Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I love alternate win conditions.
(:goatsecx:)
(:silent:)
(:science:)
(:goon:)
(:black101:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

Cards like that were my bane. I always wanted to win around them, but... well, just look at them. You'd spend money building decks around them, and you'd lose halfway through the set-up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

When that stupid The Game meme was going around a friend of mine put a Platinum Angel in his wallet so that if someone tried to go "YOU LOST THE GAME LOL" he just said no and showed it to them.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Ariong posted:

While I generally find Ad Nauseam combo very unfun to play, I feel blessed to have won games of Modern where my life total was negative and attempted to draw a card from an empty library while this was in play:

Relatedly, one of my favorite card arts from 2008-ish onwards is the art for Phyrexian Unlife:

Virtually every card in Ad Nauseam combo is gorgeous and the flavor is good, too, so it's a tragedy the deck is so miserable to actually play.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
If we're talking alternate win cons,

More cards = more better!

Chase Derringer
Jun 19, 2011

Hello! Ma baby
Hello! Ma honey
Hello! Ma *SKREEEEEEEEEEE*
Lipstick Apathy

It's meme bullshit, but it's just about the only thing I wanted from Unstable.

One of my favorite pieces of mtg art. Someone gave me a foil of this as a gift and it has a page all to itself in my rare binder.

The engine of the only standard deck I ever played successfully. Turn two: Emissary into Emissary into Emissary into Emissary into Mayor of Avabruck. Get bent.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Text is hard to read, it says:

quote:

Pursuant to subsection 3.1(4) of Richard's Rules of Order, during the upkeep of each participant in this game of the Magic: The Gathering trading card game (hereafter known as "PLAYER"), that PLAYER performs all actions in the sequence of previously added actions (hereafter known as "ACTION QUEUE"), in the order those actions were added, then adds another action to the end of the ACTION QUEUE. All actions must be simple physical or verbal actions that a player can perform while sitting in a chair, without jeopardizing the health and security of said PLAYER.

If any PLAYER does not perform all the prescribed actions in the correct order, sacrifice Bureaucracy and said PLAYER discards his or her complement of cards in hand (hereafter known as "HAND").
It's just the normal rules of play. The card doesn't do anything.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Behold pure evil:

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

RagnarokAngel posted:

Text is hard to read, it says:

It's just the normal rules of play. The card doesn't do anything.

Doesn't it reverse the stack? "Perform actions in the order those actions were added" sounds like the opposite of "Last in, first out".

Chase Derringer
Jun 19, 2011

Hello! Ma baby
Hello! Ma honey
Hello! Ma *SKREEEEEEEEEEE*
Lipstick Apathy

Maha posted:

Doesn't it reverse the stack? "Perform actions in the order those actions were added" sounds like the opposite of "Last in, first out".

At the beginning of each upkeep, do an action, like snapping your finger or something else you can do while seated. You must repeat each action done in sequence (e.g. turn one, I clap my hands, turn two, you clap your hands and make finger guns, turn three I clap my hands, make finger guns, and stomp my feet). The first person to mess up the sequence discards their hand.

Chase Derringer has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Mar 31, 2018

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I bought a pack of cards today

Over twenty years old, fresh out of the package

Let's see what comes up!

Okay, the card where for the longest time I was like "why are you summoning a tiny boat" and then one day WHOA there's a fish.

Islandwalk. That's a good idea, yeah. [/sarcasm]

Urza lands. These were generally never worth it because you'd never draw one of the three kinds.

Boomerang was okay, but it always seemed like it didn't really matter, because it's not like it was difficult for my opponent to cast what they had, and they basically never played stuff that hurt them when it was cast, so it just delayed the inevitable.

Nowadays, this card would cost 2 at most to cast.

You could sideboard stuff like this, or you could just put in more good cards. Did anyone ever seriously use stuff like this or red/blue elemental blasts?

