Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Is there an Idiot's Guide to Playing the Defect somewhere? I've gotten enough of a hang of Silent/Ironclad that I've started climbing the lower ascensions, but I can't get a grasp on the orb mechanics.

The best I did was when I had an Electrodynamics in a bottle, but that lost to chip damage in the third act, because it tore groups apart but got its rear end kicked by the Elites there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Thanks for the advice!

Naturally, my very next run contained the Apparition event, 2 Meteor Strikes and a Snecko Eye, so I haven't been able to put it to use yet, but I'm sure it will help in the future. :shepface:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Just had a run with a bottled +11 Searing Blow and a Coffee Dripper, backed by Reaper and Feed.

Would have been a +12 if an "upgrade a random card" event hadn't missed it, and I somehow failed to kill the Transient, but c'est la vie.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

A Moose posted:

Seems like the defect is the easiest character to play by far. You get at least 1 source of frost orbs early on, get every single card that gives focus or orb slots, and then you just go hog loving wild with a good split of frost/lightning orbs. You always always pick at least 2 each of Defragment, Ball Lightning, Glacier, and Coolheaded. You grab at least 1 Capacitor, Electrodynamics, Biased Cognition, Echo Form and Consume, and then you bulldoze through elites and grab relics. Just force orbs every time, All for One is a trap card if you want to beat the Heart, and never ever ever pick Claw.

Eh, every character is easy if they luck into 13 copies of their best cards. I've definitely had runs where I've never been offered a Glacier, let alone the specific rares I need to make my build Heart-worthy.

E: On second thought, I think I misread. Yeah, that's fairly reasonable, but getting Echo Form, Capacitor and Consume in a single run is still far from guaranteed, particularly when you need them in an order that won't get you murdered by a Gremlin Nob/Slime Boss.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 28, 2019

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

ZZZorcerer posted:

Any other good single player deck build card game?
I loved playing Magic: Shandalar and I find this game pretty good.

I’ve found some games that are trying to copy StS but most of them seem bad/unbalanced/etc

Night of the Full Moon is... well, good is an exaggeration, but it's fun and kind of like someone took StS and replaced all the balance with jank and insanity. There is a plot I can't begin to understand where you basically play Little Red Riding Hood in the world of Warhammer Fantasy.

The Knight class is free, pay to unlock all the others. It's on mobile, so it's a decent toilet game.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Jedit posted:

Confirming that NotFM is a good game that I even played for a bit after 100%ing it, but warning that it's balanced around viewing ads and I uninstalled after they switched to video ads with a hard to find exit button.

Aw that sucks to hear, I haven't played in months at this point.

In that case seconding Card Quest, as mentioned it plays very differently from StS but it is very good and brutally difficult.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Jorbs just put out a new overexplained video which is focused on Defect but includes a lot of info that's generally applicable across runs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Pjl-ydx4g

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

This game is cool. I picked it up since it came out on switch and I heard good things about it when discussing Hearthstone's single player.

I was able to beat it with the warrior guy using debuff cards and double tapping the strike multiplier. I got close with the orb guy but I don't think I understand how to play the third one very well yet. I think the number 1 thing that kills me is the occasional gigantic hit that I can't prevent.

I figure I should try and win with the other classes before doing higher levels. It goes up to 20? Neat.

Are the card unlocks a big deal? I've unlocked a level or two for each but can't even remember what they were.

The unlocks are pretty big in that some of the most busted relics (looking at you, Dead Branch) are hidden behind them, but you can still climb plenty high before you get them all, and the further you go the faster you'll unlock them. You'll unlock everything well before you hit A10, let alone A20.

A tip for the bolded part: the entire game is based around preventing that giant hit, and your deck should be built with this in mind (whether by generating tons of block, killing enemies before they can get that big hit off, or in the case of Ironclad tanking it and healing the damage back later in the fight). The first step to getting good at this game is figuring out how to create a well-balanced deck that takes minimal damage and outscales lategame enemies.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

So is Berserk worthwhile now? I assume the upgrade now goes 2 turns vulnerable -> 1, which is definitely much better, but since lategame threats attack pretty much every turn I'm still not sure if it's worth it.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

to defeat the spire, slay at it until it dies

:hmmyes:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I feel like Runic Pyramid really bumps the value of upgraded Echo Form — it's not worth waiting a whole cycle to play, but if you draw it on a bad turn you can just play it on the next.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The bottles are conditional (innate cards still count as part of the starting draw), but when they're on, they're on. I just beat A16 thanks to a bottled Demon Form+ backed by two energy relics and a Lantern. Throw in a Necronomicon'd Heavy Blade and neither Champ nor Time Eater was allowed to pull any half-hitpoint bullshit.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

early-ascension defect can do quite well just by grabbing billions of powers and stacking ice orbs. it ends up being easier to scale block and just chip away, but you can do some truly disgusting burst with high focus, dark orbs, and ways to multicast. the defect is the character on which i find a bloated deck doesn't really seem quite so bad, too

past about asc-5 this is probably terrible advice, idk

Naw, power-backed frost orbs win all the way to 20. The only thing that changes as you climb is you need to scale your focus faster/more efficiently. Biased Cognition is a slam pick 99% of the time.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The new character is literally Cleric and you can choose to shake down or insult the others from his POV

Also his starting relic is Face of Cleric, obviously.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Klaus Kinski posted:

Because once you understand how the game plays it gets way too easy, ascensions are a way to make it interesting again. The difficulty scaling is pretty smooth except for a few of the final ones.

To get more specific, each ascension adds a single new wrinkle to the game. For instance, Ascension 1 adds more elites to the map, while Ascension two makes normal enemies harder on top of those additional elites.

Most ascensions add something different with some of the bigger changes being Ascension 5 reducing the healing you get after bosses, Ascension 10 giving you a permanent curse, Ascension 15 rigging the odds against you in events and Ascension 20 making you fight two bosses back-to-back at the end of Act 3.

E: Here's a list of what every level of ascension does.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Even with exhaust it's 5 turns of invincibility (3 at A15+), which is nutty. Also, unless I'm mistaken the max HP is just lopped off the top rather than causing your health to readjust downward, so if you're at 35/70 health the event will make you 35/35, not 17/35 or whatever. Not a gamechanger, but it makes it even more attractive when you've been taking a beating.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I once had a Spoon/Algorithm/Echo Form game where the Spoon procc'd Every. drat. Time.

Algorithm was blocking for 130+ by the end, which is why I of course forgot to take the key at the last campfire! :downs:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Yeah understanding exhaust is one of the most important but unintuitive parts of getting good at this game.

At a glance Burning Pact seems weak. You have to not just pay an energy, but actually exhaust a card to draw some extra cards? That sounds terrible!

Then you realize what you're really doing is paying that energy to remove a Strike from your deck with the card draw as a rather nice bonus.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

At this point I'm pretty sure the last Act 3 campfire contains some sort of subliminal message that forces you to ignore the letters "RECALL"

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

ZZZorcerer posted:

Only saw two new stuff (on a Silent run)

Relic: play 10 cards, draw one card
Potion: Next card is played twice

(Ascension 0 is so breezy)

Awesome, a new and exciting way for Time Eater to murder me for my inability to perform basic math!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Jedit posted:

I also just got my first Watcher win, with the same rares as you plus Blasphemy and Deva Form. I also re-rolled my starting relic and got Runic Pyramid, which really did not hurt at all. However, I went for a fat deck with as much Scry and as many Weaves as I could find.

Observations:

Runic Pyramid does not count as retaining.

Artifact will not stop Blasphemy killing you - it's a buff, not a debuff.

Truly the most 2019 of updates.

Anyway, I'm jealous that I haven't had the time to check out this update. The new character sounds wild.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Welp, Deus Ex Machina just joined Meteor Strike and Boot Sequence in the pantheon of Pro-est Beta Art.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Yes I just had a nutty Beyond Perfect run where the only time I took more than chip damage after Act 1 was that fight, thanks to the legendary no block on turn 1 hand. Proceeded to paste them just fine, but it was weird to actually take damage.

It's usually worth it even with the Secret Curse, but I tend to avoid that event on mediocre decks unless my options are "Hail Mary" or "Die to the Act 3 Boss."

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Not by number of cards, but once I'm confident I can take out the A1 boss and any remaining elites in the way without dying, preferably also without needing to rest at the last A1 campfire.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

If you're low energy (act 1 or never getting an energy relic) anger is okay.
If you have relics that help you scale with attacks played (kunai/shuriken/fan) anger is okayish post act 1 so long as its supported with card draw to get you through the tough turns.

If you don't have card draw though, you gonna die with it. Some people in this threads feelings on snecko/curses/removing strikes makes me think people underestimate the importance of card draw.

