Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
  • Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.




Brother Braewyn of the Forgotten Monks posted:

It seems to me that whatever gods may exist in the realms before here have forsaken this place. There is only death and suffering here, blood and boils, disease and famine. Perhaps this was once a verdant land populated by proud peoples, or perhaps some higher power built these ruins. Whatever the case, we are here now, in this land beyond the veil of our first deaths. We have descended into hell, perhaps.

May we not descend again when we leave this place.

Session One



This is a land beyond death, where wayward souls find themselves and are forced to begin anew. Here everything is harder, everything is more hopeless, every struggle and tribulation and pain amplified. It is here that five of the dead find themselves, and must make do with what they have.

Remember to pay your keep. If you have a move that triggers at the start of a session, it triggers now.

Pentaviso

Your head is pounding, again. You would think that by now you would have learned that the liquor here tastes worse, and the hangovers hurt worse, but nonetheless another night has come and gone and here you are, looking out your window here over the morning mists as the sun rises behind you, your head screaming. The mists come in every morning off the Infinite Sea, rolling into the lower parts of this town called Greycrag. The subject your amorous adventures from last night (who?) lies sleeping in your bed while you take a sip of wine in the hopes of providing some small relief. As you stand there, there is a sharp rap on the door, and before you can respond, it opens. Two of the town guard enter your room uninvited. One, with far fancier trim than the others, takes a look at the person sleeping in your bed, shakes their head, then looks at you.

"Lord Pentaviso!" he proclaims. "The Lady of Greycrag wishes for you to come to her throne room at once. She desires to speak with you." The tone of his voice it makes clear that this isn't a friendly request. What do you do?

Tikorn

It is hard to say how many days you have been traveling. After catching wind of a rumor of a vast city to the east in which all manner of thieves and scoundrels live, you set out with your crew in search of the one called Botentin. But a life at sea did not prepare you for this hardship.

You are lost, perhaps hopelessly, in a place they call Rockreach. A vast desert of red rocks, scorching hot in the day and freezing cold at night, with no water or food for miles. You're no fool, you brought water enough to drink and hardtack enough to eat for you and your men, but men die fast out here and horses die faster. Already you have lost three horses, and two days ago you lost your first crewman. You couldn't dig through the rocks to bury him, so you left his body to bake in the sun. Horrible way to go.

Your navigator (what was her name?) comes up to you and informs you that, if her sextant measurements of the night sky are correct, you have been traveling in circles for several days now. She recommends making a course due west, out of this blasted land. Before you can decide, you hear a low rumble from the ground. You've heard it before, but something about this time feels different. This is no landslide or earthquake, but something more. Something alive.

What do you do?

Xie

It's pitch black when you awake. The air is almost deathly still, and it reeks of poo poo and blood. You go to move your arms and... shackled. You remember. A bar, an insult given, a dishonor that could not be ignored. A blade drawn, a table flipped, a knife in a neck, a pool of blood. You surrendered to the guards immediately, of course--you're no fool and didn't wish for the situation to get any more out of hand than it already was--and led to the dungeons of Greycrag. Several hours pass like this, your body aching from the awkward position you've been chained to the wall.

A soldier, not a guard, is the first to enter this place. He sets his torch in a sconce on the wall, and unlocks your cell. "Xie," he snarls. "Xie, Who Walks Again". This time he spits. "What makes you think you're loving special, eh? We all walk again. You think I don't remember my mate beating my face bloody and waking up here? I spit on your title."

He holds a few seconds, then speaks again. "But fortunately for you, I am not lord of this place. By order of the Lady of Greycrag, you are free to go." He unchains your wrists and fall you to the floor, free. "She recommends you leave this place before the family of the man you killed seeks you out. I'm not your father, you can do what you drat well you please." Now he pushes his face directly up into yours and grabs your chin, forcing you to stare directly into his eyes. "I'd be careful if I was you, though. The Eyes will always be watching you." He leaves before you can get to your feet.

Now you stand alone in a cell, a torch still burning in a sconce, your possessions in the corner where the guards left them last night. You know the way out, to Greycrag, and know that you could likely stay here if you wish, or you could flee like the Lady recommended. What do you do?

Albrecht Donnerfeldt

Another morning. You gaze out the window, first towards the Infinite Sea to the west, then across your room to watch the sun rise. It's red this morning--blood red. An omen, if the people of Broken Tooth are to be believed. But what do they know anyway? They are small in number, and reek of poo poo. Here in this crumbling tower, you cannot smell them.

You can, however, hear them. And, perhaps more importantly, you hear the sound of the front gate opening, and a blasting of trumpets. You look down on the town square below, and see a small delegation from another place entering your small town. Four guards and an ambassador of some sort. You recognize their banner immediately, the distinctive red-and-black pattern of House Entremar. You don't recognize the ambassador, however. Probably not even a member of the House, to be honest. You can see a few of your own men speaking with the delegation, and then one leaves and begins the trek up your tower. Coming to fetch you, presumably.

What do you do?

Siroko, the Seventh Thunder

Vengeance is so close you can taste it. You've never been this far to the southeast before, along the banks of a lake you have never seen (what was it people called it, again?), you have found the cabin described. It's small, laughably small for the person who dwells inside. You know him well. Traegor Mondrovan, the First Thunder.

As if by some divine fiat, lightning cracks across the sky as the cabin comes into view. Strange, there is no storm brewing on the horizon. Smoke billows out of the cabin's chimney, a calling card to you. There is no way this is the wrong place, as it is exactly like those men described it to you: a small wooden cabin on the coast of a lake, nestled between two steep hills, with no other living soul around for miles. You have him here, in this place, as the sun begins to rise. Vengeance is yours for the taking. What do you do?

------------

An Appendix

A map of the realm beyond the veil of Death


A collection of NPCs

A Listing of the Sessions
Session One
Session Two

quiggy fucked around with this message at Apr 16, 2018 around 14:47

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...




I am chained. I have been chained before, more than once. It never lasts. I am Xíe, the Unfettered! These fetters, too, will fall away. Yes, my body aches--the manacles were set into the wall at a height meant for the average man, not for my full seven feet of height--but I endure, uncomplaining.

When the soldier comes, my eyes, golden and wild, meet his, unflinching and unblinking. I have met a basilisk's eyes and had it turn away: this soldier is as nothing. What sets me apart, besides everything? I am Xíe, of the Shining Kingdom! My people knew no afterlife. My people were to sleep the Great Slumber eternal, dreaming the world as it passed--on shields, on biers, in tombs, in ziggurats. And yet I am here, and I am Xíe, Who Walks Again, and not all the rhetoric in the world is enough form a bridge that can span the gulf between this man and I. I don't even need to answer him: I just stare at him, taking his measure. Not my father! I smile at that, an incongruous wolf grin, and keep smiling as he walks away. If such a man could sire a hero of the Shining Kingdom, this world would be a better and grander place.

My esteem of the Lady of Greycrag, though, has just improved.

