Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Brother Braewyn of the Forgotten Monks posted:

It seems to me that whatever gods may exist in the realms before here have forsaken this place. There is only death and suffering here, blood and boils, disease and famine. Perhaps this was once a verdant land populated by proud peoples, or perhaps some higher power built these ruins. Whatever the case, we are here now, in this land beyond the veil of our first deaths. We have descended into hell, perhaps.

May we not descend again when we leave this place.

Session One

This is a land beyond death, where wayward souls find themselves and are forced to begin anew. Here everything is harder, everything is more hopeless, every struggle and tribulation and pain amplified. It is here that five of the dead find themselves, and must make do with what they have.

Remember to pay your keep. If you have a move that triggers at the start of a session, it triggers now.

Pentaviso

Your head is pounding, again. You would think that by now you would have learned that the liquor here tastes worse, and the hangovers hurt worse, but nonetheless another night has come and gone and here you are, looking out your window here over the morning mists as the sun rises behind you, your head screaming. The mists come in every morning off the Infinite Sea, rolling into the lower parts of this town called Greycrag. The subject your amorous adventures from last night (who?) lies sleeping in your bed while you take a sip of wine in the hopes of providing some small relief. As you stand there, there is a sharp rap on the door, and before you can respond, it opens. Two of the town guard enter your room uninvited. One, with far fancier trim than the others, takes a look at the person sleeping in your bed, shakes their head, then looks at you.

"Lord Pentaviso!" he proclaims. "The Lady of Greycrag wishes for you to come to her throne room at once. She desires to speak with you." The tone of his voice it makes clear that this isn't a friendly request. What do you do?

Tikorn

It is hard to say how many days you have been traveling. After catching wind of a rumor of a vast city to the east in which all manner of thieves and scoundrels live, you set out with your crew in search of the one called Botentin. But a life at sea did not prepare you for this hardship.

You are lost, perhaps hopelessly, in a place they call Rockreach. A vast desert of red rocks, scorching hot in the day and freezing cold at night, with no water or food for miles. You're no fool, you brought water enough to drink and hardtack enough to eat for you and your men, but men die fast out here and horses die faster. Already you have lost three horses, and two days ago you lost your first crewman. You couldn't dig through the rocks to bury him, so you left his body to bake in the sun. Horrible way to go.

Your navigator (what was her name?) comes up to you and informs you that, if her sextant measurements of the night sky are correct, you have been traveling in circles for several days now. She recommends making a course due west, out of this blasted land. Before you can decide, you hear a low rumble from the ground. You've heard it before, but something about this time feels different. This is no landslide or earthquake, but something more. Something alive.

What do you do?

Xie

It's pitch black when you awake. The air is almost deathly still, and it reeks of poo poo and blood. You go to move your arms and... shackled. You remember. A bar, an insult given, a dishonor that could not be ignored. A blade drawn, a table flipped, a knife in a neck, a pool of blood. You surrendered to the guards immediately, of course--you're no fool and didn't wish for the situation to get any more out of hand than it already was--and led to the dungeons of Greycrag. Several hours pass like this, your body aching from the awkward position you've been chained to the wall.

A soldier, not a guard, is the first to enter this place. He sets his torch in a sconce on the wall, and unlocks your cell. "Xie," he snarls. "Xie, Who Walks Again". This time he spits. "What makes you think you're loving special, eh? We all walk again. You think I don't remember my mate beating my face bloody and waking up here? I spit on your title."

He holds a few seconds, then speaks again. "But fortunately for you, I am not lord of this place. By order of the Lady of Greycrag, you are free to go." He unchains your wrists and fall you to the floor, free. "She recommends you leave this place before the family of the man you killed seeks you out. I'm not your father, you can do what you drat well you please." Now he pushes his face directly up into yours and grabs your chin, forcing you to stare directly into his eyes. "I'd be careful if I was you, though. The Eyes will always be watching you." He leaves before you can get to your feet.

Now you stand alone in a cell, a torch still burning in a sconce, your possessions in the corner where the guards left them last night. You know the way out, to Greycrag, and know that you could likely stay here if you wish, or you could flee like the Lady recommended. What do you do?

Albrecht Donnerfeldt

Another morning. You gaze out the window, first towards the Infinite Sea to the west, then across your room to watch the sun rise. It's red this morning--blood red. An omen, if the people of Broken Tooth are to be believed. But what do they know anyway? They are small in number, and reek of poo poo. Here in this crumbling tower, you cannot smell them.

You can, however, hear them. And, perhaps more importantly, you hear the sound of the front gate opening, and a blasting of trumpets. You look down on the town square below, and see a small delegation from another place entering your small town. Four guards and an ambassador of some sort. You recognize their banner immediately, the distinctive red-and-black pattern of House Entremar. You don't recognize the ambassador, however. Probably not even a member of the House, to be honest. You can see a few of your own men speaking with the delegation, and then one leaves and begins the trek up your tower. Coming to fetch you, presumably.

What do you do?

Siroko, the Seventh Thunder

Vengeance is so close you can taste it. You've never been this far to the southeast before, along the banks of a lake you have never seen (what was it people called it, again?), you have found the cabin described. It's small, laughably small for the person who dwells inside. You know him well. Traegor Mondrovan, the First Thunder.

As if by some divine fiat, lightning cracks across the sky as the cabin comes into view. Strange, there is no storm brewing on the horizon. Smoke billows out of the cabin's chimney, a calling card to you. There is no way this is the wrong place, as it is exactly like those men described it to you: a small wooden cabin on the coast of a lake, nestled between two steep hills, with no other living soul around for miles. You have him here, in this place, as the sun begins to rise. Vengeance is yours for the taking. What do you do?

------------

An Appendix

A map of the realm beyond the veil of Death

A collection of NPCs

A Listing of the Sessions
Session One
Session Two

quiggy fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pentaviso

The guards lead you downstairs and through the streets of Greycrag, until you come to a large stone building that you immediately recognize as the palace, such as it is, of the Lady of Greycrag. Its ancient stones seem a little worse for wear every time you see them, but somehow still stand proudly on the cliffs above the Infinite Sea. The guard in the fancy trim knocks thrice, and the doors open.

The Lady waits upon her throne. She wears a beautiful silk gown of a quality you are amazed to see in such a blighted land. Across her eyes, however, she wears a thick cloth blindfold made of what seems to be some rough cotton fabric. You've heard rumors that the Lady is blind, but somehow the blindfold seems... decorative, almost. As if, maybe, she does not actually need it.

"Ah, this must be Pentaviso! Come in, come in! Rodrick, fetch our guest some wine!" A man to her side--Rodrick, presumably--quickly exits through a door to the side of the throne and returns almost immediately with a large metal pitcher and two wine glasses. "Come forward, Pentaviso!" Yells the lady again. "No need to act so shy!"

What do you do?

Xie

The guards ignore you as you exit the dungeon and emerge blinking into the sunlight. At first you are afraid, as if you expect to see the family of the man you killed waiting there to murder you, but the town seems to either not know or not care about the events of last night. Nobody even seems to notice your ur-silks, as if to say that in the largest city you've ever seen in this land, such wonders are but everyday trifles.

The tallest tower, of course, is not difficult to find. As you begin to climb the stairs, you slowly start to recognize a scent you haven't smelled in a long time, that shite perfume that Pentaviso feels the need to wear all the time. Sure enough, your nose leads you to what can only be a door to the most expensive room. The door is already open, so you step inside. Lying on the sheets face down is a man, completely nude, who makes no motions to get up or even look at you.

"Pentaviso, darling," he sighs. "Come back to bed. What did the Lady wish with you?"

What do you do?

Siroko

A few moments pass, and briefly you think that this must be some sort of trap, but then the door opens. Out steps a man who you immediately recognize as Traegor Mondrovan. But, this is not the Traegor you once knew. His jet black skin is wrinkled and his gait is labored. His right eye was gouged out some time in the distant past, and he makes no effort to conceal it. You estimate that Traegor must have aged some thirty or forty years since last you saw him, through whatever strange magics power this place. Although you are not making your position obvious, he immediately looks directly at you.

"Siroko?" he asks, as if disbelieving. "I should have known that this might happen someday. I remember the day you died quite well, as you likely suspect." He laughs a little, which shifts to a cough. "Oh, but I am old. If you have come to kill me then I suspect nothing I say will make a difference, but if you wish, I can brew some tea instead. I don't suppose I have much choice in the matter, do I?"

He stands there continuing to stare at you, waiting for you to make your move. What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Drowned Tikorn

While you consider Nahra's words, you hear a commotion from your men. A few of them point in the distance, and, following their fingers, you see why. Far off, near the horizon, a large group of rocks has begun to lift off the ground in a fierce tornado. As you look, the rocks begin to settle together as if they are some form of golem, held together by wind and dust. The golem spins its head, such as it is, and seems to stare directly at your group. There's a brief moment of silence, then a brief panic as everybody realizes that the golem is coming right for you. It will be on you shortly if you don't take action now. What do you do?

Your best escape route, both from the desert as well as the golem, is the way you came. West.

Besides the creature, you also need to be wary of the deadliness of the desert at large. Even if you defeat the creature and remain, the desert will continue to take its toll on you.

Don't forget a 10+ gives you access to one more question if you wish to ask it.

Pentaviso

Following the Lady's lead, you lift the wine to your lips and sip. Swill! Not that any wine in this land is as grand as the wine you remember, but even so you've had far better drinks even here in this place than this putrid, rotten trash you've been served. The Lady does not seem to flinch from the wretched drink, and sets it down calmly on the arm of her throne.

"Now then, let us discuss the matter at hand. It has come to my attention that, some time ago, you were a guest of honor at a dinner between the houses of Entremar and Telbatin, yes? Oh don't worry, I know what happened, and I'm not here to dredge up old history." She takes another sip of the wine. "The reason I bring this up is because my scouts report that the two houses move against one another, and that small detachments of soldiers have been spotted as far from their lands as Broken Tooth. Now it should come as no surprise to you that as Lady of this place, I do not wish to see this conflict on my doorstep as I fear it soon may. As a result, I wish to send someone there who is familiar with both houses to learn the source of the tension and, hopefully, diffuse it. That person is you, Pentaviso. What say you?"

It's clear the Lady isn't looking to take "no" for an answer, but it's also clear from the wine and your general treatment that there's something else going on besides here than just recruiting a spy. What do you do?

Xie, Who Walks Again

You arrive at the entrance to the Lady's audience chambers unhindered, and it is immediately clear the Lady is currently inside. It is also immediately clear that she is not looking to accept visitors other than the ones she has invited right now, as the doors are barred and a detachment of four soldiers stand outside, polearms at the ready. None of them pay you much heed, but as you stand there observing the situation, you notice that they are very clearly tracking you with their eyes, trying to decide if you are a threat or just a passer-by. What do you do?

Albrecht Donnerfeldt

You arrive in the great hall accompanied by your most trusted guard (who?), and see that the envoy from House Entremar has already been brought here. He stands off to the side of the room, waiting for you to take your throne. As you do, he steps out and kneels before you.

"Lord Donnerfeldt," he says almost breathlessly. "I come to you with grim tidings from my great house, Entremar. War has come to our lands. Even as I speak the scoundrels of House Telbatin move against us, whispering poisonous words in our allies' ears. In the past, the House Entremar and your grace have been allies, and we wish now to request your aid in the war to come. Soldiers, supplies, perhaps even the presence of your grace yourself would be most appreciated by the heads of my house. What say you?"

What do you do?

Siroko

You follow Traegor into his cabin. It's a humble place, just one room with a bed, a fireplace, and a table with two chairs. On the wall Traegor displays his famous sword, Oathholder, that he wielded when fighting alongside you so long ago. A kettle hangs over the fire, which Traegor removes. He pours hot water into two mugs, and mixes it with a leaf you're not familiar with. The leaves steep quickly, and as if to show that he means you no ill will, takes a quick sip of the tea before it is cool enough.

"I suspect you have many questions, both about the day you died as well as the actions of the other Thunders after you were gone," he says, setting the tea down on the table. "And we will get to them, in time. But something is wrong here, and I know you feel it. Disease and violence and hatred, I can feel them all growing here, boiling up and soon to overflow.

"I will answer your questions, if you answer this one of mine first. It has been so long since you died, and I have thought about that moment every day since then. I'm sure you do not yet, but do you think you could, some day, learn to forgive me? Ease this old man's heart?"

