Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

A lot of what will ensure a solid run is less getting a bunch of upgraded specific cards and more about being smart about your play and how you plot through the dungeon. In particular, plotting in shop stops when you have enough money to afford relics (or dodging fights when low), and multiple elites in map 1. After map 1 elites are way more risky, and some of the ordinary encounters can get really scary if you get bad draw. Maps 2/3 I focus on hitting as many '?' spots as possible after ensuring I'm not hitting an elite unless its got a rest right before it. Later maps have a higher chance of getting an upgraded card from fight rewards, which can be pretty good.

Depending on what relics you get, certain strategies go from "need to focus a bunch of cards and thin your deck to make it work" to "this'll blow the poo poo out of anything outside of hard-counter end boss". For example if you get the bandages relic (+3 armor when you discard a card), the rogue's pile of draw+discard cards suddenly get even better and you can often not even worry about playing defense cards.

Card upgrades that I prioritize are things that reduce card cost, increase debuff duration, or enhance special abilities. For example, upgrading the warrior's 'upgrade' card changes it from improving 1 card in your hand to all of them, true grit changes 'exhaust a random card' to 'exhaust a card', upgraded terror drops the cost from 1 to 0. Things that upgrade just damage are the bottom of the barrel outside of a few rare exceptions (improving heavy strike if you've already got a bunch of +str cards is a big multiplier), because the benefit of 3-5 damage is a lot less than things like having an extra energy.

Keep in mind you get a free full heal after each boss, and you can skip taking cards/potions/relics if you want. Also some end bosses are sort of hard counters to certain playstyles, but it is still possible to beat them with a deck they're strong against if you're careful and if you didn't go 110% in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Sloober posted:

I think the game needs some way to get rid of weak/vuln status, since there is at the time nothing you can do about it. Even discard a card or something to lower the counter by one would help. (Elixirs only work on cards). It's usually stacking weak/vuln that make bosses so much more annoying and makes it seem super cheap.

Technically there are relics that let you ignore weak/vuln, and I think there is a card for one of the guys that clears and exhausts. Poison doesn't care about your weak state, nor does other straight dmg stuff (reflect, powers, stuff like letter opener). At least for bosses I'm not really bothered much, but some of the late map encounters can get pretty stupid. In general I think some of the balance for random fights needs tweaking, but the bosses all have clearly gotten a lot.

@IcePheonix: generally the main way to keep deck size down is to be really picky about what cards you take, and hit up a lot of '?' events. A decent number of those can remove cards. In terms of removing cards at the merchant, I tend to prioritize buying good relics first so I don't end up removing many cards through him. If you get the peace pipe you can remove cards at a campfire.

Evolve might be the best ironclad card you can get. At minimum it removes the downsides of wounds, and the cards that generate wounds are very strong along with many enemies generating wounds as part of their deal. If you upgrade it then wound cards really read "draw 1 card" which is really good because he doesn't have many ways to draw cards. If you don't have evolve unlocked yet, upgraded true grit lets you pick the card to exhaust so it combos well with wound cards or just to remove strikes/defends.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have now lost with the Ironclad 15 times in a row.

This time it was with a Barricade-Body Blow deck that was doing really well until I ran into a nemesis and I was just not able to attack him for more than 1 damage until my deck was 60 cards with 40 of those being Burn+

Stop trying to fight elites on map 3.

Personally I really like the silent's starting relic, it lowers a ton of first round variance on random encounters. I'd take throwing away or transforming a card over trading the relic every time.

Ultra-thin synergy decks are king, but they aren't the only valid way to push a build. A ton of relics open up other styles of decks, but it is a good rule of thumb to be a bit picky. I've had plenty of success saving all my money for relics and leaving starter card removal to luck at events. Not all cards are unlocked at the start, so I'd make sure to try to build thin decks until you unlock evolve for ironclad and acro/prepared for silent.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Relics are strong but by that point your deck shouldn't live or die to the boss by a relic you're missing. If he is having trouble getting wins, dodging elites and improving his deck is a way better choice than trying to beat them with a poor deck.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I'm not a fan of taking the HP hits on the whale, I'd rather push to fight another elite on map 1 and the basic options tend to be pretty solid. Some of the deck setups are a lot harder to make work until you've unlocked some of the card/relic options as well. The best example is evolve for the ironclad makes every +wound effect read "draw an extra card", which immediately makes those cards crazy good (cards that give you wounds already are better than others for either stats or cost).

Maybe I'll sit down and make out a decent game-plan for the base card options.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I think noxious fumes is an unlock, which by itself turns a poison deck from "kind of mediocre poison options you'll need several of and maybe a relic" to "get a noxious+". She might have some discard relic unlocks that really make that style of deck go crazy (tough bandages is an unlock i think), along with the "only does something on discard" cards.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Cloak and dagger is deceptively good, it is similar to iron wave. You get your 6 block, then 1 or 2 shivs (4-8 dmg). This synergizes with any of the many "bonus on playing card/attack" cards or "play 3 attacks" relics. There is a relic that adds 3 dmg to your 0-cost cards, and the boot will make shivs do 5 dmg when not blocked. If you have an envenom (+1 poison on unblocked dmg) shivs can stack up poison pretty fast.

Another tip for silent is that if you're playing with poison rolling off an earlier-than-seems-right catalyst can make a lot of fights a ton easier. Shaving a turn off instead of trying to 1-shot enemies is much better.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Love this game, even being lovely at it.

Edit: This build ate poo poo at the Awakened One but was a lot of fun.

Some of the boss designs are really annoying to me for this exact reason. If you're really in on a certain strategy, a bad roll on the boss dice basically ends a run unless you've built it very carefully and can fill the needed gaps over the act. Like against the awakened one if you've got enough card draw to skip past your power cards (and maybe a copy or two of that card that reduces cost each time you play it) you can whittle his phase 1 down and go hog wild on powers in phase 2.

I'd rather have the boss have something that had interactions instead, like maybe using a power triggered a special attack the next round, or summoned adds that you had to deal with, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

I mean, if you had to build your deck in one specific way to win, that would be a poorly designed boss.

It isn't that you have to build your deck in one specific way to win, it is that decks involving that mechanic (heavy card draw and low cost cards) will have a ton of trouble. Or for another example, if you want to do a super heavy power deck with defect (and leverage some of the many cards+relics he has built around that mechanic) you basically accept that if you draw the awakened one that you're probably going to just lose.

So the issue is they give you the tools to build decks that function quite differently from a lot of the standard decks which can go through the rest of the game just fine, and then you've got a chance that the last boss is just "nope you built a fun deck and rolled 33%, better luck next time".

I mean, I've limped through both bosses with decks they were strong against by only being maybe 75% in on whatever thing and playing really carefully, but it wasn't fun or rewarding. Instead it was a tiring fight where I had to actively avoid doing the things my deck was built to do. That feeling is pretty in contrast with the rest of the game, which is quite enjoyable, and I think that is why you see complaints about it (also the person doesn't remember drawing not time eater and blowing him up with their shiv deck as much as getting cock blocked by the game).