All of my possessions are there: my sword-staff, with its haft of black wood and its impossibly keen edge; my jewelery, gold for wrist and throat, arm bracelets set with scarlet stones. My ur-silks are, as always, unstained: neither blood nor filth clings to the ancient material. They wrap me, moving of their own volition, cream-white cloth tight against my shape. I stride out of the prison, stooping through doorways, and emerge into clean air.
The man I killed deserved it, and had his knife already drawn as he died. The Lady of Greycrag has released me--but not with an apology for holding me. That meant that whoever this man's family was, their displeasure was worth weighing against my considerable wrath.
I like this city, as well as I can like any city here. I have no wish to snap it in half like a man's spine with a blood-feud, and with the damage I'd do putting it to rest. Two options, then: pay the Lady a visit (unlikely that these people would pursue trouble in her very court), or leave and return to Broken Tooth, see how things have gone in my absence. Maybe linger for whatever passes for khaf or wine here. Then again, perhaps best not.

Pentaviso is in the city, isn't he? He'll likely know this family. May as well pay him a visit. I doesn't need to know his exact lodging to know where I'll find him: in the finest room in the tallest tower.

Like a stalking panther, I head for Greycrag.


---
-1 Keep, prison's no luxury. Keep left: 3

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2018 around 05:46

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty





pre:
Man, Light Skin, Luxurious Clothing, Striking Face, Arresting Eyes, Quick Hands, Toned Body
Cool-1, Hard=0, Hot+2, Sharp+2, Weird-1
1-Wound

Radiant passion: 
When you make a show and display of passion—anguish, desire, fury, any—
No one who can see you can do anything but watch. 
You command their absolute attention. 
If you choose, you can exempt individual people, by name.

Hypnotic: 
When you have time and solitude with someone, they become fixated upon you. 
Roll+hot. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. 
They can spend your hold, 1 for 1, by: 
• Giving you something you want.
• Acting as your eyes and ears. 
• Fighting to protect or champion you. 
• Doing what you ask them to do.
 For NPCs, while you have hold over them they simply can’t act against you.
 For PCs, instead, any time you like you can spend your hold, 1 for 1: 
• They distract themselves with the thought of you. They’re going into danger. 
• They inspire themselves with the thought of you. They take +1 right now. 
On a miss, they hold 2 over you, on the exact same terms. 

A magical spell that strikes your enemy’s heart as with skewers of glass (thrown, ignores armor)
A slim and jewel-hilted sword (deadly: in the yard)
A magical spell that, cast in darkness, hides you from the view of both friend and enemy, until once you speak aloud.
A polished silver mirror, backed with cavorting figures in inlaid gold.
Coins or goods worth 2 keep.

Siroko +1
Xie +2
The Captain +1
Albrecht Donnefeldt +2
Mistral +2

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at Apr 10, 2018 around 17:34

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



It's too early for this. It's too bright for this. Am I even wearing pants? Yes, okay. "Sure," I mumble. "Gimme a minute." A cool breeze rustles the room, which feels nice. I gather my rings and other belongings. I begin to ask the fancier guard a question. "Chief Marle, did the Lady..." and then I notice something. I look back to the bed, then return to the chief. It's a bit easier to see clearly in the morning light, despite the hangover. "Marle. You didn't tell me you had a brother." I sigh. I hope Rafa stays asleep for a while longer, or this will get worse than it needs to. A vessel of water makes itself known to me on the desk, and I pour a bit of it into my hand and splash my face. "Chief, did the Lady provide any indication what all this was about?" It's been a few days since the Feast, I'd have expected any complaints to have found their way to me by now. Another deep breath. "Very well, lead the way." I tighten the buckle on my thin cape, and follow the Lady's guards out of the room. Hopefully Rafa understands why I'm not here when he wakes. At the least, someone he trusts should be able to corroborate. Heh.

-1 keep; Greycrag is fine but it's best to keep some glint your pockets for when you really need it.

Hypnotic: Rafa (Hot): 2d6+2 8. Holding 2.

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at Jan 20, 2018 around 19:00

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.




The Sword Master posted:

Name: Siroko
Look: Woman, dark skin, battled old armor, blunt face, raging eyes, hard body

Stats:
Cool+1
Hard+2
Hot-2
Sharp+1
Weird+2

Moves:
Battle-hardened: when you go into danger, roll+hard instead of roll+cool. When you bait a trap, hunt prey, or escape a hunter, roll+hard instead of roll+cool.

Knight-killer: in battle, when you’re on foot, mounted enemies don’t get their usual +1/-1 advantage over you. When you’re fighting outnumbered, reduce your enemy’s advantage by +1/-1.

Gear:
Warspear (deadly: on the field & vs mounted)
Shortbow & arrows (at range, deadly: aimed)
Oathholder, intricate sword of unusual metal (deadly: in the yard)
Fighting knife (deadly: in quarters)
Brigandine, vambraces, boots (2 armor)
Coin or goods worth 2 keep.

Sword Master Special:
If you and another character have sex, you take +1 forward. At your option, they take +1 forward too.

History:
Xíe, Who Walks Again-2
Pentaviso+3
"Drowned" Tikorn-2
Mistral-1

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Apr 10, 2018 around 19:56

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



0:00 Harm 2-armor | Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot-2 Sharp+1 Weird+2 | 1-keep | XP ○○○○○»

I see now how this place came to have its name. The breeze pulls at the cloak I've wrapped around myself as I walk along the Hushed Shore, but it has no teeth in it. Not like the cold winds further north. It muffles my own steps and deadens all other sound, yet raises barely a ripple on the grey surface of the Stilled Waters. A calm place, but not a peaceful one.

I see the smoke first, and make my way up the nearer hill so I can look down on the cabin. The flash of lightning burns the scene into my mind - the cabin, the stony ground, the sky as grey as the water beneath. This is a good place for vengeance. I stop at the crest of the hill

"Traegor!" I shout, my voice booming back to me off the hard ground. "Traegor!"

Spending 1-keep on lifestyle.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.






Pentaviso

The guards lead you downstairs and through the streets of Greycrag, until you come to a large stone building that you immediately recognize as the palace, such as it is, of the Lady of Greycrag. Its ancient stones seem a little worse for wear every time you see them, but somehow still stand proudly on the cliffs above the Infinite Sea. The guard in the fancy trim knocks thrice, and the doors open.

The Lady waits upon her throne. She wears a beautiful silk gown of a quality you are amazed to see in such a blighted land. Across her eyes, however, she wears a thick cloth blindfold made of what seems to be some rough cotton fabric. You've heard rumors that the Lady is blind, but somehow the blindfold seems... decorative, almost. As if, maybe, she does not actually need it.

"Ah, this must be Pentaviso! Come in, come in! Rodrick, fetch our guest some wine!" A man to her side--Rodrick, presumably--quickly exits through a door to the side of the throne and returns almost immediately with a large metal pitcher and two wine glasses. "Come forward, Pentaviso!" Yells the lady again. "No need to act so shy!"

What do you do?

Xie

The guards ignore you as you exit the dungeon and emerge blinking into the sunlight. At first you are afraid, as if you expect to see the family of the man you killed waiting there to murder you, but the town seems to either not know or not care about the events of last night. Nobody even seems to notice your ur-silks, as if to say that in the largest city you've ever seen in this land, such wonders are but everyday trifles.

