Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just swapped my starting relic for the coffee dripper. Didn't go heaps well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The first time I ever played The Silent the game handed me an absurd shiv deck and I killed everything, and I find it hard to get past that and not believe shivs are the best.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I love Mummified Hand way too much and yes especially on Defect.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Remember to completely ignore card cost when you have Snecko Eye, the power of the effect is all that matters. Card draw also becomes better since you get to see more discounted cards.

Instead of doing this I refused to pick any card of cost lower than 2.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hey earlier people were talking about other possible deckbuilding games to 'scratch that itch' or whatever.

Just noticed this one on Fig.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/arcanium

I'm curious and will probs back it at at least the early bird mark, although it annoys me that you've gotta go up a tier to get some special artifact things. Apparently it's in some kind of early access thing ATM but I'm usually wary of playing in that mode for fear it'll suck so bad I won't wanna play it when it comes out properly.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Wanderer posted:

For whatever it's worth, Roundguard came out today on Switch/XB1/Steam/Apple Arcade.

It's kind of a pachinko/Peggle spin on what StS does with cards.

I just impulse bought it and it's p. fun.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

anyway can't wait for the yellow character to be premiered and have even more complicated mechanics than the watcher

If this is a reference to the foreign influence card, devs have confirmed there's no significance to the yellow coloured thread.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MJeff posted:

Guys, I'm starting to think Silent might actually just be bad.

The Silent is the best because I won on my first try with her, and I won't hear any different.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah that video ruled.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Silent is the best because the first time I played her I got a deck with all the shivs and won on my first go.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

You don't need to smith at campfires because good cards are already good

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Oh no

I was rolling along really well on defect and not caring about taking damage because I had like 4 of that one healing power and apotheosis and that thing that makes powers happen twice, but I got blown away by two of those annoying little self destructing things

Probably should've thought more about my deck instead of just going oh well nothing can touch me who cares

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah I don't want to forgo the relic or beat up the tougher elite or miss out on a campfire. I almost never go for the heart unless I'm on a ridiculous roll.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I enjoyed Rogue Legacy and I'm going to enjoy Monster Train.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I like it a lot.

Once you get into the 'covenants' (basically ascensions) you have to embrace absurdly broken builds to do well. Up to covenant 4 so far.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yoshi Wins posted:

So Snecko Oil is an interesting potion. Draw 5 cards, and make every single card in your hand more expensive to play for the rest of combat. Very useful.

Unless, of course, you have a bunch of expensive cards, in which case it works much like snecko eye, which is generally considered to be possibly the best relic in the game.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hmmm yeah that's a purchase, probs. Long as there's a demo so I can test how it plays on my low end phone.

EDIT: oh wait, iOS. Nah, need android.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 4, 2020

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

DontMockMySmock posted:

I guess you have the prerogative to continue to suck at slay the spire if you want to :shrug:

I sure do plan to!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I have regretted it every time I've taken Wraith Form, I know the consensus is that it rules but I hate that card.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I only just saw that. How did you only take two cards?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There are only two ways to play Defect.

1: All the power cards.

2: Claw.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I am relatively bad at this game, but I do know how to pick every single power card and then play them all when I have Mummy Hand.

EDIT: It was echo form in the bottle btw.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Shine posted:

Monster Train.

Yeah this

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I had no discernible strategy in this run beyond 'play as watcher, dig for relics, keep playing cards'. It ended up working all right.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I ended up with 800 gold and then didn't go to any shops, lol whoops.

EDIT: Also, probs shouldn't have bought the orange pellets tbh, but whatevs

EDIT: wait I had it first, probs shouldn't have gotten Snecko.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah I definitely don't want time limits. Maybe as an optional game mode, not in the core game.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I am gonna savescum as much as I want in a single player game and there's nothing you can do about it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I like both games a lot

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mantari posted:

I bought Wizardry 8 because of this post and I'm having an absolute blast!

I started a new game in it today I love it so much.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

perc2 posted:

Can you explain the appeal that causes it to rack up 300hrs+ for you? I do like an old-school RPG, but wouldn't mind hearing a bit more about it

I don't wanna fill up the StS thread too much with me waffling on about my love for a nearly 20 year old RPG, but I'll try to briefly explain it. (Also here's a link to the Old School RPG Megathread where my posts in particular are mostly about this game. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473537&userid=105626)

So first of all, it is potentially a fairly long game in and of itself. The main thing tho that keeps me coming back to it is that it scratches an itch no other game really scratches in terms of how satisfying it is to level up your group of dudes or dudettes and kit them out with gear. Every level up you put points into both main attributes and skills, but then when you get an attribute to 100 you unlock expert skills, and also you get better at skills by doing them a whole bunch, so in combat I just have my entire team doing a bunch of unnecessary spell casting so I can get better at that. Also there are a bunch of race/class combinations.

It's possible to take a party from Wizardry 6 all the way to 8 but I've tried playing both 6 and 7 and just didn't like them very much.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I play Defect by either collecting all the power cards or all the claws

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zore posted:

This is a weird post. Who was even arguing about Jorbs?

The preceding several posts were explicitly about whether Jorbs' dickishness was within normal parameters.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

StS Android is good because if I'm just chilling somewhere I can play for a bit but I have the following gripes that are probably 100% operator error:

There doesn't seem to be a way to quit and I seem to have to switch the phone to standby, switch it back on so the program's not active, then quit.
Sometimes I'm in the middle of a battle and then I have to look away for a moment and the phone goes to standby and when I get back into the game it's bounced me back to the main menu and I have to start that battle again.
My big dumb fingers (which are actually quite slender tbh) keep having difficulty grabbing the right cards.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just beat Ascension 9 with a perfected strike deck and I know that's a low ascension but it's the highest I've gotten and anyway it was a hell of a lot of fun leaning into the gimmick and having hardly any block but just relying on repeatedly one shotting whichever enemy was attacking me.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fell into my first ever heart win today, on the android version in which I'm only up to ascension one. Wasn't even a very good hand I think, but I had a bottled demon form, a limit break, and a bunch of cards that attacked multiple times like sword boomerang or pummel, so got it done in the end.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think Self-Forming Clay was doing a fair bit of heavy lifting.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The android version seems to maybe have a bug or something where I can't go up ascensions with Defect. I've won twice on Ascension 1 and still stuck there.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That was one of the few StS streams I've watched in its entirety. Was so fun., and I love that he doesn't take very long on decisions.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Every time I get the book event and roll Morellonomicon

Is this from a mod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My favourite thing with The Silent is shivs. Lots and lots of shivs.