Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Problem description: Using one of these:
http://www.verbatim.com/prod/accessories/card-readers/usb-3.0-universal-card-reader-sku-97706/
(USB 3 Memory Card reader)
To read one of these:
https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-174
(Transcend CompactFlash 133x 2GB)

After about 5-10 minutes the "active" light on the card reader turns off and Windows no longer sees the card/mounted drive. Any other USB device plugged into the computer after that does not register until reboot (in any port, not just the port the Card Reader was on). However, current USB devices (keyboard, mouse, etc.) all work fine.

Event viewer doesn't have much to offer, although there are "WHEA-Logger EventID 17" errors that seem to be occurring around the same time. Here's the info:
code:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1C:0x0
Vendor ID:Device ID: 0x8086:0xA116
Class Code: 0x30400
I have no idea how to read this, but some Googling around indicates it may be unrelated RealTek network card driver problem common to prebuilt computers like mine.

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?
Not much thus far; when the Card is reader is "on" I can see it's entry in Device Manager and everything is fine there, the driver is up to date (generic Windows USB driver). I've ran the "Hardware and Devices" Troubleshooter which runs, but never finishes "Scanning for hardware changes".

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?
Other than purchasing and plugging in the Card Reader, no.
--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64x, all Windows Updates up to date

System specs:
Acer Aspire T3-710
https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-t3-710-w-tower-core-i7-6700-3-4-ghz-16-gb-2-tb-dtb1haa004/specs/
i7-6700 @ 3.40GHz
8GB Ram

Canada

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes; much of the Googling seems to be about "dead" USB ports (e.g. always dead), but nothing I could find about plugging in a device that "kills" USB like this. The fact that it "dies" and then can run, once after rebooting, implies to me that some central USB management thing is crashing out. But the fact that existing USB devices still work is a bit of a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

An update (new post instead of editing in info):
Went into device manager and disabled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting on the USBHUB 3.0 and rebooted.

Upon reboot, I noticed something this time. In the systray the "USB thinger plugged and safe to eject" icon appeared and disappeared several times. I got a My Computer window up and during the same time a "USB Drive (E:)" entry with a question mark over it appeared and disappeared several times as well. Eventually (10 times? 20 times?) I got a window that says "Please insert a disk into USB Drive e:"; I clicked cancel (the only thing I could click) and the reappear/disappear activity stopped. The only that appeared in Event Viewer is the "WHEA-Logger" error referenced above again, which might not be as unrelated as I thought and I'm going to look into more.

In device manager it's currently showing up as "Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device" with no warnings or exclamations, and USB Drive E: shows up in My Computer. Double clicking it repeats the "Please insert" message from above.

Disabling the power save seems to have done something, in that the device doesn't turn off any more and I'm able to plug/unplug USB devices again. But I think something is failing in how the CompactFlash card is being read/mounted. Going into diskmgmt shows it as there as Healthy (Active, Primary Partition) but I can't actually do anything other than Delete Volume, which I obviously don't want. To make sure it isn't the CF, I've tried two others and they all act the same way.

Update to the update: Actually in the middle of writing this message (multi-monitor) I see the partition has disappeared from diskmgmt, and doing a Disk Rescan just locks up the program. Something really odd is going on; it's like Windows "recognizes" the drive for maybe 30 seconds to a minute at a time, and then something goes wrong and it disappears.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Update to the update to the update:
I was wrong about power staying on, after the partition disappeared the usb card reader is de-powered and cannot be plugged back in again. Back to square 1!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have you tried plugging it into a different USB port? Is it plugged into a USB 3.0 or a USB 2.0 port? Have you tried using a different USB cable?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you tried plugging it into a different USB port? Is it plugged into a USB 3.0 or a USB 2.0 port? Have you tried using a different USB cable?

I was using all the ports; first on USB 3, then USB 2 (which it said it's "100% compatible" with). Can't switch out the USB cable though since it has a USB 3 Standard A plug on the device side, and I don't have anything else that fits that.

As for the update: plugged it into a Windows 7 machine and everything worked exactly as it should. Turns out the CompactFlash was formatted Ext3 (embedded device memory card), but I just grabbed Ext2Fsd and it went smooth as silk. I am prepared to say that this was a Windows 10 USB-fuckupery problem due to the drastic difference in how the card reader behaved when plugged into various OSes. Either Microsoft hosed up the driver, or Verbatim's upstream chinese factory hosed up how the device uses them.

So problem solved! Thanks Windows 10! Only 2.5 years since release and you still can't loving get hardware right.

• Locked thread