better idea.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

VagueRant posted:

Herb Dean, who Joe notes has far fewer knockouts on his record, but has caused more concussions than either fighter combined.

Nice.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I can't believe I'm going to pay 50 dollars to watch two fights

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I can't believe I'm going to pay 50 dollars to watch two fights

what's the second one?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

VagueRant posted:

Ngannou backs Stipe up against the cage, Stipe throws one of his pinpoint fuckin guided missiles directly at the giant's jaw but in doing so allows himself to eat a punch that covers his entire face.

Boom first ever double knockout at the exact same split second. Impossible to determine a winner, the Heavyweight belt goes to the only man left alive in the cage - Herb Dean, who Joe notes has far fewer knockouts on his record, but has caused more concussions than either fighter combined.

Yeah, I appreciated this one too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Marching Powder posted:

what's the second one?

Daniel Cormier losing and then getting the belt back in another Dusty Finish.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Marching Powder posted:

what's the second one?

ride or die for Fat Dad Daniel

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Ditch posted:

When is the last time there was a heavyweight title match that didn't end in a finish or a super-brutal one-sided decision (JDS vs Cain 2)?

Tim Sylvia vs Jeff Monson?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
can't wait to see how daniel cormier does against a rumble johnson that doesn't hit or kick as hard or as accurately and can't wrestle at all

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JaySB posted:

Tim Sylvia vs Jeff Monson?

Couture vs Sylvia was after that.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

"They don't even stand a chance. I don't understand why this fight was even made." -people before Rose/JJ

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

El Roncho posted:

"They don't even stand a chance. I don't understand why this fight was even made." -people before Rose/JJ

Rose was especially common to under-estimate, though. Even here, people were pretty sure PVZ would grind her out.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Couture vs Sylvia was after that.

He said a non-super brutal one sided decision.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JaySB posted:

He said a non-super brutal one sided decision.

You have a poor memory of that fight and Sylvia vs Monson if you're trying to make that distinction.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Snowman_McK posted:

Rose was especially common to under-estimate, though. Even here, people were pretty sure PVZ would grind her out.

People said that because PvZ was an okay wrestler then and Rose had famously got heaps of hype from people here and then got out-wrestled by Esparza.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

People said that because PvZ was an okay wrestler then and Rose had famously got heaps of hype from people here and then got out-wrestled by Esparza.

It's still a hilarious position in retrospect.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Snowman_McK posted:

It's still a hilarious position in retrospect.

Yeah.

mewse
May 2, 2006

UFC and professional counterstrike are in Boston on the same weekend :o

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

mewse posted:

UFC and professional counterstrike are in Boston on the same weekend :o

Sean Shelby couldn't throw Hunto a bone? smh

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Still uh, still looking for MMA awards ballots to come in. Only 14 submissions have come in so far, which is kinda sad, but w/e

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845201

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

Still uh, still looking for MMA awards ballots to come in. Only 14 submissions have come in so far, which is kinda sad, but w/e

the community died when fatherdog did. it hasn't been the same since.

also, the main card tomorrow is really loving good if you watch bellator instead of ufc up until the main event

instead of almeida / font, we have chandler / japanese man

then lima / rory

then some light comedy with rampage / chael

then a brief intermission or you can watch cormier / volkan if you want

then the main event.

great card.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Marching Powder posted:

the community died when fatherdog did. it hasn't been the same since.

also, the main card tomorrow is really loving good if you watch bellator instead of ufc up until the main event

instead of almeida / font, we have chandler / japanese man

then lima / rory

then some light comedy with rampage / chael

then a brief intermission or you can watch cormier / volkan if you want

then the main event.

great card.

Almeida vs Font could be cool, and won't tear my heart asunder like whatever the outcome of Handsome Mike Chandler vs Goiti Yamauchi is gonna be

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Lowtax lost his loving mind leading up to FD leaving. The football forum died too.
Anyone remember when oezdimir hit manuwa and sent him reeling backwards, and oezdimirs two followup shots landed on manuwas collarbone? He's okay fast and reasonably powerful but woof.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I got lazy and just casually watch these days which probably has more to do with the UFC having no one I care too hard about in it than moderator drama.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Going through and writing up a ballot did remind me that UFC 217 was a loving great show.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LobsterMobster posted:

I’ve never posted one of those because email is a pain in the rear end but I’d do it on a google form or something

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I’ve never posted one of those because email is a pain in the rear end but I’d do it on a google form or something

it is a google form, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fransico Rivera just earned himself a four-year suspension for getting Clenbuterol into his system, claiming that he got it from eating meat in Mexico, and then submitting falsified documents to an independent arbitrator in an attempt to substantiate that claim.

Had he just accepted the initial suspension, he'd actually be back in action this year. He's out til 2020 now. I remember disliking Rivera, but I can't remember why now - did he get a win off of a flagrant foul that the referee missed?

• Locked thread