Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm not a fan of that article. I really wish the writer went into some more detail on some of the combos (the kiki-jiki one being the biggest one. Is the combo just that you can use Kiki-jiki to trigger the other cards CiT abilities at will? Most kiki-jiki decks I've seen focus more on making him go infinite on making tokens and then using said tokens to win). Also... is just saying "storm" really a combo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Randalor posted:

I'm not a fan of that article. I really wish the writer went into some more detail on some of the combos (the kiki-jiki one being the biggest one. Is the combo just that you can use Kiki-jiki to trigger the other cards CiT abilities at will? Most kiki-jiki decks I've seen focus more on making him go infinite on making tokens and then using said tokens to win). Also... is just saying "storm" really a combo?

Since you have to (presumably, I dont play magic) build around this, which is having enough mana, and a reliable way to play and replay spells, favorably low mana spells that play into each other, and then tutor/draw out your desired storm card, hell yeah its a combo. The cards are different between each formulation but the methods dont chnage much.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Randalor posted:

Kikki does go infinite with any creature that enters the battlefield and says “untap target creature “. The usual suspects are Pestermite and Deciever Exarch, but Zealous Conscripts or even Restoration Angel can do it (Angel token ETBs and targets Kikki, which returns untapped and uses its ability again, repeat until opponent is dead.). The card Splinter Twin does the same thing as an enchantment that’s one mana cheaper, and that was too powerful for modern.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
Yeah I don't like that article. It kinda seems like someone who was on the border between casual and competitive trying to talk about the most powerful competitive combo decks, that he knows about but isn't intimately familiar with. It's just a little weird.

The storm thing does bother me, too. Like sure, the basic idea behind storm decks is the same, but I've played two different storm decks in the past week that play pretty differently. And that's not even taking into account some of the weirder past decks like Dragonstorm decks. Calling out a literal card ability that is used more-or-less as intended as a "combo" just seems weird.

Also the dredge one is weird. Again, dredge decks have been around since the cards were printed and he points out Bridge from Below and Bazaar of Baghdad? Bridge from Below isn't even played in a lot of dredge decks. Why would you list it as one of the main parts of the combo instead of an actual card with dredge (which is the primary engine of the deck) or one of the main payoffs like Narcomoeba or Ichorid.

Edit: Actually on closer review I think this guy has no idea what he's talking about. Playing Petrified Field in Vintage Dredge is baffling and seems to imply he is either very bad at the game or has pretty much never played the deck in his life.

Phthisis has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Sep 7, 2018

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Check out the new Soul Fusion promo card:

quote:

If a Token is Special Summoned (except during the Damage Step): You can Special Summon this card from the GY (if it was there when that Token was Summoned) or hand (even if not). You can only use this effect of "Token Collector" once per turn. If this card is Special Summoned: Destroy as many Tokens on the field as possible, and if you do, this card gains 400 ATK for each Token destroyed. Neither player can Special Summon Tokens.

RIP Scapegoat

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

For some reason, I was blanking on the fact that Kiki-Jiki gives the tokens haste, but I still stand by "Storm is not a combo".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Super Waffle posted:

Check out the new Soul Fusion promo card:

RIP Scapegoat

It will hilarious if scapegoat get hit on the ban list, making that card basically useless.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nah. There's loads of other stuff that generates tokens and are seeing play.

The most common being Mecha Phantom Beast O-Lion and Dandylion, who are key members of GoodStuffLink.dek.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Vandar posted:

GoodStuffLink.dek.

This isn't Vandar being pithy by the way, there's actually a deck in Japan players call "Good Stuff Link" which just throws together all the best swarming cards to spam Link Summons, and it's competitive enough that people really are sideboarding Token Collector against it. :allears:

https://roadoftheking.com/ocg-2018-07-metagame-report-9-10/

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vandar posted:

Nah. There's loads of other stuff that generates tokens and are seeing play.

