Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I play sealed deck custom games a lot because I find it more fun and it annoys me that you can only get bash, zap, etc. through the goblin memory game if you go that route, to my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

cheeseboy58 posted:

Meanwhile i finished a 62 card deck run as Defect :getin:

Defect is my favorite simply for this reason. He and Silent just love to spam cards and can get away with a lot of trash builds.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also the smaller the deck the worse I do. If I don't have a solid 30 card deck by the end of Act 2 then Act 3 is a real struggle.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I only read a few "beginner tips" articles and some of them said to keep a smaller deck because then you're more likely to draw the key cards of your archetype which made sense. But yeah after doing it about half a dozen times I'd notice glaring holes in my build. Despite doing 43 damage perfected strikes every 3ish turns I still couldn't nuke down act 2 bosses. I would literally try to lose Bash as quickly as possible because it didn't fit my gimmick, and skipping on a lot of loot cards. I'll change up my general strategy and try to go wider.

Yeah I know literally nothing about the overall game/story. I beat the act 3 boss on my second run and got a storied event with a heart which I am going to assume is one of the ultimate bosses after I unlock/do something??

Since you've played magic, you're already familiar with a lot of concepts that spire newbie guides will talk about. But you do have some biases from M:TG. You're instincts on using skip in the first run were closer to correct. Ignore bad cards, get the ones that make your deck better. The actual niche of tiny decks is pretty small because of the variety of challenges a spire deck is going to face forces you to add cards to meet those challenges. Also because the starting cards are awful, and enemies will put detrimental cards into your deck. A 8 card deck sounds cool, but what about an 8 card, 12 daze deck?

Understanding which challenges you need to prepare for, and how to prepare comes from experience. Each act has 3 different Elites and 3 different bosses, you can see which boss is at the end of the act on the map. But you can't tell which elite you're going to face first, so your deck has try to prepare for all 3 when you hit your first elite node. And it takes some experience to be able to think through how your deck is going to do against sentries, nob, and lag.

Status debuffs are really powerful in this game, because the amount of damage needed to clear fights scales up so high. +25% is always relevant, and in absolute terms gets even better as your deck and enemies scale up.

Bash seems bad when you're partnering and comparing it to your basic strikes. 2 mana for 8, plus 1 then 3 strikes is 8 + 9*4 = 42. 6*6 from strikes is 36. No room for blocking or bad draws and it's barely better. But that's only bad because strike is awful. Once your damage cards scale up, bash improves them so you can still do sufficient damage while also being able to spend mana on blocking. Whatever kind of good attacks you end up with, bash will still be improving them. Getting another turn from the upgrade is also really good, most damage upgrades at 2 mana are 4-5 damage, and increasing a full turn's worth of attacks is easily more than 5 damage.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Walla posted:

Also the smaller the deck the worse I do. If I don't have a solid 30 card deck by the end of Act 2 then Act 3 is a real struggle.

25-35 is the usual range for my decks at the end of the game. With the least cards added in act 3 because my standards are higher by then.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

metachronos posted:

I play sealed deck custom games a lot because I find it more fun and it annoys me that you can only get bash, zap, etc. through the goblin memory game if you go that route, to my knowledge.

I play sealed deck custom games 95% of the time and I had no idea why I never see bash and zap, thank you!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

jetz0r posted:

25-35 is the usual range for my decks at the end of the game. With the least cards added in act 3 because my standards are higher by then.

Same really. I generally end Act 1 with around 20 cards. On a good run, 1/5 of those will be powers or power-like.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I will be honest: I have 400 hours in this game and I could not tell you what the boss icons are.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I know I'm in the minority, but upgrading bash is a pretty low priority for me. Vulnerable is awesome, but IC specifcally has the best access to vulnerable out of any character and nearly every single one of them is better than bash. If I was forced to choose between upgrading a bash and picking thunderclap then I'd pick thunderclap just because it's more reliable to have two different sources of vulnerable floating around in your deck instead of hoping that you find bash before gremlin nob smushes you.

Ironclad also is very upgrade hungry even with his commons pommel strike, wild strike, even true grit adding a lot more value when upgraded partially because they don't require any order of operations. If bash is last in your deck, it's probably going to be too late even if it's upgraded but wild strike + will probably make a good impact whenever. And that doesn't even start on some of his uncommons that are downright necessary to upgrade like whirlwind and uppercut.

That said, if you're finding it hard to get another source of vulnerable then upgrading bash can still be useful against act 1 elites and hexaghost who is arguably the most difficult act 1 boss.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I still add cards regularly in act 3 because they are upgraded twice as often as they are in act 2. Gimme them green cards.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Small deck for the Common Sense achievement was pretty fun, but yeah most of my decks are considerably bigger. This playthrough was still a blast though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Upgrading and picking a card are very rarely in competition with each other so a Bash upgrade vs a Thunderclap pick isn't really a decision you ever have to make. There are definitely cards that are more valuable upgrades but it's pretty rare that you will actually pick one up before your first campfire.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

Upgrading and picking a card are very rarely in competition with each other so a Bash upgrade vs a Thunderclap pick isn't really a decision you ever have to make. There are definitely cards that are more valuable upgrades but it's pretty rare that you will actually pick one up before your first campfire.

I dunno, I usually prioritize those cards and pommel strike especially is a very common early game card that has is a fantastic upgrade.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if around 30-40% of un/commons are better upgrades in a vacuum.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Thanks everyone for their write ups so I can learn the game better.

Speaking of elites, i know it's risk v reward but am I generally supposed to go out of my way to fight as many of them as possible?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

In general yes. More money, higher likely hood of uncommon and rare cards and relics. Relics won't really matter until you start climbing ascensions and fighting the Heart but they literally can make or break your chances of winning. More elites more better as long as you can survive them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
That "if you can survive them" is important though, on higher ascensions you often can't.

Also, perfected strike in particular is a "big deck" card, where you load up on perfected strikes, twin strikes, pommel strikes and Wild Strikes IN ADDITION TO adding some sort of scaling and block. Ironclad is great at running small decks, but you'd never ever take perfected strike in a small deck build - and favouring small decks, I skip it regularly! It's one of the few attack cards for a standard ironclad run I just say no to.

Of course the ideal Ironclad deck is to load it down with as many cards as possible, including curses, using those cards to create status effects to bog your deck down even more, and then burn the gently caress through it so quickly that by turn 5 you're down to like 5 cards and have triggered your infinite :v:

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

cheeseboy58 posted:

Meanwhile i finished a 62 card deck run as Defect :getin:

I love going fat with Defect, it has literal big deck energy with Aggregate. Plus Stack, Hello World for more Stacks, and Seek to... mitigate.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
This watcher game was hilarious and busted and I'm just sad I didn't go for the heart. Astrolobe gave me ragnarok and omniscience so I leaned in hard. MVP was the second omniscience, and then picking up worship was a beautiful cherry on top. Every fight did become the same, but I finished the time keeper in two turns, and after getting worship every other fight was over on the first turn.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cheeseboy58 posted:

Man Replay The Spire and Reliquary are some great addons after youve done the base game 100s of times. Some absolutely busted deck builds can be had and with more different type of cards for main chars it really freshens things up. You can create some super busted decks if rng allows 🙃

I just tried Replay the Spire for the first time. After three hours/three endless loops the mod seemed to basically give up on beating me and just let me kill the heart. The weird anime-ish superbosses with real time rage modes were entertaining.

I had like five pages of relics. I just gave up on understanding what was actually going on and played to general base principles (make sure I had enough block for incoming damage, just churn through powers and goodstuff). My deck was north of 80 cards near the end. Hilariously enough for a heavy power-based Defect deck I only saw Creative AI twice (and skipped it the first time for the all enemies lightning power I always forget the name of, with the second time being spoils from the Heart) and NEVER saw either bird faced urn or mummified hand. I wonder if the mod removed them? Whatever it’s not like it matters anyway.

Fun times but I’m not going to pretend it’s remotely as well balanced as the base game. Some very cool ideas though.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Ironclad also is very upgrade hungry even with his commons pommel strike, wild strike, even true grit adding a lot more value when upgraded partially because they don't require any order of operations.
I don't think this is true, pommel strike and true grit aren't priority upgrades in act one or early because they don't give you the thing you actually need for act one: an actual increase in damage. For this reason bash is often the best first upgrade, because it's not a given that you can find a better attack to upgrade before the first rest site or elite.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 10, 2021

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

When people say e.g. "I just got an Ascension 15 win", do they usually mean with or without beating Act 4?

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

If someone is climbing the ascension levels, and they don't specify, my guess is they didn't go for act 4. I think they'll usually specify that. If they're at A20, though, I assume they're going for the heart every time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yoshi Wins posted:

If someone is climbing the ascension levels, and they don't specify, my guess is they didn't go for act 4. I think they'll usually specify that. If they're at A20, though, I assume they're going for the heart every time.

It's common to talk about A20 and A20H as if they were separate difficulty levels.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

When do you take a non-upgraded Body Slam in Act 2? I have Horn Cleat, Impervious and Panic Button. :)

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Jedit posted:

It's common to talk about A20 and A20H as if they were separate difficulty levels.

I haven't found that to be the case. Almost every time I see someone talk about A20 they are going for the heart. They're going for maximum difficulty. I see people just going for the act 3 bosses from time to time, but not commonly.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Well I just finished A20 on all characters so I guess it's time to start doing heart kills. My winrate is already like 10%....

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

For those of you who are experienced or good at this game, what would you say your winrate is? I consider myself a pretty bad player but recently had a promising run end due to some bad luck. I find I definitely 'push my luck' too far with smith upgrades and end up getting crunched in one turn by a mob of hard hitters when luck deals me a hand of powers and strikes (my last run).

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Walla posted:

When do you take a non-upgraded Body Slam in Act 2? I have Horn Cleat, Impervious and Panic Button. :)

Sounds like you know the answer.

And if you have a campsite coming up soon, body slam gets even better.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

God drat, that hurts. Hopefully you had two armaments and could afford to get rid of one, then you just have to waste an upgrade on the other to get back up to almost-par.

Nope! I had to give up the armaments and deal with it. I got to the heart through the awakened one and donuts. Heart "beat" me though.

NihilCredo posted:

When people say e.g. "I just got an Ascension 15 win", do they usually mean with or without beating Act 4?

When I was climbing ascensions, I would go for the heart if the path to the elite was good but I didn't go out of my way for the heart until 20.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

No Wave posted:

You had it right the first time! Making big decks is better than in most deckbuilding games (for a variety of reasons - weak starting deck, extreme difficulty of act 2 being the main ones) and 25+ card decks is how very experienced players usually play the game when trying to win.

Zore posted:

Successful decks are also almost never about forcing any kind of 'pure' archetype like you might do if you're building a MTG deck or whatever. You'll pick up a bunch of cards early that won't be good later and sometimes skip cards that are great late game because they're just a curse if you pick them up early in Act 1.

These two were some pretty solid tips. After dying to the Heart several times with "focused" IC Block, IC Searing Blow, Silent Poison, or Defect Power decks, I finally got my first Heart kill with a "just grab a ton of good cards" Silent deck. At Ascension 2, accidentally.

Pretty satisfying considering I didn't even have all the unlocks for that character (and I still don't!), and that I only decided to go for the Heart in Act 3 when I noticed I was flawlessing almost every battle.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

drat Dirty Ape posted:

For those of you who are experienced or good at this game, what would you say your winrate is? I consider myself a pretty bad player but recently had a promising run end due to some bad luck. I find I definitely 'push my luck' too far with smith upgrades and end up getting crunched in one turn by a mob of hard hitters when luck deals me a hand of powers and strikes (my last run).

For ascenscion 0-1, probably over 95% unless I'm deliberately trying to do something funky. On ascenscion 20 with the heart? Maybe 10% for the heart with ironclad and silent, and 30% with the watcher. My impression is that the top players have 50+% winrates with the everyone except watcher, where they can top 95% at ascenscion 20.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

military cervix posted:

For ascenscion 0-1, probably over 95% unless I'm deliberately trying to do something funky. On ascenscion 20 with the heart? Maybe 10% for the heart with ironclad and silent, and 30% with the watcher. My impression is that the top players have 50+% winrates with the everyone except watcher, where they can top 95% at ascenscion 20.

Watcher's not quite at 95% but generally yeah. Winrates in general have been going up patch over patch though as the last 2~ years have almost exclusively buffed the player in various ways.

Back before the 2.0 update winrates for top players were a lot lower, like mid-30's or so consistently. Better boss relics being added to the pool while bad ones were removed, making potions good, all the card buffs etc have really pushed that up a lot.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 10, 2021

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Jedit posted:

The Heart is always a separate difficulty though. I'm still climbing ascensions but I've had numerous runs where I handily destroyed everything, including Spear and Shield, only for the Heart to kill me on turn 5.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Sounds like you know the answer.

And if you have a campsite coming up soon, body slam gets even better.

The run is still on hold from last night, but Body Slam was my first combat in Act 2. Definitely an immediate upgrade and if I can bottle Panic Button and grab Barricade/Calipers it will be nearly flawless. :)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I've been climbing and have only been going for The Heart if I feel my deck could take it (+ Sword and Shield) on. There have been a few decks where halfway through Act 2 I was like "Yeah, I think I'm set" and steer to The Heart. Other times, I'm scraping by and place a lot of value that extra chest, campfire, and easier elite. If I'm unsure I normally just skip The Heart though.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
When I climbed a win didn't count unless I killed the heart and y'all are cowards for doing otherwise. :colbert:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Finally got the heart with IC thanks mostly to picking up an almost flawless set of relics and cards as I went. Really fun run. I appreciate all the tips in here when I asked a few days ago.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

When I climbed a win didn't count unless I killed the heart and y'all are cowards for doing otherwise. :colbert:

But sometimes the path is really heart and I wanna just get my Ascension climb. :cry:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Deckit posted:

But sometimes the path is really heart and I wanna just get my Ascension climb. :cry:

You protest, but something is clearly on your mind.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

I really just wanted to make a pun before anyone else beat me to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

Incredible av post combo.