Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Playing the Watcher is super annoying without card art, so I'll probably hold off on it for a little while.

Looking through the changes in the beta, I'm mildly concerned that they're making the game a little too easy. While every balance update seems justified on its own, they do constitute a rather significant buff to the player when taken altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
Ugh, yesterday I accidentally died by brushing the "E" button, ending my turn before playing any cards against the act 4 elite. No saving and quitting away from that one. :/

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
I have to say that the watcher feels a bit overtuned at the moment. However, they've done a pretty good job making her more fun to play than she initially was.

I had to save-scum a Nemesis-fight today, as my divinity build gained 5 mantra every turn. Turns out this can be either really good or really bad in this fight.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

goferchan posted:

That's cool as hell lol. Also I didn't know that about Carlsen

edit: oh it's THAT football. less cool but still neat

This is pretty quickly veering of topic, but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVS-NIkkUrA

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Hey, the Book of Stabbing kicks the poo poo out of me every single time. Does anyone have any advice on how I should build/play against it? Is it just a rush to smash it before it scales up too fast?

Depends on what character you're playing, but smashing it before it smashes you is definitely part of the strategy. Book of stabbing is a tough fight, but if you always struggle with it that sort of indicates that you might not prioritize fast damage enough. That can either be through overreliance on slow scaling (think noxious fumes or demon form) or not balancing damage/defense cards appropriately. More concretely, anything that reduces strength is great against Book of Stabbing, like disarm for ironclad, or piercing wail/malaise for silent.

More generally, if you recognize that something is going to be a difficult fight for your deck, it is wise to buy/pick potions/relics/cards that will help you out for that fight specifically. That said, act 2 elites are probably the most difficult fights in the game, and it is very possible to skip them and still be capable of beating the game.

military cervix fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 2, 2020

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Straight White Shark posted:

Honestly at high ascension I still prioritize act 2 elites over act 2 hallway fights. If I'm going to get wrecked I might as well get something for my trouble.

Fair point. In my experience, the flow of the game sort of breaks down at high ascenscions: If you are powerful enough to get through act 2, most of act 3 is usually rather trivial, with the exception of the bosses and the reptomancer fight. I suspect this imbalance is less impactful at lower ascenscions, but it is sort of difficult to evaluate that as soon as you get comfortable playing at higher ascenscions.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
I recently beat the heart at A20 with the watcher, so I have some thoughts. Watcher is the most powerful character by a pretty wide margin, but can be a little tricky to get the hang of. Some tips:

1. Cycling between wrath and calm is the core mechanic that should be utilized practically every run. While divinity stance is fun, it is usually a trap to build around it (IMO). Prioritize cards that help you stance dance, including the "empty" cards.

2. You can deal a lot of damage by doing big wrath turns. The retain, scry and miracle mechanics facilitate these massive turns. Get used to calculating damage to see if you have enough damage to kill by going into wrath. Savescumming is the only way out of doing some math. In longer fights, get used to looking at your draw pile to see if you will have a way out of wrath next turn.

3. Go aggressive in the first act. The watcher is excellent at killing elites early. The usual rule of prioritizing attacks early applies for watcher as well. Killing elites becomes easier if you can upgrade your eruption.

4. Scrying is useful not only for planning, but also for cycling through your deck really quickly. Don't be afraid to discard all the cards you scry just to get to the cards you want quicker.

5. High priority cards:
- Talk to the hand (Almost an auto-pick, this card is a life save in a lot fights. Will turn your flurry of blows into block cards.)
- Mental fortress (if you're cycling as you should be, this will be a lot of block)
- Cut through faith (Deal damage and look at two cards, pick the one you want, or neither)
- Tantrum (The "discard into draw pile" is really good for stance dancing. Can deal serious damage with some strength.)
- Flurry of blows (if you're scrying, it is good to discard these, as they come back from the discard pile when you change stances)
- Rushdown (Very useful for going off in the lategame.)
- Most rare cards are good, scrawl, vault and omniscience in particular

6. Trap cards:
- Wreath of flames
- Pressure points
- Alpha
- Study
While there are exceptions, these cards are just way too slow most of the time.

Hopefully this was helpful!

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

headcase posted:

wait what is so bad about ectoplasm? I almost always take it as long as i've offloaded enough strikes. I find there to be enough other resources.

Gold is really valuable. Stores are pretty much the only place in the game where you're offered a huge array of choices that you can use to hammer out any weaknesses in your run. If you think of it like missing out on a couple of card removes and a random card, then it really isn't all that great. But shops can be a lifeline when you're desperately missing some essential card/relic/potion to beat the upcoming fights or the rest of the run in general.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

drat Dirty Ape posted:

For those of you who are experienced or good at this game, what would you say your winrate is? I consider myself a pretty bad player but recently had a promising run end due to some bad luck. I find I definitely 'push my luck' too far with smith upgrades and end up getting crunched in one turn by a mob of hard hitters when luck deals me a hand of powers and strikes (my last run).

For ascenscion 0-1, probably over 95% unless I'm deliberately trying to do something funky. On ascenscion 20 with the heart? Maybe 10% for the heart with ironclad and silent, and 30% with the watcher. My impression is that the top players have 50+% winrates with the everyone except watcher, where they can top 95% at ascenscion 20.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

nrook posted:

My feelings towards act 3 elites are a bit complicated, by which I mean that I don't respect either nemesis or giant head even though I still regularly get destroyed by both of them

My worst watcher loss was setting myself up to gain 5 mantra every turn against the nemesis, ensuring that I was always in divinity stance when he (she?) was intangible. Felt bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

NihilCredo posted:

Why is everybody saying the Silent starter relic is great? T1 I'm almost always constrained by energy, not cards. While there's a couple relic like Lantern which give you extra T1 energy to spend, there are far more options to boost the quality of your opening hand (Innates, Bottled X, Secret X). A somewhat higher chance of drawing e.g. Noxious Fumes on T1 is OK I guess, but it's far from a big deal if I draw it a turn later.

It drastically reduces the variability of the opening hand, which is really important. This helps you get set up quickly, but also lowers the risk of getting murdered. At some point you're going to run into slavers in act 2 and draw two powers, ascender's bane and two attacks, ensuring that you take 30+ damage. Having a big deck to thin out your scaling cards is one way to counter that variability, drawing bigger hands is the other.