Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Today's daily gets real silly. Kinda boggles my mind that Mind Blast doesn't exhaust, but sure I'll take 3 of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I lied to myself and said I'd stop at A15.

Probably would have gotten 2500 if I wasn't falling asleep in the middle.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

Today's daily gets real silly. Kinda boggles my mind that Mind Blast doesn't exhaust, but sure I'll take 3 of them.

Uh yeah, got bag of marbles and mind blast in the first act. I think I'm gonna win this one

e: yeah that was my fastest run ever

netcat fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 21, 2018

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
New Masterful Stab is pretty great*

*as a playable card when you have dead branch

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
As far as actually drafting the card I’m pretty sure it’s less playable than it used to be lol

It wasn’t a horrible card, meanwhile Grand Finale is insanely niche. Not sure why they felt the need to change it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's kind of absurd how few ways Defect has to gain orb slots, now. Capacitor and two relics, that's it.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Not sure, effectively its a random buff to Dead Branch, also known as The Best Relic In The Game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pigbuster posted:

It's kind of absurd how few ways Defect has to gain orb slots, now. Capacitor and two relics, that's it.
They even changed Fusion? Fusion was a good balance of completely unexciting and sometimes absolutely vital IMO.

edit: yes, I meant Fission, Fusion is a card I try to never take so I misspoke :shobon:

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 22, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They even changed Fusion? Fusion was a good balance of completely unexciting and sometimes absolutely vital IMO.

You're thinking of Fission. Fusion gives you 1(2) plasma.

They changed Fission so that instead of giving you 1 slot/evoked orb, it just straight-up eats your orbs and gives you 1 card/energy per orb eaten.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Some cool new changes. Won a defect run on the back of bullseye, which is excellent in lightning decks. Next run I won the double gremlin nob fight with 3hp remaining and finished it out with an absolute slugfest against time eater where he got to 14 str before I killed him. Nice to see so many cool new surprises so frequently. For most games I like to wait until everything is released before playing, but I'm really glad I've followed this one in development.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Removing ways to gain orbs seems asinine to me, especially on a relatively bleh card like Fission rather than Runic Capacitor/Capacitor. Here's my Defect hot-take: Focus is the problem and not orb-slots. They both scale your orbs in similar ways, but more orb-slots is flavorful and varied while keeping pressure on the player to maintain and balance orb-generation in their deck, while more Focus is just 'numbers up' and doesn't add anything to the gameplay experience. I genuinely believe they will be entirely unable to make Defect decently balanced and fun to play until they decide to cut either orb-gain or Focus-gain from the game entirely (and it should be the latter). Then they can improve orb-related cards while only having to worry about them scaling in one direction.

They'll never do it because Focus is flavorful and now Defect doesn't have its own stat like Ironclad/Defect. Who have their own huge problems with their respective stats but that's a whole nother thing.

I'm happy to concede the argument of 'the game is meant to be fun not balanced, neeeerd' but will rebut with asking how removing ways to gain slots from Defect is supposed to be fun in any way.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Seems more like a buff to Fission rather than a nerf to orb generation. Outside of dailies I play Defect exclusively and even when I have Fission in my deck, I rarely use it because you end up with nothing but a ton of empty orb slots and no way to refill them that hand. Seems like this change makes it a bit more playable but probably still not great. Fission imo has always been the poorest option for more slots and I'll only take it when I'm running Consume and haven't pulled any other slot generators yet. Also, considering the cap of 10 slots, I think Runic Capacitor, Inserter, and Capacitors are enough.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I generally agree. It's flavorful but I kinda hated getting extra slots. Unless you're late into the orb spam you can't cycle to evoke as easy. It generally means orbs can sit and do work longer, but I almost never want to leave orbs in slots unless it's dark at which point I just want focus and the rechanneling card anyway.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm the idiot who buys bag of prep at the shop on this run.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Is there some way to skip time eater's heal, or did they change that behavior? I got him below half and he just kept attacking until he died.

Also I'm so bad at ironclad, 1-12 just to clear A15 again...

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I'm super bad at this game, but is there some way to remove cards that I'm missing? I'd be lucky to get rid of 5-6 in a game and that's due to random ? rooms and always removing at shops. Also how the hell do I build an exhaust deck with ironclad, I can't seem to get enough of the key cards before Act 1 boss who ends up slaying me if I try to go for that type of deck.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

mik posted:

I'm super bad at this game, but is there some way to remove cards that I'm missing? I'd be lucky to get rid of 5-6 in a game and that's due to random ? rooms and always removing at shops. Also how the hell do I build an exhaust deck with ironclad, I can't seem to get enough of the key cards before Act 1 boss who ends up slaying me if I try to go for that type of deck.
If you're playing Standard mode, that's a pretty average number of removals to get.

However, there's a relic (Peace Pipe?) that lets you remove a card at every rest site -- rather than smithing or resting. That's usually what happened when you see people with 5-card decks and stuff.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Huh, TIL they changed Lock-On in the latest patch. It's now a stackable status ailment that makes the target take 50% more damage from orbs, rather than focusing lightning and dark onto a specific target.

Kind of weird to see it flip intended functionality from a tool for multi-enemy fights to an insanely good ST option, but I guess it fits into more decks now instead of being a super niche pick that interacted poorly with Electrodynamics.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm sure the poor interaction with Electrodynamics (which is pretty much a pick-on-sight card) is why it was changed; now it actually synergizes with it instead of becoming a Strike.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I call this deck "Blow Me":

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Toshimo posted:

I'm the idiot who buys bag of prep at the shop on this run.

I see the birdcage, but how did you get the deck this small?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I see the birdcage, but how did you get the deck this small?

Floor 3 - Merchant
Floor 4 - Bonfire Elementals
Floor 5 - Golden WIng
Floor 17 - Empty Cage
Floor 20 - Merchant
Floor 30 - Merchant
Floor 36 - Merchant
Floor 45 - Merchant

That's 9 removals and I added 4 cards and started with 10. 10+4-9 = 5.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

dyzzy posted:

Is there some way to skip time eater's heal, or did they change that behavior? I got him below half and he just kept attacking until he died.

I noticed that too just now. Can't find any relevant changes in recent patch notes so I guess it might be a bug.

mik posted:

Also how the hell do I build an exhaust deck with ironclad, I can't seem to get enough of the key cards before Act 1 boss who ends up slaying me if I try to go for that type of deck.

I think this is the kind of thing where you don't necessarily aim for it right off the bat, but if the right cards show up over the course of a run you can pivot towards it at one point. It's not likely to happen by the end of Act 1, though. True Grit is always a good pickup (upgrade it though), and that can be the first step. If you get that it makes Feel No Pain or Dark Embrace a lot more attractive (although they are okay even without any card synergies, primarily for any fight that puts Dazed in your deck).

There's stuff like Fiend Fire or Sever Soul which can help finish fights quicker, but I'm not sure if actually building around them is worthwhile.

Corruption + Dead Branch is probably the holy grail combo of exhaust decks. Corruption just on its own is usually good enough to pick up even if you get nothing else to synergize with it.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Exhaust is not exactly deck archetype by itself but strong addition to some decks IMO. Like Power Through/Second Wind/Feel No Pain is crazy block for Barricade/Body Slam deck. Any Wound generation cards and Evolve+ will give you full hand for finishing big bads with Fiend Fire with a bit of strength. Dead Branch can kinda turn exhaust into an archetype by itself and it's extremely fun even without Corruption but not exactly reliable. For that you need energy generation most of all and synergy for exhausting everything you can.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Fiend Fire is just a really nice card for dumping out a mountain of damage and ending hallway fights early, if nothing else. It's a really good card and it plays very nicely with strength, exhaust, and draw, so it has value in several different directions. It doesn't actually call for any exhaust synergy to have considerable value. And it really bears repeating that True Grit is just an extremely good common block by itself, because burning a Strike or Defend that you didn't plan on using is inherently valuable even if you didn't gain anything else from it.

The more Ironclad I play the less I care about "exhaust synergies," since the most reliable wincon usually seems to be spooling up strength and throwing out big blocks until you're ready to just obliterate the enemy, and exhausting your deck is just really good at enabling that on its own.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 26, 2018

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

this was a fun mess

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 27, 2018

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

RyokoTK posted:

The more Ironclad I play the less I care about "exhaust synergies," since the most reliable wincon usually seems to be spooling up strength and throwing out big blocks until you're ready to just obliterate the enemy, and exhausting your deck is just really good at enabling that on its own.

Playing a Limit Break or Entrench+Body slam every turn is totes busted. Exhaust cards let you do that without requiring a 5 card deck. That a lot of them are playable even without a super strong payoff is icing.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Hey I'm an arbitrary fuckwit who doesn't like to play Early Access games until they're released, even though I bought this game during the Steam Sale. I know that the game is widely regarded as being fully functional and ready-to-play now, but as I said, arbitrary fuckwit. Has there been any recent news regarding release date? I thought it was summer 2018 which is over soon.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

This was the most fun Defect run I've had in a while. Kind of an unfocused, ramshackle deck. It had a bit of everything except block (I Pandora Box'ed all my Defends, but toward the end picked up Equilibrium and Good Instincts), which I compensated for with two Buffers. Bought Apotheosis in an Act 1 shop and then immediately bottled it and that basically defined the run. It's so easy for Defect to go heavy on the orbs that it was nice to do something else for a change.

Shamefully I admit to save-scumming Awakened One because I was gonna die to a hit of exactly the amount of HP+block that I had, which would've been annoying, and also the run was so fun that it deserved a loving win. It also felt winnable. I never redo fights unless it's a) the final boss and b) I know I could've won and can identify the error made. If I just straight-up lose then whatever, I'm happy to take the loss. But if I know I could've won were it not for one mistake it's just frustrating. In this case I played a single Buffer in the first phase thinking it's worth it, and it was not.

I wish I didn't feel like I have to justify that to myself or anyone else. :(

Anyway I'm now on A15 on all three characters. Pretty pleased with that.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

frest posted:

Hey I'm an arbitrary fuckwit who doesn't like to play Early Access games until they're released, even though I bought this game during the Steam Sale. I know that the game is widely regarded as being fully functional and ready-to-play now, but as I said, arbitrary fuckwit. Has there been any recent news regarding release date? I thought it was summer 2018 which is over soon.

While the roadmap towards release on the Seam discussion board for the game hasn't been updated since 1/26, you'll find most of the stuff on there has either been completed or made large strides. The big one (adding a third character), has already been live for awhile. The other big one that stands out beyond the other "more cards, more relics, more fights" type stuff they've been continuously adding all along is the true ending + secrets one. So realistically that's the only thing you're missing, but it's also the thing that is logically going to be last on the list for them.

I don't think there has been any official update on when they plan to call the game "released". You'd probably get more value of playing it in its current state than waiting for the final release if you value things that change the way you think about the characters and playstyles, as the updates are steady and when new cards and relics get added or changed your old tactics can change wildly. Once it goes to "released" I'm sure they'll be supporting it still but I doubt it will be to the same steady rate as while they're building out the extra stuff like they are now.

[EDIT] Which is a bunch of words to say that I doubt even the devs know when they'll flip the switch from "Early Access" to "Full Release" because they've been making a full release quality product the whole time and it's done when it's done.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Zaodai posted:

While the roadmap towards release on the Seam discussion board for the game hasn't been updated since 1/26, you'll find most of the stuff on there has either been completed or made large strides. The big one (adding a third character), has already been live for awhile. The other big one that stands out beyond the other "more cards, more relics, more fights" type stuff they've been continuously adding all along is the true ending + secrets one. So realistically that's the only thing you're missing, but it's also the thing that is logically going to be last on the list for them.

I don't think there has been any official update on when they plan to call the game "released". You'd probably get more value of playing it in its current state than waiting for the final release if you value things that change the way you think about the characters and playstyles, as the updates are steady and when new cards and relics get added or changed your old tactics can change wildly. Once it goes to "released" I'm sure they'll be supporting it still but I doubt it will be to the same steady rate as while they're building out the extra stuff like they are now.

[EDIT] Which is a bunch of words to say that I doubt even the devs know when they'll flip the switch from "Early Access" to "Full Release" because they've been making a full release quality product the whole time and it's done when it's done.

Thanks for the insight!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Let me put it this way: if they got rid of the title screen that said it was in early access, you would have no way to tell.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can’t imagine missing out on playing this game, that I already own, to die on the “early access sucks” hill.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

sellouts posted:

I can’t imagine missing out on playing this game, that I already own, to die on the “early access sucks” hill.

it's more triage, i'm dumb and have bad impulse control, leading to a large backlog of games to play. I like card-based stuff and I know this game will be a good time, so I'm trying to save it as a reward for finishing other games that I also impulse bought. I did this recently with Subnautica for example, and was able to really enjoy a complete game while also driving myself to finish other stuff.

I figured "leaving early access" was a good arbitrary milestone for this reason, but not if (as it casually appears) the game is never going to leave Early Access due to feature creep and roadmap delays.

That being said, early access does suck.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The only 2 early-access games I've spent money on are Rimworld and Slay the Spire so early access is CLEARLY the best thing ever, I don't know what you're talking about?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

A Moose posted:

The only 2 early-access games I've spent money on are Rimworld and Slay the Spire so early access is CLEARLY the best thing ever, I don't know what you're talking about?

I bought Spacebase DF-9 and Clockwork Empires

frest posted:

i'm dumb

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Time Keeper certainly hits Shiv decks pretty hard. I should probably stick to poison.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

frest posted:

it's more triage, i'm dumb and have bad impulse control, leading to a large backlog of games to play. I like card-based stuff and I know this game will be a good time, so I'm trying to save it as a reward for finishing other games that I also impulse bought. I did this recently with Subnautica for example, and was able to really enjoy a complete game while also driving myself to finish other stuff.

I figured "leaving early access" was a good arbitrary milestone for this reason, but not if (as it casually appears) the game is never going to leave Early Access due to feature creep and roadmap delays.

That being said, early access does suck.

the thing is, Zaodia is right:

Zaodia posted:

You'd probably get more value of playing it in its current state than waiting for the final release if you value things that change the way you think about the characters and playstyles, as the updates are steady and when new cards and relics get added or changed your old tactics can change wildly. Once it goes to "released" I'm sure they'll be supporting it still but I doubt it will be to the same steady rate as while they're building out the extra stuff like they are now.

I can see why you would rather hold out on EA games, even ones that are already fully featured, but if you like this game you will have even more fun following along and playing/readjusting to the new content/rebalances/reworks they do. Hell, the devs actually listen to the community so your feedback can be meaningful, even.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The devs do have a list of features they want in the game before leaving early access and they do seem to be working towards them. I think the only one that's really needed is some kind of additional ending where you actually "slay" the "spire", as it were (not that this would stop you playing or anything).

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
This is more like a digital card game where balance tweaks are expected to happen anyway.

The only thing I'm waiting for is Ascension mode. I feel like it'll take away from my accomplishment if I get to level 20 and the game is suddenly made easier or harder in a patch. Just playing one daily a day and maybe a normal run lets me not get burnt out on the game by smashing my head against the difficulty curve of Ascension.