The tallest tower, of course, is not difficult to find. As you begin to climb the stairs, you slowly start to recognize a scent you haven't smelled in a long time, that shite perfume that Pentaviso feels the need to wear all the time. Sure enough, your nose leads you to what can only be a door to the most expensive room. The door is already open, so you step inside. Lying on the sheets face down is a man, completely nude, who makes no motions to get up or even look at you.

"Pentaviso, darling," he sighs. "Come back to bed. What did the Lady wish with you?"

What do you do?

Siroko

A few moments pass, and briefly you think that this must be some sort of trap, but then the door opens. Out steps a man who you immediately recognize as Traegor Mondrovan. But, this is not the Traegor you once knew. His jet black skin is wrinkled and his gait is labored. His right eye was gouged out some time in the distant past, and he makes no effort to conceal it. You estimate that Traegor must have aged some thirty or forty years since last you saw him, through whatever strange magics power this place. Although you are not making your position obvious, he immediately looks directly at you.

"Siroko?" he asks, as if disbelieving. "I should have known that this might happen someday. I remember the day you died quite well, as you likely suspect." He laughs a little, which shifts to a cough. "Oh, but I am old. If you have come to kill me then I suspect nothing I say will make a difference, but if you wish, I can brew some tea instead. I don't suppose I have much choice in the matter, do I?"

He stands there continuing to stare at you, waiting for you to make your move. What do you do?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets




The Wolfshead posted:

Name:
"Drowned" Tikorn, Captain of the vessel Amphosie

Look:
A light-skinned man of middle age. His sturdy body is adorned in functional clothing soaked with salt. His rugged face is set with calculating eyes that constantly scan the horizon, looking for both threat and boon.

Stats:
Cool +1
Hard +2 [Highlight]
Hot =0
Sharp +2 [Highlight (Xíe)]
Weird -1

Moves:
Bloody-crowned
When you try to impose your will upon your war-band, roll+hard. On a 10+, all 3. On a 7–9, choose 1:
  • They do what you order (otherwise, they refuse).
  • They don’t fight back over it (otherwise, they do fight back).
  • You don’t have to make an example of one of them (otherwise, you must).

Foragers and thieves
When you have your war-band search their pockets and saddlebags for something, roll+hard. It has to be something small enough to be carried. On a 10+, one of you has just the thing. On a 7–9, one of you happens to have something similar, that will perhaps serve. On a miss, one of you used to have just the thing, but come to discover that now it’s missing, likely stolen in turn.

All Basic

All Battle

Goals:
Until recently, I was making a path for myself and my crew on the sea. Rumors of a familiar man have brought me further inland than I'm accustomed to, along with some of my more dedicated crew. Is it actually him?

Mount: Leiet
An ugly and half-wild horse (fast+1, strong+1, hungry+1, temperamental)

War-Band: What remains of the crew of the vessel Amphosie
Fifteen salty sailors armed with an eclectic assortment of arms and armor. Savage Self-disciplined against surprise, and self-sufficient ("rich"). 2 harm, 1 armor
Mounts are in bad shape and need constant attention (vulnerable: undermounted)

Equipment:
Oiled-Leather coat, helmet, boots (1 armor)
Fighting knife (deadly: in quarters)
Sword (deadly: in the yard)
Battle-Axe (deadly: on the field)
Coin or goods worth 2 keep
Pocketed leather harness

Wolfshead Special:
If you and another character have sex, they immediately change their history with you to +3. They also choose whether to give you +1 or -1 to your history with them.

History:
  • [Pentaviso: History +1] I recognize this man, Pentaviso - but then, who wouldn't remember one with his looks? I remember he served aboard the ship for a short while, and seemed to be liked among the rest of crew. He did his tasks well enough, and touched his brow when needed, but I never shrugged the feeling it was more a pleasure cruise for him. A man who likes the flavors of life.
  • [Siroko: History +2] The one who calls herself thunder? Goes by the name Siroko. She seems to constantly be sizing up everyone around her, but she's not necessarily looking for a fight. She's saving herself for some battle not yet arrived, though she certainly has the fire to fight a hundred.
  • [Xíe: History +3] Xíe? The soaking ghost I faced across my own deck stands before me again! And I'm not certain if I'm any less uneasy to see them now in the light. I don't mean she's rough on the eyes - no sir - but the way she moves draws your eye whether you want to look or not. Like a cat: Muscle sliding over muscle. The power can be perceived, but the true motivation and potential stays beneath the surface. For now. I'll need to keep an watch on this one.
  • [Albrecht: History -1] I've never met Albrecht Donnerfeldt face-to-face, but I hear the man cursed my name when I took the Amphosie from his docks at Broken Tooth. As a fellow man looking out for others in his charge - many more than my small crew and half again as disciplined - I'm certain his mind lies on matters beyond my petty past trespass.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at Apr 16, 2018 around 06:25

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets



0 Harm | 1 armor | Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 1-keep | XP ●○○○○»

I know in my heart that our navigatrix Nahra Forentci is right. When at sea, there are often better courses around storms that through them, and the captain that sails ahead regardless is either fleeing or blinded by a quarry. This desert is no different: It's spun us about and now it seems to threaten to swallow us all.

Scanning the horizon of dunes as though they were waves, I search to identify the source of the rumbling and the best path for my crew.

Read a Charged Situation (Sharp): 2d6+1 10. Where's my best escape route? What should I be on the lookout for?
Spent 1 keep on the crew's supplies. These mounts unfortunately require more provisions that I expected.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2018 around 01:39

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



I step forward, of course, and make the traditional short bow and formal greeting: "Lady Greycrag, humbly it is I, Pentaviso." Protocol is sometimes called for, after all. And I'm pretty sure that I don't want more wine right now, but I want to grossly insult the Lady far less. "I would like to apologize for my perceived shyness, My Lady. The Second Archon's soiree last night was a spectacle, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. And the morning comes quickly." A small smile, whether or not she can see it. "How may I be of service, My Lady?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



0:00 Harm 2-armor | Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot-2 Sharp+1 Weird+2 | 1-keep | XP ○○○○○»

Perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised to see an old man in the place of the one I had known. After all, they went on living after they killed me.

No, I had expected that. It wasn't the age that surprised me, but the weariness. That it was not merely an aged man, but a done man, that looked up at me.

I watch him for a moment more, then come down the hill towards him. He's right that what he says will change nothing, but I must admit I was still curious. And I knew the look - he wanted to speak. And perhaps that might tell me more of the others.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...



0:00 Harm 2-armor | Cool+3 Hard+0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 3-keep | XP ○○○○○»

His scent is unmistakable. He's lithe, and pretty, and he has a certain lethal cunning, but so often I am reminded that Pentaviso is not nearly as subtle as Ai Night's-Daughter, or any of the shadow-weavers of my land. And he is, of course, right where I expected him to be.
Or he was, at least.

"I am not Pentaviso," I tell his latest pastime, already turning to go. "But I will see what the Lady wants with him."

