Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It should also be mentioned pot of greed and monster reborn have never really been a problem because up till now they have been banned far longer than they have seen play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Bloop posted:

I've never seen Yu-Gi-Oh art that didn't look like uttert poo poo to me

It kept me from ever even trying it.

In fact, the border, font, symbols and everything look like amateur hour rear end imo

I feel the same about magic, though it’s more painfully generic

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I think you mean a 50% chance of destroying a coin, based on that wording.

Same. Mostly when I look at a Yu-Gi-Oh card I just see noise. I have to really concentrate to even figure out what the hell I'm supposed to be looking at. And the numbers are just crazy. Why not divide everything by 100?

Modern MtG art is super generic, but at least you can usually tell what it's meant to be at a glance.

You can tell what yugioh cards are as long as you aren’t blind.

Well most of the time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yinlock posted:

you can't counterplay if you don't know what the card is, my strategy is flawless

To be fair that is how the anime worked.

To bad the characters had a need to monologue about what the cards did.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yinlock posted:

the catapult turtle flotation ring gambit is still the greatest turn in yugioh history

the story was made before the card game so early on things were real stupid/amazing

More or less than attacking the moon to cause the tides to recede leaving Makos monsters without water to defend themselves.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yinlock posted:

that's pretty great but it's just not quite insane enough, like you can reproduce that in card form somewhat

the flotation ring gambit is just a move of impossible unlogic

Early yu hi oh is just a dungeons and dragons game where the DM lets you do whatever if you can create a reasonable explanation

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yinlock posted:

and then yugi's dark magician gets stronger because it studied for those 1000 years

so dumb, and great

That card got brought to the actual card game with that summoning condition.

I don’t think anyone has actually summoned it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The harshest they hosed a card from the anime is neos wiseman

In the show it was a fusion of Neos and Yubel which is hard but doable.

They changed it to an effect monster that needed Neos and Yubel on the field.

Neos is a two tribute monster and Yubel is a two or three, which can be softened with spells but either way you are spending an insane amount of cards to get this fucker out and he is only doing ok.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yinlock posted:

i love it anyway, i love Dumb poo poo in card games

Check out literally any anime card they try to fit into the actual game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

hexwren posted:

Or, alternately, "That card says I have to discard two cards. I have one card. I cannot discard two cards. Therefore, that card cannot take effect."

Yeah in card games you have to be very specific or you get really weird interactions if your card game is even slightly complicated.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

People are surprisingly mad about the pun names.

It’s a card game who cares

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

I'm mad that only one out of three of those "fur hire" cards actually has fur. One's a lizard and one's a fish (although the lizard does look like it's wearing a wig, or his head might be on fire). At that point, the only reason I can think of to use the "fur" pun is to appeal to furries.

if they are appealing to the furries wouldn’t they give them all fur? That seems like the more realistic option.

As I don’t think furies care about the name come on man think it through or be a little less obsessed with furries

Or maybe furries love puns, idk.

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 21:15 on May 26, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

They fuckin' do, that's why I'm suspicious.

I mean yu gi oh localizers also love puns. It’s a well documented fact

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Heath posted:

Man the monsters in Digimon sucked

They are great.

Well the recolors suck but as a kid I loved them way more than Pokémon.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I always thought Magic’s art is kind of boring?

Just generic fantasy nothing visually all that interesting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Super Waffle posted:

Check out the new Soul Fusion promo card:

RIP Scapegoat

It will hilarious if scapegoat get hit on the ban list, making that card basically useless.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Vandar posted:

Nah. There's loads of other stuff that generates tokens and are seeing play.

The most common being Mecha Phantom Beast O-Lion and Dandylion, who are key members of GoodStuffLink.dek.

Dandelion is banned and has been for a while. Maybe the Ocg is different but no meta deck plays Mecha phantom beast O lion. The only other token cards that are meta are the sky striker card and phantom blaster which is a tech card at best.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Vandar posted:

I was referring to OCG meta so. :v:

TCG is a hot mess that's ran by a joker and it's better for everyone involved if we pretend like it doesn't exist.

The TCG is fine the only real issue is they sometimes don’t get cards for no real reason.

Len posted:

Huh I just learned there's two different Yu-Gi-Oh card games
They aren’t different really they just have their own banlists, neither is better just different.

PubicMice posted:

YuGiOh is kinda a hot mess.

No more than magic really.

Card games in general are giant messes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The ban list is fine and no different enough for one to be better. No one cares about the lore or whatever, as Lore has always been something Yu gi oh has half assed.

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 12:30 on Sep 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Vandar posted:

And again, I strongly disagree. The OCG has put a lot of effort into lore and card storylines for a long time now, especially since DUEA/the start of the Arc-V era, and most of that work is ignored by the TCG trying to be cutesy with names and translations and flavor text. It’s pretty unfair to say that no one cares about it, too. The YGO Goons discord is evidence enough of that considering how much we overanalyze card art and names whenever new cards are announced. :v:

As far as the banlist goes, I’d be willing to say most people have issues with the TCG lists, considering 1) all the cards that are on it that shouldn’t be, and 2) how infrequently TCG actually gives us our lists.

I love the game to death, but it’d be pretty unfair of me to act like the TCG side of things doesn’t have issues. :shrug:

The TCG does have issues, but most of them (outside the releasing cards thing) are shared by the OCG. The rest of the TCG doesn’t really care about lore, which is why they don’t release the books here. The banlist is more dynamic as it can be released when they feel it necessary. Granted they don’t always make the right hits but neither does the OCG.

Firewall should have been banned months ago.