Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Okay, when it comes to discarding cards, I'm a little confused - how do you guys manage to discard so many? I'm lucky if I got to discard, like, four by the end of act 2, and then naturally lose to the final boss (whichever).

Honestly, any guide at all when it comes to archetypes would be helpful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

PMush Perfect posted:

Do you mean from your hand or from your deck? From your deck, the merchant sells card removal.

That's how I get 4 to begin with.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

It's so depressing to hear you guys talk about winning first try, winning repeatedly, etc., where I'm still trying to be proud of my lone poison Silent win across tons of games. :smith: Any youtubers or guides that would be handy at learning deck building or, really, tactical play?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Defensive builds with Demon Form are so much fun holy gently caress

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Zephro posted:

In my limited experience poison silent can be pretty consistent (though I've only managed Ascension 7 so far). Basically you just want to grab a bunch of defensive cards - Footwork, Cloak and Dagger, Backflip, Dodge and Roll and Blur in particular. Then you're just waiting for Noxious Fumes. If it just won't show up, start prioritising shops - I think I've only had one or two runs where I haven't managed to get one by Act 3. If you can't find one early you can grab some Deadly Poisons or Poison Stabs to tide you over. You can also try grabbing some other powers that work well with high armour, like Caltrops, Infinite Blades or (sometimes) Thousand Cuts. You're basically shooting for a hyper-defensive deck that runs powers as its main damage source. Cards I usually keep an eye out for: Cloak and Dagger, Backflip, Dodge and Roll, Blur, Leg Sweep, Footwork, Noxious Fumes, Caltrops, Infinite Blades, After Image. Maybe a copy of Piercing Wail if I'm struggling. I sometimes take Bane (once I have a poison setup), Die Die Die, or Backstab, but they're lower priority than defensive cards.

Upgrade priorities are Fumes, Footwork, and then the armour cards.

Always choose an energy relic at the A1 boss if you can.

I am probably bad and this is wrong advice but it's worked OK for me so far.

Yeah I consistently win with Silent, my (unclear) point was just that's the ojnly character I know how to consistently win with.

AttackBacon posted:

StS is a pretty classic Dunning-Kruger situation where until you are at an "elite" level it's difficult to evaluate your own play and the play of others. There's a lot of stuff a good player is doing that most players aren't even considering. Things like actually checking your draw pile and calculating how much damage you have left in your deck and making decisions based on that. Or even something as simple as having complete knowledge of the enemy mechanics and AI. The thing is that you first have to realize that you can do/learn all of these things and you then have to actually do them. Which slows down the game and requires legitimate mental effort.

Chance definitely plays a part but you have a ton of control over most of the game and can mitigate an immense amount of bad luck by making good decisions. It just takes more "work" than most people are willing to invest (myself included, I ain't doing most of this poo poo, I just brute force runs because I'm tired and just want to chill). But as streamers like JoINrbs demonstrate, it's definitely possible to win the vast majority of your games (even at Ascension 15 which is way harder than default StS) by putting in the work.

Despite being complete poo poo at the game, I completely agree with this. I feel like I can plan better and do better, just not sure where to start. Like when I don't draw defense cards I shouldn't mutter "That's unlucky" to myself, really I should go "why the hell didn't I stack defense argh should have retained that defense card pissssssssssss"

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

I like watching Joinrbs because he's fun and smart and don't need my streamers to cater to my every whim. Similarly, I watch munchdown because she's fun and smart and also doesn't cater to chat's every whim.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

eleven extra elephants posted:

Great post, but am I reading this right, you can see what the act boss will be before you get there?

Yep, at the start of every act.

e: f,b

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Gyshall posted:

But I only ever take the boss option

oh no, only a free rare relic

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Someone earlier in the thread talked about it better, but I also embrace the whole "each player needs to go through the learning process of pick-every-card, keep-your-deck-super-small, actually-you-should-pick-cards-a-lot

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Countblanc posted:

static discharge is a card

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

It's so good, because you see a 45 minute runtime and think he'll just get rolled by Slime Boss or something :allears:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

I have never seen a popular streamer be so loving negative and hostile to their chat as Jorbs. It's almost impressive. He'll sigh loudly and say "I've already answered this question twenty times today" and then give some completely noncommittal and condescending answer about whatever the topic is. Like dude, if you don't wanna answer the question, don't. His engagement with his chat makes him look like such a huge twat, and that's even knowing how awful twitch chat can be.

I watched some of his video on why he hates backseating and it helped explain some of his irritation at questions that he's answered before and that kind of thing - he doesn't see his stream as an educational run or a run where he's really breaking things down, that's what he creates supplemental content on YT for (the super long videos where he overexplains character mechanics or even cards). He feels the stream is a casual hangout while he plays a game, and he wants his community to enjoy discussing the run and engaging him and the rest of the community. He also emphasizes that he views his community as the biggest strength of his stream.

I think it makes a lot of sense, it's just atypical of the usual Twitch streamer. I respect it anyway. Also it's hilarious when he gets tilted at someone telling him to buy a fire pot.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Never enter wrath if you can't guarantee your exit strategy, or dont have sustainable wrath block.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

never. embrace the :orb:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

No rainbow?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Ranzear posted:

Are you one of those sort who can play Silent without being bored to tears? We probably have vastly different approaches to this game.

I hate playing Silent but this is a bad post. If your chief complaint was not being able to get frost orbs, and you turned down a really good solution to that problem because "gently caress silent"(????), then, well.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

My games average around 50 minutes and I play way too fast. It's not really playing the actual cards which takes time, it's making sure you're making the right move for the turn.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

KonvexKonkav posted:

I haven't had a winning run where I had 21 cards or less tbh. Most of the time I end up between 25 and 30 cards.

I just got a big win on ASC 18 Ironclad with fuckin 45 cards. Go big or go home.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

I'm frozen in permanent paralysis trying to decide if I should take a second wraith form, without orange pellets.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

I took tools of the trade instead :negative:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

jetz0r posted:

You done hosed up, boy.

Wraithform is a powerhouse in acts 2, 3, and 4. Upgrade it and it takes care of all blocking for 3 turns, giving you 4 turns to finish up a fight with very low risk. Or play more intangible stacks.

Act 1 is going to be mostly fine with basic defend cards to stay alive, plus your deck is going to be too lovely to win with just 2 turns of intangible. But as you get higher in the spire, the amount you need to block increases while your deck gains the offensive power to close out fights quickly when you don't need to spend energy on defense. This is the same reason Corruption is so good. Being able to spend all your energy on winning instead of spending on staying alive while winning is very strong strategy.

I always take the first one. But a second or third I feel are increasingly burdens, because it gives you free hallway fights, but, well, when you're dumping 3 energy into it for a third of 9 turns, the boss/elite you're fighting will have 58 damage on that 10th turn.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

:negative:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

I took star and tried to do book of stabbing followed by rest followed by gremlin leader

I made it as far as gremlin leader :negative:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

The RNG taketh away, and the RNG giveth.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Every once in awhile, you get the Perfect Map, and have a good chance at two elites, including an emerald key one. That makes it EVEN MORE of a slam pick.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

In act 1, assuming I'm going for the Transient cheevo (so went down to ASC 1 from ASC 20), is this a snap Omniscience pick? I'm hesitating just because of how good all these cards are.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

I still haven't done the 25 focus one. How do you even pull that off without getting wildly lucky with card drops?

Don't need to be that lucky. Echo Form and any of the +focus cards can get you there pretty quick, especially consume.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

I just noticed I haven't got Neon yet. Time to give it a go, the Common Sense one has been giving me some frustration.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

save scumming to never have to do math seems like the morally righteous option actually

Unironically agree, I feel like cards should only "lock in" when card draw becomes involved (and ideally never if you have Golden Eye).

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

MJeff posted:

MegaCrit: We will implement this simply quality of life feature!
[2 days later]
MegaCrit: So, 98% of our Defect runs that have Awakened One have been immediately abandoned.

it's really funny to me how afraid people are of making the awakened one Mad Online

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

that's incredible

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Really the game should have an "undo" button for cards played until A) you hit End Turn or B) you invoke something that shows you information you wouldnt have, like card draw

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

born on a buy you posted:

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.

You didn't grow.
You didn't improve.
You took a shortcut and gained nothing.

You experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that you don't know the difference.
always good to revisit the classics

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

shaking with rage, imagining any of the ascension 20 wins here could have had someone click wrong once and ruin the entire run.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

I've now gotten clears with the Silent and the Defect but I can't do anything with the Ironclad. I dunno if its because the gameplay is so different...the shortage of block cards make it difficult if a boss just rolls out a huge hit and you can't do anything to stop them.

Feels easier for the other two classes to chain together a ton of cards, keep making energy, drawing, etc until you just overwhelm your opponents with card advantage. Can't really do the same with the Ironclad which I can't get a handle on.

The approach with the Ironclad is much less "overwhelm with cards" (which has diminishing returns anyway), it's more "maximizing damage to kill your opponent". You should consider health a resource just like energy and card draw when playing Ironclad, since your starting relic gives you 6 HP after a fight - it's worth not blocking if you end the fight that much earlier and prevent a boss's scaling, or worse damage.

Of course, block decks are definitely doable too with Ironclad, but they're harder/luckier to put together.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Yoshi Wins posted:

Barricade was the most common win condition in Lifecoach's 50 a20 Ironclad games, where he won 64% of his games, a record Ironclad win rate. He considers it Ironclad's best late game card.

Now, this game is so complex that I take nothing as gospel, even an opinion from the strongest player. After all, Jorbs downplayed the viability of Barricade repeatedly, and at that time, he was the strongest known player. There is still a lot truth to be discovered in this game. But Barricade is most certainly viable at ascension 20. You really want big block ability to be in the deck already before you take the Barricade, though.

It's honestly really cool that Lifecoach has upturned so much of jorbs' established wisdom so far.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

we talked about how lifecoach subverted the way the game expects you to scale your deck, it's because he uses "time spent taking turns" as his scale mechanism

i love him for it

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

me: ive got to concentrate on keeping my decks slim and not taking cards I don't need

Also me: haha dead branch go brrrr

absolutely no moment beat when I was in trouble in the 2x Orb Walker/rare relic fight and dead branch popped a loving playable Grand Finale+

E) though getting Mind Blast when my deck was like 35 cards already on the first try from the match-a-card event was close

questions aside that's a relatively normal sized deck
e: basically anything > 40 or < 20 is out of the ordinary

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Tomorrow we get to see two slay the spire streamers attempt to break the world record. I'm pretty hype about it, though nervous since Baalor has Silent next, one of the weakest characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

This deck is kind of all over the place imho. Tons of darkness combined with electric orb generation combined with.. a physical build? You're always gonna have a hybrid deck going into the heart fight because what you need to survive in act 1 isn't what you need in act 3, but with 41 cards you need a way to get what you need whenever you can, and this deck only has seek+(great), impatience(can be ok when it plays), and compile driver (requires other stuff to come into play first).