I shut the door behind me and head for the Lady's palace. My face and the look in my eyes are enough to get me past the first set of guards. Time for a little more formality, then. My ur-silks shift and lengthen behind me, forming a cape, darkening to scarlet.

I head for the audience chamber. The Lady deserves a visit, and Pentaviso might be a helpful intermediary there, too.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at Jan 21, 2018 around 09:00

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.





quote:

Name: Albrecht Donnerfeldt

Look: Light-skinned, distinctive clothing, stern face, commanding eyes, massive body

Stats:
Cool+1, Hard+2, Hot+1, Sharp+1, Weird-2

Moves:

Leadership: when you have to order your war-band to advance, regroup, hold
position, hold discipline, or put their damned backs into it, roll+hard. On a hit, they
do it. In battle, this means that they’re fighting in ranks (cf). On a 10+, they snap to:
take +1forward. On a miss, they do it, but you’ll hear about it from them later.

Wealth: When your stronghold is secure and your rule unchallenged, at the
beginning of the session, roll+hard. On a 10+, you have plenty at hand and available
for the needs of the session. On a 7-9, you have plenty, but choose 1 want. On a miss,
or if your stronghold is compromised or your rule contested, your hold is in want. The
precise values of your plenty and want depend upon the details of your stronghold.

Stronghold:
Your subjects are many, 100–150 souls (plenty: 2 keep, want: hunger, disease).
It’s protected by simple ditches, fences, and low fieldstone walls (one advantage for defenders)
It musters and regularly drills around 50 warriors, and it has an armory of mixed and makeshift weapons and simple armor (2 harm, 1 armor, drilled against surprise)
Your stronghold defends a coastal landing (plenty: +1 keep, want: raiders).
Your subjects include skilled tradespeople (plenty: +1 keep, want: idleness)
Your stables keep mounts for 8 warriors, plus pack animals; horses (fast+1, strong+1, hungry+1, temperamental)

Your subjects are uncivilized and rude in their habits (want: disease).
Your war-band is a pack of bloody hyenas (want: savagery)

Equipment:
Dagger (deadly: in quarters)
Sword (deadly: in the yard).
Mail coat, helmet, boots (2 armor).
Clothing suitable to your look (ragged military).

History
Xíe, Who Walks Again +2
"Drowned" Tikorn +3
Pentaviso +1
Siroko, the Seventh Thunder +1

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.



0:00 Harm 2-armor | Cool+1, Hard+2, Hot+1, Sharp+1, Weird-2 | 4-keep | XP ●○○○○»

Omens, I think to myself, are for witches and sailors.
The rest of us will have to live in the real world.
Splashing myself with some cold water from a bowl, I start getting ready.
By the time my man knocks, I'm halfway into my second fanciest shirt, one with some actual embroidery.
House Entremar is what I've, in spite of myself, always considered "Proper Nobles".
Even if it's only an envoy, it's worth the effort to properly present myself.
As the soldier knocks and enters, I see it's Gerhard, taciturn but alway reliable.

"Getting them settled in?", I ask as I finally get the last clasp proper.
He grunts in response, affirmatively.
I roll my eyes as I fasten my dagger in my belt.
Like pulling nails.
"So, what do they want?", I further question as we start our way down the tower.
By now they'll have entered the "Great" hall, not quite worthy of the moniker, but fixed up enough to be servicable.
By the time I get there, I hope to have some idea of what to expect.

Rolling for Wealth: Session keep roll: 2d6+2 7
Plenty of keep, but one want: The tradespeople are having trouble, idleness.
Does this mean I forfeit the one keep, or do I get it all anyway?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.






Drowned Tikorn

While you consider Nahra's words, you hear a commotion from your men. A few of them point in the distance, and, following their fingers, you see why. Far off, near the horizon, a large group of rocks has begun to lift off the ground in a fierce tornado. As you look, the rocks begin to settle together as if they are some form of golem, held together by wind and dust. The golem spins its head, such as it is, and seems to stare directly at your group. There's a brief moment of silence, then a brief panic as everybody realizes that the golem is coming right for you. It will be on you shortly if you don't take action now. What do you do?

Your best escape route, both from the desert as well as the golem, is the way you came. West.

Besides the creature, you also need to be wary of the deadliness of the desert at large. Even if you defeat the creature and remain, the desert will continue to take its toll on you.

Don't forget a 10+ gives you access to one more question if you wish to ask it.


Pentaviso

Following the Lady's lead, you lift the wine to your lips and sip. Swill! Not that any wine in this land is as grand as the wine you remember, but even so you've had far better drinks even here in this place than this putrid, rotten trash you've been served. The Lady does not seem to flinch from the wretched drink, and sets it down calmly on the arm of her throne.

"Now then, let us discuss the matter at hand. It has come to my attention that, some time ago, you were a guest of honor at a dinner between the houses of Entremar and Telbatin, yes? Oh don't worry, I know what happened, and I'm not here to dredge up old history." She takes another sip of the wine. "The reason I bring this up is because my scouts report that the two houses move against one another, and that small detachments of soldiers have been spotted as far from their lands as Broken Tooth. Now it should come as no surprise to you that as Lady of this place, I do not wish to see this conflict on my doorstep as I fear it soon may. As a result, I wish to send someone there who is familiar with both houses to learn the source of the tension and, hopefully, diffuse it. That person is you, Pentaviso. What say you?"

It's clear the Lady isn't looking to take "no" for an answer, but it's also clear from the wine and your general treatment that there's something else going on besides here than just recruiting a spy. What do you do?

Xie, Who Walks Again

You arrive at the entrance to the Lady's audience chambers unhindered, and it is immediately clear the Lady is currently inside. It is also immediately clear that she is not looking to accept visitors other than the ones she has invited right now, as the doors are barred and a detachment of four soldiers stand outside, polearms at the ready. None of them pay you much heed, but as you stand there observing the situation, you notice that they are very clearly tracking you with their eyes, trying to decide if you are a threat or just a passer-by. What do you do?

Albrecht Donnerfeldt

You arrive in the great hall accompanied by your most trusted guard (who?), and see that the envoy from House Entremar has already been brought here. He stands off to the side of the room, waiting for you to take your throne. As you do, he steps out and kneels before you.

"Lord Donnerfeldt," he says almost breathlessly. "I come to you with grim tidings from my great house, Entremar. War has come to our lands. Even as I speak the scoundrels of House Telbatin move against us, whispering poisonous words in our allies' ears. In the past, the House Entremar and your grace have been allies, and we wish now to request your aid in the war to come. Soldiers, supplies, perhaps even the presence of your grace yourself would be most appreciated by the heads of my house. What say you?"

What do you do?

Siroko

You follow Traegor into his cabin. It's a humble place, just one room with a bed, a fireplace, and a table with two chairs. On the wall Traegor displays his famous sword, Oathholder, that he wielded when fighting alongside you so long ago. A kettle hangs over the fire, which Traegor removes. He pours hot water into two mugs, and mixes it with a leaf you're not familiar with. The leaves steep quickly, and as if to show that he means you no ill will, takes a quick sip of the tea before it is cool enough.