What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pentaviso and Xie

The Lady ponders this for a moment and takes another sip of wine. "You are an astute one, Pentaviso, I will grant you that. You are also foolish to think that the Lady of Greycrag would invite you here to her audience chamber if she was looking to accept 'no' for an answer. I am well aware of the role you played in driving the wedge between the houses, and I have reason to believe that you shall play a role in mending this rift."

She pauses for a moment and sighs. "I suppose it is no matter. I do not wish to be a tyrant, and-"

Unexpectedly, the door at the rear of the audience chamber pushes open, and in walks Xie, Who Walks Again, flanked on either side by polearm-wielding guards. One of them, a stout man who looks in no shape to fight, stutters, "F-f-f-forgive me, my Lady! This w-w-w-woman seeks your audience, and w-w-w-would not be dissuaded! We figured it would be s-s-s-safer to let her in than risk angering her!"

The Lady jumps from her throne, picks up the wine glass, and hurls it at the man's feet. "I gave you strict orders to not allow anyone else into these chambers, what part of that did not make it through your thick skull you imbecile?!" She stands for a moment panting, then straightens out her skirt and sits back down.

"Forgive me. Such an outburst is not appropriate, even in a situation such as this." She motions towards Rodrick, who as if from nowhere produces two more glasses and pours wine into both. He sets one at the foot of the Lady's throne, and offers a second to you, Xie. "Xie, Who Walks Again, if I am not mistaken? For what reason do you enter my chambers?"

What do each of you do?

Siroko

Traegor quietly laughs. "I suppose I should not have expected any differently from you, Siroko. One does not become a Thunder by so easily forgiving those who have wronged them. Still, had you been in our position, I cannot imagine you would have done differently. I do regret that our actions have led to this moment, but I suppose that this is what Fate determined."

He pauses and takes another sip of tea. "Go on, then. You have come here to kill me, and you have a spear right there. Get on with it."

What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Siroko

Traegor laughs again, but this time a full belly laugh instead of a muted chuckle. "There's the Siroko I remember!" he bellows. "Full of fire and venom as always! Good to see even death could not change you!"

He downs the rest of his tea and sets the cup on the table between you. "You must think me a fool if you come here with armed with insults instead of weapons. Do you not think I have thought of your death every day hence? Do you think I do not still see you gasping your last when I close my eyes, that at night when I sleep I feel your warm blood on my hands? I drove a knife through my friend's heart, Siroko! The fact that that same friend is now here in this place to mock me for it is no cruelty compared to what I have been through."

With a tired sigh, Traegor stands up from the table and walks towards Oathholder, mounted on the wall. He places his hand on the hilt, but makes no obvious motions to remove it. "I told you I would answer whatever questions you have as best I can, and I spoke the truth. But I also know that we do not both survive this day. Do you have a question for me, Siroko, or shall we get on with this?"

What do you do?

Drowned Tikorn

After waiting a moment to ensure your band has safely mounted and begun the ride to the west, you ride directly towards the golem. It is still some distance away from where you stood, but as you approach you are astonished at how monumentally quickly it moves for such a large creature. Dust chokes the air around it, lifted up by whatever strange force animates this thing.

But you, Drowned Tikorn, do not flinch. Although a saddle still feels strange between your legs, you ride fearlessly towards the golem, battle-axe in hand. You raise it up, swing, and--

Clink! Your deliver only a glancing blow as the axe bounces harmlessly off the stones. The golem has stopped charging towards your band, at least, but now levels its gaze, such as it is, at you. If this construct feels emotion, surely it is enraged at you now, and wishes to see you ground into dust. What do you do?

The answer to "what is my enemy's true position?" seems to be here, in the desert. The golem appears to be a natural phenomenon of this place and not animated by some external entity.

A note on this combat: this combat is considered in the field. Basically anything you want to do here will be a move of some variety, if you can't figure out which would apply, ask me over in the OOC thread.

Pentaviso and Xie

The Lady of Greycrag silently motions to Rodrick, who hurries forth and accepts the gift. He retreats back to the corner he was standing in without delivering it to the Lady herself.

"I thank you, Xie, for this gift, although I question its intent. If this is about the incident that led to your imprisonment..." She pauses on this last word for a moment, then continues, "then I shall see to it that you have safety here in Greycrag. My guards shall not pursue you, and they will not allow you to come to harm from those who you wronged. But as for so flagrantly violating the protocols of my court by barging in unannounced and uninvited and not accepting the wine Rodrick offered you, this gift will not make amends. Fortunately for you the penalty is nothing so grim as imprisonment or drowning in the sea, but nevertheless you must step back and allow me to conduct my affairs in my own way. You may speak with Pentaviso when he and I have come to an arrangement."

She takes another sip of her wine and sighs heavily. "Now then, Pentaviso, as we were discussing..." Rodrick takes a step forward, clearly to usher Xie out of the building, but she raises her hand. "No, Rodrick. Xie may hear this, even if it does not directly affect her. We are not discussing secrets here today."

"Pentaviso," she says again, clearly agitated this time. "I do not wish to be a tyrant, and an unwilling diplomat is a poor diplomat indeed." She stresses the word "diplomat" oddly, as if to imply that the word that initially came to mind was "spy". "I have reason to believe that you are the perfect man for this job, and you would of course be heavily rewarded in whatever manner you choose--gold, liquor, men, maybe even women if you are indeed so inclined--but if you choose to reject this offer that is not my loss. Guards, please have this man removed from my presence!"

There is a sudden commotion as a number of guards begin moving towards you, Pentaviso, weapons not drawn but clearly meaning to extract you from the room by force if necessary. What do each of you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Siroko

Although you did not kill him, by seizing Oathholder and leaving Traegor gasping on the floor of his own cabin, no one would claim you have done anything other than defeat him. Vengeance is yours this day.

Traegor's sword in hand, you begin the trek away from the isolated cabin on the banks of the Stilled Waters. But as you do so, you realize that now you no leads on the others who once betrayed you. Traegor may claim to be a man of his word, but were you to return to his cabin and ask questions now, he would almost certainly fight you and refuse to answer anything, even to the point of death. Instead, you now see so many paths ahead of you that you begin to feel overwhelmed. Do you travel to the holds of the nobles to the west and seek the advice of the great houses there? Do you travel to Broken Tooth and your former comrade-in-arms Albrecht Donnerfeldt? Do you make your way further to Greycrag and seek the wisdom of the enigmatic Lady there? Or do you perhaps travel somewhere else, a place well-known or new to Siroko in this vast land?

What do you do?

You may add Oathholder to your inventory if you wish to keep it. It is an intricately-designed sword made from the lost alloy blacksteel and inlaid with designs made with a thin gold leaf. In mechanical terms it is a intricate sword of unusual metal (deadly: in the yard)

Pentaviso and Xie

A grin crosses the Lady's face. Joy? Entertainment? Opportunity? Who can know for sure why she smiles now?

"Very well, Xie, Who Walks Again. I ask that you escort Master Pentaviso to Fort Entremar, and I will see to it that you are rewarded on your return. Ser Marle?"

The guard in intricate armor who first brought Pentaviso to the Lady's audience hall responds. "Yes, my Lady?"

"See to it that Pentaviso is removed from the premises. Rough him up a bit, give us a good show."

Without responding, Ser Marle punches you in the face, Pentaviso, and drags you out of the audience chamber. No guards make moves on you, Xie, but it is clear that your audience with the Lady of Greycrag is over, and you follow Pentaviso outside.

What do each of you do?

Pentaviso, take 1-harm from Ser Marle's gauntlet.

quiggy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 25, 2018

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pentaviso and Xie

The two of you meet at the South Gate. To the west, you see the closest thing that Greycrag has to a harbor, a small dock with a few fishing vessels you could maybe commission to sail you south to Broken Tooth. To the east, the road that leads you around the bay to the same city. It's a longer and harder trip than commissioning a ship, certainly, but also far cheaper. What do you do?

Siroko

The overland route to Broken Tooth from here is long and treacherous. Several days pass without incident, until one night you stop to make camp nestled on the side of a stony hill. You extinguish your campfire and unfurl your bedroll, trying to keep warm under the cold night sky. You don't know how many hours pass, but you are awoken by a rhythmic metallic sound just over the hill. Whatever it is, you know you can't just ignore it. What do you do?

Drowned Tikorn

The line between bravery and foolhardiness is a thin one, as any sailor of any real experience knows. Nevertheless, sometimes you need to make that gamble and deal with the consequences.

You charge the animated stones, your axe held high, and nearly feel your arm break from the force of the impact. The stones whip around and strike you in the back, knocking you from your horse onto the hard rocks underfoot. In those brief moments, you are too disoriented to move, your body screaming with pain, your eyes full of dust, your ears ringing from the sound of the impact. But in a few seconds, the dust begins to settle, and you hear the clatter of the animated rocks falling to the ground, whatever force once giving them life now dissipated. Your horse is in the distance, spooked but not running off. Scanning the horizon, you no longer see your crew. What do you do?

You are lucky the golem's strike did not end you there. You struck true, and the stones merely glanced. Take 2-harm, and roll suffer harm.

Albrecht Donnerfeldt

The man rises, unbidden, and meets your eye. "I am but a humble servant of my great house, Lord Donnerfeldt. I am not privy to all the machinations of my lords back home, but what I do know is this: the opening salvo in this war has already been fired, and it was not the House Entremar that fired it. The Telbatin have burned our farms and slain our folk, and we believe may even be amassing a true army. House Entremar is strong, but we are simply not strong enough to withstand this coming storm alone. Your lordship has long been a powerful ally, and again I request that you lend what aid you can."

What do you do?

quiggy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 29, 2018

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Siroko

Peeking over the hill, you see something you have never seen before in this land: an honest-to-god unit of soldiers, dressed head-to-toe in well-made armor and marching in formation. Throughout the group, which you estimate to be maybe one hundred or more soldiers, you see bannermen carrying the green-and-yellow standard of House Telbatin. Each soldier is armed with a long spear tipped in a cruel bronze blade, and many carry knives or bows as well. A man in the front, one of the few carrying a torch to illuminate their path at night, holds up his fist and issues an order. "Halt!"

The unit stops in its tracks. You've seen soldiers this well-disciplined before, but only back before your death, never here in this place. Few men willingly dedicate their second leases on life to a liege-lord, and fewer still are willing to undergo training. What armies you have seen here are barely deserving of the name, closer to squabbling groups of mercenaries and scoundrels than the well-organized soldiers you remember from your home. "At ease!"

The soldiers begin to disperse, setting up small camps, breaking out wineskins, and playing various gambling games with one another. A rest then, during whatever march this is. No one seems to have noticed you yet, but you fear that it's only a matter of time.

What do you do?

Pentaviso and Xie

You spend some time walking the stalls and carts of the market, trying to find a merchant looking to hire you, until eventually you find a woman who seems interested. She's young, perhaps mid-20s, with a pretty face, striking blues eyes, long blond hair, and a dress that signifies that she, perhaps, is not the most successful of merchants. She identifies herself as Katarin of Bolevar, a place you have never heard of before. When you find her, she's in the process of loading a few unmarked barrels onto a small cart, pulled by a single horse.

"I'm looking to return to my home in Broken Tooth after a rather successful trading trip here in Greycrag," she explains. "I've the barrels you see here, stocked mainly with grains, salted meats, and a few assorted trinkets and other sundries to sell back home. As you can see I'm not exactly a big-name merchant around here, but that may work to your benefit. Most of my competitors here have dedicated guards they pay regularly, while it's rare for me to need any escorts at all. If you're interested in helping me bring these goods back to Broken Tooth, I can pay you both some gold up front, and more when we deliver my goods safely."

What do you do?

In game terms, Katarin is offering you coin worth 1-keep up front, with a promise of coin worth an additional 2-keep on safe delivery to Broken Tooth.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pentaviso and Xie

Katarin says that she'd expect the journey to take about five days to a week, depending on weather and road conditions. An unladen traveler could probably do the journey faster than that, she tells you, but with a heavy cart and only a single workhorse it'll be slow going. You must be making good time, then, as about four days into your journey, you finally see the ruined towers that make up Broken Tooth on the horizon. You would estimate you probably have another day or so to go, and as the sun is beginning to set, the three of you work to make a small camp.

