Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

christmas chat: Gremlin Egg Nob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I beat the Heart!! As Ironclad. Only on ascension level 3 but w/e. Had a great deck with two Offerings, Barricade+that relic that gives you 3 block every time you take an HP hit, Bronze Scales relic. Pretty much a perfect heart-killing setup. And crushed all the elites on floor 3(fought three of them). My attacks were Whirlwind(worked great with Offering), Uppercut, Carnage, that sort of stuff. Had gotten rid of all my normal strikes by the end of it. I accumulated so many relics it went to a page 2! Hah.

These ascension levels are scaring me though. I bet there will be one like "fewer rest sites" plus other squares and "Elites no longer drop relics" and other stuff like that.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just finished rebeating the game and got my first get to fourth act + Heart win! Even at Ascension 0, this guy seemed tough. So happy I went with a poison-block Silent build...

Artelier fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 3, 2018

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Kawalimus posted:

I beat the Heart!! As Ironclad. Only on ascension level 3 but w/e. Had a great deck with two Offerings, Barricade+that relic that gives you 3 block every time you take an HP hit, Bronze Scales relic. Pretty much a perfect heart-killing setup. And crushed all the elites on floor 3(fought three of them). My attacks were Whirlwind(worked great with Offering), Uppercut, Carnage, that sort of stuff. Had gotten rid of all my normal strikes by the end of it. I accumulated so many relics it went to a page 2! Hah.

These ascension levels are scaring me though. I bet there will be one like "fewer rest sites" plus other squares and "Elites no longer drop relics" and other stuff like that.

Basically every individual ascension step is minor, it is only as a total they start getting really rough

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The Mash posted:

Basically every individual ascension step is minor, it is only as a total they start getting really rough

It's really funny, because you don't really notice it as you're working up - but you really feel how much easier it is when you drop down. I'm doing ascension 0 again to do act 4 with every class and man, it's like a stroll in a field of flowers compared to A17. I can only imagine what it's like for someone who can consistently win A20.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Is there anything that marks or shows which characters you've cleared the game with since the Heart became a thing? I tend to get distracted easily by other games and cannot for the life of me remember which characters I've done already.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kaethela posted:

Is there anything that marks or shows which characters you've cleared the game with since the Heart became a thing? I tend to get distracted easily by other games and cannot for the life of me remember which characters I've done already.

There are cheevos for each class.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Toshimo posted:

There are cheevos for each class.

That sadly does not help keep track of the characters I cleared the game with before the Heart became a thing. Unless I'm mistaken, I have to do all three again regardless of whether I've done it before, and I was hoping there'd be an easy in-game way of keeping track.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Kaethela posted:

That sadly does not help keep track of the characters I cleared the game with before the Heart became a thing. Unless I'm mistaken, I have to do all three again regardless of whether I've done it before, and I was hoping there'd be an easy in-game way of keeping track.

Statistics -> Run History, filter to only show wins and then by each character in turn, and look for floor 51?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Allyn posted:

Statistics -> Run History, filter to only show wins and then by each character in turn, and look for floor 51?

Hadn't realized Run History was even a thing, this will do nicely. Thank you!

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
Just got my first Heart kill with ironclad (Done it with Silent already). Had 1HP on the final turn with Combust ticking. A bit intense. Defect next!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Just got my first Heart kill with ironclad (Done it with Silent already). Had 1HP on the final turn with Combust ticking. A bit intense. Defect next!

I just got my first (and only) kill with the Defect last night.

Was kind of a fun deck.... but real slooooooow. Only had three energy... but 5 upgraded defrags, 2 glaciers, a couple of other frost generators with a single blizzard and a couple of self repairs. Also had a single darkness which helped out a lot with high HP enemies, but was hard to control as I was always cycling a lot of frost. The boss relic that adds an orb slot every couple of turns + cracked core was MVP. Third act was a breeze, as long as I could survive until turn 3 or so, nothing could hit me and I just had to wait for blizzard to get big enough. I almost died to the heart as I was almost completely relying on frost for block (outside of glaciers) so couldn't protect against the damage per card played.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 7, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

WizWoz posted:

Lagavulin chat: Islay the Spire

Thank you

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’ve been stuck at ascension 6 for like 4 weeks now. Can’t figure out what’s holding me back.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
What tends to kill you?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

most recent example: I cant get damage up on Silent, so I get wrecked by the first elite I have to face, spend the rest of my rests healing, then get to slime boss and cant get damage up before my deck is slimed to hell and back and I'm facing 18+12+12 damage a turn.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

sellouts posted:

most recent example: I cant get damage up on Silent, so I get wrecked by the first elite I have to face, spend the rest of my rests healing, then get to slime boss and cant get damage up before my deck is slimed to hell and back and I'm facing 18+12+12 damage a turn.

I'm by no means a top tier player, but having just beat A11 on Silent, I do notice a few basic strats that help out. My most reliable wins come from drafting mostly a bunch of block, poison, and powers. I can't get enough of caltrops, footwork and noxious fumes specifically. I hit awakened one on my A11 win and still managed to win by turtling and dropping poison in his first phase, then going all out on powers once he woke up.

