Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Update sounds good. I am going to have to play this more. So far, the only decks I've won with have been strength stacking ironclads. Limit break is the holy grail must-have. I'll usually run an inflame and flex to start the strength doubling off. Jaxxed is also good. I find demon form too expensive and too slow. Add in a couple pommel strikes and angers to start cycling through cards and getting a bunch of free attacks. Offering is huge if I find it, but it is usually have to settle for a battle trance or two instead. The goal is to cycle through the deck fast, doubling my strength each time, and getting a bunch of free anger attacks.

It also works well with feed, to increase max hp, or reaper, to get pretty much all your health back in one hit. Blocks are poison to the strategy, and get pruned out. I don't mind running a single impervious though.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Time Eater is still the hardest of the bosses, by far. Holy poo poo gently caress that thing. I feel like the "end your turn" and "increase health" abilities should be on separate timers.
Just beat the time eater with this deck pretty easily. Turns out necronomicon + heavy blade does a lot of damage really quickly. Add in an inflame, jax, and limit break+, and it is pretty hard to lose. At the start I picked sacrifice 50% of my health and got the offering, which I feel was a great trade. Feed had me at about 120 max hp.
https://imgur.com/a/aAy3b

Doing it again, I wouldn't have added the anger to this deck. I've won with anger strength decks before, but necroing with heavy strike did so much damage so quickly that angers weren't really necessary.

I feel like demon form is trap in a lot of strength decks. It is okay early, but it is expensive and the effect is slow.

I did notice that necronomicon + whirlwind didn't appear to be a thing. The second whirlwind would go off, but do no damage. People online talked about it as if it were a combo. Maybe it only worked in older versions?

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 30, 2018

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

It looked like whirlwind was getting triggered to me. I saw the card flash up again. It just did no actual damage.

Heavy blade was working great with the necronomicon though. Even with only moderate strength, double heavy blade+ is a lot of damage.

I usually do like having a single whirlwind in my strength decks though. The multi-hit nature synnergizes well with strength, and sometimes you really need to mess up a group of enemies.

Sloober posted:

I am also not sold on demon form as a good card when there's spot weakness/inflame/limit break. spot weakness itself is basically a better version of inflame since A) it's not a power and B) it gives more strength.
I've generally not liked spot weakness much. I would rather have inflame, which at least always works when I draw it. I've drawn spot weakness dead too many times with no attacking enemies. It is bad if you get the relic that doesn't let you see enemy intent too. If I am going to include a conditional strength card, I would rather have a flex+. Sure, you need to draw it the same turn as limit break for real value, but it least it doesn't cost energy.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 30, 2018

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just won with my first non-strength based Ironclad deck. Decided to try rolling with perfected strike. Everything was actually pretty smooth.
https://imgur.com/a/inGVx
The perfected strikes did 42 damage for 2 energy, which I realize is not exactly top tier. It is a solid 84 with double tap though. With the upgraded doubletaps, two upgraded pommel strikes, and an upgraded offering things kept moving.

I had two +1 energy per turn artifacts, giving me a nice 5 energy. Double tap was bottled, so I could rely on always starting with it. If I could double tap + pommel strike into an offering or the seeing red on the first turn I was reasonably explosive. Big fan of upgraded pommel strike in general. It is a draw engine, a powerup for perfect strike, and does a little damage on its own. I wouldn't have minded having another one in here.

I got the madnesses with a late ? in the third zone, which I spent two campfires upgrading for kicks. The strikes were all upgraded from a simplicity pick at a ? event. The only unupgraded card in the deck was the swift strike.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 31, 2018

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I suck at this game, but I finally just won with Ironclad. Hooray! Now I need to figure out the other two classes. I got lucky and an enemy in the first area dropped a limit break, so I built around that. This was my whole deck.

The strategy was hit inflame, cycle through the deck as much as possible with battle trances while using my two limit breaks, before double tap heavy blading enemies into the stratosphere. Whirlwind stuck around for any aoe clearing that needed to be done.

I need to figure out the silent, I guess. I've tried some poison decks, but I usually end up getting chipped down without the ironclad's nice regen relic thing.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 3, 2019

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I actually beat the heart for my first time the other day. Then I did it twice more. Two of the decks were ironclad snecko eye exhaust decks, and one was an ironclad barricade deck with runic dome. I figured that runic dome was okay in a deck where my gameplan every turn is 'get as much block as possible, and bodyslam if I have it'.

I managed to get to heart with a couple of silent decks, but ended up losing due to lack of defenses. I feel like, at least on the babby mode where I've been playing, that you can glass cannon your way to heart pretty well, but beating heart requires a decent defensive plan.

Edit: I just beat the heart with silent! Hooray! At every decision point I just asked myself 'what would jorbs do?', and then did that.

My first two picks of the run were a backstab and a leg sweep, which let me take on act1 elites pretty well. For later fights, it turns out nightmare + apparition, and nightmare + catalyst is pretty good. Helps that I had a toxic egg to get the apparitions upgraded as well. I actually didn't get the catalyst until the fight right before time eater, so a lot of the hallway fights and such had me nightmaring a noxious fumes or apparition and waiting it out. The fight against the stone head guy took a long time.

Now I need to get a defect heart win. Then maybe I'll start thinking about ascension levels.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am far from an expert on silent, but my best advice is

1) Upgrade neutralize early for some extra weak, unless you get something like crippling cloud immediately. Silent can't really afford to take much chip damage from fight to fight. Two or three early defensive cards are very sensible too, like leg sweep or piercing wail. Dodge and roll is great if you get some dex, but I wouldn't go nuts on them early. Cloak and dagger is also good if you are going that kind of route.

2) Pick up some generic cards that will help you though act1 elite fights early, even if they don't fit into your idea of a perfect deck. Things like backstab, dash, bouncing flask, deadly poison, and even dagger spray are reasonable things to help you not die. The deck I just beat heart with had three backstabs for frontloading some damage, even though I I was a poison deck.

3) Poison seems to be the easiest way to scale damage in the long run. There are other strategies, but they seem to be more rare reliant, or reliant on specific artifacts.

4) Removing a strike (if a curse if you picked one up) most every time you come across a shop is a a decent move, unless you have other plans for the money. I think this pretty much goes for all classes though.

Defect is the one I am trying to figure out now. I probably need to watch more jorbs videos playing him. I feel like defect has a tougher time scaling his damage in the same way that limit break, entrench, or catalyst can do for the other two classes. I probably just don't know enough yet.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 12, 2019