Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Sylphosaurus posted:

I have to admit that I usually flat out tend to disregard these kind of games but I´m actually about to drop the cash for it since the Let´s Play´s I´ve watched make it seem really fun. Are there any things that I absolutely should know before starting for the first time?

Once you settle into kind of a groove and feel like you can only win with a specific theme or specific cards, mix poo poo up by taking cards that you assume sound bad, because you may discover that they can be extremely good via a strategy or synergy you hadn't considered. For example, Ironclad's Corruption is a card I shied away from at first. Like, "poo poo, I'm gonna exhaust all of my skills and be unable to block!!" but you'd be surprised how that card really just lets you steamroll a fight because you can go nuts on offense with your energy, since your skills will be free. Plus Ironclad can get other powers/relics that give you benefits when you exhaust cards, some of which are INCREDIBLY powerful. So yeah, avoid the trap of finding 1-2 strategies that work and trying to force those strategies every game. Try random poo poo here and there, especially those high-cost cards that maybe don't sound that great at first. High-cost cards are generally high-cost because they were tested and found to be too OP with a lower cost. Part of the fun of this game is finding the synergy that makes that card click, and now instead of 1-2 reliable strategies to look for, you have 3-4 or more.

Pay close attention to keywords. Games like this are all about "well, technically..." application of keywords. For example, Feel No Pain gives you block when a card exhausts. You might think, "whatever, I don't have a lot of exhausting cards," but there are enemies, including an Act 1 elite fight, who put status cards in your deck that can be exhausted to remove them (slime) or that automatically exhaust (dazed), so FNP will give you block from those because, "well, technically" it triggers on ANY card that exhausts.

Also, if a card gives you both a benefit and a debuff, you can prevent that debuff if you have an Artifact charge beforehand. This lets you, for example, play Fasting (a Watcher power) and not have the energy loss debuff. There is also a relic, Orange Pellets, that lets you cleanse debuffs after they're applied, similarly removing the debuffs of certain cards (and debuffs applied by enemies).

Anyway, if and when you hit a wall and the game outcomes start to feel super RNG-based, post some game result screens and goons will give you tips. Like XCOM, this game is chock full of RNG, but you can still win the vast majority of the time with optimal decision-making.

Shine fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

It's great. My biggest gripe with the Switch version right now is that it still has the old Firebreathing :argh:

Can't wait to have Watcher on Switch. She's all I'm playing on PC for now. So much fun poo poo in that deck.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Sockser posted:

Deal 18 damage 12 times

Gosh, the Watcher is pretty fuckin absurd sometimes

I love when I can turtle long enough to make this kind of poo poo happen :allears:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I had a similar thing happen when I had a mummified hand :swoon:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

mirror123 posted:

For you guys that are at A20, would the lower difficulties be pretty much a cakewalk for you now or can you still get bad runs from bad luck.

Can't speak for A20, but I'm up to at least A12 with all characters, and A1-3 are basically automatic wins unless I try some weirdass high-risk poo poo, so I imagine that experience scales up. There are players on Twitch who will do A0-A20 speedruns without losing a single game.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

What's a good strategy in the early going for getting used to the game, and unlocking things? Should I be focused in fighting elites and getting as many relics as possible just to get used to the mechanics? Should I generally be playing aggressively rather than worrying about HP?

Scroll up a bit for general advice.

Stuff unlocks pretty quickly. Just play the game, do whatever, get a feel for the available cards and relics, try cards you've never tried before, etc.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Goodpancakes posted:

In early hallway fights do you block as much as you can and then do damage? Or do you let some through to end the encounter faster?

Like folks said, it varies by encounter. Some enemies stay at the same general level of power all fight, or increase their power kinda slowly. For these fights, take your time and block fully when you can't land a killshot.

The bosses of Act 1 work along these lines. The guardian (spiky humanoid guy) never gets any stronger, so I'll turtle the hell out of that fight. The bigass slime and its splits don't get stronger, but they will clog your deck with slime status cards, so it can be worth taking a hit here and there to do more damage so that you don't end up with a hand full of slimes and no way to block.

The hexaghost is the biggest threat, as it has a lot of health, and will put burn status cards into your deck. Unlike slime cards, you can't remove burns from your deck (unless you've picked up a card/relic that allows you to exhaust cards, which is pretty easy for Ironclad), and burns hurt you. It also gets more powerful as the fight goes on, upgrading its burns to damage you for 4 instead of 2. So yeah, I'll generally eat 6 damage from that thing if it means I can deal an extra 12 damage, because I want to kill the drat thing before it charges up and floods me with upgraded burns.

Shine fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 26, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Black blood lets me get away with more fuckups.

Extra energy helps me gently caress up less.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

xanthan posted:

Holy Water on Watcher can be a windmill slam over other energy relics. 3 extra but they're one use only can be great for ending a fight turn one. Depends on what you have in your deck though.

I love getting it when I have Deva Form bottled.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Yoshi Wins posted:

Yeah, the day they redesigned Fire Breathing was a great day. The new Fire Breathing is a really fun card. It's a blast to pick it up early in a Slime Boss Act I and then also get Sentries as one of the elite fights.