On the first floor though, I take pretty much any halfway good attack over nothing, because having a little extra punch in elite or exceptionally tough hallway fights is so important. Like, dagger spray might not seem like anything special until you run into 5 slimes.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

sellouts posted:

Pick up a real damage card early, even if it isn't great. Nob is always gonna do damage to you on silent, but you need a way to kill nob + lav before you die/get to 0 damage strikes. Dagger Throw / Poison Stab / Deadly Poison are all 9+ damage for 1 energy/card. Dash is just fantastic in general. Deadly+ in particular is also fantastic for the A1 boss, but any of those will do nicely.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Also don't skip on buying potions at shops, I used to mostly ignore them but picking up a attack/damage/power potion can make early elites much more doable.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

So the spoon is actually bad for exhaust decks huh

Took 60 damage with 59 health/armor after it procced so i didn't get my 3 block and card draw. Heart only had 100 hp left too

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Nihilarian posted:

So the spoon is actually bad for exhaust decks huh

Took 60 damage with 59 health/armor after it procced so i didn't get my 3 block and card draw. Heart only had 100 hp left too

That sort of depends. Yes, you lose out on the exhaust effects so if you're relying on Feel No Pain/etc to generate block, those cards only become half as effective on average. On the other hand, if you have high-value cards that you would be happy to not exhaust and play more than once, it can be pretty great. Some examples of cards I would usually be happy to play over and over again: Apparition, Offering(+), Warcry+, Disarm, Exhume, Feed, Impervious, Limit Break, Reaper. There are definitely scenarios where based on the current state of your deck, though, you want to pass on the spoon.

ScouSin
Jul 7, 2013
Yeah buying potions is tempting to avoid since you want to spend gold on permanent stuff, but there are some amazing potions out there which you can bring to elite or boss fights. It really depends on your build at the time you use it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/646570/announcements/detail/2796070940829591158

Official launch date is January 23.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
launch? a curious concept

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

All of those people who were like "I really want to play this but I never buy early access games no matter how complete they are" will finally get to play. So they've got that going for them.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Zaodai posted:

All of those people who were like "I really want to play this but I never buy early access games no matter how complete they are" will finally get to play. So they've got that going for them.

It'd be nice if completed games would launch when they are completed instead of dragging their feet in early access.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Duck and Cover posted:

It'd be nice if completed games would launch when they are completed instead of dragging their feet in early access.

Imo the addition of Act 4 was really the content push the game needed to be fully ready to leave early access. Two additional months for some spit shine polish seems like the perfect timeline. I think they did this one right even though the game *could* have had a full release in, say, February and been fine. But it's nice that megacrit have high standards for themselves and wanted to push out all major content before "release."

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Duck and Cover posted:

Act 4 was the last major piece of content the game was missing and they've been finishing up the low-quality assets that came earlier in EA and chasing down some lingering bugs. The game has really been fleshed out a lot since I started playing back in February and has a lot more content than it did back then, I don't think they were dragging their feet.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

Imo the addition of Act 4 was really the content push the game needed to be fully ready to leave early access. Two additional months for some spit shine polish seems like the perfect timeline. I think they did this one right even though the game *could* have had a full release in, say, February and been fine. But it's nice that megacrit have high standards for themselves and wanted to push out all major content before "release."

RyokoTK posted:

Act 4 was the last major piece of content the game was missing and they've been finishing up the low-quality assets that came earlier in EA and chasing down some lingering bugs. The game has really been fleshed out a lot since I started playing back in February and has a lot more content than it did back then, I don't think they were dragging their feet.

I wasn't clear; I meant my statement as more of a general comment on early access. Why ever release games when you can charge for betas and have people hand wave things away as being "early access"? Whatever it allows indies to make games so it's fine.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 14, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Weird comment to make in the thread of an early access game that is good, unless you are trying to say that actually the game is bad

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it annoys me to have access, to games

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I wouldn't pay attention to Duck and Cover, his entire "thing" is crying about card games and then trolling threads about them when people get sick of his poo poo and tell him to shut up. He used to have a red text helpfully warning people, I wonder what happened to it...

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Well, you either bitch about devs using EA or you bitch about lack of balance and polish at launch. There are no other options.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Moose posted:

I wouldn't pay attention to Duck and Cover, his entire "thing" is crying about card games and then trolling threads about them when people get sick of his poo poo and tell him to shut up. He used to have a red text helpfully warning people, I wonder what happened to it...

It got erased when he ate a ban, I'm pretty sure.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I have a friend telling me he doesn't want to buy Slay the Spire because he sees Blood Card as basically the same if not better. :psyduck:

In his defense, $15 is a lot for him.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Zaodai posted:

I'm almost this person ... but this game was just too polished and complete.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ragnar34 posted:

I have a friend telling me he doesn't want to buy Slay the Spire because he sees Blood Card as basically the same if not better. :psyduck:

In his defense, $15 is a lot for him.

gift it. christmas is coming.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Game is a great example of early access working as intended.

Glad it exists.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Weird comment to make in the thread of an early access game that is good, unless you are trying to say that actually the game is bad

My issue is Early Access means whatever the gently caress the developers want it to mean. Alpha? Sure thing. Beta? Yep. Polished marketing tool? Yep. Completed game? Yep. It becomes hard to know when a game is actually at a state in which I'd want to play it. Like I'd consider the game experience complete before the Heart patch while others would disagree. Now what matter is that? Not much but early access sure does clutter the top sellers. Is that one a beta? Is that one an alpha? Baaah I don't know and I don't want to do the research to figure out how far along they are. Really it's a me being lazy issue at least as far as indie companies doing it.

A Moose posted:

Trolls do things for reactions, I don't really care how people respond or if they do at all. You can believe this is a lie if you want.

Jedit posted:

It got erased when he ate a ban, I'm pretty sure.

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
None of that is an issue with early access, really. Even with full-priced fully released games, some of them are good, and others are utter poo poo that you should definitely not buy.