"I suspect you have many questions, both about the day you died as well as the actions of the other Thunders after you were gone," he says, setting the tea down on the table. "And we will get to them, in time. But something is wrong here, and I know you feel it. Disease and violence and hatred, I can feel them all growing here, boiling up and soon to overflow.

"I will answer your questions, if you answer this one of mine first. It has been so long since you died, and I have thought about that moment every day since then. I'm sure you do not yet, but do you think you could, some day, learn to forgive me? Ease this old man's heart?"

What do you do?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...



0:00 Harm 2-armor | Cool+3 Hard+0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 3-keep | XP ○○○○○»

I see it all: which of them has too tight a grip on their polearm, not truly used to the weapon; which of them takes this seriously and which slouches, looking only to pass the time without incident. Treat the group as one man, and it remains to be seen which attitude will win out.

"I am Xíe, Who Walks Again," I tell him, as though he did not already know, "and I have come to meet with with the Lady of Greycrag and her guest, Pentaviso. Let me pass through, and you will not regret it." I let a little something of what burns inside me out into my voice: it is not the wyrd I have lost, the power I once wore like a cloak, but it is something that affects men and women here nevertheless.

And besides--it is almost certainly true, and it lets each of them take from the statement what they will. This one may not want to risk his life by getting in my way; that one may think the lady invited me to join them; a third may assume a future reward. The minds of men are more easily guided than pushed, and that much is as true in this land as in mine.

---

Seduce or manipulate, roll of 9, +1 Hot = 10.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at Jan 23, 2018 around 01:23

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



This calls for clear thinking. That being said, clear thinking is not really my strength right about now, with the blood vessels in my head still pounding. "My Lady," I reply, "as I'm sure you'll recall, while I may have been the guest of honor at that dinner, I was not in either House's particularly good graces by the end. I am somewhat familiar with their original feud, yes." It somewhat pains me to admit this, but, "I suspect their rift has deepened because of me." I take another sip of wine. Quite small, just enough not to insult. "I'm sure there's a number of the Houses, especially out in Broken Tooth, that still carry their squabble over me." I take a step forward, and pull a smile to my face. "Just one question, My Lady. What are you driving at? Your guards and constables are more than capable of keeping any small disturbances down, and neither Telmatin nor Entremar are powerful enough to sustain real war this far from their homes. What are you really trying to find out?"


Reading the Lady Greycrag: 2d6+2 9
What does your character wish I’d do?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



0:00 Harm 2-armor | Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot-2 Sharp+1 Weird+2 | 1-keep | XP ○○○○○»

I set my spear to lean against the edge of his table as I take a seat. I do not touch the tea. Not because I fear poison, but to make clear I make no claim to guest-right here - and that he is not my host.

"Long years past for you. Scant days for me. Your heart is not mine to ease, Traegor. If it troubles you, perhaps what you feel is the weight of your conscience." I lean back in the chair, eyes on his. "Perhaps whatever it was you bought with my blood wasn't worth the cost."

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.






Pentaviso and Xie

The Lady ponders this for a moment and takes another sip of wine. "You are an astute one, Pentaviso, I will grant you that. You are also foolish to think that the Lady of Greycrag would invite you here to her audience chamber if she was looking to accept 'no' for an answer. I am well aware of the role you played in driving the wedge between the houses, and I have reason to believe that you shall play a role in mending this rift."

She pauses for a moment and sighs. "I suppose it is no matter. I do not wish to be a tyrant, and-"

Unexpectedly, the door at the rear of the audience chamber pushes open, and in walks Xie, Who Walks Again, flanked on either side by polearm-wielding guards. One of them, a stout man who looks in no shape to fight, stutters, "F-f-f-forgive me, my Lady! This w-w-w-woman seeks your audience, and w-w-w-would not be dissuaded! We figured it would be s-s-s-safer to let her in than risk angering her!"

The Lady jumps from her throne, picks up the wine glass, and hurls it at the man's feet. "I gave you strict orders to not allow anyone else into these chambers, what part of that did not make it through your thick skull you imbecile?!" She stands for a moment panting, then straightens out her skirt and sits back down.

"Forgive me. Such an outburst is not appropriate, even in a situation such as this." She motions towards Rodrick, who as if from nowhere produces two more glasses and pours wine into both. He sets one at the foot of the Lady's throne, and offers a second to you, Xie. "Xie, Who Walks Again, if I am not mistaken? For what reason do you enter my chambers?"

What do each of you do?

Siroko

Traegor quietly laughs. "I suppose I should not have expected any differently from you, Siroko. One does not become a Thunder by so easily forgiving those who have wronged them. Still, had you been in our position, I cannot imagine you would have done differently. I do regret that our actions have led to this moment, but I suppose that this is what Fate determined."

He pauses and takes another sip of tea. "Go on, then. You have come here to kill me, and you have a spear right there. Get on with it."

What do you do?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



0:00 Harm 2-armor | Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot-2 Sharp+1 Weird+2 | 1-keep | XP ○○○○○»

I lean forward, palms down on the table, but make no move for my spear. "I always knew you lacked true fire in your belly. Oh, a stout enough fighter. But it was always your oaths that drove you, not any conviction of your own. As bloodless and cold as this accursed place. Here you are, at last outwardly what you've always been inside - a done man. And to think they called you a Thunder."

I'm straight up trying to piss Traegor off here, but I'm not sure if I should be making a move, or which one if so.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets



0 Harm | 1 armor | Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 1 keep | XP ●●○○○»

"Navigatrix!" I shout to Nahra, "Plot us true to the west!"

I glance to the approaching golem before turning close to my second-in-command. "Cerlen, you will lead the crew. I'll attempt to draw the pursuit while you get underway."

Settling as best I can in the still unfamiliar saddle, I nod my pardon as I begin towards the shambling stone. "I will follow once i see you away. I've no intention to die in this dry waste."

-----

[3rd question from previous roll] What's my enemy's true position?
Fight to Hold Your Enemies Off (Hard +1, acting on answer): 2d6+2+1 9. Buy an ally the ability to move or act freely. Deny an ally the ability to move or act freely.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at Jan 24, 2018 around 01:52

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



I'm not sure I can hold the bemused expression off my face. I'm not happy to see Xie, but I'm not not happy to see her, either. Her presence here is surprising, her method of entrance rather less so. "Sucle rie," I say, and gesture. Protocol; I am passing my right on the floor to her as I slide subtly to the side. What's she want?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...



0:00 Harm 2-armor | Cool+3 Hard+0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 2-keep | XP ○○○○○»

"Do not be angry with him. He was between a rock and a hard place. I am difficult to deny, and for good reason." I let her see a bit of that fire as well; just a hint. She has dropped in my esteem for this, but not far: I have learned what it means to have incompetent help, since I awoke here.

"I come to offer you my thanks for dealing with unpleasant events fairly and in good faith. Thanks--and a gift. I also seek the advice of Pentaviso on that event, as it seems you seek it in other political matters."
From within my ur-silks' scarlet cloak, I produce what I prepared on my way earlier: a gift for her. Few bear a piece of my jewelry, that which was placed beside my on my shield to accompany me into the Great Slumber, and the work of the great craftsmen of the Shining Kingdom is beyond peer in this realm. I extend to her a hand which bears a bracelet, twelve delicate snakes wrought from gold twined together, each of their mouths clamped onto a different facet of a ruby. Close examination will reveal a wealth of incredibly life-like details.
If she knows me, she knows that those who bear my gifts may return them to ask a favor of me. I do not always do as they desire--but I am inclined to.

---

Spending 1 keep for... either "tribute to a warlord" or "the bribes required to turn someone's eye or secure someone's complicity", whichever.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.






Siroko

Traegor laughs again, but this time a full belly laugh instead of a muted chuckle. "There's the Siroko I remember!" he bellows. "Full of fire and venom as always! Good to see even death could not change you!"

He downs the rest of his tea and sets the cup on the table between you. "You must think me a fool if you come here with armed with insults instead of weapons. Do you not think I have thought of your death every day hence? Do you think I do not still see you gasping your last when I close my eyes, that at night when I sleep I feel your warm blood on my hands? I drove a knife through my friend's heart, Siroko! The fact that that same friend is now here in this place to mock me for it is no cruelty compared to what I have been through."

With a tired sigh, Traegor stands up from the table and walks towards Oathholder, mounted on the wall. He places his hand on the hilt, but makes no obvious motions to remove it. "I told you I would answer whatever questions you have as best I can, and I spoke the truth. But I also know that we do not both survive this day. Do you have a question for me, Siroko, or shall we get on with this?"

What do you do?

Drowned Tikorn

After waiting a moment to ensure your band has safely mounted and begun the ride to the west, you ride directly towards the golem. It is still some distance away from where you stood, but as you approach you are astonished at how monumentally quickly it moves for such a large creature. Dust chokes the air around it, lifted up by whatever strange force animates this thing.

But you, Drowned Tikorn, do not flinch. Although a saddle still feels strange between your legs, you ride fearlessly towards the golem, battle-axe in hand. You raise it up, swing, and--

Clink! Your deliver only a glancing blow as the axe bounces harmlessly off the stones. The golem has stopped charging towards your band, at least, but now levels its gaze, such as it is, at you. If this construct feels emotion, surely it is enraged at you now, and wishes to see you ground into dust. What do you do?

The answer to "what is my enemy's true position?" seems to be here, in the desert. The golem appears to be a natural phenomenon of this place and not animated by some external entity.

A note on this combat: this combat is considered in the field. Basically anything you want to do here will be a move of some variety, if you can't figure out which would apply, ask me over in the OOC thread.


Pentaviso and Xie

The Lady of Greycrag silently motions to Rodrick, who hurries forth and accepts the gift. He retreats back to the corner he was standing in without delivering it to the Lady herself.

"I thank you, Xie, for this gift, although I question its intent. If this is about the incident that led to your imprisonment..." She pauses on this last word for a moment, then continues, "then I shall see to it that you have safety here in Greycrag. My guards shall not pursue you, and they will not allow you to come to harm from those who you wronged. But as for so flagrantly violating the protocols of my court by barging in unannounced and uninvited and not accepting the wine Rodrick offered you, this gift will not make amends. Fortunately for you the penalty is nothing so grim as imprisonment or drowning in the sea, but nevertheless you must step back and allow me to conduct my affairs in my own way. You may speak with Pentaviso when he and I have come to an arrangement."

She takes another sip of her wine and sighs heavily. "Now then, Pentaviso, as we were discussing..." Rodrick takes a step forward, clearly to usher Xie out of the building, but she raises her hand. "No, Rodrick. Xie may hear this, even if it does not directly affect her. We are not discussing secrets here today."

"Pentaviso," she says again, clearly agitated this time. "I do not wish to be a tyrant, and an unwilling diplomat is a poor diplomat indeed." She stresses the word "diplomat" oddly, as if to imply that the word that initially came to mind was "spy". "I have reason to believe that you are the perfect man for this job, and you would of course be heavily rewarded in whatever manner you choose--gold, liquor, men, maybe even women if you are indeed so inclined--but if you choose to reject this offer that is not my loss. Guards, please have this man removed from my presence!"

There is a sudden commotion as a number of guards begin moving towards you, Pentaviso, weapons not drawn but clearly meaning to extract you from the room by force if necessary. What do each of you do?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



0:00 Harm 2-armor | Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot-2 Sharp+1 Weird+2 | 1-keep | XP ●○○○○»

I'm up from behind the table as he reaches for the blade, upending it as I close the distance in a rush. My spear is in the crook of my eblow, but I meet him with fist and elbow and knee instead of steel. I drive him down, separating him from his sword. In the end I kneel atop him, pressing the haft of my spear across his throat to hold him down.

"You misunderstand, Traegor. I did not come here to kill you," I tell him, and lean close. "I came here for vengeance." I shove him down with the haft to force myself up, and collect Oathholder on my way to the door.

Seize by Force (Seizing Oathholder) (+hard): 2d6+2 12
• You suffer little harm (-1harm).
• You take definite and undeniable control of it.
• It’s safe, secure, and undamaged in the fighting.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...



0:00 Harm 2-armor | Cool+3 Hard+0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 2-keep | XP ○○○○○»

I incline my head. I had thought Roderick beneath notice, but ignoring the offered wine was a misstep, and she is dealing with it fairly.
That doesn't mean that I don't give him the full force of my gaze, golden like a wolf's or tiger's, and show my teeth as he approaches. Let all men be wary when dealing with Xíe, Who Walks Again, whatever the right of the matter is!


But then: Diplomat.
Pentaviso is no ambassador. He is an enspelled blade in a sleeve, a silk garotte. I say as much.
"I am only hearing the end of this, Lady, but I can intuit some of the matter. Pentaviso is many things, but a straightforward ambassador of goodwill, he is not. Perhaps he would be better received by the targets of his diplomacy if you and he had an apparent falling-out."
I give the men about to usher Pentaviso out a look, no gentler than the one Roderick got.
"If you'd like, we can put up a fight--just for show; we'll leave your men unharmed, but word will spread to make it seem as though you and he bear each other no good will. Perhaps that will be a good pretext for him to seek another's hearth, and to be received without the suspicion that he acts on your behalf."

That would put me in the same position--but with the Lady's promise backing my side in my own matter of unfriendly diplomacy. A good blade to have up my sleeve; my others are more literal.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at Jan 25, 2018 around 03:22

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



My eyes close briefly and I exhale sharply through my nose, exasperated, as the Lady calls for the guards. I begin to speak to her, but Xie, surprisingly, beats me to the punch. I bury my face in my palm as she begins to explain her thoughts, thoughts of me and my abilities. The exasperation continues. Through my fingers I can see the guards freeze. I wait for the Lady's response. This plan has more angles to it than I suspected Xie capable of.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.






Siroko

Although you did not kill him, by seizing Oathholder and leaving Traegor gasping on the floor of his own cabin, no one would claim you have done anything other than defeat him. Vengeance is yours this day.