The most common being Mecha Phantom Beast O-Lion and Dandylion, who are key members of GoodStuffLink.dek.

Dandelion is banned and has been for a while. Maybe the Ocg is different but no meta deck plays Mecha phantom beast O lion. The only other token cards that are meta are the sky striker card and phantom blaster which is a tech card at best.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Dandelion is banned and has been for a while. Maybe the Ocg is different but no meta deck plays Mecha phantom beast O lion. The only other token cards that are meta are the sky striker card and phantom blaster which is a tech card at best.

I was referring to OCG meta so. :v:

TCG is a hot mess that's ran by a joker and it's better for everyone involved if we pretend like it doesn't exist.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Huh I just learned there's two different Yu-Gi-Oh card games

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
YuGiOh is kinda a hot mess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Vandar posted:

I was referring to OCG meta so. :v:

TCG is a hot mess that's ran by a joker and it's better for everyone involved if we pretend like it doesn't exist.

The TCG is fine the only real issue is they sometimes don’t get cards for no real reason.

Len posted:

Huh I just learned there's two different Yu-Gi-Oh card games
They aren’t different really they just have their own banlists, neither is better just different.

PubicMice posted:

YuGiOh is kinda a hot mess.

No more than magic really.

Card games in general are giant messes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ineffiable posted:

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/abesargent-08162016-top-ten-combo-decks-of-all-time/

Ran into this article this morning. Pretty sure we mentioned some of these combos but there's other interesting ones.

This is more "10 famous combo decks from Magic's history" and not the ten best in order. Also that Memory Jar deck is definitely #1, Pros Bloom just happened to be the first "combo" deck in Magic as the term is used these days.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

The TCG is fine the only real issue is they sometimes don’t get cards for no real reason.

I very much would argue with that.

It's not 'sometimes' they don't get cards, it's quite a bit more than that:

(This is slightly out of date, but even then.)

Some of those are key cards that some decks need to function, and TCG likes to drag out their releases for whatever reason. Some of them are promos that they have no control over, but the rest make little sense as to why they don't release them.

Even aside from that there's the fact that TCG is incredibly slow with it's banlists and likes to leave things on it for way longer than they should be. It's generally accepted that the OCG has a better and more interesting banlist, and it's definitely more consistent that the TCG. They get their list every three months, whereas the TCG is just like 'yeah whenever it doesn't matter'.

Then we can get into the fact that the head of the TCG division thinks that lore doesn't exist in the game and will go out of his way to ignore or ruin lore on cards ("Check THIS out!").

So, uh, yeah. I wouldn't say the TCG is 'fine' and and that 'sometimes' not getting cards is the only real issue with it.

EDIT: There’s the new time rules/end of match procedure too, which loving lol that’s warped the game in a terrible way.

Vandar has a new favorite as of 04:54 on Sep 9, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The ban list is fine and no different enough for one to be better. No one cares about the lore or whatever, as Lore has always been something Yu gi oh has half assed.

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 12:30 on Sep 9, 2018

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

And again, I strongly disagree. The OCG has put a lot of effort into lore and card storylines for a long time now, especially since DUEA/the start of the Arc-V era, and most of that work is ignored by the TCG trying to be cutesy with names and translations and flavor text. It’s pretty unfair to say that no one cares about it, too. The YGO Goons discord is evidence enough of that considering how much we overanalyze card art and names whenever new cards are announced. :v:

As far as the banlist goes, I’d be willing to say most people have issues with the TCG lists, considering 1) all the cards that are on it that shouldn’t be, and 2) how infrequently TCG actually gives us our lists.

