Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Deckit posted:

I have just never been brave enough to go for the heart during ascension climbs. Maybe I'll start trying with Silent.

If memory serves, killing the act 3 boss unlocks the next ascension even if you die during act 4 of the same run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

HundredBears posted:

If memory serves, killing the act 3 boss unlocks the next ascension even if you die during act 4 of the same run.

Correct

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Deckit posted:

I have just never been brave enough to go for the heart during ascension climbs. Maybe I'll start trying with Silent.

Getting the keys is pretty easy usually and dying in Act 4 still unlocks the next ascension, so I'd say go for it. The hard part is actually beating the heart (especially for Silent), but again, if you die you do not lose anything ascension-wise.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
My brain isn't parsing the Blasphemy variant joke card art. What is that, an egg being cracked over a bowl?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I think it's Snecko Eye and a trashcan?

Attached the image for reference in case anyone doesn't feel like booting the game to see it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

that's incredible

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's specifically dragging Snecko Eye into the Recycle Bin on your desktop.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Dramatika posted:

I think it's Snecko Eye and a trashcan?

Attached the image for reference in case anyone doesn't feel like booting the game to see it

Whoever drew this is my personal hero.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
there is a reason the best possible card depicts the best possible course of action

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

HundredBears posted:

KonvexKonkav posted:

Getting the keys is pretty easy usually and dying in Act 4 still unlocks the next ascension, so I'd say go for it. The hard part is actually beating the heart (especially for Silent), but again, if you die you do not lose anything ascension-wise.

Well poo poo, lets do it then.

Jedit posted:

It's specifically dragging Snecko Eye into the Recycle Bin on your desktop.

Some of the beta art for Watcher is really good. Study, Establishment, Scrawl, Conjurer. Memes and animes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Deckit posted:

Some of the beta art for Watcher is really good. Study, Establishment, Scrawl, Conjurer. Memes and animes.

The team that made The Hermit also made Beta Art for their cards, and it also has some memes in it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i had an extremely stupid watcher deck on my last run where i was generating 20 block every time i switched stances. i think i drafted four of that card that gives block on stance switch and i also ended up with the mummys hand so it was always a net gain. i also got two of the calm on attack cards and a tantrum, plus i think i had three or four of the stance switch retain cards. i absolutely crushed the heart.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I just had an a6 run on Ironclad carried by Snecko Eye it was awesome.

Then I got the matching card game and saw some colorless zero cost “gain 4 block” card and was like “oh I saw that” and paired it and immediately went “gently caress”

Paid a vendor to get rid of it

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Swapped for a boss relic and got Snecko. Blasphemy dropped on floor 7. Really enjoyed when the 400 damage Ragnaroks on the bosses.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

I just had an a6 run on Ironclad carried by Snecko Eye it was awesome.

Then I got the matching card game and saw some colorless zero cost “gain 4 block” card and was like “oh I saw that” and paired it and immediately went “gently caress”

Paid a vendor to get rid of it

Yeah, snecko is maybe the most powerful relic in the game, but I really dislike taking it because it takes all the the designers intricate balances and throws them out the window.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Can someone tell me about hyperbeam? I just managed to lose with snecko eye, bottled echo form, 4x hyperbeam, because I couldn't generate block when needed (nemesis and giant head)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TacoNight posted:

Can someone tell me about hyperbeam? I just managed to lose with snecko eye, bottled echo form, 4x hyperbeam, because I couldn't generate block when needed (nemesis and giant head)

Hyperbeam is only really useful for clearing out groups of enemies, it shouldn't be something you use every time it pulls up.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
But, 35 damage, that's so much damage.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

It’s tough to win a full run with a deck whose primary identity is built around playing hyperbeam. It can be done, but you usually want to pivot to another approach at some point.

It’s a lot of damage, but you can’t use frost orbs to block anymore. If you have a lot of energy and a couple copies of reinforced body+ and a copy of go for the eyes+, that will help a lot. Apparitions or strong blocking relics may also make it easier to justify leaning into hyperbeam. Defends won’t be enough.

Also, even though it’s a lot of damage, it doesn’t scale as well as focus/orb strategies, and that will be a problem against giant head and the heart. It might be enough damage in those fights with beam cell, pen nib, and/or necronomicon though.

It’s great on floor 0 because playing it once wins (or does most of the work for) most act 1 fights and a fair number of act 2 fights, but it’s anti-scaling, and you get tested on your scaling a lot more in act 3 and 4. So most runs just take 1 copy, and you may end up removing it at a store in act 3 or 4. Or giving it away to the fire spirits, if you’re lucky.

Basically it’s a great front loaded damage card but a bad scaling card, and the early game tends to favor front loaded damage and the late game tends to favor scaling, so you’ll either need to stop relying on it, or you need a lot of block and damage scaling compensation to continue using it as your primary source of damage in the late game.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

LifeCoach quit entirely after two days of playing the Defect.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cards have different purposed in Slay the Spire. Hyperbeam is good at frontloaded AoE damage, which can be very important in some fights (eg Slaver Taskmaster, Gremlin Leader, Reptomancer) but that's at the cost of nerfing your damage over time or 'scaling'. That means it's good in some fights but actively detrimental in others (particularly Giant Head and the act 3 bosses), especially when Defect's most consistent (only?) scaling plan is to gather a bunch of orbs and focus.

It's actually OK to pick up cards like Hyperbeam if you really need a way to win AoE fights, but you need a plan to beat every floor of the game rather than just some of them. If you think about how much health an enemy like Awakened One has it's just not really a viable plan to cast Hyperbeam 20 times.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 16, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

There are times when Hyperbeam is really good throughout, but they all involve Pellets.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Eh. The issue is you almost always want to be actually gaining focus as Defect in long fights, and Hyperbeam will negate your gains even if you have Orange Pellets. Orange Pellets is very good though.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Hyperbeam is a nicely balanced card which gives a lot of frontloaded power in exchange for a serious drawback that matters more and more as the fight goes on.

Understanding that makes Immolate, which does the same thing in exchange for an absolutely piddling disadvantage that the Ironclad is well-placed to ignore (or even benefit from!) look even more crazy-good by comparison.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think of hyperbeam as a really high end version of those act 1 cards like the 0 cost attacks that are really helpful in a1 hallway fights and you might want to think of throwing in the bin later on.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The Silent has... wait, where are you going?! The Silent has something, I swear!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Please respect Dash, the ultimate in Act 1 technology

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just had my first heart-winnable deck with the Silent, I was full in on shivs with the pyramid that makes it so you don't mill your cards, so I was double-footworked up with the block cards that generate shivs, and envenom just continually smashing into things with more and more poison. I had the crow up to somewhere like 60 poison damage and then just rinsed him with shivs, I was pumped.

Only to realize as the last damage ticks happened that I neglected to get the ruby key.

:smith:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

thecluckmeme posted:

I just had my first heart-winnable deck with the Silent, I was full in on shivs with the pyramid that makes it so you don't mill your cards, so I was double-footworked up with the block cards that generate shivs, and envenom just continually smashing into things with more and more poison. I had the crow up to somewhere like 60 poison damage and then just rinsed him with shivs, I was pumped.

Only to realize as the last damage ticks happened that I neglected to get the ruby key.

:smith:

I love to see shiv smash. And that red key has eluded us all like that. :unsmith:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Victory Position posted:

The Silent has... wait, where are you going?! The Silent has something, I swear!

...wraithform?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Glass Knife is the Silent rare that's extremely strong in fast fights but falls off for longer ones.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Glass Knife is the Silent rare that's extremely strong in fast fights but falls off for longer ones.

Glass Knife+ rarely gets weaker than the regular version, even in boss fights.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
managed to get up to 2 x 365 DMG on Time Eater with the ironclad on A7 using 2 x Rupture, 1 x Combust, Double Tap and Heavy Blade. I think I had 39 strength at that point? Satisfying.

Edit: corrected my dmg

cosmin fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 26, 2020

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It's always a good feeling to defeat Time Eater. That dude blows.

I had a really good Shiv run going and obviously drew Time Eater as Act 3 boss. Turns out you can beat Time Eater with Shivs if you can get em to do like 35 damage each

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Whenever my spouse or I beat Time Eater, we'll sing "Let's gently caress the Time Bitch again!" to the tune of Time Warp.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Shine posted:

Whenever my spouse or I beat Time Eater, we'll sing "Let's gently caress the Time Bitch again!" to the tune of Time Warp.

Rude

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008

FOOOOOLISH! FOOLISH!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shine posted:

Never... Liked... You...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Beat A20 heart!

IC is probably my favourite class overall, there's a good variety of powerful things you can do to win even at A20. FNP is probably the most reliable way to fight the heart though, and Juggernaut is the ideal way to convert its defense into damage.

Guess I'll try and win with the other classes. Maybe I'll even do it without rerolling into the best boss relic in the game...

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Love the three copies of Dark Embrace with the two copies of Fiend Fire. Yum.

Ironclad is beautiful. Exhaust is just a great mechanic.