Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Llamadeus posted:

The recent runs are mostly in the 2-2.5 hour range, they're on Twitch but get automatically removed after a few months

https://www.twitch.tv/lifecoach1981/videos

Thanks. I watched the first of his iron clad runs. His debating with chat style is much better for explaining the thought process than Jorbs “I’m so clever, watch this” style which can be really hard to follow if you don’t already see the trick coming.

2 hours is still a lot to dedicate, even more so when it’s across dozens of episodes, but it seems worth it to watch a few of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Sometimes the best defense is 8 meteor hammers

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I will never actually be good at this game because I refuse to do math, make plans, or learn enemy patterns, but even I've managed to beat A20 so I'm pretty sure everyone can

Edit: And I'm still seeing nee stuff apparently, I don't think I've ever gotten this "Champion Belt" relic before, it seems very nice.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 25, 2021

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

My first wins came from recognizing that defense is usually more important than offense. Making defense focused decks will vastly reduce variance. You really, only need one or two good attacks to dominate a game and having more than that can make your whole deck weaker.

This feels like a bad habit tbh? I felt the same early on and to be fair most of my earliest wins came from this sort of strategy but over-reliance on defense seems like a common newbie trap. Most encounters are designed to punish stalling and trying to block all incoming damage can cause you to wind up losing more health in the long run.

Having a defense engine is extremely useful and important. But a big part of the reason for that is that it frees you up to play more attacks. (Conversely, an offense or scaling engine does let you get away with just sitting back and focusing on defense, but there are relatively few options for that which will easily carry a deck. Mostly poison.)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I have to ask how many runs did it take you guys to first successfully complete a run, cause this is run 20 now and it's starting to just plain be frustrating, doesn't help that most of my losses don't feel like I lost because of some great error on my part but rather just bad RNG and unfair game design, or that since at this point I usually can make it to somewhere in Act 2 before something screws me over that means at least a half hour to two hours of my time gets consumed for no tangible results

So maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds to me like you're a new player.

If that's correct, you're pretty much going to lose a lot at first. There are a lot of good Cards and Relics that aren't available until you've played enough games and unlocked them. Each time you finish a game (win or lose), your Score is added to a bar that, when full, will unlock more things.

Once you have everything unlocked, you'll start to get the tools you need to start winning more frequently.

Unless, of course, you're like me, and Bad At Video Games™. I can't beat A1. On any character. :downs:

Just keep trying, and feel free to share seeds and result screens. There are plenty of goons here who will give you great advice!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

This feels like a bad habit tbh? I felt the same early on and to be fair most of my earliest wins came from this sort of strategy but over-reliance on defense seems like a common newbie trap. Most encounters are designed to punish stalling and trying to block all incoming damage can cause you to wind up losing more health in the long run.

Having a defense engine is extremely useful and important. But a big part of the reason for that is that it frees you up to play more attacks. (Conversely, an offense or scaling engine does let you get away with just sitting back and focusing on defense, but there are relatively few options for that which will easily carry a deck. Mostly poison.)

Sorry, yes. I meant this as a method to make progress, get unlocks and learn the game. Not a long term strategy.

That said, all the top streamers still basically settle for one good attack for act one unless some confluence of synergies opens the game up early. Even later on you still are really looking for scaling or utility more than just card with raw big number.

Jorbs and life coach have both made this point multiple times.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Murgos posted:

Sorry, yes. I meant this as a method to make progress, get unlocks and learn the game. Not a long term strategy.

That said, all the top streamers still basically settle for one good attack for act one unless some confluence of synergies opens the game up early. Even later on you still are really looking for scaling or utility more than just card with raw big number.

Jorbs and life coach have both made this point multiple times.

Oh, I took "you only need one or two good attacks" to mean "you only need to take one or two attacks." Yeah, you don't need to be looking to take a bunch of big flagship attacks, but you do want some filler/utility attacks to tide you along.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

I have to ask how many runs did it take you guys to first successfully complete a run, cause this is run 20 now and it's starting to just plain be frustrating, doesn't help that most of my losses don't feel like I lost because of some great error on my part but rather just bad RNG and unfair game design, or that since at this point I usually can make it to somewhere in Act 2 before something screws me over that means at least a half hour to two hours of my time gets consumed for no tangible results

After I had everyone unlocked I did about 10 runs with each character just beating Act 1. I wanted to get a good handle on what it takes to get through the first part of the game in terms of elites, pathing and cards.

Now 200 hours later I still suck but at least I know why I suck. My Silent is on A9, Watcher on A7, Defect on A6 and Ironclad on A5.

With the Silent in particular it helps to not build focused decks in Act 1. She struggles to deal damage so just grab that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Murgos posted:

Thanks. I watched the first of his iron clad runs. His debating with chat style is much better for explaining the thought process than Jorbs “I’m so clever, watch this” style which can be really hard to follow if you don’t already see the trick coming.

2 hours is still a lot to dedicate, even more so when it’s across dozens of episodes, but it seems worth it to watch a few of them.

Lifecoach is much more watchable live, because the gameplay gets broken up with conversations about non-game subjects and, when chat suggests something dumb, the sickest burns laid down in a German-speaking country since the Allied bombing of Dresden. You also get occasional side events such as stream invasions from the Lifekids or LC demonstrating one of his many other talents. The other day he was juggling, and one time we got an impromptu piano concerto where he played a piece of his own composition.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Well on the first one where I was initially doing good, like I said the mistake was doing the Vampire deal as I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize that it would cost me a significant amount of health* nor did I realize that it would give me bite cards equivalent to the starting amount of Strike cards not my current amount(I had ditched at least two) and combined those both threw off my play and screwed me over when I ran into what's probably one of the worst things a Silent can run into; a multiple enemy encounter composed of multiple high health and highly aggressive enemies

As for the seed; ZZXG7G5ZTW1P

*as I had only encountered it before on Ironclad runs where I had a Perfected Strike in my deck so I would immediately say no as it would gimp one of my strongest attacks

Oh maybe I misread but I did it as Silent instead of IC. Died at the heart but ended up with a sweet Shiv-lite deck.

Deckit posted:

It's 1am but I'm sure as poo poo gonna play that seed before I go to bed.

Sure as poo poo played for 10 minutes then went to bed.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Deckit posted:

Oh maybe I misread but I did it as Silent instead of IC. Died at the heart but ended up with a sweet Shiv-lite deck.

Sure as poo poo played for 10 minutes then went to bed.

Nah it was a Silent run, I just mentioned the Ironclad runs as being my previous encounter with the Vampire event(which thinking it over really would make more sense as an early Act 1 event as there's probably no real benefit to it by the point in Act 2 you usually encounter it, while it could have been useful if you were to get it at the very beginning of a run instead)

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Misrouted in act 3 so I couldn't do the burning elite. First time in probably more than a thousand runs that I've done that. And on the previous floor I had just bought Pellets, bought a Bottled Tornado and bottled Biased Cognition, and removed Pain, which was extra good because I had Helix. Oh, and I had Mummified Hand too.

Waaahhhh

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Don't feel bad. I had a great Ironclad run that made it to Time Eater with double FnP, Imperviousness, and a bunch of strength and I died because I didn't pay attention to his counter.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It’s funny you say that because I had time eater at 2 hp last night on an IC run and died because he hit turn 12 because I was being careless and played a defend the turn before when I didn’t need to.

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 25, 2021

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Nah it was a Silent run, I just mentioned the Ironclad runs as being my previous encounter with the Vampire event(which thinking it over really would make more sense as an early Act 1 event as there's probably no real benefit to it by the point in Act 2 you usually encounter it, while it could have been useful if you were to get it at the very beginning

My stream cut out halfway through so I don't have a link now, but we just finished this run and are uploading the recording to YT. Should be ready in a couple hours and I'll link it.

Edit: Oh wait you can watch the first 90 minutes while we wait. Ignore the title, I'm not sure why it kept the title from my other Twitch account's last broadcast.

https://twitch.tv/videos/1159130862

Edit: Full video should be ready in 15 minutes here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QKCNGEoQWY

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 26, 2021

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Nah it was a Silent run, I just mentioned the Ironclad runs as being my previous encounter with the Vampire event(which thinking it over really would make more sense as an early Act 1 event as there's probably no real benefit to it by the point in Act 2 you usually encounter it, while it could have been useful if you were to get it at the very beginning of a run instead)

Fun fact: If you have the relic blood vial, you get the option of offering that instead of losing max health.

We did not have blood vial in our run, though

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

ASAPRockySituation posted:

It’s funny you say that because I had time eater at 2 hp last night on an IC run and died because he hit turn 12 because I was being careless and played a defend the turn before when I didn’t need to.

Mine was below half HP after his heal and I boosted my strength when a single defend would have kept me alive long enough for the kill. I might just redo the seed since I've been struggling with Ironclad lately.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

My stream cut out halfway through so I don't have a link now, but we just finished this run and are uploading the recording to YT. Should be ready in a couple hours and I'll link it.

Edit: Oh wait you can watch the first 90 minutes while we wait. Ignore the title, I'm not sure why it kept the title from my other Twitch account's last broadcast.

https://twitch.tv/videos/1159130862

Edit: Full video should be ready in 15 minutes here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QKCNGEoQWY

Rewatching this, I can see how it can make a newer player feel it's a RNG issue. The game never consistently gave us cards that fit a particular theme or archetype. But by considering what we needed to beat upcoming elites and bosses plus utterly overworking key rares like Hand of Greed, adrenaline, and nightmare we were able to overcome any shortcomings using a metric poo poo ton of Cardplay strategy.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

drrockso20 posted:

I rarely take the Vampire event but a few days ago I had a fun Silent A4 run where I got Coffe Dripper from Neo, struggled a bit in Act 1, then in Act 2 I took both the Apparition event to stop the bleeding and the Vampire event to gradually heal back up (I'd prolong fights just so I could cast more Bites).

Fun and different from the usual, unfortunately the Heart managed to attack me on a no-Apparition turn and well, I didn't have enough block to keep any of my whopping 24 HP :v:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
The real sweet spot for the vampire event is when you have molten egg already

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

curiousCat posted:

The real sweet spot for the vampire event is when you have molten egg already

That's one of the reasons I had accepted the deal, I had Molten Egg so since I hadn't paid attention and hadn't noticed either the health loss or it being exactly five cards added I thought it would just be a nice way to trade out the remaining couple Strike cards for something stronger

I imagine an early Act 1 Molten Egg is one of those relics that can just make things a lot easier since it frees up your upgrades for your skills and powers, not to mention a sizable boost to your overall damage output

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Early eggs rule. Early Molten Egg is really nice on everyone because of how important frontloaded damage is early. Early Toxic Egg on Silent and early Frozen Egg on Defect are nutty strong as well. But really, any early egg is great.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Goddamn it, the most broken Snecko swap run I've had so far and I still died like a chump to turn 3 Heart because I had no way out of Wrath and I could only block up to a total of ~110 effective HP and I needed to tank 120.

Still, from Act 2 it was super fun and from Act 3 it was utterly hilarious. Plenty of turn 1 kills including Spear, thanks to Necronomicon and like four different gold attacks, Ragnarok being the champ. Eruption/Indignation plus a 2cc Ragnarok+ = 144 damage right there, before vulns and other attacks. Then Meditate+ to repeat the exact same combo next round if necessary.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
My last run was Snecko Defect and wadya know i got 3 meteor strikes and 5 Holograms along the way. Gg!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NihilCredo posted:

Goddamn it, the most broken Snecko swap run I've had so far and I still died like a chump to turn 3 Heart because I had no way out of Wrath and I could only block up to a total of ~110 effective HP and I needed to tank 120.

You died because you went into Wrath without a way to get out of it, knowing that you were going to be attacked. The Heart is a race, but you still have to play it strategically.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I'm trying to get a headbutt/draw/rampage deck to work and it keeps feeling SO loving CLOSE and then I drop the ball.

Might have to try a lower ascension lvl than A20 to pull it off :(

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I don't even think the pro streamers can get rampage to work well enough to form the core of a deck.

It's ok for hexaghost if you really need scaling, but it really just takes forever to make it worthwhile.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I suppose it could work in a deck based around having a ton of block and Barricade, with Corruption to thin the deck.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

And then you're just better off using body slam.

Anyway, I went down to a10 and got the rampage deck working just fine first try - but by the time I beat the heart, I wasn't using the rampage anymore. Whoops! Turns out the stuff that makes rampage work well makes other stuff work better :v:

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 29, 2021

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah, I killed the heart with Rampage once, but A) it was one of those decks where you have Barricade down, and are playing Entrench every turn, and B) it still almost wasn't fast enough.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm going through a lot of life bullshit right now and have cowered to the corner of games as distraction.

I adore this game but I've basically worn it out, having put like 400+ hours into it across multiple devices. I've also tried the following games (with brief thoughts in parentheses):

Card Quest (meh)
Dream Quest (bounced off it)
Griftlands (was great at first but swiftly fell off...got a good ~20h before every run started feeling the same to me)
Roguebook (similar to the above)
Monster Train (probably the best of the spire-likes I've played but still only kept me engaged for like ~40h)
Loop Hero (had a great time overall but once it was done I felt no incentive to re-run it)
Tainted Grail (didn't grab me at all - I liked some of the mechanics but found it ugly and cumbersome)

I should note that I'm totally cool with some of these games - not every game has to be an infinitely replayable piece of perfection like Spire is to me, after all - but yeah at this point I'm just looking for any recs I may have missed.

I'm also into autobattlers generically speaking, if that broadens the recommendation horizon at all?

In the meantime, Replay the Spire A20 drafts will hopefully keep me sane.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Shandalar is a really old MTG game that I had fun with for a while. It's abandonware at this point so free if you can put up with the jank.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Check out Into the Breach, it's not a card game but definitely scratches the same strategy itch. And while we're on the subject, play FTL if you haven't already.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Android thread has had a lot of fun with Slice & Dice. It's on itch.io too.

It distracted me from Slay the Spire for a while and was very fun, just not 400+ hours fun.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I'm gonna second Into The Breach. Same fundamentals - short strategy game where as you play you get to accumulate new tools for your arsenal by selecting them from a random subset and hopefully run into situations where they will be useful, where you have to carefully think about what to use on your turn, and where you unlock new stuff by playing that you can use on future runs.

And its just very very good.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Anybody have any tips on ascension 17-20 Defect? I've been playing Silent for so long, and then watcher and Ironclad that I got defect up to 16, then forgot how to play it entirely. Mostly how to navigate act 1 to survive into having 6 frost orbs and 8 focus in act 3

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
IC turn 0 relic swap to Pandora's.

No block in my deck, not one card. Path through every hallway fight I can find looking for block. Nothing. Still made it to act 2 though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Wouldnt you want to path through shops at that point to maximize your chance of block and possibly get more than one?

Edit: Also share the seed that sounds fun

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

While I love these kind of games I really hate that ascension grinding has become the standard approach to increasing difficulty because it sucks and they should really start doing it Hades-style instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

A Moose posted:

Anybody have any tips on ascension 17-20 Defect? I've been playing Silent for so long, and then watcher and Ironclad that I got defect up to 16, then forgot how to play it entirely. Mostly how to navigate act 1 to survive into having 6 frost orbs and 8 focus in act 3

Im in the same boat. Most of my wins with Defect up to A19 have involved some combination of meteor strike(s) and either snecko or some sort of energy generation. Which isn't something you can rely on getting everytime.

Even if I get good focus and frost orbs I still struggle with defect in A2.