I love the game to death, but it’d be pretty unfair of me to act like the TCG side of things doesn’t have issues. :shrug:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Vandar posted:

And again, I strongly disagree. The OCG has put a lot of effort into lore and card storylines for a long time now, especially since DUEA/the start of the Arc-V era, and most of that work is ignored by the TCG trying to be cutesy with names and translations and flavor text. It’s pretty unfair to say that no one cares about it, too. The YGO Goons discord is evidence enough of that considering how much we overanalyze card art and names whenever new cards are announced. :v:

As far as the banlist goes, I’d be willing to say most people have issues with the TCG lists, considering 1) all the cards that are on it that shouldn’t be, and 2) how infrequently TCG actually gives us our lists.

I love the game to death, but it’d be pretty unfair of me to act like the TCG side of things doesn’t have issues. :shrug:

imagine being this upset about yu-gi-oh translations

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

hosed up that someone cares about card games in this, the post about game cards you care about thread

Danger! is another YGO theme that's super on-point with thematically relevant effects - it's a bunch of cryptids that give your opponent a brief peek that they exist before hiding away in the hand again and having to be found (or even if they are found they get a different effect because lol powercreep but anyway). Also their names are loving amazing. :allears:

!?

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Sep 10, 2018

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

These two cards in a soldier-y token deck (Raise the alarm, conquerer's pledge, etc) are super fun. Doesn't win a lot but when it does it's quite hilarious.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

AlphaKretin posted:

hosed up that someone cares about card games in this, the post about game cards you care about thread

That's a ridiculous mechanic and I would love for it to be a thing in magic. Card sits in your hand and when revealed because of your opponent it does something. Fight duresses and whatnot.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Netrunner does it a bunch:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Vandar posted:

The TCG does have issues, but most of them (outside the releasing cards thing) are shared by the OCG. The rest of the TCG doesn’t really care about lore, which is why they don’t release the books here. The banlist is more dynamic as it can be released when they feel it necessary. Granted they don’t always make the right hits but neither does the OCG.

Firewall should have been banned months ago.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I care about card lore :saddowns:

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Speaking of Firewalls, Ice Wall and Fire Wall in Netrunner have some my favourite flavour text:

Along with this one:

"Nothing says we can't torture the runner in cyberspace!"

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

ilmucche posted:

That's a ridiculous mechanic and I would love for it to be a thing in magic. Card sits in your hand and when revealed because of your opponent it does something. Fight duresses and whatnot.

Not exactly the same, but there's a smattering of cards that do something when your opponent makes you discard them, generally putting the card into play or returning it to your hand.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RIP, Netrunner. :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Not exactly the same, but there's a smattering of cards that do something when your opponent makes you discard them, generally putting the card into play or returning it to your hand.

The Madness mechanic basically did this too, but in most Madness decks, the player themselves was doing the discard. UG Madness forever.

And yeah RIP Netrunner.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I have a similar deck built around Day of the Dragons

It isn't about win %, it's about how absurd the wins are when they come!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There was on from the Onslaught block, I think Scourge, that turned you into a 5/5 dragon

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Form of the Dragon

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A flexible banlist schedule is fine.

A banlist schedule that's been stretched to the point it snaps is loving not

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

PrinnySquadron posted:

I just realized you can Shock! out Archives for three damage every run there, unless I'm missing something? :psyduck:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

PrinnySquadron posted:

Incredible, they even have the same naming scheme!

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

food court bailiff posted:

I just realized you can Shock! out Archives for three damage every run there, unless I'm missing something? :psyduck:

That is indeed correct as written. Gotta get them in there, first, after that... :hellyeah:

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Breached Dome will hit them as well each time they run on archives.

It makes it interesting: If I access them from R&D(their deck) do i let them sit there and be drawn and risk hitting if I run on HQ(their hand) or hit if they play it face-down or do I make them discard it and make running on the discard pile riskier?

EDIT: Coincidentally, my friend hates playing against Jinteki

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

The Bloop posted:

I have a similar deck built around Day of the Dragons

It isn't about win %, it's about how absurd the wins are when they come!
Why is that dragon's shoulder a giant eye?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Why is that dragon's shoulder a giant eye?

Because he doesn't have any on his face.

(It's not though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013