It's among the most cathartic powers in the game. Drawing a bunch of status cards and watching the enemy explode is such a satisfying "gently caress you."

Now update the Switch version! :argh:

Incidentally, does "The Ending" custom modifier just not work on Switch? It doesn't do anything for me. No keys, no key tracker, no Act 4.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Spiteski posted:

Just started playing.
This game is hard as gently caress. Found an Awakened One, struggled though it and then the prick reset back to full life and I died.

:xcom:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SirFozzie posted:

(BTW, anyone know a way to enable act 4 for custom mode? :D)

There is a "The Ending" modifier for custom games. I believe you unlock it by beating the heart with each character :v:.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

As an aside, your best bet to beat the heart legit is to do Ascension 1. It just spawns more elites, which means more chances to get nice relics and cards compared to the vanilla difficulty.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

MJeff posted:

lol yeah all of the act 3 bosses have fun tricks like that. Ask me how I reacted when the first time I fought Time Eater was with a poison deck!

Foolish, FOOLISH!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I just had an incredibly fun Defect A14 run. Had 3 Chaos+, Consume+, two defrags, Biased, Orange Pellets, several Glaciers, Echo Form, Calipers, and the relic that gives you a orb slot every 2 turns, so I could play Consume with impunity.

Act 3 boss was the Time Bitch. Between the focus buffs, Glaciers and Calipers, I stacked up hundreds of block within a few turns and nuked it with Chaos.

Buuuuut I forgot to get the red key at the last bonfire :cripes:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Bottled Demon Form + bottled Dual Wield + Mummified Hand. Oh my god that was fun! :swoon:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

nrook posted:

I would assume they feel obligated to take the event because it’s so strong but don’t like playing the deck afterwards.

This is me. Apparitions and Wraith Form are boring as poo poo and I hate picking them, but they're really loving good so it's hard not to pick them.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I feel like Watcher has more potential for just destroying the game with bullshit combos than the other classes, balanced by higher potential for imploding in horribly embarrassing fashion.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Juggernaut on a frost-heavy Defect is a loving blast :swoon:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Torii and Tungsten Rod just carried me through a Heart fight. That's a "gently caress you" synergy, goddamn.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I became a Jorbs fan when someone in chat asked him if he would do a Joe Rogan impression, and he said, "I don't know who that is... so.... no."

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

MJeff posted:

I was just assuming it would reduce the damage to 0, I'm not speaking from experience.

Rod + intangible does, yes. Torii effectively does nothing with intangible, as it reduces damage to 1, which is all you'll be hit for anyway while intangible. .

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I believe you have to defeat the Heart on a standard game with each character to unlock The Ending in custom games.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

That blue slate/coral pink color scheme? So ugly. Consider yourself judged :smug:

What is this style? Disgusting! Are you BLEEDING? Grooooossssss! business?? You a customer?? Fine, whaaaaaatever.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'm enjoying custom games on A20 with Sealed Deck (craft a starting deck from 30 random cards). It's shitloads easier than vanilla, obviously, but it's a fun way to mess with A20-viable combos.

Hopefully the Watcher patch also fixes The Ending not working in custom games. I reported that bug months ago :argh:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I play on Switch. How does the Watcher work?

Her big gimmick is her stances. Wrath stance doubles the attack damage you deal and receive. Calm stance by itself does nothing (by default), but when you exit the Calm stance, you gain 2 energy. There are a bunch of cards that let you either exit a stance or switch to another stance, so you "stance dance" to take advantage of what each one does. It's very possible to miscalculate how much damage you were going to do that turn, and end up stuck in Wrath as Nob attacks you for like 60. Welp.

There's a third stance that you don't have access to by default, Divine, that gives you several energy and triples your attack damage (without increasing damage done to you). It's harder to get into than the other stances, as you have to build up charges with other cards. Or you can use one card that instantly puts you in it, with a humorous catch.

She has some other gimmicks, such as scry (view your upcoming draw and preemptively discard, like Reprogram for Defect), and retain (like Well Laid Plans for Silent, except built into individual cards). With these, you can pretty easily set up a "perfect turn," drawing/retaining the exact cards you want to coincide with the Wrath or Divine stance, and you can absolutely poo poo out attack damage. Dealing 100+ damage in a turn is very common with her.

So yeah, she's a bit more complicated than the other classes, and the risk/reward with Wrath can lead to some very embarrassing gently caress-ups, but once she clicks, hooooly poo poo she is so much fun. Retaining 4 attacks that do 12 damage, scrying your next 8 cards to guarantee draw of another attack that does 20, and then going into Divine stance to deal 204 damage is a loving blast.

Also, her "Form" card is Deva Form. It's not the best in the game (I won't immediately smash pick it like I do with Echo Form), but it's fun as hell if you can work it work. It increases your starting energy every turn, so you get 1 more energy on your next turn, 2 more on the following, etc. It's awesome on fights that you can drag out fairly safely, like Champ, as you can let it get you to like 10 energy before you damage him to his second phase, and then play your entire hand + additional card draw every turn.

Can't wait to have her on Switch!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Watcher patch is up on Switch! They fixed "The Ending" not working, as well.