If you don't have enough card draw just don't play it, and it becomes a weak curse. In particular it's a weak curse that got you through Act 1, which is exactly the same as all the other suboptimal picks that you might grab to beat Knob or Lagavulin and ignore from Act 2 onward.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

little munchkin posted:

yea it's honestly not that hard to end up in that situation if you're not heavily biasing yourself towards attacks early on. my rule of thumb is i want to add three attacks to my deck before i hit the first elite. skills that deal damage are fine but demoted slightly because they're bad against gremlin nob. if i'm taking something that doesn't deal damage, it needs to be amazing. feels bad turning down a backflip on floor one for some junker attack but that's really how you need to play it.

This is one of my favorite bits of design in this game, because it often forces you to take mediocre cards. Without the ultra-aggressive Act 1 elites it would be too easy to make a list of cards you always ignore. Instead they become a necessary evil, and you end up looking for ways to keep them from turning into essentially curses lategame.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Carados posted:

I would like to tell everyone that Snecko in French is Geckobra, which is a much better name.

:hmmyes:

:hmmno:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Conversely, the thicker your deck is made with good cards the less impact curses, strikes and status cards will have. Don't avoid picking cards that will strengthen your deck even if it's getting fat, that tends to be the big mistake people start making after they learn to not take every card in the first place.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

MJeff posted:

Everybody knows the fifth playable character is cultist.

Every character is the cultist if you're not a coward and play Good Face/Bad Face. :colbert:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Watcher sure is something else. I'm on Ascensions 19/16/17 with the first three, and between them I've killed the Heart once.

I've played Watcher four times and beaten the Heart twice with her. I don't even have all the unlocks yet. :shepface:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Strapon: Watcher exclusive relic: On Card Reward screens, choose from 4 cards instead of 3. 1 will always be an Ironclad card.

I know this is a joke, but it would actually make Prismatic Shard way better: add one additional card reward that can be of any class. You could still keep an eye out for fun/busted combos without hurting access to your character's main strengths.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Fair enough re: infinite money, but the game already lets you do plenty of busted combos that take far less effort.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

At least at higher ascensions, you need to have a gameplan to beat the Heart. Solid gameplans include some, but not all, of the strategies that are effective for the first three acts. It's a very specific fight that has very specific needs (lots of block, burst damage that can be spaced out over several turns) that you won't find on every run.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Flython posted:

Those all make sense. I don't know why but I was inserting *next attack this turn deals extra damage* whenever I read it.

I did too until recently. I think it's because similar cards like Burst, Double Tap and Amplify work that way.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Just beat A20 for the first time in the stupidest way possible: with a deck that had Corruption, Dead Branch and Snecko Eye.

Also three Reapers for flavor.

Screw you, spire.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

There's also the 100% spawn chance for Byrds after you pick Philosopher's Stone in act 1.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

... Are you me?
Literally the same thing happened to us, yesterday.

That depends! Did you limp through Act 1 on the back of a Chemical X-boosted Whirlwind before Our Lord and Savior Snecko Eye raised you up in His mighty arms?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

BBJoey posted:

lol if you don't open chests even if you have the cursed key

Not an empty quote!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

This game is pretty good, but it's kind of annoying how there's no post-Act 1 content for Silent in Ascension 18.

Seriously how do you get past this act without just skipping every elite and ruining your chances in Act 2, I just can't seem to draft enough damage to win the damage race against Knob or Lagavulin. I can usually handle the first elite, but even if I heal in between the second puts me down down every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

The trick to gremlin nob is to get to high enough ascension that he automatically uses the weaker debuff attack on turn 2 and then just burst him down before his big turn 3 attack. Use potions if you need to, you're not likely to need them for other act 1 fights.

Slam picking empty fist/fear no evil helps, since it gives you a way out of wrath that doesn't buff nob. Then even at lower ascension you can risk going into wrath turn 1-2 and hope to switch back out, facetank 20 or so damage, and hopefully finish him off.

As always, taking attacks early on is super important, even more than usual. in the first few fights of a watcher run there are very few cards that I would take over literally any attack card, and the watcher has lots of incredibly good cards.

While this is broadly true (hyperagression is king in A1), I don't think you can poo poo out 90 damage in 3 turns unless you don't find Nob until the end of the act or get insanely lucky with potions/card choices and draws. You're almost certainly going to tank a big hit or two and should path accordingly.