Pentaviso, at Katarin's request, you find a suitable tree to hitch her horse to and care for it. "Tree" might be a little generous for the plant you pick, but none of these lands you have seen are what you would consider fertile woodlands. After feeding and grooming the horse, you look back towards the cart and the in-progress camp, and realize that Katarin and Xie are having a conversation. Your suspicions about this woman begin to take purchase, and you realize that now would be a perfect time to either eavesdrop on their conversation or to look through some of these barrels, if you so chose. Or, you could choose just to finish helping set up the camp and not risk damaging your new relationship with this employer. What do you do?

While Pentaviso is out of earshot, Katarin corners you, Xie. She's clearly not looking for a fight, but rather for information. Before you can hazard a guess as to what she wants, she asks. "So I was wondering, are you and Pentaviso a thing? It's lonely out here on the road and my tent is cold, but I don't want to allow myself to damage someone else's companionship if I can help it." At first you assume that Katarin is looking to spend the night with Pentaviso, that cad, but then you realize that she might actually be propositioning you. You can't really tell which she's after, and her face doesn't seem to explain her intentions either. What do you do?

Before setting out, Katarin held up her end of the bargain and paid you, Pentaviso, in gold worth 1-keep. If Xie wants that gold, that's between the two of you.

Siroko

There's an immediate flurry of activity as several soldiers reach for their weapons, but the same man who had been leading the unit tells them stand down immediately. "At ease, soldiers!"

Nevertheless the man clearly does not trust you, as he unsheathes his sword and walks towards you. He barks an order to you to drop your weapon, identify yourself, and state why you are out here at this time of night. Getting a better look at him now, you see that he's young, especially for a man leading a detachment of soldiers. His armor is among the fanciest you've seen in this land, although he's not wearing his helmet right now--presumably it's still sitting over by his other possessions, ignored in his hurry to meet you. Regardless of how he's dressed, he's clearly agitated, and doesn't seem to want anything besides your answers as quickly as possible.

What do you do?

Drowned Tikorn

You manage to crawl your way back to your horse, which looks at you indifferently as you approach. You're bleeding very badly, and begin to worry that maybe the golem hit you even harder than you had initially thought. Despite your injuries you do manage to climb (painfully) on top of the creature and grab hold of the reins. You can't seem to recall which direction your band went, but after briefly searching the area, you do find what you can only assume are their tracks, the dust on the hard stone not yet blown away. It'll be a difficult ride though, especially if you ride fast enough to catch them.

What do you do?

Take an additional 1-harm, your injuries are worse than they initially appeared.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Siroko

The man eyes you suspiciously, and then speaks. "I am called Antu, of the great house Entremar. These lands are Entremar lands, as I'm sure you are aware, and trespassing on them is highly illegal by the just laws of my father. Especially at a time like this."

He pauses for a moment, and his eyes quickly drop to the ground. Besides his suspicion and haughtiness, you also recognize another emotion in him, buried deep but still clearly there: fear. "You say your name is Siroko? From where do you hail? What business did you have to the east? Speak quickly or I shall see to it that you do not speak again!"

What do you do?

Pentaviso and Xie

Pentaviso, you give the barrels a quick shake and peek, hoping not to attract attention from your employer. Fortunately Katarin seems too invested in her conversation with Xie to notice, but nonetheless your quick check turns up nothing. Clearly, if Katarin is a smuggler of some sort, she's wise enough not to make her contraband so easy to detect. If she is a smuggler, of course.

After finishing your duties you walk back over towards Katarin and Xie, who seem to be finishing their conversation. Xie, Katarin ends the conversation abruptly as Pentaviso arrives. She's a difficult woman to read, but you feel as though perhaps you have hurt her feelings in some way. You did not mean it that way, but perhaps she took your words as chastisement anyway.

The sun sets and the rest of the night passes uneventfully. Just before dawn, however, both of you are awoken by the sounds of Katarin speaking with someone else, another voice you do not recognize. Poking your heads outside the tent, you both see three armored guards, bearing the standard of Broken Tooth. You can't hear the words being said, but Katarin turns and points in your direction. The guards immediately see you and begin walking towards you.

What do you do?

Drowned Tikorn

The last thing you remember is the sensation of your body hitting the hard stone of Rockreach. You must have fallen off your horse, too tired and too wounded from your encounter with the golem to continue. It probably should have been the end for you, but somehow, miraculously, you survived. As you awake you in a brief panic check your body for the signs of injury, but sure enough all the wounds you sustained are still there. This is not, then, yet another life after the last.

As your eyes slowly open you begin to take in your surroundings, you realize that you are no longer in Rockreach. The air is cooler here, and not as dry either. Dust no longer clogs your lungs. And... you are inside. It's not exactly a nice structure (you've seen shipwrecks nicer than this!) but nonetheless it is a shelter and protection from whatever elements are outside. In the corner is a cauldron boiling over an open fire, and an old woman hunched over it stirring whatever concoction is inside. She has not yet noticed you awake. You think for a moment that with the bleeding stopped you could probably sneak out if you so desired, or you could remain here and trust this woman who seems to have nursed you back to health.

What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Siroko

Antu is clearly taken aback by your unwillingness to submit. He stammers aimlessly for a moment, and then stops and collects himself.

"My father, Lord Garillo of the house Entremar, would no doubt like to meet you, Lady Siroko. I apologize for my rudeness, although I do not apologize for defending these lands that belong to my family." He sheathes his sword and motions for the soldiers who have joined him to stand at ease. "I would be honored if you would share our campfires tonight and join us as we return to my family's hold. What say you, Lady Siroko?"

What do you do?

Drowned Tikorn

The old woman drops her wooden spoon with a start, evidently startled by your awakening. She turns to face you. While you may or may not be the superstitious sort, you have certainly spent enough time around sailors to be aware of the stories they tell, and immediately you suspect this woman to be a witch--and not the kindly, beautiful sort the sailors talk about after a few too many drinks, but an evil hag who turns men to frogs and steals the beauty of young women. Her teeth are yellowed and her skin covered in warts and boils, and her nose is a cruel hook and scarred from her countless years. Whens he opens her mouth to speak, it is exactly what you would expect from those tales: a nasally, withered voice that pierces your ears and sends a chill down your spine. You begin to fear that your initial reaction, that the woman was mysterious but ultimately kind, may have been mistaken.

"Forgive me, sir, I was unaware you had awoken. Cerlen, you say? No, I have not heard of any by that name here, eh heh heh." She reaches next to the fire pit and grabs a metal ladle. She fishes the wooden spoon out, then produces a small stone bowl and pours a small amount of the liquid into it. Hobbling over, she hands the bowl to you. It's a yellowish-brown liquid that meets only the loosest definition of "stew". It reeks of something, and you feel your body trying to retch as she holds the bowl close to your face. "Drink this, sir. It shall restore your strength, and then we shall discuss what I know of your plight."

What do you?

Albrecht Donnerfeldt

The man chuckles a bit. "I was a mercenary as well, your grace. While I am not now lord of a holding such as yourself, I trust that this means we have shared certain stories in our past, and that we have a similar outlook. But whereas you built a society with your hands, I found a society that I believed was ruled by good men of noble intent. The lords and ladies of the great house Entremar are flawed, like all folk, but I believe that they share a noble goal and are working to better this miserable place."

He takes a deep breath and speaks again. "My house and house Telbatin stand on a knife's edge. Without your aid, my grace, my house may fall into ruin. As such, we are prepared to offer you this: bushes of wheat and grain enough to feed this city for six months. Bronze and wood enough to outfit thirty soldiers. If we stand victorious, my lord Garillo may even offer you a seat on his council and dominion over some of the lands that we now hold--although, of course, this is predicated on your support in the war. What say you, my lord?"

It is clear, of course, that the man has been told what he can offer and what he cannot, and there is no way that house Entremar would have sent a fool to negotiate. There is definitely more that you can get from this deal, if you handle the situation properly.

What do you do?

The man has arrived from a long voyage and not yet been treated to the hospitalities of Broken Tooth. Perhaps if you offered him wine, and a comfortable room to stay, and spoke with him about the common goals of yourself and the house Entremar, he would be more open to offering more.

Pentaviso and Xie

The three guards walk towards the two of you and draw their swords. One of them, a dark-skinned woman with jet black hair and a conspicuous scar across her clouded left eye, speaks. "Xie, Who Walks Again! By order of the Lord Albrecht Donnerfeldt of Broken Tooth, you are hereby under arrest for the crime of murder. You are ordered to drop your weapons and surrender peacefully." She thrusts her sword in your direction, Xie, the point mere inches from your face. Looking down the blade, you can't help but notice a symbol carved into the hilt. A single lidless eye.

Pentaviso, one of the other guards walks towards you and holds his sword defensively. It's clear he wishes to do you no harm, but also does not want you to interfere. He's a very tall man, perhaps six feet five or so, completely bald, and extremely pale. His standard-issue hardened leather armor of the guards of Broken Tooth is cracked and worn with age, and unlike the woman arresting Xie, he is armed not with a sword but a spear. Glancing over, you see Katarin, not being held back by a guard but clearly keeping her distance. She shoots you a glance as if to say "What was I supposed to do?"

What do each of you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pentaviso and Xie

Xie, the woman holding her blade to your face does not respond to your question. Something is clearly very wrong here. The guards are clad in what you can only assume is genuine armor of Broken Tooth, true, but the eye on the sword is unlike any sigil you have ever seen. Whatever it is, whatever it means, you can't help but feel that whoever is pulling the strings and controlling this situation is somehow tied to that symbol. Especially when you remember the words of the guard in Greycrag: "the Eyes will be watching you."

Pentaviso, the guard you spoke too clearly takes your words into consideration, then takes a few steps towards the woman threatening Xie. He says something nearly imperceptible through his thick accent. There's a brief moment of silence as the woman considers his words, then she lowers her sword from Xie's face.

Before either you can breathe, however, she quickly whips around and thrusts her sword through the man's face. He doesn't even have a chance to scream as he crumples to the ground, blood gushing from his face. She spins back around, faster than you can believe, the blade covered in the guard's blood, and swings at Xie. The third guard hoists his spear and levels it, then breaks into a run directly towards Pentaviso. Katarin draws the dagger from her hip, but she is clearly scared and unsure of what to do or who to side with.

What do each of you do?

Siroko

Antu smiles and sheathes his sword. "Very well, Lady Siroko. We shall see to it that you receive safe passage to my family's holdings."

Two days later, you and the company arrive at the place known as Fort Entremar. You can hardly believe your eyes as you enter through the main gate: it's poo poo. You have heard of the opulence of the great houses of this land before, but even by the standards of this land of the dead the fort is poor and ill-maintained. The city, such as it is, is built into the side of a hill, filling tunnels both natural and carved out by some ancient people. It's larger than most of the towns you have been to, certainly, but size does not a beautiful city make. Walking through the streets and tunnels, it becomes immediately clear where the priorities of House Entremar lie: many of their citizens are homeless and lie hungry and dying in the streets, but the forges and markets are bustling with activity as the settlement gears up for war against House Telbatin. As you arrive at a garrison, Antu comes to gather you as the rest of the company settle down for a stay at home.

"Lady Siroko," he says, less formally than you're used to him speaking, "I regret to inform you that my father is currently unable to receive visitors. I am told that, if we are lucky, you should be able to see him within the next two nights, but I cannot make any promises. If you wish to stay here and experience the comforts of Fort Entremar, I welcome you to stay in my guest chambers for a few nights and hopefully I can arrange a meeting between you and my father. If not... I apologize for my rudeness when we met, and I will see to it that you are allowed to leave without incident."

What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Albrecht Donnerfeldt

Matheld nods, and leaves the room. About fifteen minutes pass as the sergeants slowly assemble in the hall. After a quick headcount--there's not many sergeants, what with Broken Tooth not being a terribly large settlement--you are ready to address them. You have reviewed the numbers and see that Broken Tooth's stores are well-prepared for the coming months. Famine will not likely strike your town, and while you could always use more weapons and metals, your small collection of soldiers should be close to being fully-armed. What wants your town has are wants that many towns would desire: complacency is the order of the day, and your citizens and traders are largely inactive in the wake of good fortune.

The sergeants assembled, you begin to address them. What do you do?

Siroko

Several long and boring days pass at Fort Entremar. You pass the time as best you can, but this is no place for a Thunder, especially one still on a quest for vengeance. Then, one night, as you are relaxing in your chambers before getting ready to sleep, there is a sharp rap at the door. You open it and come face-to-face with a young woman. She is fairly short, with alabaster skin, a thin nose, and an old scar reaching almost completely from the corner of her mouth to her right ear. Her bleach-white hair is done up in a rough crown braid. Her outfit is quite surprising, considering the place you are now in: a simple but elegant yellow gown, the skirt coming to just above her ankles, and a fine silk overshirt. She appears to be unarmed, although it is certainly possible that she has a weapon of some sort strapped somewhere within her clothes.

"Lady Siroko." Her voice is soft, almost apologetic. Or fearful, maybe. "I am called Ena Soon-To-Be. I bear a message from my lord, the honorable Garillo Entremar. He regrets to inform you that he will be unable to meet with you at this time, due to the circumstances between the houses Entremar and Telbatin. He delivers you these two gifts--" she pauses for a moment, gulps, and holds a small bag towards you, "--and wishes you good fortune as you leave here tomorrow morning." She stands there expectantly, her arm outstretched with the bag.

What do you do?

Drowned Tikorn

The woman stares at you for a brief moment, and laughs. It's a cutting laugh, the kind that puts you on edge regardless of the intentions of the laugher. And you swear, although it may just be your imagination, that as she laughs you can hear muffled screams in the distance. "My name is not important, master... what was your name?" She moves closer to you, holding a ladle full of the concoction. "Please, drink up. I wouldn't want you to lose your strength." It's clear from her body language that she's not going to accept you not drinking without significant pushback.

What do you do?

Pentaviso and Xie

The woman hesitates for a moment at your ultimatum, Xie. You watch her hands, and see them clasp her sword more tightly. It seems she has chosen "Be Dropped," after all. She spins around lightning-fast and her sword meets your staff-sword. The two of you lock blades, and she snarls as she stares into your eyes. There is something wild about her, something fierce. For a brief moment you wish you were not locked in mortal combat with her and could instead discuss the ways of the blade. But then she makes a mistake.

This woman, whoever she is, is good, one of the best swordfighters you have ever had the privilege of locking blades with. But she is not Xie, Who Walks Again. She pulls her sword back, hoping to make you overcommit, but you are far too skilled to fall for the trick. In that split second, as she rears back for a killing blow on you, you beat her to it: your blade slashes her throat, spraying your face with her hot blood. She drops her weapon and holds her hands to her throat, a look of panic in her eyes. There is nothing for it, however. She falls to her knees, then keels over. Her body twitches in its death throes, and then stops, never to move again.

Across the battlefield, such as it is, Pentaviso is locked in combat with the other guard. Of course, Pentaviso, you also are not Xie, Who Walks Again, and whatever fighting you have seen in your past has not been on a battlefield. Nevertheless you have gifts: a blade from your past life, and dark magics you don't fully comprehend. With both readied, you make your move towards the guard, still charging at you. You manage to deflect the guard's spear from your heart, saving your own life, although not enough to avoid injury as he drives the point into your shoulder. Quickly you manage to blast him with the black sands, pushing him back away and cutting through his armor and flesh. Although he is clearly a more skilled fighter than you, you wield a weapon he has never seen before, and are able to hold him at bay for several seconds. But after a short period like this, he catches you, and brings the spear down for a killing blow--

The spear stops and he falls to the ground. His body slumps to the ground, and you see a shaking and scared Katarin, her knife covered in the man's blood. She collapses to the ground, whether from physical or emotional exhaustion, you cannot tell.

Three dead guards, and the three of you all alive. What do you do?

Pentaviso, take 2-harm from the guard's spear.

quiggy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 12, 2018

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pentaviso and Xie

Katarin looks up at you, Xie. "Lady Xie, I-" Her words are cut off as she retches, turns her head down, and vomits across the ground. She catches her breath for a few seconds, then wipes her mouth off with her sleeve. Without looking back up at you, she nearly whispers, "I am sorry Lady Xie. I have never had to do that before. I hope I never do again." She retches again, but this time nothing comes out.

Slowly, she rocks herself back into a crouch position, and then stands up. Her legs are shaky and her skin is pale and sweaty. She looks towards you, Pentaviso, and you catch her eyes staring at your left hand before they snap back up to meet your gaze. "Pentaviso, thank you. I don't know what I would have done if you didn't protect me. I suspect I'd be dead now, I guess."

Katarin takes a moment to compose herself, and looks across the scene. Although she doesn't say anything, it's clear what she's thinking. Three dead Broken Tooth guards, their blood on your blades, and your cart just a few hours' ride from the town itself. The immediate danger may have passed, but this situation is not over yet.

What do you do?

Drowned Tikorn

As if possessed by some greater power, the woman moves more swiftly than you can believe to block your path. "Master Tikorn, please, you simply must get some rest!" Her eyes flash red, as if there is some fire behind them animating her now. You feel the air seem to crackle with electricity, and it's a feeling you know well: the feeling of a ship passing at night, then taking aim as its crew move to board you. This situation is quickly spiralling out of control and getting dangerous, and what's worse, you're not even entirely certain what the danger is.

What do you do?

Siroko

Ena Soon-To-Be seems taken aback by your question. "M-my lady, is it not obvious? I-" She stops herself, then continues. "My apologies. The first gift is the contents of this bag." She pulls the bag back and opens it up, then turns it to show you the contents: perhaps a dozen or more shining gold coins. "My master gifts you this gold, which should be enough to safely see you in your journey from here, wherever that may take her." She pauses again, hesitates, and takes a deep breath. "And your second gift... your second gift is me, my lady. To warm your bed tonight, if you please. My master, the honorable Lord Garillo Entremar, wishes for your last night here to be a pleasant one." Ena pushes the door open a bit, and takes a step in. "As do I, my lady."

What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pentaviso and Xie

Xie, burying the bodies in the hard earth is tough, especially with so little help. Pentaviso's shoulder is far too wounded for him to be of any real assistance, and while Katarin tries to help, she is still weak from the conflict and unable to help much with the bodies themselves without gagging again. Still, through sweat and determination you manage to dig a grave deep enough for all three corpses and lay them to rest there.

Once the grave is closed, the three of you continue on to the last leg of your journey. While the ride is uneventful, the mood has clearly changed. Katarin still seems dazed form what happened, and Pentaviso, your shoulder screams with such pain that even keeping conscious is a challenge. Every bump on the road sends a new jolt of pain through your side, and you hope and pray somebody in Broken Tooth will be able to set you towards recovery.

As the gates of Broken Tooth draw nearer, Katarin pulls the cart to the side of the road. "If you're planning on sneaking in, Xie, this is where the ride ends. I have your payment here, as promised"--she digs around the cart for a moment and produces a small bag of coins--"and I wish you luck as you seek answers. If you desire to ride with us into the city, by all means feel free to stay here, but otherwise this is the best place for you. May our paths cross again." She whips the horse to get it on the path again, approaching the main gate of the city.

What do each of you do?

Xie, did you take the sword with you or did you bury it with the bodies?

Also, the bag she handed you contains coins worth 1-keep.

Siroko

"Thunders? N-no, my lady, should I have?" She walks across the room to your bed, where she kicks off her shoes and sits down on the mattress. As she begins to undo her braids, she continues, "As for my master's opinion of you? I cannot say, my lady. It is not my place to speculate about his noble intentions, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would wager that he has some reason for not wanting you here, yes?" She motions towards the bag of gold and laughs a bit. "After all, if he wanted you to stay, I can't imagine he'd be paying for your journey away!"

Ena turns her head away from you for a moment. "Oh but like I said it is not right for me to speculate about my master's intentions. I apologize for overstepping my bounds, Lady Siroko." She swings her feet up onto the bed and pats the space next to her. "Now then, are you coming to bed?"

What do you do?

Forgot to mention it last time: the bag of gold contains coins worth 1-keep, should you choose to accept the gift.

Drowned Tikorn

Although your body screams with pain as you do it, you manage to tackle the old woman to the ground. Whatever magics she might have are evidently no protection against a good old-fashioned shoulder charge. Dust from the rough wooden floor kicks up around you as the two of you slide to a halt on the ground. There's a brief moment of panic in her eyes, until she grabs a poker next to the fireplace and moves to stab you. Whether by your own reflexes or sheer dumb luck, you manage to dodge out of the way. She's slippery, slipperier than you could believe for a woman of her age, but she is just as mortal as you. With a sharp blow to the head, you knock her unconscious. Some time then to think and regroup before she awakens. As you do, you hear those muffled screams again, but perhaps not as far away as you initially thought.

What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Drowned Tikorn

It's not tough to find something to tie the hag with--magical powers or no, she evidently still has need for ropes and has a few lying in a corner of the room. You wouldn't want to use any of them on a boat, but you find one you deem strong enough and tie her up. She's still out cold for right now, but there's no telling when that will change.

You take a quick moment to assess your situation. You still have no idea where this cabin is located or how isolated it may or may not be. You look over your body and find that that woman did in fact do something to try to heal you. There's no telling how long you were out for, nor how potent her herbs and poultices truly were, but nevertheless the wounds the golem gave you have begun to close. You're not totally healed yet, but you're on the mend. The iron poker is heavy and awkward in your hand: it'll do in a pinch, but it's no true weapon. Outside, you hear the screams again.

What do you do?

The witch has healed you for injuries of 2-harm.

The poker can be used as a weapon, but it does not have a deadly range. As a result it will inflict 2-harm if used successfully in combat.

Pentaviso and Xie

Katarin nods, and whips the horse to pull the cart to the front gate of Broken Tooth. The gate is guarded, of course, and Katarin jumps down from the cart to talk to them. Neither of you can quite make out the words being said, but you see Katarin reach into her pocket and reveal a small piece of folded leather, which she opens and shows to the guard. The guard salutes her, although not with the speed and rigidity of most military salutes. Instead, he takes his right hand and gently taps on his heart, then lowers the hand again--strange, neither of you have ever seen this particular salute before. Katarin thanks the guard and returns to the cart, then pulls it into the city.

Broken Tooth is not large, but it is large enough. The common folk bustle about going about their business, and you can't help but notice what appears to be a delegation of soldiers from House Entremar in the main plaza. A few people take notice of the cart and the strangers in the center of town, but no one seems to care too much. Overhead looms the ruined tower that all three of you recognize as the makeshift palace of Lord Albrecht Donnerfeldt.

"There's a warehouse about two streets from here where this cargo is to be delivered," Katarin explains. "Xie, I would love if you'd be willing to help me escort the cargo there, although I have nothing left to give you. If you wish to leave here and search for the answers to the questions you have, I wish you luck. May our paths meet again."

Katarin reaches into her pocket again, and this time retrieves a small folded piece of parchment. She walks to Pentaviso and unfurls it, revealing a crude map of the city's snaking streets. Katarin points to one intersection in particular.

"There's multiple healers in this town, but I know one of them personally. They call themselves 'The Sky Illuminated With Stars', and you'll recognize the place by, well, the painting of a sky illuminated with stars on a sign outside! Let them know I sent you and you might even get a discount. I'd offer to take you myself, but I need to get these goods to the warehouse and there's no telling how long I'll be." She leans forward and plants a single kiss on your cheek, and drops a bag of coins into your hands. "Hope to see you again some time, Pentaviso."

Without waiting for answers from either of you, Katarin climbs back onto the cart and begins driving the horse towards a side street. What do each of you do?

When you have time to check, Penatviso, that bag of coins is your payment for the trip, worth 1-keep.

Siroko

Ena's face immediately drops when she hears your question. "Am... am I really so obvious, my Lady?" In that instant, her entire demeanor changes. Where before she had seemed an innocent and comely woman full of warmth (whether truly or by acting), you suddenly see the hardness behind her expression, and the fear as well. Her eyes begin to well up with tears, and before you know how to respond, Ena sits upright against the headboard, pulls her knees in towards her chest, and begins loudly crying.

"I, I am so sorry, my Lady," she sniffles as best she can through her tears. "I do not wish to sleep with you. I do not wish to sleep with anyone! Lord Entremar, he, he, he makes me do this to please his guests, but it is not what I desire! He p-p-promised me that I could join the house, that I was soon to be a noble like him, but that was three years ago!"

She takes a deep breath and for a moment stops crying. "It is not right for me to burden you with these troubles, my Lady. When the morning comes, leave this place and don't look back. This bed is yours and yours alone for tonight. Please tell no one what I have said here tonight." Ena stands from the bed, grabs a single pillow, and sits on the floor against the wall with the pillow to rest her head against. She's still crying some, but the worst seems to have passed.

