Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Coca Koala posted:

Okay, so here’s what feels like a dumb question but based on a lot of the discussion in recent pages I feel like it’s worth clarifying, both for my own sake and for anybody who’s reading along and too worried about looking dumb to ask.

One of my primary deckbuilding goals, for any arbitrary character, has been to go very lean - on the philosophy that you have some small number of cards you want to play which make your deck work, and everything else is chaff. Strikes do not make your deck work, and are chaff. To this end, I try to be very picky about what cards I take, and i generally aim for a deck of maybe 7-15 cards by the end. Again, this is for all characters.

Is that strategy not correct? As in, does it lower my win-rate, statistically? (My win rate is not good).

It intuitively feels correct that a smaller deck would be better; the smaller your deck, the more often you cycle through it to draw and play your good cards, and the fewer number of turns required to lay down your good powers. But you could also say that the opposite is intuitively correct - if you have a deck with fifteen good cards and three bad cards, you’re cycling through your deck slower but still drawing good cards fairly frequently.

So what’s a better general strategy? Be very choosy and only take great cards? Or be less picky, don’t take bad cards, but don’t be afraid to take good cards when you see them?

Obviously both strategies depend on understanding which cards are good, great, and bad (and recognizing when a card that might otherwise be one thing is in fact something else), but let’s take that as writ.

The thing that made me win more was when I read that the point of the game isn't to make the strongest deck possible, it's to build a deck that wins the fights you need to win. So sure, in the abstract a 15 card deck may be the strongest possible one, but it's going to be tough to get there without getting chipped down and losing in act 2. Not every card is going to be good in every fight but they don't have to be, some cards you might pick just to win one particular fight. If I'm half way through act 2 and the boss is the Champ and I don't have a good way to scale damage yet, I might pick up a Spot Weakness even though it's not my favorite card because damage scaling is a requirement to beat the champ. If I'm going into act 2 and have no AOE I'll probably grab whatever AOE cards I can get because a lot of bosses and hallway fights require AOE damage, so I might get cleave or immolate even if those aren't fantastic in act 3. Similarly, if I have a demon form and a limit break and see a second limit break I probably won't grab it. Yeah two limit breaks will let me scale up to 999 strength which is cool, but no fights require that so it's just making me draw fewer block card.

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Cold snap and ball lightning are both just insanely good cards. It's absolutely ridiculous how good these common attacks are. I mean, ball lightning deals 10 damage for one energy on turn 1. Then it's an extra 3 damage per turn after that for free, and if you ever evoke it you get another 8 damage, all for 1 energy. That's like a hemokinesis but without an HP cost and it's common. Same deal with cold snap, it's like a strike + metallicize + 5 bonus block on evoke for a 1 energy common. And they scale with focus so they are great to have (especially cold snap) even in act 3 where hemo is mostly a dead draw. They are so good that once you have a few of them, you can afford to grab a card in Act 1 that won't help much until later like Echo Form, Genetic Algorithm or Capacitor.

Coolheaded is good later on when 7 damage doesn't mean much and when you have some specific cards you really want to draw as fast as possible before you lose a bunch of HP, like Biased Cognition, Defragment, Echo Form.

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 19, 2019

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm on ascension 11 Ironclad and I feel like I just lose the run automatically if I don't get a decent energy relic at the end of Act 1.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
With Snecko eye card draw is energy. Cards like Battle Trance, Shrug it Off, Pommel Strike+ and Offering can work quite well with it even though they are low cost. Realizing that is what made it a good relic for me.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I've never had much luck with Runic Pyramid unless I have 4 energy going in or a bunch of 0 cost or energy generation cards. Without that stuff my hand just fills up with a bunch of cards I can't afford to play, and it can be a game over vs anything that puts statuses in your deck.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Conjure blade is slow scaling but it only needs one card so sometimes I'll pick it up for Champ or Awakened one if have Deva Form or Ice Cream Cone.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
If you ever don't take immolate you deserve to lose imo

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Black Star feels like a slap in the face. It theoretically lets me get another couple of relics in Act 2 but in practice I'm down 1 boss relic which means that I have to fight fewer elites and heal more. 90% of the time I feel like win/lose is decided by whether I get a decent energy relic at the end of Act 1. I just don't understand how 3 energy on Ironclad is viable in A15 with how hard everything hits.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
You unlock some cards and relics to find but it's kind of a toss up as to whether it's easier or not depending on the card. It feels like an afterthought because you'll have everything unlocked after a few runs.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is there a good modding guide out there somewhere? I want to make one so that swapping for Pandora's Box is a always a Neow option.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Yoshi Wins posted:

Here it is: https://github.com/casey-c/FilterTheSpire

The mod's creator says eventually this mod will be updated to allow you to choose other starting relics, but for now it just looks for seeds with Pandora's Box swaps. I'm gonna download this later. Pandora's is extremely fun and a great way to learn new things about the game.

Just what I was looking for, thanks!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
That's a lot of curses

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Looks good but 3x fire breathing is excessive in basically all circumstances.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Less than optimal, sure. But run ruining? That attack had a 50% chance to come before the power anyway, and some fights need front loaded damage through act 3 anyway.