For the longest time, it seemed like goblins were the only creature type that could really carry a theme deck on their own---even though stuff like thrulls and thallids and homarids really tried. for certain values of tried

More Urza land.

a legend! a gold legend! teenage me would have thought this was the poo poo and would immediately try to build a deck around it, even though it's a terrible idea.

The times I ran green and tried to play this, by the time I had a creature costing four on the table, it would be a Cockatrice that I'd then toss Aspect of Wolf on right before attacking, so it'd at least be 4/6, flying, kills what it touches. Why bother with the Wombat?

possibly the boringest card ever - you don't even get to do the +7/+7 thing and whack whatever you were blocking, this just makes your guys slightly more durable. briefly.

annnnnnnnnnnd this pile of crap

well, this was a mistake.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
When I was pretty small, I collected Pokemon cards, as you do. This was before I played any of the mainline games or saw much of the animation, so the Gym Heroes and Gym Challenge sets were fascinating, because it gave me these vague imprecise notions of who the characters involved were and what they did just based on the art. Some of them also had some pretty silly gimmicks.

Rock-paper-scissors, go!

Using the flavor text as a mechanic. This can also be considered a really obnoxious time-wasting version of the Bill trainer card, which just lets you draw two more cards.

Put down a random card from your hand and pretend it's a Pokemon. I have no idea what this would even be used for, though it's been at least a decade since I played the TCG.

I just think the art on this one is funny.

If you're playing against these and they start to annoy you you can always deploy the CHAOS GYM, which may, or may not, switch all their effects to apply to the opposite player.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
For ease of my phone posting, comments are in bold in the quote:

hexwren posted:

I bought a pack of cards today
Oh, that's always exciting! :allears:

Over twenty years old, fresh out of the package
O- oh. Nevermind :(

Let's see what comes up!

Okay, the card where for the longest time I was like "why are you summoning a tiny boat" and then one day WHOA there's a fish.

Islandwalk. That's a good idea, yeah. [/sarcasm]

Urza lands. These were generally never worth it because you'd never draw one of the three kinds.
Actually, these have seen tournament play pretty much constantly since being reprinted about ten or fifteen years ago. It helps to have ways to get the missing ones and to have good colorless things to cast (neither of which existed when Chronicles was printed).

Boomerang was okay, but it always seemed like it didn't really matter, because it's not like it was difficult for my opponent to cast what they had, and they basically never played stuff that hurt them when it was cast, so it just delayed the inevitable.
Well, it's not a great card really, but it has its uses. Bouncing a creature with an aura to kill the aura, for example, or bouncing one of two creatures that your opponent double blocked. Or bouncing your own guy to save it from a kill spell.

Nowadays, this card would cost 2 at most to cast.
Not too much later, they did just that - look up Fog Bank.

You could sideboard stuff like this, or you could just put in more good cards. Did anyone ever seriously use stuff like this or red/blue elemental blasts?
If you're expecting to see blue decks at a tournament, Red Elemental Blast is a great sideboard card. One mana to blow up something straight up, or to counter a spell, is hella good. This card is less good, but still. If you're just playing casually, though, you probably don't sideboard so that makes color-hosers like this pretty bad.

For the longest time, it seemed like goblins were the only creature type that could really carry a theme deck on their own---even though stuff like thrulls and thallids and homarids really tried. for certain values of tried
They got better at designing tribal stuff eventually. Several mainstream tournament decks have a tribal theme, such as Elves, Merfolk, and yes, Goblins.

More Urza land.

a legend! a gold legend! teenage me would have thought this was the poo poo and would immediately try to build a deck around it, even though it's a terrible idea.
I opened Chronicles as a kid and had this guy. I thought he was so cool (he's not).

The times I ran green and tried to play this, by the time I had a creature costing four on the table, it would be a Cockatrice that I'd then toss Aspect of Wolf on right before attacking, so it'd at least be 4/6, flying, kills what it touches. Why bother with the Wombat?

possibly the boringest card ever - you don't even get to do the +7/+7 thing and whack whatever you were blocking, this just makes your guys slightly more durable. briefly.

annnnnnnnnnnd this pile of crap

well, this was a mistake.
Friends don't let friends buy Chronicles.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

This card is very silly and I like it a lot. Flipping decks means you always know what's next and what your opponent has - if you can keep track.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

DontMockMySmock posted:

I thought he was so cool (he's not).