Oh yeah, for those not playing on PC, this patch also adds a ton of new potions, some of which can be ridiculously powerful. Duplication potion on Wraith Form+ to gain 6 intangible, for example.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

goferchan posted:

Yeah the new potions are good and also just really fun. It's funny that without actually changing it they effectively nerfed Sozu for me by making me not want to skip potions anymore

Yeah, it's less of a smash pick now. A good change, I think.

In non-Watcher news, this patch should also add the reworked Firebreathing for Ironclad, which is loving nuts with the right supporting cards. Definitely something I got spoiled by on PC and had been lamenting the lack of on Switch.

This patch is reeeally good.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Being able to regularly enter/exit Calm (exit, not just go straight to Wrath) and having lots of card draw gives Watcher a nice source of energy, to the point where I sometimes don't need an energy relic.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

NachtSieger posted:

Always read the book imo. If you don't, you're a coward.

I like the book, but the Nilry Codex is in that Wraith Form tier of "so good, it's boring." I've seldom lost when taking it, since it lets you customize your deck to any extended encounter. Granted this is on A15 and lower.

The Necrogoblicon is great fun, though!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Mainwaring posted:

Anyone else just... not enjoy the defect that much? I have ironclad and silent up to ascension 10-11 by now but defect is still down at 3 or so and I just never feel like playing it (on switch so only played two runs as watcher but she seems great)

I love Defect. Dropping a thousand orbs is so satisfying. :orb:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

Everybody should watch this once to live the dream and then never pick Searing Blow again because it will never happen to you.

Oh my god that Heart fight :lol:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Is there anything worse than dying to blasphemy?

Dying to blasphemy when you try to be super clever and thwart it with an artifact charge. :shepicide:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

MJeff posted:

Protect+ is so great it makes Establishment one of the best rares in the game.

Establishment is so much fun if you have a Meditate or two.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ranzear posted:

I know I'm back to bitching again, but I'm really starting to think the PRNG they seed is really badly biased or terribly distributed or something.

I just died to Donu/Deca on an otherwise fantastic Foresight+/3xWeave+ run. but what stands out afterward is just like the last instance of never seeing Frost cards - I didn't see a single Cut Through Fate in the entire run, even while chasing down every shop looking for it. The only attack+scry card I managed to get was a single Just Lucky.

Didn't really screw me as hard as the prior instance, just a similar observation. Donu/Deca was just poo poo luck because I was relying on Talk to the Hand and Weaves for most of my block, and had no ready way to break their artifacts. I probably could have planned ahead better once I saw they were up though.

Auto-drawing Weaves every turn is hax. Also, if you discard them with Foresight's scry, they do pop back into your hand. Totally free draw. I only manged to get the three though, so I had a couple Follow-Ups as well.

Basically, you went chasing after That One Card that your deck needed to be viable (instead of making whatever you came across work for you), and you didn't adequately prepare for a boss that you knew would have artifact charges, which slowed your ability to gain block from Talk to the Hand. Those issues aren't the RNG's fault.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ranzear posted:

But why should I expect any discussion beyond 'lol u bad'?

There's no need for this. Your initial post was worded like a typical "RNG must broken because my plan didn't work" post that people make all the time when they lose in StS, XCOM, Fire Emblem, etc., and I pointed out two things you did (card-chasing and inappropriate boss prep) that people who often lose at this game tend to do. There's a way to be good ay this game regardless of what its RNG looks like (Jorbs didn't get like nine A20 heart kills in a row just because he had good RNG rolls), so it's tiresome when people blame the RNG for their losses.

If you wanna speculate about the RNG mechanics, then speculate about the RNG mechanics; I have no beef with that and there could be a neat conversation there. If you wanna whine about the RNG being broken, like you did at first, then people are gonna make suggestions.

You've been an rear end in a top hat in almost all of your posts in this thread. Stop being an rear end in a top hat.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Wraith Form is so good that I hate when it comes up, because it makes the game less interesting.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Ahh...this elite is so strong! Searing Blow isn't upgraded enough! I have to do it...Searing Blow +12! I hope my deck can take the strain!

(Actually wins easily, best gimmicky deck I've played in a while)

You're not alone!

https://youtu.be/JY4fe-jQEyA

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

tildes posted:

I just thought you had to be ready for every possible boss ><

As an aside, on Ascension 20 (the hardest difficulty level), you have to be prepared for any boss in Act 3, as you will fight two bosses, and only know which boss the first one will be. That's many hours away, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Just had a neat Watcher run. I got Judgement as a random rare from Duff McWhalen, and while it was initially useful, it faded into the background as I got a rather large stance dance/meditate/hella card draw deck going.

I got the Coffee Dripper at the end of Act 1, so campfire healing was out. Act 2 went alright, but I was beaten up badly halfway through Act 3 and desperately needed to heal before Donu/Deca. I routed to as many events as I could to find one that'd give me some health.

With 9 health remaining, I clicked the final event before the boss rest site... It was the Bonfire Spirits! :swoon:

I tossed Judgement into the fire and was healed to full health +10! My "ehh, fine" random rare ended up being my sacrificial victory fuel. :woop: