Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Energy in STS is exactly analogous to clicks in Netrunner. Powers and Relics are your permanents.

well sure, if by running on servers you could permanantly take clicks away from the corp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
I lucked into an early peace pipe and Panache and build a pretty good turn 1 infinite deck with the Silent, until Time Eater turned up as my act III boss.

Still won.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm curious about the Netrunner playtesters. Not sure why Netrunner players, since it's not like, a deckbuilding game (it is a deck construction game), and that game mostly uses bluffing and action economy as its main player skills...

If I had to guess, the simplest answer would be that a dev was a high-level Netrunner player and had access to other Netrunning friends and let them playtest the game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lone Goat posted:

If I had to guess, the simplest answer would be that a dev was a high-level Netrunner player and had access to other Netrunning friends and let them playtest the game.

You're apparently right. The dev runs stimhack.com.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Reiterpallasch posted:

well sure, if by running on servers you could permanantly take clicks away from the corp

Economy deprivation in Netrunner is equivalent to Weak, if you want to extend the comparison to literally every component of the game instead of just the core mechanic that directly coincides with Netrunner.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

guhhhh

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

one reason i like the silent's 'hold a card (or two)' ability is the ability to hold an attack just incase something like this happens

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
That's why I stopped taking clash. Seems so good, ends up sitting in the hand far too often.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Silent seems a bit less consistent, but when it gets going it gets going. Had a stupid deck that was 20% curses and massive amounts of discard synergy. Started every fight with like 8 strength.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

I really like necronomi-curse’s artwork

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

That's why I stopped taking clash. Seems so good, ends up sitting in the hand far too often.

Masterful Stab on the Silent has the same problem. Very few turns with the Silent end with an empty hand (and if they do it's because you're running a Discard/Storm of Steel deck) so it just ends up being a dead card five times more often than it's useful.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Silent’s lack of exhaust feels like a big weakness to me, but I will admit a love for exhaust decks.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Blind Duke posted:

Silent’s lack of exhaust feels like a big weakness to me, but I will admit a love for exhaust decks.

Silent gets ludicrous amounts of draw and discard, is supposed to be the tradeoff. Ironclad is good at pruning down his own deck, Silent just churns it like butter.

Hell, my last Silent run ended up with a deck the size of what you'd normally get in a M:tG game. If nothing else, it made statuses and curses far less awful to fall into.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Last night I got:

- Necronomicon - main power is cool but importantly gives curse you can't get rid of.
- Blue Candle - Lets you exhaust a curse for the cost of 1 HP
- Charon's ashes - Does 3 damage to all enemies when you exhaust a card.

PLUS the ironclad power that gives you block when you exhaust a card PLUS the power that damages enemies when you gain block.

If you exhaust the necro curse it pops back up instantly, so once I had everything up and going I could just play the necro curse for 1 HP and give myself 6 block then do 8 damage to everyone as many times as I wanted limited only by HP available.

I died to something stupid of course but lucking into that combo was pretty neat. If I had gotten the vampire event for a bit more healing (or feed / reaper) it might have been totally ridiculous.

E: oh, would that have procced Reaper? Does the damage come from the card or the relic?

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 1, 2018

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NmareBfly posted:

Last night I got:

- Necronomicon - main power is cool but importantly gives curse you can't get rid of.
- Blue Candle - Lets you exhaust a curse for the cost of 1 HP
- Charon's ashes - Does 3 damage to all enemies when you exhaust a card.

PLUS the ironclad power that gives you block when you exhaust a card PLUS the power that damages enemies when you gain block.

If you exhaust the necro curse it pops back up instantly, so once I had everything up and going I could just play the necro curse for 1 HP and give myself 6 block then do 8 damage to everyone as many times as I wanted limited only by HP available.

I died to something stupid of course but lucking into that combo was pretty neat. If I had gotten the vampire event for a bit more healing (or feed / reaper) it might have been totally ridiculous.

Can you kill yourself with the Blue Candle, or does it just stop working? It seems like it wouldn't just keep churning without damaging you. (If it did, that means you have an infinite any time you draw the Necronomicurse, at the price of all your health.)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Silent gets ludicrous amounts of draw and discard, is supposed to be the tradeoff. Ironclad is good at pruning down his own deck, Silent just churns it like butter.

Hell, my last Silent run ended up with a deck the size of what you'd normally get in a M:tG game. If nothing else, it made statuses and curses far less awful to fall into.

i like how the copious discards are great at making curses barely even matter.

I'm not as regular a winner w/ silent as ironclad but poo poo the silent decks are so much more fun

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

KataraniSword posted:

Can you kill yourself with the Blue Candle, or does it just stop working? It seems like it wouldn't just keep churning without damaging you. (If it did, that means you have an infinite any time you draw the Necronomicurse, at the price of all your health.)

I assumed it would just kill me so I don't think I tried it at 1 HP. If it doesn't then I guess the only weakness would be a thorn enemy. I was ended by a high-HP elite -- I think a book of stabbing that did me in.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just slayed the spire on my third attempt, Silent had a hilariously combo-tastic Snecko Eye run. Letter Opener, Shuriken, Gambling Chip, a whole bunch of cycling cards in my deck along with Thousand Cuts and Wraith Form and whatever the armor one's called. First turn I'd pick a few low-cost cards (ideally my powers), gamble everything else that wasn't 0 cost, and just dump my hand. Then repeat. Between the armor cards and weaken, I took very little damage and could vampire it back. It was wonderfully broken.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Started a run by reducing max HP for the relic that deals 3 random damage when you discard a card as Silent, knew this was my destiny and actually made heavy use of those Can't Be Played But Does A Thing When Discarded cards. And two upgraded Calculated Gambles on top of a bunch of draw.

Final boss was Time Eater, less of a problem when one card can deal ~14 damage and often get extra boni

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Hello? Anyone in there?

:getin:

Edit: Well, that was probably the easiest run I've ever had:

I ended killing both of them on the second turn with a 342 damage Whirlwind, fueled by multiple Offerings and Seeing Reds. (Apparently Double Tap doubles the amount of Whirlwind attacks, too!)

Exodee fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 2, 2018

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Patch day Thursdays!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/646570/announcements/detail/1672394201001038094

Removed Elixir Potion from the game! Plus some other good balancing changes, no real new content besides some animations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

good, i probably just throw elixers away 9 out of 10 times.

i guess it might be too good to have them just remove all status cards in the whole deck?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
FYI, an 18 card deck with 3 starting strength, double limit break+ and a pile of cleaves, whirlwinds and reapers is pretty cool.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Didn't see it in the patch notes, new potion is Ancient Potion, gives you 1 artifact which prevents a debuff. Potential good synergy with Flex on Ironclad for perm str buff.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

1 artifact sounds not great to be honest. i'd expect more like 2 or 3 artifact out of a potion. but maybe it's a lot better in practice

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i thought this poo poo wasn't supposed to happen anymore

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like the reworked eggs. Instead of "Upgrade a X card" they're now "whenever you add an X card, they're upgraded".

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ninjewtsu posted:

1 artifact sounds not great to be honest. i'd expect more like 2 or 3 artifact out of a potion. but maybe it's a lot better in practice

It's "better than Elixir". You'll use it about as much as the Weak potions, which is to say "it can save you some headache but it's not gonna save a run that's already floundering".

quote:

• All 3 Darklings can never do 8 x 2 dmg at once now.
  • In the 3 x Sentry elite combat, all of the sentries will no longer attack at once.
  • Reducing 3x Cultist spawn rate as there's a cultist + chosen encounter now.

Thank god. All three of those are potential run-killers if you don't already have things gelled out. (though the darklings was a less severe one since if you're still not sure what you're doing by act 3 you're gonna get murdered by the bosses anyway.)

The triangles is now unquestionably the easiest of the three elites in Act 1 regardless of run type. Compared to "blocking only makes me stronger" and "the longer you take, the weaker you get", the potential of a slim deck getting bloated with Dazeds is honestly refreshingly simple.

EDIT:

ninjewtsu posted:

i thought this poo poo wasn't supposed to happen anymore

Okay, maybe they're not fixed, and thus, just as dangerous still as the other two elites. :shobon:

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 2, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i spent 6 runs going strength hoping to play with limit break once, and it never appeared

first time i figure that i'm probably never gonna get it and run a block build, it appears twice before the end of the first area

i'm upset

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'd rather them fix the 3x Sentry fight to not take three hours instead of not having them all try to 8 me at once.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

ninjewtsu posted:

good, i probably just throw elixers away 9 out of 10 times.

i guess it might be too good to have them just remove all status cards in the whole deck?

Yeah, I thought maybe just having it remove a set number of status cards from deck or hand would be decent. I guess finding the line between 'worthless' and 'way too good' must have been tough.

Also, thanks to everyone who gave Silent advice! I finally got my first win on Silent, off of 3 discard relics and 3x fumes that let me turtle through Time Eater. I think at this point I'll probably take a break till the actual release, ~17 hours seems like about enough for now (realistically, I'll go back to running cheesy Ironclad decks instead).

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Bruceski posted:

I like the reworked eggs. Instead of "Upgrade a X card" they're now "whenever you add an X card, they're upgraded".

They're uncommon now but holy poo poo this is a huge buff. It probably isn't like deck defining but it is extremely good if you get one early.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
New Awakened One might be a bit overtuned. He does 33% more damage on his multi hit attacks, so if you're playing any amount of powers turn 1 you better have some serious defenses ready.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Jackhammer posted:

If you get searing blow before first camp, you just won the game. Just upgrade it every chance you get.

Just had a run where this happened. I only got it to +11 though. I did however also get the book that doubles the first 2+ cost attack each turn so throwing around 200+ damage from one card is pretty nuts. The deck was that, a bunch of cycling, and three headbutts to get Searing Blow back.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

a really thin deck with armaments and searing blow in it sounds like a pretty cool gimmick

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Cinara posted:

Patch day Thursdays!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/646570/announcements/detail/1672394201001038094

Removed Elixir Potion from the game! Plus some other good balancing changes, no real new content besides some animations.

good encounter changes even if they apparantly didn't take on the sentries. The mugger/looter can still be super nasty if you find them early on though

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

a really thin deck with armaments and searing blow in it sounds like a pretty cool gimmick

I was able to make this work last night! It was a bit rough though since I lacked a lot of defense cards and I also had a bit of an exhaust gimmick going which helped but also hindered a bit sometimes.

I had Disarm + a couple of Exhumes, this combined with a gambling chip made it so that I could often start a fight with -9 strength on a big target, I need to try to find more exhaust synergies like this one because everything else I had was a bit underwhelming.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I had a run with the silent last night where I got the gambling chip and the relic that does 3 damage to a random enemy every time you discard a card.

Fun fact when you use the gambling chip at the start of a fight those count for the discard relic.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

I had a run with the silent last night where I got the gambling chip and the relic that does 3 damage to a random enemy every time you discard a card.

Fun fact when you use the gambling chip at the start of a fight those count for the discard relic.

The sound of that relic going off seven times at once is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the cost change to warcry makes it pretty decent now.