Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

HiRez Patch Notes posted:

The Earth Mother is getting a big change this patch, a whole new ultimate! She has always been incredibly strong performance wise, especially in competitive, but she did not feel impactful. In an effort to bring her performance into line, multiple tweaks were made that caused her to feel worse and worse to play (like the removal of the root from Shattering Monolith). Even after many adjustments it became clear that the idea of a global movement speed and healing ultimate would not work for the long term health of SMITE. Its effects would have to be measly numerically in order to balance the ability.
Her new ultimate, Earthen Fury, provides a similar effect for her allies in a localized area that protects them from damage and heals them after being hit 4 times. In addition it applies stones to enemies as well, causing them to take more damage and providing additional burst damage if they are hit 4 times. With this ability no longer being global and having effects that are not Movement Speed and Cooldown Reduction, we feel safe in bringing back the control Monolith used to provide when shattered. Yes, it now roots again.

RIP uniqueness of Terra. She was a guardian that made me change my UI so that I could keep an eye on my teammate's health no matter where they are.

Looks like HiRez will never do another global ult buff since they can't seem to balance it. Add it to the pile of scrapped unique mechanics (along with old Rat acorn, old Nox shield, guardian Vulcan, etc...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
At least she's loving playable again. I'll take a more localized ult if it means people will stop bitching to make my favorite character ruined constantly.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

They should've removed healing from Terra completely. HiRez can't balance healers, what chance were they going to have with a global healing ult?

Here, I'll make up a unique mechanic for her to replace her healing:
global ult creates buffs that grants knockup/knockback immunity on teammates, and a new unique cc where the enemy can't jump or leap (not quite a cripple because they can still dash). Add some other stuff - protections on teammates and a movement debuff on enemies or something.

Keeps to her theme of keeping things "grounded" to the earth (like the monolith root mechanic and her passive) on top of creating a new mechanic/niche where Terra is drafted to counter knockup/knockback/jump comps.

All I'm saying is, 90+ gods, HiRez. Please put more effort into the game design instead of investing so much on cosmetics and pits to sink whales with.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
My new favorite pastime is to parrot the message ragers send me after the game and loby.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
I just send them food emojis.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Zain posted:

My new favorite pastime is to parrot the message ragers send me after the game and loby.

The bm we use in Starcraft 2 is very simple and works so amazingly well.
"its u"

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
It's comical to me how they really do all have anime avatars.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

I mean, HiRez out and said it during one of their patch notes videos: anime sells.

Anime avatars, anime skins, anime adventures...

:negative:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Speaking of selling... Where's our Voodoo god HiRez?!?

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
He's data mined as the God after next actually.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
So what's gonna happen with these god chests they gave us if we already have them all? Right now it just gives you an error if you try to open them.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I'm telling you, it's true. People grow from spores.
Sitting on two myself. How many gems do gods cost? Just give me gems since I own all the gods... At least the cutesy chest doesn't just drop boosters, says I can open it next time something is added to it.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Supposedly the god chests will be turned to boosters for those with the ultimate pack, in some future patch.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Welp I opened the voice pack chest and it's a coupon which expires in probably 15 days at this point. I didn't know I already had all voice packs.

The next new god will not be out by then so :rip: this reward.

I'm not the only one in this situation - there's a post on reddit about it. No response from HiRez :smithicide:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Oh man!!! I love Arena sometimes. Nox 3-0-7 15k damage... Thought she did better than me as a Rat who was 7-6-14 with 27k damage.

"I didn't die! I contributed more than you"... Oh honey that's not how this works at all. You were BARELY there. How do you only get 15k damage as Nox? I mean outside of constantly wiffing your ult.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Alternately hitting only your ult and missing your combos

Like I always do

I hate nox

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

My KDA tho :negative:

Was she at least clearing minions? Because what the hell else was she doing all game.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Nox is the absolute worst because if she's on the enemy team somehow your character has a special magnet that draws the root directly to you, and if she's on your own team she throws the root at minions, uses her dash into five enemies to fail to kill anyone, and misses her ult the four times the entire game she bothers to use it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

cyclonic posted:

My KDA tho :negative:

Was she at least clearing minions? Because what the hell else was she doing all game.

Honestly I don't know!!! Cause she sure wasn't landing any combos!

Nucular Carmul posted:

Nox is the absolute worst because if she's on the enemy team somehow your character has a special magnet that draws the root directly to you, and if she's on your own team she throws the root at minions, uses her dash into five enemies to fail to kill anyone, and misses her ult the four times the entire game she bothers to use it.

