Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Picked this up in the Steam Summer Sale. I was worried I wouldn't like it, since I bounced hard off of Night Of The Full Moon and other STS clones, but it's really good.

I have the first 3 classes unlocked, and I finally made it to the 3rd dungeon today with The Silent. Bullet Time and two Innate After Image+ really helped. Also, so did having the whale upgrade all Strike and Defend cards at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

Erm... That's not a Neow bonus. Do you mean you got the event while climbing?

Maybe? Probably? I dunno...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

About to fight the first floor boss, and the shop right before it is selling both Mercury Hourglass and Bronze Scales. I'm playing The Slient, and I already have PvZ Happy Flower, Toxic Egg, and Ornamental Fan. I only have 265 Gold, or I'd buy both.

The Boss will be The Guardian. Which one should I go for?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I went with Scales, and made it to the Boss of Act 3, who turned out to be Time Keeper. Died because he had a 19x3 attack queued up, and I had no +Defense cards. Got him under 50% life, though, and I now have everything unlocked on The Silent, so I'll take it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I am so bad at this game.

I have one Unlock left, for the Defect, and I've yet to beat the game (though I have made it to the Act 3 boss 2 or 3 times).

Still, the game is so fun that I don't even care!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Finally got my very first win!

On a whim, I said gently caress it, and chose to replace my starting Artifact, and ended up with Snecko Eye. Lee's Waffle gave me the full heal I needed (I was sitting on 4 HP), letting me make it to Deca & Donu. Then I channeled every bit of Frost I could. Thanks to Inserter, I was getting 50+ Defense every turn. I also ended up with 2x Echo Form from Creative AI, and I had a Focus Potion, so that also helped.

Now it's time to try to figure out how to play Watcher...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Zephro posted:

Consider the game as an n-dimensional optimisation problem where n is some enormous number then solve it all in your head, or with a pencil if you're feeling fancy

Sounds like DragonDarch

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Slay The Spire is dead. Long live Royal Booty Quest!

And unlike that heathen Slay The Spire, Royal Booty Quest is available on iTunes AND Android!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just played a run checking out the new A Better Third Choice mod, and the The Nest event added a new relic:

Ritual Mask - Start combat with 1 Ritual; Start combat with a full hand of Madness instead of drawing normally

Then I got Dead Branch... :getin:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Deckit posted:

Some of the beta art for Watcher is really good. Study, Establishment, Scrawl, Conjurer. Memes and animes.

The team that made The Hermit also made Beta Art for their cards, and it also has some memes in it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Silent is my weakest class. I feel like maybe I'm picking up too many powers, or picking them up at the wrong tjme? I don't know which block to prioritize, same with draw. I'm really a mess with silent and my wins come off the back of a strong poison deck with block. Anything else I lose hard.

Not sure how much help this will be, but here's something from earlier in the thread:

KonvexKonkav posted:

Silent has some fine scaling cards, but one issue is more that one of the main ways that Silent can scale (playing lots of low-cost cards) is severely punished by the Heart and Time Eater. Much more significantly, the ratio of trash to useful cards is significantly higher for Silent than for the other classes. Let's look at the rares for example: They are

1000 Cuts (mediocre scaling)
Adrenaline (very good, but not as good as Offering)
After Image (pretty good most of the time)
Alchemize (just bad unless you have Bark or Belt, then it's mediocre)
Bullet Time (sometimes good, often not so much)
Burst (great)
Corpse Explosion (very good damage)
Die Die Die (good early on, later not so much)
Doppelganger (lol)
Envenom (a bit like 1000 Cuts, mediocre scaling)
Glass Knife (very powerful frontloaded damage)
Grand Finale (way too complicated to play, like a terrible version of Alpha)
Malaise (GREAT)
Phantasmal Killer (mostly trash, sometimes ok)
Storm Of Steel (see Phantasmal Killer)
Tools Of The Trade (only worthwile if you have discard synergy)
Unload (good with discard synergy or in Act 1, later not so much)
Wraith Form (best card in the game)

So there are at most 5 cards that I'd consider slam picks out of 16, there are many very situational cards and there are 5 cards that are pretty much trash. That's a very bad ratio compared to the other classes and I haven't even gone into absolutely worthless stuff like unupgraded Reflex or Prepared. All in all, in my experience it happens far too often with Silent that I'll look at a card reward screen and get 3 card choices that are worthless for my deck. Compare this to Watcher where I often want to take all 3 cards :negative:. Thanks for listening to my meltdown, I'll have a Coke and a Wraith Form please.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

More beta patchnotes

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Is this in live or beta? Also, any sense on how long until these updates will hit the iOS version?