I know it was incredibly early in the game's life cycle and that the devs were mostly just making cards out of their D&D characters, but I feel like this sentence sums up 90% of the legends in Legends. Hot drat, so many kid-bait bad cards.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

For ease of my phone posting, comments are in bold in the quote:

Was Chronicles the set that Wizards finally got their heads around the notion that game was super popular, so they rushed out a set to meet demand, only for people to quickly realize it was a lovely set? Or was that Arabian Nights?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Was Chronicles the set that Wizards finally got their heads around the notion that game was super popular, so they rushed out a set to meet demand, only for people to quickly realize it was a lovely set? Or was that Arabian Nights?

Chronicles was a reprint set, reprinting like 115 cards nobody wanted and like five people did, from across the first four expansions.

Arabian Nights was the first expansion. It was decent.

I don't know what set you're thinking of, but the first expansion to be out-and-out terrible was probably Fallen Empires, which was like the fifth expansion.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

I started typing something out and caught myself because I didn't want to sink this thread into a multi-page derail. Just Google "Magic Reserve List" and remember that anything you could say about it here has already been said over and over every five pages or so of the Magic megathread.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

LifeLynx posted:

I started typing something out and caught myself because I didn't want to sink this thread into a multi-page derail. Just Google "Magic Reserve List" and remember that anything you could say about it here has already been said over and over every five pages or so of the Magic megathread.

:confused: What does the Reserved List have to do with my recollection of a set that was before my time playing?

But you were right, hexwren, you guessed right, it was Fallen Empires I was thinking about.

edit for content: not my favorite card, but I always wanted to try and break this bastard, somehow. Turns out, no you can't, really, but whatever:

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 07:13 on Jan 28, 2018

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I don't remember the cards name and I'm phone posting right now, but for some reason I still remember the flavor text of one MTG card.
It was probably an elf or something and it said 'Construction is the work of a lifetime, destruction the work of an afternoon'. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

shut up blegum posted:

I don't remember the cards name and I'm phone posting right now, but for some reason I still remember the flavor text of one MTG card.
It was probably an elf or something and it said 'Construction is the work of a lifetime, destruction the work of an afternoon'. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

handily, the MtG database lets you search flavor text.

and speaking of flavor text my favorite is -

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Does this thread extend to virtual only TCGs too?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Huzzah! posted:

handily, the MtG database lets you search flavor text.

and speaking of flavor text my favorite is -

Ah cool, seems like I misremembered it but that was the card I was talking about. Thanks!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Michaellaneous posted:

it better

show us that crazy poo poo

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hey I misread the loving title of the thread so nevermind this poo poo.
:suicide:

Michaellaneous has a new favorite as of 12:47 on Jan 28, 2018

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Michaellaneous posted:

Yeah sure

DoctorWhat posted:

This card is very silly and I like it a lot. Flipping decks means you always know what's next and what your opponent has - if you can keep track.

Oh my God this is amazing and I'm going to buy one today. I love ridiculous cards like this

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Man this thread is bringing back the memories.

I used to have a full 4 set of these guys in an old deck of mine.

Plus a full set of these.

In retrospect, between this and my discard deck I tended to make decks less with the purpose of winning and more for the purpose of pissing off everybody I played with.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Garrand posted:

Man this thread is bringing back the memories.

I used to have a full 4 set of these guys in an old deck of mine.

Plus a full set of these.

In retrospect, between this and my discard deck I tended to make decks less with the purpose of winning and more for the purpose of pissing off everybody I played with.