I'm both of these people. Literally I'll have days where the only time I don't get to land my combo is because they beads it away. Then there's days were it's like... "Well At least I tried and failed. DCing woulda been a better help to my team"

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I love Nox. I am a mage player mostly though. Have her at diamond, so a lot of practice I guess, so I know how to combo or just throw down a silence or lockdown. Depends on the other gods with you. Herc, Tyr, etc (like when I play them) can easily gently caress up your combo.

She's one of my "go to's" if I've been having some bad games, and an easy OP pick on some MotDs.

Gotten good at using her ult to start a team fight (depending on my build) or just threading the needle to kill secure.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

So highlights from this patch. Adventure mode makes it hard to see any skill shots cause the colors are just off. Basically gently caress you any god with a blue reticle. Terra's new ult does 1k damage if she builds damage. It really does feel like some new form of bullshit.

I swear they changed Herc's earthmover cause now I'm like half way in the middle and it still knocks you up and sets up for the other thing. It could just be because the new adventure is buggy as poo poo though.

sharkbeard
Jun 24, 2013

Completely Unamused
I for one am delighted to see Smite's "Elementary School bullying simulator: Arena King of the hill, push everyone you don't like" game mode make a splendid return.

It's more or less the same poo poo as the last Arena 'game mode'. Tons of tanks with pushes and pulls that toss you into instant-death pits.

Jesus Christ, Hi-rez. It's as if they don't learn.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Zain posted:

Terra's new ult does 1k damage if she builds damage. It really does feel like some new form of bullshit.

but she's a punchy punchy amazon warrior!
:goonsay:

Kidding aside, this fits into the current HiRez meta/trend of making bruiser divey supports now.

Zain posted:

I swear they changed Herc's earthmover cause now I'm like half way in the middle and it still knocks you up and sets up for the other thing.

I've always thought this too - I've tried juking it by running forward into it and it still seems to hit me.

I wonder if the target is just a little off.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

sharkbeard posted:

I for one am delighted to see Smite's "Elementary School bullying simulator: Arena King of the hill, push everyone you don't like" game mode make a splendid return.

It's more or less the same poo poo as the last Arena 'game mode'. Tons of tanks with pushes and pulls that toss you into instant-death pits.

Jesus Christ, Hi-rez. It's as if they don't learn.

Still 1,000 times more fun than PROTECT THE FOX SENPAAAAAII~!

sharkbeard
Jun 24, 2013

Completely Unamused

Nighthand posted:

Still 1,000 times more fun than PROTECT THE FOX SENPAAAAAII~!

You know I can't even agree with that. At least that game mode was so stupid it was funny in it's own, sad little way.

This is just.. sad, and frustrating, with the most sweaty, tryhard and rude pubbies I've met for ages.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight
This is the third version of this type of Arena map we've seen... recycled and low effort.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

sharkbeard posted:

You know I can't even agree with that. At least that game mode was so stupid it was funny in it's own, sad little way.

This is just.. sad, and frustrating, with the most sweaty, tryhard and rude pubbies I've met for ages.

I mean, the thing is, it's still just arena with a gimmick, and that gimmick doesn't even necessarily come into play. I've had several games where only a couple people ever died to the snake pits.

Plus, all you're playing for are death stamps. For the fox bullshit it was for skins, and it was insanely grindy. It was alright 2-3 times, but by the time you're on run 100 or whatever, it was just extremely boring, and the painful Da Ji interjections were just grating. I'd rather play Arena any day.

Of course, I like being the hercules player that takes advantage of the arena, so maybe I'm the trash man.

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

Nighthand posted:

Of course, I like being the hercules player that takes advantage of the arena, so maybe I'm the trash man.

This is me right here. I mean, I mostly play MotDs and arena, with a little assault thrown in here and there, so arena with a gimmick is just fine for why I play Smite.

I usually wind up like 27/3 or something by the end of the match while our mages and hunters are like the opposite. But we win, so whatever, I don't care how other people play or choose to play. You do you.

I enjoy the hell out of the insta-death bullshit. I know I'm gonna get bored of it and that the rewards are bullshit crap, but whatever, I gave up caring about Smite or try-harding any of the modes a while ago. If anyone poo poo talks me in game, any modes, I just mute them and move on. gently caress toxic players.

I've also been getting a lot of "Action has been taken against a player you reported" recently. I only ever report the worst of the worst, but only in the past few months I've been getting these notices. I don't know what that says about HiRez, maybe they're tired of bullshit toxicity too... finally.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

coca bojangles posted:

This is the third version of this type of Arena map we've seen... recycled and low effort.

This adventure was a direct response to reddit criticism to the Da Ji adventure.