Juzu Bracelet is another one that I hesitate to pick up depending on what events I've already seen and how good at hallway fights my deck is.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Hemokinesis getting buffed felt weird to me, but I'll take it!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Also nice if you have a couple of Battle Trances and Anger. I rarely take Flex but will frequently consider Flex+.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Bloodletting is good if your energy requirements outstrip your card draw, like if you picked up a few 2 cost cards in act 1 but didn't get an energy relic. Often nice with an act 1 runic pyramid. Plays nice with Blood for Blood.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
If you lack scaling it can definitely work. I mean don't try to force it but I've won with Barricade + Entrench on A20. Entrench+ is a decent card to have in a lot of situations and if you're running on 4+ energy or have Sneko Eye or some Corruption synergies then that makes Barricade pickable.

The thing I would disagree with is that you should pick up a bunch of Ghost Armor or Shrug it Off if you're doing this. You're goal is to get Barricade out and then cycle Entrench a few times, so you generally want to cut down on anything that doesn't help you do that by thinning your deck and exhausting things. You only need a couple of block cards to jump start Entrench. Impervious is especially good but Second Wind or Power Through (+evolve or exhaust) also work. FNP and Burning Pact are almost always nice to have in this sort of deck.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I have all of the achievements except Eternal One but it won't trigger, what gives?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Finally finished A20 with the Silent. My main takeaway from that run is that Wraith Form is great and two upgraded Wraith Forms with Orange Pellets is absolutely bonkers. My other standout runs tended by either poison + multiple catalysts, shivs with Kunai or shivs with Dead Branch. I never managed to get much out of the discard synergy past Act 1 unless I had Runic Pyramid. Act 1 is HARD with Silent. You almost can't take too many damage cards early. Slime Boss or Gremlin Nob will wreck you if you don't.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The Silent card that plays skills twice is insane with apparition, as is nightmare.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that card combined with a bunch of turtling/weak abilities was like the only time I've ever been able to effectively use The Bomb :v:

I think the bomb is great in act 1, I'm always happy to see it from Neow, especially for silent. It falls off in act 2 but still nice vs gremlin leader and collector.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Exhausting down to play limit break a few times and then reaper is probably 1/5 of my IC wins.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Rampage is nice against guardian and lagavulin but not great vs the other bosses and elites. Generally it shines when you can can exhaust your deck down to something small so you can play it again and again, but even then it's more of a stopgap for times when I can't find better scaling. I think it's similar to sword boomerang in that it starts out meh but can scale better later on.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I would add Meditate to the list of top tier Watcher cards.

Not a huge fan of Deva Form except with Sneko Eye. You do damage with stance dancing or divinity and both of those already give you a lot of energy. Two turns just to get energy neutral is a long time.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

John Murdoch posted:

Coincidentally, I have apparently lost my knack for IC because I've just been doing dogshit on A0 out of nowhere. Maybe it's just down to playing at 4am on a bad ADHD day, but cripes. "I have Fiend Fire and lots of exhaust synergy/FNP/block stuff I've got this easy *dies to a random Act 3 hallway fight out of nowhere*" My only guess is that my pathing has been hosed and I've been too aggressive against elites or shying away from resting a little too much.

If you have a good deck but die randomly you probably need more card draw. Offering, Evolution, Dark Embrace, Battle Trance and Burning Pact are the standouts for IC, try picking up more of those imo.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Searing Blow can solve the Champ fight if you have an armaments and some exhaust so I'll pick it up for that sometimes if I'm in mid Act 2 without some other scaling solution. Same with Dual Wield and basically any power.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I've started picking up the Seeing Red and Bloodletting more often in act 1 as Ironclad as a hedge against not getting an energy relic.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
It's nice because it gives infinite scaling for only one card pick. Solves Champ and still super good for the other Act 2 and 3 bosses. In crucial fights you can usually use a potion to get it played, an energy, skill, memory block or sneko potion often let you get it out without getting slapped too hard. And in hallway fights you can just ignore it, or if you have a reaper and some good block you can scale infinitely and heal to full. I pick it fairly often in Act 2 but I usually only play at A15 so maybe that's why.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'd take Bludgeon no question. After you upgrade it you don't really need much more in the way of damage for Act 1 so you can skip the attack commons and start making a good deck for Act 2. It lets you path more aggressively so that's more potions, gold, card choices and relics.

Corruption is crap with only defends in your deck and you can't start adding many skills until you get more damage so it's going to be penalizing you for an entire act at least.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Shandalar is a really old MTG game that I had fun with for a while. It's abandonware at this point so free if you can put up with the jank.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Do I take Tungsten Rod when I already have Combust+ and Rupture+ near the Act 1 Boss? Typing it out now I think the answer is "No" but it's such a good relic I've been sitting on this saved game for a week now.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I would smash pick Sowrd Throw every time.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is there anything that doesn't pair well with Echo Form?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Minimalist and Common Sense are both fun enough to try even without the achievement.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I need to put a sticky note on my monitor that says "Do not take limit break if you don't have strength". Same for catalyst and poison. It's so tempting but it keeps getting me killed.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is there a way to unlock characters and ascensions on Android without beating them? I just bought it there and not looking forward to going through the early ascensions with 4 characters until it gets interesting.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Bottled Immolate is awesome. I always bottle that if I get the chance.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I accidentally exhausted all of my attacks vs Guardian. But I have an entrench that I draw every turn, combust , calipers and tungsten rod and I'm sitting at 999 block. This is the dumbest way I have ever killed a boss.

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

nachos posted:

Help my win rate is poo poo because I’m addicted to pathing and executing the perfect act 1

Spend less health on elites.