Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008
Well I know if you dig too deep into a Hirez game your going to find some contradictions and weird interplay in mechanics, but I do believe that if you get Hoovering death'd it says 9999 true damage on the T screen. The theory crafting surviving a execute is a function of this, a Bacchus with the correct 6 items(and passive and maybe some buff/proc) can survive an execute ult when he should die. It's 'theorycrafting' because it will probably never actually happen in a real game. This is because, as the aforementioned Book of Thoth lays out, %Mitigation applies before all damage, even true damage in smite for whatever reason. This may(almost certainly was) have originally been unintended, when both true damage and %Mitigation were much less common, but now if they messed with it it would definitely have some unintended buffs and nerfs to items and gods.

I tried testing Nemesis in jungle practice but mathing with smites t screen and trying to figure out nem passive and attack chains and all the other variables with pen and when it applies and poo poo is just....gently caress it. I probably should have tried the combat log but I didn't even think of it at the time, and as I recall its not very detailed anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Theorycrafting might vary from person to person, but I think it's understanding the game from a stat/formula perspective, then either trying to find the most ideal/efficient condition; or "breaking" the game by min-maxing or by abusing a technically correct (but probably not feasible) condition.

The execute getting "blocked" seems to show the execute mechanic works by negating some kind of unseen damage number. "9999" might have been the damage dealt a while ago, but around season 2-3 it was buffed to prevent executes getting "blocked" back then. The new actually damage dealt could be coded as something like "999,999 true damage," but the problem is: true damage is subjected to %mitigations. It ignores protections, but something like Oni's passive (3 stacks of 3%) will mitigate a portion of the damage. Previously, %mitigated hasn't been prevalent where it becomes an issue, but with all these new items I guess it's now possible to be immune to damage given the right conditions.

The clip I posted says they obtained 104% mitigation, which seems to be from a combination of relics, abilities, and item passives. Technically buildable but you probably hit like a wet noodle.

Wastid posted:

Well I know if you dig too deep into a Hirez game your going to find some contradictions and weird interplay in mechanics...

This is an unfortunate must-do practice with Smite. There's ways that things "should" work (or at least that's how it should per the tooltips) and with all the spaghetti code that's in a ~6 year old game, there's bound to be contradictions.

Wastid
Oct 21, 2008
I'm trying to random gift people in the clan and I can't figure out how when apparently everyone has hidden profiles. I don't even know why thats a thing you can do.

To complain more the new UI is really poo poo, I cant sort by whos online or not, though that was probably also not possible with the old UI

Wastid fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 22, 2018

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
The screen where you choose what "Normal" game type you want to play, both the little up and down arrows as well as the scroll bar to the side will not scroll through the modes, or do anything at all, only my mouse wheel scrolls it. I found that amusing, since the scroll wheel on my old mouse is busted, good thing a have a new one.

I wonder if it's like that for anyone else, because they'd be missing out on a few other "Normal" modes of play.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Nighthand posted:

After watching the patch notes show and seeing King Arthur in action and all the stuff they put on his kit, I made a graphic that sums it up pretty well.

I finally saw the patch notes video on Arthur.

I don't think he'll be too bad. His backline diving presence is going to be crazy, but every bruiser is basically doing this anyways. I feel like he's going to be like Cu Chulainn except more geared for single target focus (or clusters of people if they're stupid enough to stand together). Sort of like Artio mixed with CuChu.

I like that he doesn't have a cookie-cutter kit* (or worse, 'the-premiere-warrior-solo-lane' kit). A lot of gods from recent seasons were pretty formulaic, Nike probably being the worst offender. His play style definitely seems unique, but in terms of what he brings to the table, it's not much compared to what we have already.

*a lane clear ability, a mobility (jump/dash) ability, some utility that supplements 1 or more things in the kit, a teamfight ult (for warriors: a medium damage aoe burst with soft cc)

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

He definitely looks interesting and could be a lot of fun to play, it just amused me that everything just has effects stapled on and he just has so much going on. Even Hinduman was like "he has X, X, X, and X?" and the other guys on the couch pointed out he had yet another effect too.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

It seems like a lot, but some of it is eh.

1.5s cripple or 1s stun isn't much. You need about 1.5s+ hard cc for teammates to react and focus on your target. For reference, launch Ravana/Fafnir had 0.7s root/1s stun respectively and they were laughably bad. 1-1.5s of cc is more for like an interrupt. I think he's going to feel like Artio, trading in lockdown potential for damage. I'm imagining an Artio that you can actually get away from so he doesn't seem too bad to deal with.

The attack speed limitation is probably because animations are tied to his auto-attacks, and speeding up the animations probably looked or felt real bad.

Gladiator's + Hydra's is going to be...interesting on him. I think his kit is fine but certain item interactions might push him into stronger tiers. I don't think he's OP/broken (at least not on par with launch Sol/Bellona) but I don't know what items are in store for the next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Season 6 thread is up and running!

Thanks for the discussions this season. Please continue everything over there!