Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mexican general election, 2018

Hola pinches gringos. Mexico's general election is coming up in July and the race is heating up.

As you may know, Mexico's elected presidents can only run once and are in power for 6 years. The telenovela baby president is on his way out and the populist who everyones loves to hate is probably coming in (OP is totally not biased btw).

Why am I making this thread?
The election is wacky as gently caress and some butthurt Liberals and Conservatives in the USA are already saying that Russia is behind Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador (AMLO). Not to mention the former president's wife is running for some reason (no estás en Argentina babosa). And the other dudes are creepy weirdos, but truly everyone has a shot at winning. Just kidding, the PRI will rig the elections again.

¡Vamos cabrones!

Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador (AMLO): MORENA Party (in coalition)

Haters call him Hugo Chavez. Lovers call him Hugo Chavez.

-He's Mexico's Bernie Sanders, but with more political experience and he's shed more Liberal tears. :bernin:
-He's a left-leaning populist and been in the national spotlight for over two decades. Some claim he won the 2006 election, but he definitely did not win the 2012 election.
-US media are already coming out against him, which means he's really cool and good. They're comparing his populism to Trump (lol), but he would definitely be the best president to troll against Trump.
-For all the bad press he gets, he's a fairly milquetoast progressive who wants to expand social programs and deal with corruption.

Pros: He's cool.
Cons: He lost twice already and moneyed interests hate his rear end. He's a divisive figure and left his own party to form a new party.

José Antonio Meade Kuribreña: PRI (in coalition)

This is the most flattering picture I could find, I swear.

-He's the PRI's candidate, which means he's either a complete doofus puppet or he's incredibly corrupt and rich.
-He's a smart dude who has years of experience working for presidents Calderon and Peña Nieto.
-He's being billed as a smart, nice man who can get the job done, but there's no proof that anyone likes him.

Pros: Nobody can pronounce his name and there's a lot of comedy value in his face generally.
Cons: He's a PRI candidate. He's going to win

Ricardo Anaya Cortés: PAN (in coalition)

He's a widdle baby who's going to fix the country. Yes he is. Yes he is!

-Ricardo is 38 years old, but you couldn't tell by the soft spot in his widdle head.
-He is a strong candidate with a good base of support. He would likely win the presidency if he didn't have so little experience.*
-The experience he does have is good and he is the least offensive candidate.

*Oh lol, he would also likely be president if Calderon's wife didn't gently caress him over (see: Margarita Ester Zavala Gómez del Campo)

Pros: He's an inoffensive centrist nerd.
Cons: He's an inoffensive centrist nerd.

Margarita Ester Zavala Gómez del Campo: PAN Independent

Former President Calderon's Wife

-She's a bit of a heavy weight with a good amount of political experience.
-She quit the PAN after 33 years to run for president because reasons :shrug:
-She's a bit of a corrupt shite too. She's been involved in a few corruption scandals and the fact that she quit the party and is running is fishy. If someone has more knowledge please chime in.

Jaime Heliodoro Rodríguez Calderón, "El Bronco": Independent

Independent Governor of Nuevo Leon (Al chile que si)

-He quit the PRI because of corruption and ran as a dude who wasn't afraid of the cartels.
-He's a dude who isn't afraid of the cartels.

Pros: He's not afraid of the cartels.
Cons: Nobody knows why he's running.

Those are the candidates. The stakes are high! Mexico is experiencing some instability and with a full deck of candidates, anybody could win.

This is a general election so there's a lot more to talk about, but lol look at Meade's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes, but which one is brave enough to BUILD THE WALL!

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

Yes, but which one is brave enough to BUILD THE WALL!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whatever man this poo poo's boring let's watch the Sicario 2 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pymm6cmE9uQ

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I hope Mexico gets a good president OP

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

really queer Christmas posted:

I hope Mexico gets a good president OP

Taintrunner posted:

I prefer Training Day 2: Guns Never Die

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
no jeb? hard pass

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

amlo is still ahead in the polls! looking forward to una caida del sistema and then president kuribreña

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

logikv9 posted:

no jeb? hard pass

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:shepface:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Frijolero posted:

Ricardo Anaya Cortés: PAN (in coalition)

Jeb!