Traegor's sword in hand, you begin the trek away from the isolated cabin on the banks of the Stilled Waters. But as you do so, you realize that now you no leads on the others who once betrayed you. Traegor may claim to be a man of his word, but were you to return to his cabin and ask questions now, he would almost certainly fight you and refuse to answer anything, even to the point of death. Instead, you now see so many paths ahead of you that you begin to feel overwhelmed. Do you travel to the holds of the nobles to the west and seek the advice of the great houses there? Do you travel to Broken Tooth and your former comrade-in-arms Albrecht Donnerfeldt? Do you make your way further to Greycrag and seek the wisdom of the enigmatic Lady there? Or do you perhaps travel somewhere else, a place well-known or new to Siroko in this vast land?

What do you do?

You may add Oathholder to your inventory if you wish to keep it. It is an intricately-designed sword made from the lost alloy blacksteel and inlaid with designs made with a thin gold leaf. In mechanical terms it is a intricate sword of unusual metal (deadly: in the yard)

Pentaviso and Xie

A grin crosses the Lady's face. Joy? Entertainment? Opportunity? Who can know for sure why she smiles now?

"Very well, Xie, Who Walks Again. I ask that you escort Master Pentaviso to Fort Entremar, and I will see to it that you are rewarded on your return. Ser Marle?"

The guard in intricate armor who first brought Pentaviso to the Lady's audience hall responds. "Yes, my Lady?"

"See to it that Pentaviso is removed from the premises. Rough him up a bit, give us a good show."

Without responding, Ser Marle punches you in the face, Pentaviso, and drags you out of the audience chamber. No guards make moves on you, Xie, but it is clear that your audience with the Lady of Greycrag is over, and you follow Pentaviso outside.

What do each of you do?

Pentaviso, take 1-harm from Ser Marle's gauntlet.

quiggy fucked around with this message at Jan 25, 2018 around 19:08

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



0:00 Harm 2-armor | Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot-2 Sharp+1 Weird+2 | 1-keep | XP ●○○○○»

I sling Oathholder on so the hilts peeks up over my shoulder, and consider my choices. The others are here, I know it. But not where. I'll need help to find them. And there's another name I know, who might well take me to them. I sweep the end of my cloak back over my shoulder as I turn towards Broken Tooth. It will be a long walk. Best to begin it.

Heading to Broken Tooth and keeping the sword. I'm imagining essentially an arming sword, is that about right?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



"Well I'm sure you've wanted to do that since at least this morning," I growl quietly in Marle's face. I turn to Xie and get in her face as well. "You," and yet I can't maintain even the half-anger, "you, son of a cur! I'll see you at the south gate in half an hour." And then I'm off, checking my nose and face with my hands. I don't think I'm bleeding, though. That's good. I hear the clank of some armor. "Don't loving follow me," I spit back down the hall.

"Rafa," I say softly when I return to the room. Looking at the room, now well lit by the sun, I realize the hangover has faded, but the pounding in my head has been replaced by the throbbing in my face. "Sorry for the noisy morning; believe me I didn't expect this to happen." I run my fingers through his hair. "I'm going to Broken Tooth after a bit of an argument with the Lady." I like Rafa well enough, but he doesn't need to know. "I'm sure I'll be back soon enough," and as if to punctuate, I don't really pull all of my things out of the room, only a bit of jewels and my traveling scarf and I strap on my sword.

Then I prepare to leave the tower, and meet Xie at the south gate.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...



0:00 Harm 2-armor | Cool+3 Hard+0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 2-keep | XP ○○○○○»

I hide the smile that threatens to cross my face at the sight of Pentaviso getting punched. It's not that I dislike him, far from it--there's just something about him that makes seeing him get hit particularly entertaining.

I beckon a pair of guards. "At spear point," I advise them. "And hold me--no, not like that. You can't grab my arm like I'm some tavern wench. Here, hook it around my armpit--"
I show him a simple hold, and pull him along, the other one leveling his polearm at me as we go. I pull free once we're out, and give them a good cussing-out as I dust myself off and stride away, my cloak billowing behind me.

When it's time, I head for the south gate. Pentaviso's trip; he can secure the transportation.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets



0 Harm | 1 armor | Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 1 keep | XP ●●●○○»

I had not originally sought to kill this creature, as it reminded me somewhat of the leviathans of the sea. Just as those animals can occasionally overturn small boats when the come to the surface to blow, or even become agitated to the point of being a danger to larger vessels, I feel that this animated stone is simply a native of this sea of sand that my crew happened to disturb. I had simply wished to distract it while the crew got away, but now that I am closer to the creature and I have seen the surprising speed with which it moves, I am not so certain of my own escape unless I can cause it a hobbling injury or otherwise dissuade it from this engagement.

The way my axe simply glanced off of the stone... I will need to be lucky with my strike, I warn myself as I turn to make a fresh attack. Hoping to cause it to stumble, I aim low on the creature, give a kick to my steed, and swing with my full arm.

-----

Do single combat against the golem (Hard): 2d6+2 11
•You terrible harm (+1 Harm)
•You suffer little harm (-1 Harm)

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.


quiggy posted:


Albrecht Donnerfeldt

You arrive in the great hall accompanied by your most trusted guard (who?), and see that the envoy from House Entremar has already been brought here. He stands off to the side of the room, waiting for you to take your throne. As you do, he steps out and kneels before you.

"Lord Donnerfeldt," he says almost breathlessly. "I come to you with grim tidings from my great house, Entremar. War has come to our lands. Even as I speak the scoundrels of House Telbatin move against us, whispering poisonous words in our allies' ears. In the past, the House Entremar and your grace have been allies, and we wish now to request your aid in the war to come. Soldiers, supplies, perhaps even the presence of your grace yourself would be most appreciated by the heads of my house. What say you?"

What do you do?


0:00 Harm 2-armor | Cool+1, Hard+2, Hot+1, Sharp+1, Weird-2 | 4-keep | XP ●●○○○»





I nod to Matheld as she takes her place behind me to my right. I'd known her father well, back in our world, and met her a few times after he left our company.
It had been quite a shock to meet her grown, but she had apperently followed in her father's footsteps and been quite sucessfull before her untimely end.
Leaning back on my throne, I lean my head back and breath for a few moments.
"Why now? Your houses have been maneuvering against each other for years, now. Why now escalate to open conflict?"
My mind is racing while I speak, trying to look at all angles here.
How much can I promise, and more importantly, how much can I get him to promise me?

Reading envoy: 2d6+1 9
1 held.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.






Pentaviso and Xie

The two of you meet at the South Gate. To the west, you see the closest thing that Greycrag has to a harbor, a small dock with a few fishing vessels you could maybe commission to sail you south to Broken Tooth. To the east, the road that leads you around the bay to the same city. It's a longer and harder trip than commissioning a ship, certainly, but also far cheaper. What do you do?

Siroko

The overland route to Broken Tooth from here is long and treacherous. Several days pass without incident, until one night you stop to make camp nestled on the side of a stony hill. You extinguish your campfire and unfurl your bedroll, trying to keep warm under the cold night sky. You don't know how many hours pass, but you are awoken by a rhythmic metallic sound just over the hill. Whatever it is, you know you can't just ignore it. What do you do?

Drowned Tikorn

The line between bravery and foolhardiness is a thin one, as any sailor of any real experience knows. Nevertheless, sometimes you need to make that gamble and deal with the consequences.

You charge the animated stones, your axe held high, and nearly feel your arm break from the force of the impact. The stones whip around and strike you in the back, knocking you from your horse onto the hard rocks underfoot. In those brief moments, you are too disoriented to move, your body screaming with pain, your eyes full of dust, your ears ringing from the sound of the impact. But in a few seconds, the dust begins to settle, and you hear the clatter of the animated rocks falling to the ground, whatever force once giving them life now dissipated. Your horse is in the distance, spooked but not running off. Scanning the horizon, you no longer see your crew. What do you do?

You are lucky the golem's strike did not end you there. You struck true, and the stones merely glanced. Take 2-harm, and roll suffer harm.

Albrecht Donnerfeldt

The man rises, unbidden, and meets your eye. "I am but a humble servant of my great house, Lord Donnerfeldt. I am not privy to all the machinations of my lords back home, but what I do know is this: the opening salvo in this war has already been fired, and it was not the House Entremar that fired it. The Telbatin have burned our farms and slain our folk, and we believe may even be amassing a true army. House Entremar is strong, but we are simply not strong enough to withstand this coming storm alone. Your lordship has long been a powerful ally, and again I request that you lend what aid you can."

What do you do?

quiggy fucked around with this message at Jan 29, 2018 around 17:13

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


1-Wound | 0-Armor | 1-Keep | x o o o o >
Cool-1, Hard=0, Hot+2, Sharp+2, Weird-1


Gazing out over the crashing waves, I look over the boats, dinghys, and those vessels that deign to call themselves ships. Quickly, I reach a conclusion, though truthfully it was probably somewhat predetermined. "I don't trust anyone except Captain Tikorn out on the Infinite Sea," I tell Xie, "not even across the so-called Slumbering Bay." So I hassle the various traders and merchants, looking for someone to gather equipment from, escort our small party (if and only if the price is right, Xie is more than capable and I'm no slouch myself), and ideally, pay us for a courier contract to Broken Tooth.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.



0:00 Harm 2-armor | Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot-2 Sharp+1 Weird+2 | 1-keep | XP ●●○○○»

My eyes snap open at the sound. My hand reaches out and grasps the haft of my spear, but by the time I'm on my feet I can tell it's coming from some distance away. I quickly pull on my boots and armor, and the baldric for Oathholder. I collect the rest of my gear too - fortunately I don't have much and most it was already put away - but don't strap the pack on. Instead I carry it in one hand, my spear in the other as I crouch walk up to towards the top of the hill. I drop it as I get close, and stay low to peer over the crest without exposing myself, trying to determine what I'm dealing with here.

Read a Situation (+Sharp): 2d6+1 9
• what should I be on the lookout for?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...



0:00 Harm 2-armor | Cool+3 Hard+0 Hot+1 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 2-keep | XP ○○○○○»

Mostly, I watch Pentaviso work, my height and bearing and the gleaming, ancient metal of my staff-sword doing the work of showing that we'll make reliable couriers. This is something men like him do that does not come natrally to me: taking a journey we were going to pay for, and turning it into something others will pay us for.

I don't object in the slightest.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.






Siroko

Peeking over the hill, you see something you have never seen before in this land: an honest-to-god unit of soldiers, dressed head-to-toe in well-made armor and marching in formation. Throughout the group, which you estimate to be maybe one hundred or more soldiers, you see bannermen carrying the green-and-yellow standard of House Telbatin. Each soldier is armed with a long spear tipped in a cruel bronze blade, and many carry knives or bows as well. A man in the front, one of the few carrying a torch to illuminate their path at night, holds up his fist and issues an order. "Halt!"

The unit stops in its tracks. You've seen soldiers this well-disciplined before, but only back before your death, never here in this place. Few men willingly dedicate their second leases on life to a liege-lord, and fewer still are willing to undergo training. What armies you have seen here are barely deserving of the name, closer to squabbling groups of mercenaries and scoundrels than the well-organized soldiers you remember from your home. "At ease!"

The soldiers begin to disperse, setting up small camps, breaking out wineskins, and playing various gambling games with one another. A rest then, during whatever march this is. No one seems to have noticed you yet, but you fear that it's only a matter of time.

What do you do?

Pentaviso and Xie

You spend some time walking the stalls and carts of the market, trying to find a merchant looking to hire you, until eventually you find a woman who seems interested. She's young, perhaps mid-20s, with a pretty face, striking blues eyes, long blond hair, and a dress that signifies that she, perhaps, is not the most successful of merchants. She identifies herself as Katarin of Bolevar, a place you have never heard of before. When you find her, she's in the process of loading a few unmarked barrels onto a small cart, pulled by a single horse.

"I'm looking to return to my home in Broken Tooth after a rather successful trading trip here in Greycrag," she explains. "I've the barrels you see here, stocked mainly with grains, salted meats, and a few assorted trinkets and other sundries to sell back home. As you can see I'm not exactly a big-name merchant around here, but that may work to your benefit. Most of my competitors here have dedicated guards they pay regularly, while it's rare for me to need any escorts at all. If you're interested in helping me bring these goods back to Broken Tooth, I can pay you both some gold up front, and more when we deliver my goods safely."

What do you do?

In game terms, Katarin is offering you coin worth 1-keep up front, with a promise of coin worth an additional 2-keep on safe delivery to Broken Tooth.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


1-Wound | 0-Armor | 1-Keep | x o o o o >
Cool-1, Hard=0, Hot+2, Sharp+2, Weird-1


I have a sneaking suspicion that Katarin's not taking exactly what she's saying she's taking - if she doesn't usually need guards, why now? Regardless, "we'll take that deal, Katarin." I'm sure Xie and I can handle whatever errant banditry comes along, if any at all. I see her dagger at her waist; at least she knows to put on the image of not being harmless. More likely, she knows how to use the thing, but ideally, Xie could end any threats before they even start. The more the day develops, the more I'm happy to see her. Hm. "How long of a journey do you anticipate, Katarin? It has been some time since I've traveled to Broken Tooth."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets



2 Harm | 1 armor | Cool+1 Hard+2 Hot=0 Sharp+1 Weird-1 | 1 keep | XP ●●●○○»

As I struggle to my feet, my entire body screams. Eyeing the pile of rubble that had just moments ago swatted me from my horse, I wonder if it is indeed dead (Can rocks die?) or simply waiting for the next wayward captain and crew to stumble upon it. Loosening my armor and try to relax my breathing as I feel myself over and establish the extent of my damages from the creature. I will need to seek out a doctor once we make it back to a settlement.

We...

Where is the crew? The blowing sand has carried no wake, but I cannot simply sit here. Stumbling towards my mount, I look up to the sky to try and recall where Nahra had pointed.

-----

Suffer Harm (2 Harm): 2d6+2 14

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at Jan 30, 2018 around 18:04

  • Locked thread
«4 »