Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My interest was piqued so I downloaded the hack and tried something you wouldn't normally try. If Mega says it's ok I'll share it.

It's alluded to in the readme file but I didn't read that until after I did it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
So, when I ran the game I didn't read the readme file past the instructions on what the original ROM's checksum was, because lol who reads anything.

Anyway, there's a speedrunning exploit you can do when you get to Mist village. Basically, if you stand next to Mist and take a step away from the village and immediately open the menu when you've only moved like a pixel, and then use a tent, the game will offset the character sprite slightly and you'll be able to move onto the first tile of the village without entering it.

Then, if you save and quit, when you reload, you can step onto the second tile of the village and then off it, so you can enter Mist from the other side, bypassing the trigger for the Package event, so you can run around and loot and buy some late-game items.

So I tried that, and well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA6AbWa5llY

Afterwards, I checked the readme:

* Speed-run trap: There is a technique speedrunners use to skip the plot scene in Mist in the beginning and get access to the Mist shops way earlier than intended. You don't want to do this. Trust me. You've been warned.

It also happens if you bypass Mist completely and go to the Oasis.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Let’s be honest though, the original game’s script was not gonna win a pulitzer either.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

For some reason the hack keeps saying we're going into the Tower of Babil but once you enter it's very clearly the Tower of Zot. I mean you even fight the freaking Magus Sisters. I don't know.

Update probably tomorrow.

Aren't they both the same loving tower anyway? It just comes all the way up from the underground.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Seems like it might just be optional content and you can just go to the moon as dark knight Cecil?

I didn’t get that far but it seems like the only option left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I would replay the FF4 DS port if i could get a save on the third(!!!) run with all the augments available.

• Locked thread