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
El Bebe Jeb or El Pequeño Jeb or El Jebito

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 days!)

They all look like Jeb! to be fair. Call them Los Jebs.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Also what kind of spanish name is "Meade"?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i hope mexican bernie sanders wins

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peanut President posted:

Also what kind of spanish name is "Meade"?

Well it's the Irish surname. Meade himself is of Irish/Lebanese stock, which is why he's so light-skinned and goofy.

One of his main campaign ads ends with an explanation on how to pronounce his name because Mexicans would pronounce it "meh-ah-deh" lol

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Frijolero posted:

Well it's the Irish surname. Meade himself is of Irish/Lebanese stock, which is why he's so light-skinned and goofy.

One of his main campaign ads ends with an explanation on how to pronounce his name because Mexicans would pronounce it "meh-ah-deh" lol

Can't wait for Pres. Jose Mierda!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Taintrunner posted:

Mehhhhhhhhhhhh

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I was about to say there are elusive Irish Mexicans.

Some of their ancestors were (conscripted) on the U.S. side in the Mexican-American War but defected en masse because of anti-Catholic sentiment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqNl1zSYrb4

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 03:29 on Jan 20, 2018

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The San Patricios were loving baller and naturally got slaughtered by the US.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh here's something Mexican politics related. If you live near the border you might be familiar with border blasters, which are super-high-powered radio transmitters that are out of reach of U.S. regulators. There are some English language channels that will broadcast on these for the southwestern U.S. market, but because the stations are in Mexico they have to comply with election law, which means airing publicly funded campaign ads, as well as announcements from the government on how to avoid getting blackmailed into voting for corrupt candidates threatening to cut off your utilities.

In English. Here's what they sound like:

http://www.fronterasdesk.org/content/us-radio-spots-tout-mexican-candidates

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-public-service-spots-have-radio-listeners-2012mar11-story.html

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
AMLO says his name is now Andres Manuelovich and is seen at a dock waiting for his submarine filled with Russian gold from Moscow

This trolling comes after several outlets claiming he's backed by Putin.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
AMLO take my energy

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
gonna be hilarious when it turns out they actually are funded by putin

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

LinYutang posted:

gonna be hilarious when it turns out they actually are funded by putin

that would own bones

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
mexican navy uses russian helicopters

the army also has RPG-29s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the mexican military has a lot of german rifles and french vehicles, and more and more american hardware funded by the merida initiative. then some random-rear end russian and chinese equipment in the mix.

non-alignment is pretty sweet

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
AMLO becomes president. ivanka joins a resistance movement and hijacks air force one, flying it to mexico where she hooks up with AMLO.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Mexico developed their own rifle which will be in general use this year. It's inspired by the HK G36 and it's frickin' cool because it's named after a mythological fire serpent and even has a little snake on the receiver:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ns7VmVWcfU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

:hai:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
im starwars

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat, perrito supergordito gets around

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
i knew the white minority dominated mexican politics but god drat thats a lot of pale mexicans

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

el bronco is my governor and hes so stupid and bad and i want him to die

babypolis has issued a correction as of 10:21 on Jan 21, 2018

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

TheIllestVillain posted:

i knew the white minority dominated mexican politics but god drat thats a lot of pale mexicans

i like playing "spot the brown person" in ads. its a very difficult game

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

babypolis posted:

el bronco is my governor and hes so stupid and bad and i want him to die
i'm pretty sure that can be arranged

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
you weren't kidding about the guy being really ugly op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
do the zapatistas ever run anyone for federal office or do they just focus on holding down the fort in Chiapas??

mexico hasnt had good presidente in a while and it looks like that trend will continue

(vicente fox was kinda shiet iirc, tho ofc he's awesome @ twitter)

voted MORENA - the rest of them look xtremely bad - like american bad

:mexico:

Mariana Horchata has issued a correction as of 13:45 on Jan 21, 2018