What do you do?

quiggy fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 20, 2018

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Drowned Tikorn

You crack open the door and peer out, expecting fully to see either the vast expanse of Rockreach or the plains surrounding it. But what you see could not be further from what you expect, in part because you can barely see anything. A fierce snowstorm rages outside, and the moment you open the door you are whipped with cold air and frost. You can see just enough through the storm to see a second building a few hundred feet away, more closely resembling a barn than a ramshackle cabin like the one you are now in. Your situation now known, you close the door, and immediately feel the wind and snow stop. A small hovel though this may be, it seems well-constructed to protect you here in this climate.

What do you do?

Pentaviso

Despite the extreme pain rushing throughout your body, you manage to find the place Katarin described without issue. Sure enough, down the street she marked is an ancient ruined clay building, marked on the side with a mural of a sky illuminated by starlight. You push the door open and step inside, and are immediately overwhelmed by the twin smells of incense and blood. Across the room are scattered beds with patients in various states of rest. You hope, anyway.

There's a rustling near the back of the room, and then from the shadows steps an imposing figure. Standing perhaps seven feet tall, the robed figure almost glides across the ground to meet you. On their head they wear an ornate helm of iron, with a fierce snout and intricate horns resembling the antlers of a stag. When they speak, the sound does not seem to come from inside the helmet, but instead from all around and inside you. There is a strange and indescribable timbre to the voice as well, unlike any you have ever heard before.

"Greetings, weary traveler, for you have come to the right place." The voice is so strange, almost as if the figure themselves is not the one speaking. "I am The Sky Illuminated With Stars. Tell me, what ails you, weary traveler? How may The Sky Illuminated With Stars assist you this day?"

What do you do?

Xie

Katarin laughs. "Oh, that? We call it a secret society, but in truth it is is anything but. That guard's name is Benjen of Red River, and he and I have been drinking buddies for a very long time. A very long time, before either of us found our way here. My home, Bolevar, lies upon the Red River. I wish I could return there someday, Xie. It was beautiful, and so unlike this wretched land. That is a salute of our home, our real home, not Broken Tooth."

She sighs as she continues to drive the cart through the winding streets of Broken Tooth. Eventually the two of you arrive at the storehouse. It is not a large building, and it is not one of the ancient buildings of this town but a more recent construction of brick and clay. When you arrive, a few different people wearing laborer's clothes exit the storehouse and begin helping you unload the cart. Katarin briefly disappears into the building, but returns shortly and helps finish the job. When the work is done, she pulls you aside to speak.

"I suppose this is where our paths divert, but I wanted to give you something first. You seemed fixated on the sword you found, and I knew I had recognized that symbol before." She produces from her pocket the same leather pouch she had showed the guard, and opens it. You're surprised to see that it's just a wallet, with no paperwork in it of any sort like you had assumed she had showed. From a pocket in the back, she pulls out a small piece of parchment and unfolds it. "A few months ago, a strange traveler gave me this. They said it was a map, and before I could ask what it was a map of or to, they disappeared. I think you should have it." She hands the map to you, and sure enough, it does not even begin to look like a map. It's an intricate line drawing full of strange shapes and sigils, all converging in the center and forming the symbol of an eye.

"I wish I knew what to make of this, Xie. But I think it may have to do with the sword. I hope you can find an answer, and if you do, I'd love to hear about it someday." She raises her hand to her chest and makes the same salute to you. "Until our paths cross again, Xie." With that, she disappears into the building.

What do you do?

Siroko

Ena smiles--just a little, but you see the corner of her mouth curl up just enough. "I desire to be free of this place. The honorable--" She stops herself, swallows, and speaks again. "Lord Garillo may be my lord in name, but he is not my lord in heart. I should not be telling you these things, but what is done is done, I suppose. When the morning comes, and you leave this place, take me with you? I wish to see more of the world, broken and wounded though it may be."

She sweeps the last of her tears from her cheek and looks at you, waiting for a response. What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Drowned Tikorn

You find a long enough line without issue: the rope you used to tie the hag was not the only rope she owned, and you've been a sailor long enough that you can tie strong knots that can withstand the winds outside. Something warmer, however, is a bit tougher. You realize that the your only options are either the covers of the bed you awoke in, which are warm but large and unwieldy, or the coat the old woman herself is wearing: underneath the ropes you've tied her in. As if she senses your thoughts, she moves just a little bit, perhaps waking from her unconsciousness, but perhaps not.

What do you do?

Siroko

Morning comes earlier than you would have expected, as Ena shakes you awake. "Lady Siroko, I fear if we are to leave we must do so now." You can barely open your eyes, but you realize that the sun has not even risen yet. "I will be wanted back at my master's chambers not long after sunrise, and if I do not return, they will come looking for me--and likely you as well, if they do not find me here." As you awake, you realize she's shaking. It's a little cold in the room since the fire went out, yes, but you suspect instead that the girl is wracked with fear. You also suspect, although you have no proof, that Ena did not heed your warning and has barely slept tonight, if at all. "The night watch will likely retire from their posts soon, giving us a brief window as the morning watch takes their place," Ena explains. "I have watched the changing of the guard from different windows many times, and I think I know the way out, if you trust me."

"Of course, regardless of whether or not you trust me, if we are caught, it is both of our heads on spikes. Or worse, I fear. So... Lady Siroko? Do you trust me?"

What do you do?

Pentaviso

The Sky Illuminated With Stars speaks again, and the voice seems to have changed in some strange way. It is almost as if The Sky Illuminated With Stars is not one person but a multitude, and now a different voice speaks from within. "The Lady Katarin of Bolevar, yes, I know of this person. Tell me, rake, what harm has befallen you? And why does the Lady Katarin of Bolevar send you my way, when there are many other healers in this place?"

You swear, in that moment, that you see the antlers of The Sky Illuminated With Stars move, just a little, but in the same moment you feel as if the incense and smells of this place have increased tenfold. This place, wherever it is, is stranger than you could possibly have imagined, and despite what Katarin told you, you begin to fear for some threat yet unseen.

What do you do?

Xie

You arrive at the front gate of Lord Albrecht's keep, but you immediately recognize that something is wrong. The smell of blood is on the air, and you could swear that you can hear, just faintly, the sound of iron clashing against iron. Before you can draw your weapon and advance, however, the door swings open, revealing an almost impossibly large figure. The person--if that is what it is that now faces you--stands over eight feet tall, clad head-to-toe in solid plate mail painted blood red. Through the slits in the helm you can see two eyes, black but for the sunlight glinting off of them. On the figure's hip it has strapped a broadsword that would like comically large on a regular person, but more closely resembles a toothpick here. The figure speaks, an impossibly deep voice filling your ears and your head.

"You are wrong to come here, Xie, Who Walks Again. Albrecht Donnerfeldt is not here, I have seen to it that he is safe. Doom comes to Broken Tooth, I fear. Leave this place at once, or risk severing the threads of fate."

And then, like that, the figure is gone. There is no magical popping sound, no wisp of smoke, no flash of light. Rather, where once an imposing figure clad in blood-red armor had once stood, now there is not. Behind, you can see dead bodies, bearing the standards of both Broken Tooth and House Entremar. If anyone lives in the hall, you cannot see them from this door.

What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pentaviso

"Stabbed, you say? Interesting, most interesting." Again the voice has seemed to change: more feminine this time, and just a touch quieter. The Sky Illuminated With Stars walks towards a table against the left wall, and throws a few herbs and berries into a bowl and begins grinding them to make a salve. While they do so, they quickly wave a hand towards the door, and you see a sheet that had previously been covering some unknown object slide off it and onto the floor. The object turns out to be a large slab made of a silver metal, etched around and around with runes that you could not even begin to decipher.

The Sky Illuminated With Stars puts down the pestle and walks towards the metal slab, bowl in hand. "Come, lie down here and tell me what happened. Who stabbed you, and for what reason?"

What do you do?

Xie

Hesitantly, you step into the room. The hall reeks like a charnel house, the stench of blood and death filling every breath you take. Gingerly, you step through the room, taking care not to disturb the bodies. You track the footprints and slowly begin to piece together fractions of the whole story. A guard of Broken Tooth who, in his final dying act, slit the throat of a soldier of House Entremar and fell with him to the ground. A servant of the Lord Albrecht, cut down in her haste to escape the room. An arrow, embedded firmly in Albrecht's throne where his head would have been.

What you can not figure out, however, is why this fight began, nor why there seem to be no survivors. But as you stand here, you begin to feel something strange, or perhaps even otherworldly. Your vision seems to narrow, just a little, and you can feel blood begin to pump through your veins faster and faster. You know this feeling well, because it's the feeling you get before a fight to the death. But there's no one else here, at least as far as you can see. Just you, a pile of broken corpses, and adrenaline throughout your body.

What do you do?

Siroko

Ena nods, and darts into the darkness. You're surprised at how nimbly she can navigate the streets in that dress of hers, but you are a Thunder and have no real trouble keeping up with her. Then, suddenly, she stops and raises her hand. Motioning forward, she says, "Up there is the main gate. At night they usually just run a pair of guards, but, uh, I don't know what's happening here."

Sure enough, there's not a pair of guards but nearly a dozen, each holding a lit torch and lighting up the entire front wall of the town. The wall itself is a simple barricade of vertical sharpened logs held together with iron. The guards don't seem to be particularly attentive, but by sheer number you know that you and Ena would never be able to make it through the gate unseen. She looks at you expectantly, waiting to hear your assessment of the situation.

What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Drowned Tikorn

Your hand stings as you pull it back from the woman's face. Her eyes blink a bit, and her head rolls to the side. Her arms begin to move, as if trying to free herself, but the ropes binding her are simply tied too tightly. She opens her mouth and tries to speak, but the words are too slurred and distorted for you to make heads or tails of. It is clear that her mind is still reeling from the sharp blow you used to knock her unconscious, and you wonder how long it will be before she regains her senses to speak again--or if she even needs her senses fully aware to weave some spell against you. For now, though, she remains incoherent and unable to speak. Outside, you hear the cold wind whip against the walls of the cabin.

What do you do?

Pentaviso

The Sky Illuminated With Stars is nearly impossible to read, you find with some dismay. So hard to read, in fact, that you even begin to wonder if the figure in front of you is human at all. You have heard tales, of course, of the strange creatures that dwelled in many worlds before this one, but you have never heard tales of anyone other than a human finding their way to this place. Yet somehow, standing here focusing on this strange individual, you begin to feel a pair of emotions resonating off of them. Compassion, both for the patients and for the world at large. And hunger. A deep hunger, unlike any you have felt before.

The Sky Illuminated With Stars seems to take no notice of your attempts to read them. Rather, hearing your story, they nod silently, then motion back towards the runed slab. "I see. Thank you for sharing your tale with me. Please, have a seat and I shall do what I can for your injuries." The voice is a deep baritone this time, resonating from inside the helmet.

What do you do?

Xie

You feel the world slow to a crawl as you push outwards. Against a corpse on the ground you feel the beating of the wings of a fly, slowly, the small air currents nevertheless affecting every other part of the room. You feel a minuscule piece of plaster fall from a high place along the walls, soon to become more dust to be swept away along the ground. And you feel an energy in the room, a dark energy weaving through this place like an errant thread on a loom. You recognize it immediately as some work of grim magic, but you are no sorceress, and the warp and weft of the spell are as alien to you as the machinations of the cosmos are to that fly on the corpse.

Your connection fades, and you feel the world speed back up again. You lose all sense of the fly, and of the plaster, and of the spell lingering in this place. The wretched smell of this violent place fills your nose, and again you feel the adrenaline begin to course through your veins, your hands craving to hold your sword-spear close and keep some unseen enemy at bay.

What do you do?

Siroko

From your elevated vantage you can get a much better view of the guards. The first thing you notice is that your initial impression may have been wrong--despite remaining firmly behind the wall, the guards don't appear to be trying to keep anything in, but rather trying to keep someone or something out. You are of course familiar enough with the ebb and flow of combat to know that this gives you a powerful advantage, for the enemy that does not see the threat coming is no threat themselves. Given this power you have over this situation, perhaps your best escape route is straight through the main gate: you are strong enough, after all, to fight your way past these guards long enough to escape into the dark night. However, you fear that Ena would likely not be able to follow you.

Still though, something about this situation gives you pause. Why are the guards so numerous, but so inattentive towards whatever it is they're supposed to be on the lookout for? Why would guards protecting a town not stand in places to see a threat coming from the other side of the wall? You haven't fully deduced the situation yet, but there is definitely more going on here than meets the eye, and you know that whatever that threat is, it is the true threat here--not a group of poorly-trained guards with torches and spears.

What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pentaviso

While it's obviously hard to read emotions of any person as obscured by clothing as The Sky Illuminated With Stars, you nevertheless feel as if they are surprised by your question. They pause what they're doing for a moment, and then speak. This time the voice is androgynous and barely audible through the muffling effects of their helmet.

"Time is... time is immaterial here, rake, surely you recognize that fact? Many different worlds flow into this place, and they all function slightly differently, and forty or four hundred years in one may be but an instant in another. As for me? When I awoke to find the sky above me different from the one I knew, it was here, in the place that would become Broken Tooth. It has known many names, as have I. I do not track the motions of the constellations or the passing of the seasons, erratic as they seem, and I do not attempt to render my life's experiences down to a number that signifies how long I have been alive--or dead, I suppose." You hear a small chuckle from inside The Sky Illuminated With Stars's helmet. "I am being obtuse. A few years before Albrecht Donnerfeldt ascended the throne of this place and named it Broken Tooth, that is when I lived here."

The Sky Illuminated With Stars motions once more towards the runed slab. "You are an odd fellow, I must say. Most people would not take such an interest in one such as me, but here you are anyway. Especially if, like you, they had suffered a serious wound not long before. Come, sit here, and let me clean that wound before it festers."

What do you do?

Xie

You feel the wyrd rush around you, and your breathing slows and the adrenaline leaves your heart. You imagine you are not safe here, of course, but for the moment, you are in control. Whatever this spell is that fills this place, whoever weaved it and for whatever purpose, surely it must be connected to the violence and carnage strewn about you.

And then, for a brief moment, you feel as if the bodies are watching you, their eyes opening and following your every motion, tracking you as you explore the space. Then you blink, and they are closed again, and they do not reopen. You remember the words of the figure in blood-red armor you saw but for a moment when you came here. "The thread of fate is severed. Doom comes to Broken Tooth." And then, you feel fear again--not the magical fear you felt before (your wyrd still stands vanguard against that) but a much more natural, human fear. A fear of the unknown, and a fear of what may be to come.

What do you do?

Siroko

Ena lays down as low on the ground as she can as you disappear into the shadows. You find an area not far from the wall, nestled between two small buildings, to make your ambush. It's not an ideal place, for while the guards have been patrolling back and forth here for some time, so you know that you won't have a terribly long time to interrogate one before the others recognize their absence. Still, it seems to be by far your best option.

You pick at a guard and, as they walk past, quickly leap from the shadows, looping your spear around their neck and choking them so they cannot scream for help. You drag the guard back into the shadows. She's a young woman, perhaps in her early-to-mid 20s, wearing boiled leather armor bearing the mark of House Entremar. She looks up at you, her eyes full of fear, clearly expecting a knife in her gut any second.

What do you do?

Drowned Tikorn

You step out into the cold and are immediately buffeted by strong winds and near white-out conditions from the raging snowstorm. You raise your arms to shield your eyes, and manage to find not far from the door what appears to be a hitching post for a horse. Figuring that this will do nicely, you tie the other end of the rope to it, and begin slowly trudging in the direction of the barn and the screams. It's not actually a long walk, but it feels like ages as you walk through the deepening snow and try not to be blown over by the wind.

Nevertheless you make it eventually to the barn door, and pull it open. The barn is not nearly as well-insulated as the cabin was, and you still feel the cold air and wind against you after stepping inside, but for the most part, you are safely out of the storm. Again you hear the screams, and it is clear this time that they are here in this room with you. Curiously, however, you cannot tell where the screams are coming from--as far as you can tell, this is an empty and mostly-abandoned barn, full of empty stalls for horses, grains stored for the winter, and sealed barrels against the wall.

What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Siroko

The woman's eyes are full of panic. She may be a guard of Fort Entremar, but it is clear she is not experienced in the ways of violence. "I-I-I-I-" she stammers, then quickly catches herself. She swallows, and tries again.

"I'm not privy to the full details, you must understand, but Lord Entremar, he is afraid of something out in the night. Some of m-m-m-my colleagues think it is House Telbatin he fears, but I-I-I-I don't think that could be. No army could sneak here under cover over darkness, you understand?
B-b-b-but... I heard my superiors talking. Only in whispers, you understand. Something made of shadows themselves, moving in the darkness. An evil force, or at least, a strange and unknowable one. I heard them say that l-l-l-light could repel it, and they armed us all with t-t-t-torches, but.... oh gods don't kill me please! I'm just doing as I'm told!"

The woman is about to scream, and you slam your hand down over her mouth just before she can, muffling the sound. Closer to the gate, you hear the other guards speaking. Perhaps it is idle chatter, but perhaps they have noticed one of their number go missing.

What do you do?

Xie

Although it takes you several rooms to do so, you do eventually find a room in Albrecht's keep with living people in it. It's a storeroom of sorts, holding salted meats and dried fruits and other foodstuffs intended for serving later. In a corner huddle a few servants, both men and women, who somehow escaped the carnage of this place. It takes several minutes to convince them that you mean them no harm, but eventually they do calm down. One of them, a pale young man who identifies himself only as Tristan, tells you everything he knows.

According to Tristan, House Entremar had sent a surprise envoy to Lord Albrecht earlier this week, requesting aid in some war to come against their rivals in the south, House Telbatin. Negotiations seemed to be going well (although, by Tristan's own admission, he is naïve in the ways of diplomacy), until something changed suddenly and without warning. Tristan describes it as lightning, a sudden flash of violence and anger, with swords drawn and epithets shouted seemingly out of nowhere. A soldier of House Entremar drew his bow and quickly loosed an arrow, aimed directly at Lord Albrecht's head. Tristan watched the arrow flying and felt as though time itself had stopped for a moment. A warrior he could swear he had not seen before, one dressed head-to-toe in blood-red armor, dove and tackled Lord Albrecht out of his throne as the arrow embedded itself where his head would have been just an instant before. And then they were gone, the figure in blood-red armor and Lord Albrecht both, lost in the chaos. Tristan fled then, leaving the sounds of battle behind, and hid in the storeroom, only to be found by you. The other servants corroborate his story as best they can, although most fled the moment the swords were drawn.

What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Siroko

The woman's eyes dart to the side quickly, then snap back down. It's clear she's looking for a way out of this, and not finding one. "There's, oh gods don't tell anyone I told you this, there's a secret way out. Two blocks west of here--" she nods with her head, indicating a direction, "--there's a way out of the city. Smugglers use it, and the captain of the guard pretends not to know about it for kickbacks. At this hour I'd wager my life there won't be anyone there."

Just as she finishes telling you, you hear the familiar sound of boots on cobblestone, close to you and getting closer. Another guard is almost certainly just about on top of you.

What do you do?

Drowned Tikorn

Poker in hand, you pry the lid of the first barrel open. You're not entirely certain what to expect--grains of some kind seem likely, maybe, or perhaps the barrels are empty. When the lid comes off, however, immediately you hear another scream, clearly coming from inside the barrel. What's more, you immediately recognize the identity of the scream: it is Cerlen Orkel's voice coming from the barrel. You look inside, but the barrel appears to be empty to your eyes. Just as you do, the wind of the storm outside picks up again, and in the drafty barn you even feel the blankets around you lift up just a little. As if to make the situation even more stressful, you swear that you hear, just barely, the sound of footsteps in the snow outside, slow and shuffling.

What do you do?

Pentaviso

"You misunderstand me!" laughs The Sky Illuminated With Stars. The voice this time is almost impossibly low, and you can feel it reverberating in your chest like the hoofbeats of horses. "I mean simply that most are not interested in my life's story, and certainly not when they have a gaping wound in their shoulder! Whether my life is interesting or not I suppose is a matter of personal discretion, but regardless, it is less important than a wound that even now begins to fester! I ask you one last time, please sit and allow me to treat you!"

What do you do?

Xie

The servants, visibly scared both by the situation and by your presence, nevertheless do as you ask. You watch as they run back through the halls that led you here, towards the throne room, where the spell still lies in wait. And now you are alone, standing in an abandoned hallway of the ruined tower that serves as the palace of Lord Albrecht, no more knowledgeable about the situation, and no more understanding of the threats that still lie in wait here in Broken Tooth.

And then you get a feeling, faint but unmistakable, of being watched. Not by someone here with you in the hallway, no, but by someone afar. Or something.

We'll pick this up next session.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pentaviso

The Sky Illuminated With Stars nods when you sit on the slab, but says nothing. They walk towards the back of the room, grab a few assorted items (a crystal, the eyes of some unknown animal, an herb you have never seen before, a bell) and return to you. You never truly learn what they do with the items, however, for when The Sky Illuminated With Stars speaks again, they begin to intone a spell. Their voice this time is as if a chorus of thousands is singing, in a language you cannot even begin to comprehend, singing what you can only describe as a funeral dirge. And yet, in some way, it seems hopeful, as if to The Sky Illuminated With Stars, death is not the end. Fitting, you suppose.

You remember nothing else as you slide into inky blackness.

Roll Grasp Outward. We’ll pick this up next session.

Siroko

Ena remains exactly where you left her, low on the ground, out of view of the guards. She seems startled at your return, but perhaps that is no surprise: you are, after all, keeping as low a profile as you possibly can to avoid detection from the guards. With Ena by your side, the two of you sneak your way two blocks west, as the guard had indicated. You are both surprised and delighted to find Ena able to match your quick pace and quiet run, despite the long dress she still wears.

When you arrive, it is immediately obvious to you where the smuggler’s entrance must be that the guard told you about : down a dark, cramped alley, along the town wall, lies a small inn identified on its sign as The Timid Night. Although the Thunders were heroes of great renown, you nevertheless have spent much time in the underbellies of cities before, and you know that this must be the place. A torch is lit outside the tavern, welcoming travelers. The inn itself, however, looks anything but welcoming: the door is barely attached to its hinges, the thatch roof looks even from here to be full of holes, and the ground around the inn is more poo poo than dirt.

What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Siroko

The door to The Timid Night swings open with an awful creaking sound, the hinges rusted from years of neglect. The inn itself, you soon discover, is no better: it reeks of ale and vomit, and several people lie passed out on the ground. A number of tables are surrounded by drunks playing various gambling games, and the innkeeper and servers themselves have their hands full trying to keep the place from falling into even more chaos. A man steps out in front of you and Ena and blocks your path, his hand clasped on the handle of a sword at his waist. You note that he does not appear to be drunk, and you assume that he is a hired guard for the inn, although he makes no effort to identify himself as such.

"Ain't seen yer faces 'round here afore, yeah? Who does you think you is?" His voice is low and grizzled, his facial hair unkempt, his teeth yellowed and stained. Nobody else seems to pay any attention to the man or to the two unknown people who have found their way inside.

What do you do?

Drowned Tikorn

You reach down and scrape the bottom of the barrel with your hand. The moment your skin touches the bottom, a few things happen simultaneously. The storm outside intensifies again, and you begin to worry that the wind will be strong enough to knock down this barn. The screams suddenly migrate out of the barrel to the back of the barn. And you hear the front doors of the barn fly open, and the old woman calls out again with a stronger, louder voice, screaming bloody murder. You pull your head out of barrel and quickly assess the situation. The witch-woman has somehow freed herself from the ropes you tied, and is now in the barn, hovering if you can believe it, wreathed in snow and ice blowing around her like a winter tempest. And in the back of the room, you see your missing crew: all of them accounted for, standing there, but translucent, as if caught between here and some other place.

The witch-woman screams again and flies towards you, hands outstretched.

What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Drowned Tikorn

You bring down the iron poker with a fierce stabbing motion, digging deep into the woman's flesh. The moment the poker strikes her, however, you feel a blast of icy cold rush up the poker and through your arm, forcing you to drop your makeshift weapon as your arm screams in frostbitten pain. Nevertheless the woman recoils in pain, faces you and shouts.

"Very well! You wish to be released, then be released! But this curse I lay upon you: a day will come when your men rise against you. On that day, you will be faced with a choice, and if you choose wrong, you shall be forced to languish in this hell for all eternity. And you will know that I, the White Woman Thrumvejr, have had my revenge!"

Her threat complete, you watch as the woman's skin transforms to ice, and then your ears are pierced by the sound of her whole form shattering into millions of tiny ice shards. The moment that the ice shatters, two things happen simultaneously: you hear the storm outside abate, and you hear the sound of bodies hitting the ground behind you. Turning around, you see your crew here, in physical form, on the floor of the barn. They are barely breathing and unresponsive, but they are alive. Whether Thrumvejr lives or not, you do not know, but for now, you are safe.

You take 1-harm armor piercing from the frostbite that climbed up your arm after stabbing the woman.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Siroko

The man smiles, if you can call that facial contortion a "smile". His breath reeks of bad tobacco and rotting teeth. You watch as his hand slowly makes its way down to rest on the hilt of a long knife he carries on his hip, but he makes no motion to draw the weapon.

"Iunno how you's learned-a this place, but I ain't seen yer faces afore. You know the cost, yeah? Fleein' the lord with a whore on yer arm brings more trouble down on us, I don' care if'n you love 'er. You's gotta pay the price if'n we're to let ya pass. Blood or gold, yer choice, but make it quick."

He draws the knife from his waist and shows it to you. It's a surprisingly nice blade for a man so rough, primarily iron but inlaid with veins of silver, runes of some sort carved along the hilt, and the edge sharpened to a razor's thinness. He places the knife in one hand and displays it to you, palm open and upright, seemingly offering for you to take it. He extends his other hand, again palm open and upright, but empty this time.

What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Siroko

You are surprised at how much gold the man asks before he lets you pass--every coin the Lord Entremar left you, which was not an insignificant amount. With the last coin placed firmly in his palm, he turns around and motions for you to follow. Down a quiet hallway he comes upon a small trapdoor in the floor, which he opens up for you. "The path is 'ere, girls. Stay safe afield, and tell no one of this place."

You can feel a cool rush of outside air come up through the trapdoor, and dropping down, you see the low tunnel that leads out of the city. Ena leads the way, but you follow close behind, and soon you find yourselves standing outside of the walls, just as the sun begins to crest over the horizon.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The Lady of Greycrag posted:

Perhaps the greatest mystery of all is who inhabited this land before we arrived. Has this land always been a purgatory of sorts, or did it become one somehow? Who built all these ruins we now inhabit, and why? Do these questions even have answers that we can comprehend, or are we doomed to languish in this world never understanding, never knowing, only continuing to eke out what miserable existence this is in fear of a worse place after it?

Session Two

Remember to pay your keep. If you have a move that triggers at the start of a session, it triggers now.

Drowned Tikorn

Several weeks have passed since the incident at the witch's hut. At the insistence of your crew, you have abandoned your quest for the city in the east for now, instead returning to the coastline to the west, to the settlement of Greycrag. When your band arrives, weary from the travels and on the verge of breaking, you find the worst possible news: the city is on lockdown, with guard patrols tripled at all hours and the gates not opening even for the most trusted of envoys. Outside the city, a number of travelers have erected a small temporary tent settlement to wait out the turmoil, although nobody knows how long that will be--or even why the city is locked down in the first place. There are rumors of course: an attempt on the Lady's life, rumblings of war to the south, or the mysterious disappearance of the lord of Broken Tooth, to name a few, but nothing solid.

As the realization sets in that it may be some time before your band is allowed to enter Greycrag, you begin hearing rumblings from your crew. While some are willing to wait here among the tents, others wish to make for the town of Broken Tooth to the south, still others want to try to either force or sneak their way in, and a few are too sickly from the trials you have faced to want anything more than a healer's bed. In addition, your wounds from the ill-fated journey to Rockreach still burn, and you fear that without treatment you may never properly heal from them. As the leader of the group, and as their savior from the witch-woman, the decision falls on you.

What do you do?

Mistral

For the past ten days, no one has entered or exited the town of Greycrag. Although the Lady trusts you very deeply, she has not made known why she closed the borders to you or to anyone else. In the meantime, there is work to be done.

Without contact with the outside world, the town has fallen into turmoil. Every night there are riots against the leadership of the lady, swiftly quelled by the still-loyal guards who serve her, and every morning there are new wounded from all sides of the unrest at your doorstep. If your goal was merely profit this would be the best possible scenario for you; your sacred healing space is overflowing with patients. Even the still-room, which you usually reserve for those most sanctified of healing rituals, now serves as a space for two more beds. You've even been forced to bring on some temporary help in the meantime, as several townsfolk have offered their assistance to your operation in this trying time.

It is while you are overseeing one these new helpers (what was their name?) that you hear a sharp rap at the door. You assume at first that it is another patient, but instead a perfectly healthy man walks in. His face is dirty and tired, his beard scraggly, his body lithe and hungry. He bows formally to you after getting your attention.

"My lady Mistral," he says, his voice baritone and weary. "My name is Edward of the Amber Fields. I represent, well... I represent the interests of the people of this town."

"I know and have known for some time that you and the Lady of Greycrag trust each other deeply, but look around you. Every day the suffering grows worse, and every night the violence increases threefold again. Our city cannot stand this lockdown much longer."

"I know that you and I would likely not see eye-to-eye on many issues, but I ask that you set aside the evening and come talk with my companions and me. At sundown, meet us at The Weeping Horse--you know the place, I'm sure, near the merchant's quarter. For the good of Greycrag and all the people who dwell within, we need your help, Mistral."

The man smiles, but does not wait for a response. Before you can say anything, he has turned and left the building, leaving you with your patients again, and several hours to think about what he said.

What do you do?

Pentaviso

For a time, existence itself seemed to cease as you slipped into the darkness of The Sky Illuminated With Stars's magic. You saw only flashes of images, scenes poorly-remembered from your past life and imagery that you cannot wrap your mind around. The kiss of a lover on a warm morning. Your magic, flowing around your arm. The swing of an executioner's axe. A single eye, bloodshot and watching. A corpse infested with maggots. Fine wine and finer company. Bile and poo poo. Your own head, separated from your shoulders. A tower crumbling. A raven crowing. Fire and smoke.

When you came to, The Sky Illuminated With Stars took some time to examine your body and your wounds, and was pleased to see that their work had been successful. You are mended now, as if your wounds had never even existed in the first place.

In the time since, you have found a place to stay here in Broken Tooth (where?) while you get your head right and decide on what to do next. Broken Tooth itself has fallen into chaos in that time, spurred on by the disappearance of Lord Albrecht and the massacre in the great hall. The situation has not yet boiled over into outright violence, but different organizations and individuals have sought to fill the power vacuum left behind, and most people assume it is only a matter of time before the city fractures entirely.

One evening, as you seek a drink to ease your mind, you happen to run into Katarin of Bolevar, the merchant who brought you here in the first place. She seems pleased to see you, and more pleased that you have recovered so well. Nevertheless, she seems on edge, and over glasses of ale, she explains why.

The merchants of this land are scared. Turmoil and chaos have come to both Broken Tooth and Greycrag here in the west, and war has broken out to the east. The houses of Entremar and Telbatin meet in open conflict, and the death toll rises daily. Trade has effectively stopped, and among the merchants there is chatter of forming a guild of some sort, or perhaps a militia. Something to ensure their well-being, at the very least.

"The woman who seems most likely to lead this group calls herself Alana Golden," Katarin slurs over yet another drink. "She's bad news, Pentaviso. She doesn't want security for the merchants, she wants blood and power. Blood, mainly. I need your help. I need to stop her, whatever that means. I have a plan to... eliminate her. Will you help me?"

She's too drunk to explain more details, and based on her body language she seems more interested in taking you home with her than explaining what her plans are.

What do you do?

You owe 2-keep to The Sky Illuminated With Stars, either pay it now or owe them a debt to be paid later.

Siroko

The journey west takes several weeks, especially as Ena is not particularly adapted for long overland journies by foot. "I woke up within the walls of Fort Entremar some years ago, and I never left that city," she explains one night as you settle down to rest. Still, you do eventually make it safely to the town of Broken Tooth, which you are dismayed to find teeters on a knife's edge. It's hard to piece together a coherent narrative from the townfolk about what happened: the lord Albrecht Donnerfeldt disappeared without a trace at the same moment as a bloody massacre involving townsfolk, guards, and envoys from House Entremar in the great hall. Some people speak of a warrior sorceress there as well, or an ethereal man in red armor, and the stories about their roles in the conflict and what followed it are conflicting and inconclusive. Regardless of the truth of the matter, this city now stands poised to collapse in on itself if no strong leader emerges.

Ena seems paritcularly on edge here, no doubt in part because she has by her own admission not left her last home for the years since she died. She confides in you not long after arriving that she is scared that you will leave her here, and continue on whatever path life's winds takes you on, leaving her to rebuild her life here as a fugitive in a strange city. You are on edge as well, but for an entirely different reason. After so many years in your past life fighting alongside the other Thunders, you have come to recognize the ways they impact the threads of fate, and you can feel in your essence the handiwork of one of them, somehow influencing the situation here in Broken Tooth. You cannot be certain who or how, but you are certain nonetheless that if you dig deep enough, you will find another of your marks.

In the meantime though, there are other things to deal with. You need to find a safe place for yourself and for Ena, and you need to be sure that House Entremar does not find her when they no doubt arrive seeking answers about the massacre. For now, however, your path is your own to choose, and your priorities your own to set.

What do you do?

Xie

Although you had initially planned on helping get Broken Tooth back on its feet after the disappearance of its lord, the past few weeks have seen you abandon that plan. The first inkling that you would need to change plans came just the morning after the incident in the great hall, when you heard a repeated rumor throughout the city that a particularly high-ranking member of the Entremar envoy, known as Teme Soon-To-Be, had escaped the massacre and fled back home towards the lands of her house pledging revenge against the presumed assailants who lived here. Not long after, word began to spread that house Entremar was seeking a temporary armistice with their enemies at house Telbatin and the bulk of the army would be redirected here in retribution for what transpired. With no one else willing to investigate the truth of the matter, you volunteered to go and left that very night. You had a selfish goal too, of course: perhaps someone involved with this whole mess would know what to make of the symbols of eyes that keep following you, or the mysterious map that Katarin gave you. After all, no one in Broken Tooth seemed to know, but the answers have to be out there somewhere.

It is late one night as you make your way across the scrublands towards the east that you first encounter a sign of trouble. Your first indication is a smell of smoke and the faintest sound of human voices and screams on the other side of a hill. Climbing to the top, you find yourself staring down at a small village nestled along the muddy banks of a small river. As you watch, you can see assailants from some unknown force laying waste to the place, setting fire to the thatch-roofed huts and capturing or executing any villagers they find. It's hard to tell where precisely you are--you are no navigator, and while you can read the stars you can never quite exactly pinpoint your location--but you suspect that these lands are a neutral land, unclaimed by any great lord or lady. The people burning the village bear no standards, and you do not recognize the war cries echoing up towards you.

You recognize that you are faced with a choice: either enter the village and attempt to save whatever villagers may be left, very much endangering yourself against a force far larger than you alone, or skirt the village, letting the violence carry out as it may, and continue your quest towards Entremar.

What do you do?

quiggy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 16, 2018

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Tikorn

You work your way high and low through the makeshift town, gathering information, and trying to find something, anything that might help you enter the city. You learn a few scraps and pieces about what's going on: you hear stories of unrest in the city at night, you hear that the lockdown has only been for a week or so, you hear an agitation in the voices of the people here that you suspect could boil over into violence at any moment. Eventually you come across a man speaking to a small crowd gathered around him. He is loud enough to be heard by the crowd and to gather more around him, but quiet enough that without joining the crowd itself, you can't make out what he's saying. Asking someone nearby, you hear his name: Hlaford Axton. He has the cadence and affectation of a priest, but he is not giving a sermon.

Axton claims that he has found a way into the city that a small group could take under cover of darkness to open the gates to the rest and end the blockade. He is looking for a few good men--or women, he quickly adds--to follow him tonight. Preferably people who have fought alongside each other for a long time, not merely random members of the tent city fed up with their treatment. In making this request, however, he accidentally reveals the knowledge of the entrance, and you realize that if you wanted, you need not follow him at all. Still others argue that it is not right to force their way in, and yet more believe that soon the violence in the city will no longer be contained.

What do you do?

Mistral

You make your way to The Weeping Horse as Edward directed. On arriving, a man standing guard recognizes you, nods, and opens the door wordlessly. Already a good thirty or so people have gathered, and are listening to Edward speak. He sees the door open, and nods at you as you enter, but continues talking to the crowd.

"I tell you the truth! Not two fortnights ago Lord Albrecht of Broken Tooth was vanished by some ill magics. They say a man in red armor slew a room full of his men and men of House Entremar, and they say only a woman clothed in living silks drove him off. And then, just ten days ago, the man in red armor was seen here! The Lady fears this man, as well she should, but she takes these drastic measures without the consent of her people or the wellbeing of anyone but herself!"

Edward steps down and motions towards you, Mistral. "Lady Mistral, you are a trusted member of this community, both by the common people and by the Lady of Greycrag herself. I beseech you, meet with the Lady and give her our list of demands--to open the gates, or to give us a good explanation for the lockdown and commit men to helping us survive it--and report back. I know you and she are close, but we must save Greycrag. Her people come before her ruler."

What do you do?

Siroko

After a few days afield, you find your way to the place where Alana Golden's merchants have gathered. It is hardly the place you might have suspected, but a small village commandeered by the merchants either by gold or by iron. Golden's hall, such as it is, is no more than a repurposed tavern, thatch roof and all.

A few merchants eye you suspiciously as you walk through the town, an unknown entity with a spear at your back, but none say anything. Eventually you come to the entrance to the tavern, guarded by a single woman with a fine steel sword.

"I do not know your face. Speak quickly, outsider. Golden listens where gold speaks."

What do you do?

I've added Alana Golden to the map in the first post.

Pentaviso

Morning comes all too soon, and your head pounds with yet another hangover. You swear that not only are hangovers worse here than they were in your last life, but they get worse with each subsequent hangover you have. Beside you, Katarin has already woken up and fetched a pitcher of water. She pours you a glass and hands it to you. "Drink up, Pentaviso. I'd imagine you're thirsty."

She brushes your hair aside and plants a single kiss on your forehead, then climbs out of bed and walks towards a table set up next to the door. There's a few papers and what appears from the bed to be a map set up there that she begins rifling through. "When you have a moment, I'd love to talk to you about what we discussed last night. Alana Golden-"

Her words are sharply cut off by the sound of an explosion outside. Quickly you pull yourself out of bed and look down to see a horde of men wielding anything from well-crafted swords and axes to cheap iron pitchforks meeting the guards of Broken Tooth in fighting in the street. Across the way, the tavern where you and Katarin shared a drink last night is now a smoldering crater, likely the site of the explosion you just heard. Downstairs, you hear commotion as some of the men force their way in and begin to ransack the common room of the inn. Katarin screams and begins fumbling for her sword, but she can't find it amidst her panic.

What do you do?

Don't forget that your special move triggered with Katarin, so choose one of your options.

Xie

Keeping to the shadows, you manage to work your way through the town, searching for any sign of who might be in charge here. Eventually, you find someone who could only be the leader: a woman in fine leather armor, flanked on either side by similarly well-dressed men, not partaking directly in the carnage. With them, you see something far worse than any man with a sword: two war dogs, ravenous and angry, barely restrained from their own desire for bloodlust. You are Xie, Who Walks Again, no sword or spear frightens you, but a dog with razor-sharp teeth, a killer instinct, and reflexes far beyond those of any human? That's something to truly watch out for.

Of course, it is at the same moment that you see a dog that it sees you, and it begins barking and growling in your direction. Its handler draws a sword and looks in your direction, and you're not quite fast enough to duck back into cover before she sees you as well. With a quick moment she unleashes the hound, who rushes towards you, teeth bared, violence its only instinct.

What do you do?

I'm intentionally ignoring your Act Under Fire because I want to know how you react. That being said, if you do something that falls under the trigger for that move, feel free to use that 13.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Siroko

The guard woman snarls and bares her teeth, gripping her sword just a little tighter in her hands. "Golden listens where gold speaks. If your steel wishes to speak instead, then let it speak." She takes a single step towards you and raises the sword in a defensive posture.

What do you do?

Mistral

Edward nods. "Aye, I can promise you peace for this one night. I will not deny my followers the right of self-defense, but if the Lady's loyalists make no moves against us, we will make no moves against them. But you must understand, this can be for only a single night, Gray Sister Mistral. When night falls tomorrow, this deal is over. Speak with the Lady and resolve this, if you can. For tonight, however, you have peace, by the Amber Fields."

The room slowly shifts into a more standard tavern scene. Edward's followers resign themselves to drinking and playing games of chance, and Edward himself slinks back into a corner with an ale in his hand, lost in thought. The cool night air beckons you outside, and, if you wish, towards the Lady's keep.

What do you do?

Edward intends to keep his word for tonight. If tomorrow night comes with no resolution, however, he intends to depose the Lady--by any means necessary.

Pentaviso

Katarin is still visibly shaken and afraid, but she manages to follow your directions and pull her sword from the chair. While she does that you continue to listen, and you hear the chaos increasing, both inside and outside. You hear footsteps in the hallway just outside as well, the assailants now on the same floor as your room. Looking back, you see the only way you can imagine getting out of here bloodlessly: through the window. The footsteps are right outside your door now.

What do you do?

Xie

Your wyrd reaches out and calms the hound, which skitters to a stop in front of you. Although it is hardly a power of mind-control, it nonetheless can be useful in a pinch to help calm beasts before they have a chance for violence. The humans, of course, are not so easily swayed. The hound's handler is armed only with a short sword, but he draws it nonetheless, and the second handler looses their own dog towards you, evidently not fearful of the powers of your wyrd. The central figure, the woman in the fine leather armor, produces a cruel-looking long sword from a scabbard on her back, screams a war cry, and charges you with the hound by their side. In the distance, you hear the sounds of more attackers, running to defend these three from you.

What do you do?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mistral

You leave The Weeping Horse and make your way towards the Lady's keep. The night is dark and cold, and the streets are completely empty save for a few guards sitting around fires for warmth. Nobody, it seems, wants to risk breaking this peace.

At the front entrance to the Lady's keep you find two guards, a man and a woman, crossing polearms and blocking your way. You recognize them, of course, having spent more than enough time here before now. The man is Ser Marle, a highly-trusted member of the guard corps despite his young age, and the woman is Dame Hekla, the Lady's oldest and most beloved guard. Neither moves to clear the way, but both smile and nod at you as you approach.

"Sister Mistral!" calls Dame Hekla, "It is good to see you this cold night! Although, your presence is neither expected nor requested. I regret to inform you that the Lady has made known that she does not wish to receive visitors on this night, and so I kindly ask that you return home and see her in morning's light!"

What do you do?

Tikorn

Back with your men, you discuss Hlaford Axton's words and his knowledge of a supposed secret entrance. Whether or not he tells the truth you cannot be wholly sure, but, at the very least, he believes it to be the truth. This is no trap but a legitimate plan for a man desperate to break the blockade.

Night falls over the camp, and unlike every other night, you hear nothing from within the walls. Some of your crew grow restless, and eventually Cerlen comes to you. "The men say that, with the silence on the other side, if we are to trust Axton's words, we should move tonight. I can't imagine a large group is a good idea, so maybe pick just one or two to come with you. That is, assuming you think this is a good idea at all."

What do you do?

Xie

Despite the cold steel of your blade against the woman's throat, she laughs. "Who are you, and why did you get involved? You meddle in a war, yet you don't even know the belligerents? What a fool you are, girl!"

You feel the woman slowly slide a blade of her own out from a hidden place on her hip, and you see the hound you so deftly dodged turn and charge back towards you. Your blade is still at the woman's throat, and she is vulnerable to you in this instant.

What do you do?

Siroko

The woman swings her sword, and despite dodging out of the way, you feel it clink off your armor. Although you are unharmed for now, the woman is clearly well-trained in the art of swordplay and is not some simple sell-sword. Whipping the spear around, you make contact with her legs and knock her to the ground. She does not appear severely hurt, but nevertheless cannot gather herself enough to stand back up by the time you recover from your own attack. Behind you, you hear the sound of a second sword being unsheathed, and at the same moment, the door to the tavern opens and a woman clad in expensive silks lined with gold trim steps out.

"I order you to halt!" she shouts at the top of her lungs. "And explain what the meaning of this is!"

What do you do?

You are in deadly range of the guard's sword, but the weapon only glanced because of your Single Combat roll and the armor negated the rest of the damage. You take no harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mistral

Dame Hekla stands in thought for a moment, then nods to Ser Marle. "Very well. Ser Marle shall escort you to the Lady. I trust that you will not betray the faith I place in you tonight." Ser Marle begins walking into the great hall, and motions for you to follow.

It has been some time since you have been in the more private areas of the Lady of Greycrag's keep, but the walls still feel familiar to you as he leads you down the cramped and crumbling passageways. Eventually he brings you to an open door, which you recognize as the Lady's bedchambers. He steps in, and then a moment later motions for you to follow. Inside, the Lady sits legs-crossed on a leather-padded chair in the corner, her evening gown tied around her legs above the dusty floor, and her ever-present blindfold still wrapped firmly across her eyes. She takes the opportunity to speak before you have a chance to say anything.

"Sister Mistral, yes? It has been some time since you have graced me with your presence. Tell me, friend, why do you seek me at this late hour, when I have been quite clear that I do not wish to have visitors?" Ser Marle slinks back a step, clearly embarrassed to have broken the Lady's orders, but he says nothing.

What do you do?

Tikorn

Under cover of dark, the three of you make your way to the spot Hlaford Axton indicated. It's a small crumbling piece of wall around on the western side of the city, made up of large sandstone blocks that have collapse in on themselves in an imposing pile of rubble. Climbing over the pile looks just about impossible, but you can see what Axton was referring to: a small tunnel, barely wide enough for even a single person to crawl through, leading to an unclaimed part of the old ruins that have become Greycrag. Yzain goes through the tunnel first to verify the passageway is navigable, and then from the other side, calls to you and Cerlen that, while difficult, you should be able to squeeze through to the other side.

Once inside, the three of you sneak your way towards the town proper. Getting there, you find what perhaps you least expected: nothing. Only two or three guards patrol the streets, but no one else seems interested in being out this night. Although it is late, you would expect some sort of activity, especially in light of the unrest you have heard every other night. Perhaps the violence has ended (although why then does the blockade remain?) or perhaps they've simply reached some sort of ceasefire for the moment. Across the road, you see a tavern lit from within and full of patrons, and down a ways, you can see the great hall of the Lady of Greycrag, although you cannot tell from here how well-guarded it is. In the other direction, you can see the gatehouse that enforces the blockade. Cerlen looks to you expectantly. The choice of where to go first now that you're inside the city falls to you.

What do you do?

Siroko

The woman you fought stands up from the ground, and brushes dust off herself. "My lady, I-"

She is cut off by the woman in fine silks. "I don't wish to hear it! And I am not your lady, no matter how many times you say it!" She takes a deep breath and a moment to regain her composure, then turns to you. "Siroko Six-Thunders, you say? I am the one whom you seek, Alana Golden." She takes two steps towards you, hands open, evidently not afraid of your spear. Behind you, you hear the second guard step towards you as well. "Now then, Siroko Six-Thunders, what is the real reason you come here? I suspect you are not merely a sell-sword looking to make some coin, or am I wrong in my assessment? Why have you come here, and why did you try to poke holes in my fool of a guard Elin here?"

What do you do?

Pentaviso

Katarin still looks terrified, but nonetheless she does what you say. After quickly testing the stability of the makeshift rope, she grabs hold and slides down it to the ground below. Still in the room, you hear a light cracking sound from the window's crossbar, the bar evidently not quite strong enough to support her weight. You stick your head out the window, as she calls for you to hurry. At almost the exact some moment, the door behind you splinters, and a large bearded man with a cruel iron axe charges into the room, laughing wildly.

What do you do?

Xie

You've met warriors like this before. Too full of themselves to know when they've been beaten, too hotheaded to surrender. As the dog charges towards you, you feel the woman reach towards her leg for a knife. Bad move. With a quick motion of your arm you slit her throat, her warm blood spilling onto your hands and the ground. The dog does not stop, but instead leaps at the last moment towards you, teeth bared. You hold the woman's lifeless body out as a shield, protecting you from the worst of the bite, but it is not a small dog, and you are knocked backwards and to the ground by its attack. As you fall you think you see more soldiers arriving, weapons drawn, but you cannot be sure in the heat of the moment. You are on the ground now, pinned beneath the bloody body of the woman you killed, the ravenous hound now circling back around for the kill.

What do you do?

• Locked thread