HiRez should stop listening to the squeaky wheels, but they need to take charge and actually have a direction for this game instead of the feather touches and poo poo-thrown-against-a-wall-content they're doing every patch.

coca bojangles
Nov 2, 2011

Superhuman hindsight

cyclonic posted:

HiRez should stop listening to the squeaky wheels, but they need to take charge and actually have a direction for this game instead of the feather touches and poo poo-thrown-against-a-wall-content they're doing every patch.

They should just ditch the Adventure poo poo altogether... nobody asked for it and it creates a false positive feedback loop.

"People sure seem to like playing these Adventure modes" - my imagination of a HiRez executive.

Don't they know putting exclusive skins behind grinding this poo poo is why?

Put an exclusive or limited skin behind anything and people will do what it takes to get it.

Like, look at the Demonic Thanatos skin... its seriously going to be tough for most players to get and HiRez knows there's people out there who just gotta have it.

80,000 Fantasy Points = $600 at most, if I were to buy it out right now it would be about $400... and they've reduced the Mixer chest drops because this skin is so hard to get that people actually wrote an auto-redeem program. They want people to over spend on a recolor...

edit: I'm experiencing bad weather and in a bad mood...

double edit: It's called "Adventure Hel" Chest, lol

coca bojangles fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 14, 2018

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

I hadn't noticed until I saw someone use it in game, but that Robot Jackal Anubis or whatever, that you had to buy all the birthday poo poo for, is just a re-skin of the final form of Demonic Anubis. The skin that is still too loving big to see what you're doing with in game..

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Yup, except it doesn't evolve, so it's always huge instead of just huge endgame, and it doesn't have a custom emote, but it DOES turn his ult into a chaingun.

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

coca bojangles posted:

They should just ditch the Adventure poo poo altogether... nobody asked for it and it creates a false positive feedback loop.

"People sure seem to like playing these Adventure modes" - my imagination of a HiRez executive.

Don't they know putting exclusive skins behind grinding this poo poo is why?

Put an exclusive or limited skin behind anything and people will do what it takes to get it.

Just speculating from past events and playing devils advocate: HiRez is cranking the grind/cost factor and decreasing effort slowly to see what they can get away with. I don't blame them from a company and business standpoint.

We've seen it with the gem sales that get progressively worse rates every year. We see it with each new season when everything (SPL tickets, event tickets) costs more than the previous season. We see it when chests keep getting fluff added (recolors, god/flag avatars).

I don't support their practices so I don't buy gems any more. There's just TOO MUCH poo poo out there. Even "limited" skins are a joke because almost every god has one. And some of those limited skins are just recolors of exclusive skins (Joki Loki, demonic Serqet).

coca bojangles posted:

Like, look at the Demonic Thanatos skin... its seriously going to be tough for most players to get and HiRez knows there's people out there who just gotta have it.

Therein lies the problem. Whales that have to collect everything, but those are the players keeping Smite afloat.

These adventures might seem like a waste to some people, but as long as it keeps creating profit flows for HiRez, they will keep doing it while moving the goalposts of getting rewards.

I've said it in Discord, but I'd totally support a gem drive for something like server-ping stability, or something that will feed into whatever Project Olympus was supposed to be. Right now it's just all skins, stamps, recall/global/special emotes; and all this content is just an overloading eyesore to me now.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Some guy just PMd me on PS4 to tell me to learn to play after my Ganesha went 0-0-29 in an arena win

Knee
Jul 19, 2006

Those are the kind of PMs you take as a compliment.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Please allow me to introduce you to DestroyF. A young lad who has played 75 total days of their life as Neith.

https://imgur.com/0J7PPmr

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Before even looking into it, I thought "I bet she's bad" and sure enough, the joke Neith build "Deathbringer+Med" is partially true.

For some reason, whenever I run into people with a lot of stars, they're not good. I think it's a mix of not playing other gods so they don't understand counterplay, and they tend to just lock into the same build over and over regardless of mode or match-up.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011
Hi-Rez matchmaking at its finest :thumbsup:

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Honestly, I'm kinda starting to understand why the matchmaking is so difficult to get right. The numbers don't add up at all. The guy with a 38% win ratio is a division ahead of the guy with a 66%? The two people in grandmaster are at 1500ish elo, while some dude in plat is at 1800? There's so much that seems unintuitive just in that screencap alone, it makes the ranks and elo numbers and win ratios feel meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyclonic
Dec 15, 2005

Yeah I don't get that screencap at all.The SmiteGuru elo+ scoring system makes it more confusing.

1500 grandmaster? Don't you start out at 1500? :psyduck: