Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Use the Snipping Tool, friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Cloak and dagger is deceptively good, it is similar to iron wave. You get your 6 block, then 1 or 2 shivs (4-8 dmg). This synergizes with any of the many "bonus on playing card/attack" cards or "play 3 attacks" relics. There is a relic that adds 3 dmg to your 0-cost cards, and the boot will make shivs do 5 dmg when not blocked. If you have an envenom (+1 poison on unblocked dmg) shivs can stack up poison pretty fast.

Another tip for silent is that if you're playing with poison rolling off an earlier-than-seems-right catalyst can make a lot of fights a ton easier. Shaving a turn off instead of trying to 1-shot enemies is much better.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Always ask yourself "what does my deck need right now?". Usually that's good blocks, card draw, or a closing strategy. Think about your energy/card curve. You end most turns at 0 energy and leftover cards, so 0 cost cards are great, but only at about 20% of your total deck size.

Never pass up a Blur, even if you've got loving five of them.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Blur is... average? It's not so bad you avoid it but in lots of decks it just ends up being a SLIGHTLY better defend.

It can matter for some strategies though don't get me wrong, especially if you get more than one to keep the buff on you.

Still though, it's kind of odd to evaluate but for my money I'd say it's situational at best.

But I mean, hey, the difficulty of silent is usually finding enough offense to push through, or a good enough finisher to not get hosed on bosses - not defense (footwork and weakening cards make it pretty easy to build up trivial amounts of block for many encounters, plus stuff like deflect and escape plan)

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Yeah blur seems extremely good, get 2 or 3 in a deck and you basically turn into a barricade ironclad without bodyslam.

I have no idea how managed to beat ascension 7 time eater, 2 strength pots and a ghost in a jar helped though.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Blur is alright but I’m not crazy about taking a lot of them. If you’re able to continuously overproduce block like that then, ironically, you don’t actually need it. Unlike Ironclad you don’t actually gain anything from it.

To me it benefits decently from Well Laid Plans. Bench it for a turn where you have leftover energy (because the enemy is buffing but you don’t have that many attacks).

I’m a lot warmer toward Dodge and Roll, which accomplished a similar task but generates more block and benefits doubly from Footwork.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

It's been mentioned, but any kind of intangible you can lay your hands on is amazing for silent. Just be very careful with Wraith form, as it's very ride or die.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Bought this for a long layover yesterday and it's really great. One thing I'm not quite clear on after two runs is how I'm supposed to be using potions. I was saving them for bosses / elite encounters, but can I reasonably expect to get a potion every third fight or so? I ended up tossing a bunch and I'd certainly rather be actually using them.

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
Use em any encounter where they'll save you life or something.

Saving certain ones for bosses once you know the bosses better is fine too. Dex potions are good for bosses.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

OzFactor posted:

Bought this for a long layover yesterday and it's really great. One thing I'm not quite clear on after two runs is how I'm supposed to be using potions. I was saving them for bosses / elite encounters, but can I reasonably expect to get a potion every third fight or so? I ended up tossing a bunch and I'd certainly rather be actually using them.

Generally I try to use pots that come down to hitpoints when they'd save me 10+, and deck strength potions when I think I'm in danger of losing (or taking a lot of damage). So like, explosive pot to finish off an enemy that'll hit you for 18, or a power pot on champ if my scaling is poor. Saving special ones for known scenarios is fine, like a bronze scales pot for byrds or guardian

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, save some for elites/bosses, especially ones like full-battle strength, dex, plated armor, etc. (Edit: Also, ghost in a bottle. Etherial is really loving good, don't underestimate it like I did just because it's one use). Others, like Steroid potions or basic damage are best used whenever the opportunity presents itself. And remember that if you get a fourth potion from a battle reward, you cannot drink one before you have to decide what to get rid of.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, save some for elites/bosses, especially ones like full-battle strength, dex, plated armor, etc. (Edit: Also, ghost in a bottle. Etherial is really loving good, don't underestimate it like I did just because it's one use). Others, like Steroid potions or basic damage are best used whenever the opportunity presents itself. And remember that if you get a fourth potion from a battle reward, you cannot drink one before you have to decide what to get rid of.

You can drink if it's the healing potion though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Or if it raises max HP.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As a general rule you want to avoid damage as much as possible, less so on floor 1 maybe.

So basically when I'm in a situation to use a pot, I try to translate it to hp. If popping an armor option means I can avoid 12 damage then I probably will. Obviously saving them for elites and bosses is way better than using it for corridor fights in general, but if using a pot means you're going to come out of a fight 10+ hp stronger, I think it's a worthy use.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Random beta branch changes today.

No more double orb walkers, reptomancer is the elite.
Two more neow options for colorless cards.
Colorless cards are cheaper in shop.
A16 has a smaller price increase.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Those are interesting. Reptomancer as an elite makes sense to me and I like the colorless cards option for Neow.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Carados posted:

Random beta branch changes today.

No more double orb walkers, reptomancer is the elite.
Two more neow options for colorless cards.
Colorless cards are cheaper in shop.
A16 has a smaller price increase.
I love all of those changes.

The double orb walkers was my most-hated elite fight. Even more than Book of Stabbing. Well, okay, Gremlin Nob sucks. And Nemesis. In fact, gently caress all elites forever.

Depending on the build, Reptomancer can be a brick wall (or hilariously easy, if you have good AOE attacks). Probably better that it's an Elite now.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Yeah, Reptomancer, at least on A18+, is too often a run-ender, whether directly or indirectly (due to amount of damage taken; I've often survived it just to die on the next floor). Even a deck that ostensibly is prepared can just get creamed on turn two if the draw isn't favorable. That's fine since this is a roguelike card game and RNG plays a big role, but making it an elite is just better since it usually gives you the choice to risk it or not. Sometimes you won't have the choice to dodge elites and die; sometimes you'll take the risk and die; sometimes you'll take the risk and live. That's a good balance I think. As a check for frontloaded AoE damage it was too harsh as a hallway fight.

I do wish the Double Orb Walkers weren't removed entirely but instead relegated to a normal encounter, but that's cause in general I'd like to have more combat encounters rather than fewer. And Act 3 hallways could maybe use a slight buff.

edit: Also apparently now you get a Neow bonus even if you didn't reach the first boss on your last run, but just fewer to choose from. That's a really good change as well.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 17, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
^ Double Orb Walkers is far too tough for a hallway fight, but I definitely don't miss it as an elite. It's just kind of a lame damage race where you kill one of them in a few turns or die. Basically an accelerated Donu & Deca.

Act 3 definitely needs more hallway fights though. There's such a great variety in Act 2 especially and then Act 3 is just Shapes/Darklings over and over. Transient, Spire Growth and Maw are all relatively uncommon fights. Reptomancer is a really great fight and buffing it into an elite is very sensible though. It's unfortunate that they didn't even bother to try balancing the Snecko/Mystic fight, they just threw it out.

If you die in Act 1, Neow still gives you the first two blessing options on your next run, you just don't get the risk/reward or relic swap choice anymore. Now that's huge.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 17, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Replace the double Nob arena fight with the double Orb Walkers.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
In the beta at least, Neow now offers two low-tier options if you don't make it to the first boss. One of mine was the first three enemies have 1 HP, which I don't always pick with four options, but it really takes away some of the grind of the early game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It seems like the choices are always Lament or Max HP. Which I think is a fine consolation between the full choice and nothing at all. Neither of those are typically that impactful (I did get the two elite dream with Lament... once) but they’re certainly okay.

I really hope they find a way to make act 3 hallways interesting.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

:rolldice::rolldice: Aw, HECK! You've been CONFUSED by the snecko of BAD NUMBERS! All of your cards will cost 3 unless you reply "GO TO HECKO MR SNECKO" within the next 0-3 seconds :rolldice::rolldice:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I will say that I do really like Snecko as an enemy and I think Snecko Eye is a fun and exciting relic to use, but there isn’t really a way to build a deck that doesn’t eat poo poo against Snecko if you roll 2s and 3s multiple turns in a row, and that kinda sucks.

go to hecko mr snecko

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

first win with each class, for posterity and so i can look back later and laugh at my choices

apparitions may or may not have been directly responsible for 2 of those. they are kind of broken right?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah the Apparition event is almost degenerate in how good it is.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Apparition is unpassable nowadays I think unless you have like Snecko Eye maybe.

I miss double Orb Walkers, it was one of the more engaging fights compared to Nemesis where you just play the relevant cards for what he's doing.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the other thing i noticed is all 3 decks seem to have too many cards. i try to remove strikes at shops when possible and i have seen at least one ? event that removes cards. are there other removal opportunities that i am missing?

e: the birdcage too.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 18, 2018

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

Due to the nature of the game vs something like Dominions or such, having a small deck isn't really as good as it would be in those games. There are decks that want to be small (combo decks, decks around recurring a single card over and over), but it seems the average size for a winning deck is like we 30 cards. Some relics and events change that of course.

In general take whatever makes your deck stronger vs the fights that can lose you the run.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well I ran into another new thing in the latest beta patch, a new normal enemy in act 3 that's more dangerous than any of the elites, it felt like at least. Writhing mass, it has 240 health after the ascension health boost, has the armor when hit thing of those act 2 plants, and a new effect called compulsive that makes it change its intent anytime it takes damage, and a lot of those intents are extremely high damage, including one that just flat out gives you a parasite curse.

It seems like a cool enemy, but somewhat over tuned.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 18, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Unfortunately I didn't see the Writhing Mass in the run I just did. :( I love the idea of an act 3 enemy that loving curses you, I think that's actually a good idea and a good place for that to happen.

I also didn't run into Reptomancer; I fought it a couple times earlier today (before this most recent patch) and found that, despite the buffs, it was distinctly less threatening than Double Orb Walkers. But I don't play on A20, and it seems like the double-summon is a rather significant buff to its behavior.

Double Orb Walker being in the Mysterious Sphere event is very appropriate, that event was purely objectively superior to an elite fight (it was easier and a guaranteed rare, *and* you could opt out) so it makes sense that it should be a more threatening fight than what it was (used to be one Orb Walker and two random Shapes).

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
The starting decks are not fun, wish there were more variety of starting cards. The beginning is a bit boring. I’m only playing daily challenge nowadays.
Wish they’d improve on that

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ZZZorcerer posted:

The starting decks are not fun, wish there were more variety of starting cards. The beginning is a bit boring. I’m only playing daily challenge nowadays.
They did. Custom -> Sealed Deck is the new hotness.

It's much easier though, so I don't recommend playing it below Ascension 10 (and really, 15+ for a real challenge).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ZZZorcerer posted:

The first fight is always boring because of the starting hand but the very first card pick is such an important choice that I think it makes up for it.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 18, 2018

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Today's daily? Standard Ironclad deck, plus 15 copies of Barricade.

I felt good about just making it to the Act 1 boss.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Today's daily was sick, very hard at the beginning but as all Hoarder dailies finish I found two lots of Mind Blast at the very start of A3 (colourless event then first shop) and stomped everything.

e: rank 158, could be worse.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

WhiteHowler posted:

Today's daily? Standard Ironclad deck, plus 15 copies of Barricade.

I felt good about just making it to the Act 1 boss.

i thought about trying and just decided that it wouldn't be fun avoiding 2/3 of my cards

Kurash
May 12, 2008

I'm having a really hard time breaking through to Ascension 15 with the Silent. I'm being really OCD about my progression, and I don't want to switch to Ironclad or Defect since they're both at 15 already and I want to keep them even. It feels like even at this point I would have lucked into a killer deck just by chance, but even lists that look really solid typically fall over at the A2 boss, best case scenario.

Is the secret really just picking a card every reward screen? I like my decks to be a little elegant, at least.

edit: got mixed up, currently at 15 trying to get to 16

Kurash fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 18, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Finally got a fight against the Writhing Mass. It's a great fight! They lowered the HP down to around 175, which is good because of the Malleable effect. I managed to duck the curse but it's a really fun gauge of determining when you want to attack it and when you don't want to risk getting cursed or 11x3'd or something. More fights like that and fewer fights like Spire Growth which just punches you every turn for a lot of damage and has no other interaction.

Also even with the buffs, Reptomancer is too easy for an elite. She only has ~200 HP and no longer heals so the breakpoint at which you can focus her down and ignore the adds is pretty attainable in the first 3 or so turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

awesmoe posted:

i thought about trying and just decided that it wouldn't be fun avoiding 2/3 of my cards

yeah, this is right about where I said gently caress it and abandoned