Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Got my first win with a Silent deck. I traded my starting relic (due to its relative weakness) for a random boss relic...and got the sneck eye. "poo poo." I thought. "I'm hosed."

But I managed to keep it together and built around the confusion effect of the sneck eye. I went for stuff like thousand cuts, wraith form, a whole ton of draw cards and...bullet time. Bullet time carried that run. See, since I was constantly confused, my card costs were randomized upon drawing them. Bullet time costs 3 energy, so it would only ever be made cheaper. So there I went, using my draw to fish for bullet time and then unloading my entire hand on enemies. And then since I had so much draw, it wasn't long before I was ready to do it again.

I am so very glad I didn't come up against the time eater as my final boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Just got Thread and Needle for the first time, jesus is this relic obscenely overpowered early on, free metalisize++ from turn 1 yes please

Get it alongside orichalcum. Orichalcum gives you 6 block if you end your turn with no block, but it triggers /before/ plate armour from thread and needle does. So you get a free 11 block at the end of your turn to keep the low damage off of you, and you only need to defend on particularly hard hits.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

Excessively thin decks get hosed hard by status cards though.

Not if it's an exhaust deck! With an exhaust deck, status cards can become just another resource to burn.

i have not yet won with an exhaust deck mostly due to lack of opportunity. If you don't get some of the core cards early on, just go for a more standard deck really.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Been playing this about a week, have something like 10 wins between the two classes (more consistently with Ironchad than Shush), and been trying my best to thin decks while still getting the cards I actually need.

I noticed in either this newest update or the one before it, Remove 2 Cards gets consistently paired with "Lose 50% Current HP" as opposed to "Lose 7 Max HP". Is it worth it to go for in that case? I've been getting wrecked early on when I get a whale like that.

Lose 50% current HP is generally fine on Ironclad if you play conservatively at first, since his +6hp per fight relic will let him stay topped up or even get his health back up if you perfect a few fights.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Got up to Time Eater with an wounds and immolate deck. Pop evolve, generate a bunch of wounds via that + other cards, burn them with immolate for big AoE damage.

i almost got time eater but he was swinging for 30+ damage many rounds in a row and and even with abusing headbutt to keep putting power through in my next draw i couldn't block forever and he got me

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Grimwall posted:

Can someone tell me how an exhaust deck works? Do you always need the branch?

You can run an exhaust deck without the branch, but the kinds of exhaust decks you can run are more limited. Rather than having cards that exhaust themselves you run with cards that exhaust other cards, and then you start mass producing cards to exhaust. Evolve is really drat good for it, since there's a few cards that have a powerful effect in return for adding wound cards to your deck and evolve lets you cycle through them, meaning you can both have cards to exhaust and the cards to exhaust them with. Immolate is a good pick if you're running a wounds based exhaust deck, as is that one that exhausts all non-attack cards in your hand and gives you block for each of them.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The issues with spot weakness are 1) You can't always use it when it's in your hand and 2) It's an offensive buff that's only usable when you're under attack, at which point you probably want something defensive. Adding to that, the time when you'd want to use it (when you don't have to defend) is the time you don't get to.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

That was a fun run, I got a nerconomicon so heavy striking time eater was particularly satisfying.

That said, he gets turn counts for curses triggering at end of turn? gently caress that poo poo.

It's a pain, but you can also game it by ending your turn when any ethereal cards left in your hand would trigger his 12 card counter and basically skip it entirely.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Anything that has helpers is a pain in the rear end to take out. If you didn't pick up AoE, it's often not worth taking them out since they'll just get resummoned soon and you'll get whittled down.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

its almost as if the game is trying to tell you something :thunk:

Really, 1 AoE card and you're good to go for Act II, or build a deck defensive enough to eat the hits. Both characters have playable options at common and uncommon. This isn't rocket deck building science.

due to the random nature of the game i'm not always offered one

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TaintedBalance posted:

Well, gently caress today's daily. I encountered that dumb shell elite on Act 1 as my 3rd encounter and promptly got destroyed because that dude is a complete monster to The Silent with no poison or strong debuffing. Man, I know I'm getting better at the game, but the poo poo just feels so loving brutal on the Silent. I think it really comes down to The Ironclad's starting artifact does a much job of both short term and long term mitigation. A bad draw on The Ironclad that leads to taking a chunk of damage can be recovered from over solid play against a few more enemies - with The Silent, you just loving eat it. My gut says Ring of the Snake would be more on par if it was 1 additional card, but every turn, but maybe that would be OP?

Weird. I always find that particular elite pretty easy. The big oni looking guy usually beats me up way more than the shell dude.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Plus the Apparitions are ethereal, so you must play them and forgo a possibly better opportunity for it.

Not /quite/ true. With ethereal cards, they only exhaust if they're in your hand at the end of your turn. If you discard it before that, it'll go into your discard pile for you to possibly get again later.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

fantastic in plastic posted:

True Grit is Bad when not upgraded and Good when upgraded, not sure if that qualifies as non-obvious

I'd say unupgraded True Grit is never worth taking unless you know you can upgrade it immediately. Even upgraded, it's probably not worth it over other options unless you have an exhaust deck running already.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
So does the game fudge the odds of running into specific bosses based on what character/deck you have? Because every time I get The Defect to the last boss it's always The Unawakened One. And on a character that's so heavy on powers, it's kinda rough despite the benefit of the power generally outweighing the extra damage heavily.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

My attempts to get the 1 relic achievement always fail to my greatest nemesis - accidentally picking up a relic

If there's one feature the game desperately needs it's an undo button. Like, if you press undo before moving on to the next space on the map, you get to undo the card you just picked or upgraded or whatever, with the exception being stuff like transform a card. Anything that doesn't have a set outcome when you pick it can't be rolled back, but anything that's a set in stone outcome can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Happylisk posted:

Lost to the awakened one when he had 6 hp because I am a dummy who can't read cards, played biased cognition way too early in the fight, and ended up with 9 useless orbs. I would've steamed rolled him but for that stupidity.

Biased Cognition is fantastic if you have cards or even that potion that grants artifact status. It's fantastic without artifact, though like you discovered less so with bosses since unlike hallway fights you can't necessarily beat the boss down before you actually start going into negative focus.