There's a difference?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

MisterBibs posted:

edit for content: not my favorite card, but I always wanted to try and break this bastard, somehow. Turns out, no you can't, really, but whatever:

That's a really nice looking card

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

ilmucche posted:

That's a really nice looking card
John Avon is, like, really good at making amazing evocative art. For the second joke set, they let him make the art for the lands, full card size. Those are super duper expensive now as my googling just told me (I haven't played for a long while), and who could blame people? They're gorgeous.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

John Avon is, like, really good at making amazing evocative art. For the second joke set, they let him make the art for the lands, full card size. Those are super duper expensive now as my googling just told me (I haven't played for a long while), and who could blame people? They're gorgeous.

Why the gently caress wouldn't you keep that design?

The forest one got the Cure stuck in my head

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

The foils look amazing too.

As far as chronicles goes, it was ok. The game was a lot slower back then. It was mostly made because AN, AQ and Legends were a very limited print run and by the time FE came out the dark was like 3x msrp a pack. So it was very difficult to get any of those cards at the time.

The commons were pretty bad and unexciting. But being able to get an elder dragon, city of brass and ernham djinn was amazing. The originals were close to $30 at the time. And even those rare legends were like $20. Basically before chronicles commons from the first 3 sets were $1 a piece they were so hard to get.

It was more of a supplemental to 4th edition. Back when it was literally 3 releases a year and no preconstructed sealed product I always felt a new chronicles set on off years from the core sets would have been a cool way to freshen up type 2 and help solve problems with too dominant decks. Look up an old necropotence deck from 95/96 and realize you were either playing it or specifically trying to beat it.

Even white weenie couldn’t do much with disenchant because the black decks would run 10-12 creatures with protection from white.

Excuse me while I go yell at a cloud now

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

The American Dream posted:

The foils look amazing too.

As far as chronicles goes, it was ok. The game was a lot slower back then. It was mostly made because AN, AQ and Legends were a very limited print run and by the time FE came out the dark was like 3x msrp a pack. So it was very difficult to get any of those cards at the time.

The commons were pretty bad and unexciting. But being able to get an elder dragon, city of brass and ernham djinn was amazing. The originals were close to $30 at the time. And even those rare legends were like $20. Basically before chronicles commons from the first 3 sets were $1 a piece they were so hard to get.

It was more of a supplemental to 4th edition. Back when it was literally 3 releases a year and no preconstructed sealed product I always felt a new chronicles set on off years from the core sets would have been a cool way to freshen up type 2 and help solve problems with too dominant decks. Look up an old necropotence deck from 95/96 and realize you were either playing it or specifically trying to beat it.

Even white weenie couldn’t do much with disenchant because the black decks would run 10-12 creatures with protection from white.

Excuse me while I go yell at a cloud now

Crusade + Jihad was fun for my poor white deck.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've always loved the old slivers and their variations on a design theme. My favorite game of MTG I played was one where for once I got out infinite slivers using the Sliver Queen combo, but my opponent got out infinite squirrels. In the end we had to reason out which set of infinity was larger to see who won (it was the squirrels). :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dog :3:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Outstanding Dog Marron

Redundant.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I've always loved the old slivers and their variations on a design theme. My favorite game of MTG I played was one where for once I got out infinite slivers using the Sliver Queen combo, but my opponent got out infinite squirrels. In the end we had to reason out which set of infinity was larger to see who won (it was the squirrels). :v:

Was there any particular logic behind the decision?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Benny Harvey posted:

Why the gently caress wouldn't you keep that design?

The forest one got the Cure stuck in my head

They brought them back for the latest joke set late last year. In a set where 99% of the cards will never be tournament legal, a foil full art Island sells for like $90 USD.

I think it's a thing to placate the fun haters who would otherwise get mad about them launching a set with cards that require you to keep your head on the table to keep them in play. But I think otherwise it would cost them a lot of money to have an artist do lands that fancy for every set.

Mr Luxury Yacht has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Jan 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A high-power toolbox that can get way too huge for a 3-drop, add an extra mana, and find whatever utility lands you need, all in one card.

No funny lore or trivia, it's just really good and I love using it. :shobon:

And it thins your deck, too. Good lord.

I haven't played in 7+ years, and it's fun to see the new broken cards.