It's live. No idea on iOS getting the update, sorry.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Now if we could just get them to dump the publisher they're using for Android, and get a new one, we'd be good.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yoshi Wins posted:

No. The Android release is taking forever is the issue there, I think.

Yeah. Every time someone asks about the Android version, the reply is always that they're just waiting for the publisher to publish it.

No idea who the publisher for Android is, but they apparently hate money, since they aren't publishing the game.

Publish.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Andrast posted:

I'd prefer it if they didn't balance the game around a person who takes approximately a billion hours to finish a run

Frankly, if it takes you that long to finish a turn, this isn't the game for you.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Regarding Watcher, from August:

KonvexKonkav posted:

What sticks out immediately is that you basically picked up no block except for Halt+ and Empty Body. That will get you destroyed later on when enemies have more HP and regularily hit for 40+ damage. Also, there are too many 0-cost cards that don't do much like Weave and Just Lucky. In general, it's tempting to just take lots of attacks to burst the enemy down because this is a very good strategy early in the run, but this stops working in Act 3 at the latest. By then, you sort of need to pivot towards a deck that blocks and scales most of the time and then has some turns where it deals lots of damage. Try picking up cards like Wallop, Talk to the Hand, Spirit Shield, Protect, Mental Fortress, Like Water. These are the really good Watcher block cards that come to mind immediately.

By the way, I don't know if you already did this, but if you've a Lesson Learned, you should try to end every fight with it (again, having lots of block helps with this). I had runs where I upgraded my entire deck this way (with the help of the Act 2 "upgrade Strikes+Defends" event).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hackan Slash posted:

This is the best QoL mod for StS https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1615430126

It's so good that they even incorporated it into Monster Train

It really is the best mod.

I also like:
Block Reminder
Colored Map
Colored Powertips
Highlight Paths
Minty Spire
Rare Cards Sparkle

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

Thank you everyone for the feedback. The most obvious thing is that I'm severely undervaluing relics, most particularly in Act I. I don't think it's so much that I'm shying away from Act I elites as much as I'm over-prioritizing campfires to upgrade the cards I get during that run, which could be hamstringing me later on. I'll do some relic-hunting runs and see where that gets me.

I'm still scared of Act 2/3 Elites. Just about every time I've tried one I get completely wrecked.

I watched Jorbs' Ironclad overexplain run and learned quite a bit. The run itself was kinda weird -- he got Dead Branch mid-Act II which completely changed the game -- but of course it's about the banter more than the run itself.

Thanks again everyone for the help :)

Here's some more Ironclad advice from earlier in the thread:

Zephro posted:

Strength and Exhaust are Ironclad's two scaling mechanics. There are more options for Strength than Demon Form. Spot Weakness, Inflame and Limit Break are all decent cards. They may look underpowered compared to some of the other scaling mechanics but one thing to realise is that extra damage is much more efficient than extra block, which is often wasted. If an incoming attack is hitting you for 20 then there is no advantage to having 30 block instead of 20. On the other hand hitting a mob for 30 instead of 20 is almost always good. Also, a lot of the Ironclad's cards gain extra benefit from Strength - Twin Strike, Sword Boomerang, Heavy Blade, Whirlwind, Pummel etc all multi-dip on the stat.

Anyway, I had the same problem as you for a while. What fixed it for me was realising I needed to prioritise offence a lot more than I was doing. Ironclad *can* go super-defensive with Barricade, Entrench and the like, but generally his block options are not as good as Silent or Defect so trying to make it work is a bit of a crapshoot.

So instead lean into your class mechanics. A lot of your attacks hit hard and apply useful debuffs like Weak or Vulnerable. Burning Blood can heal you for 100+ over the course of a run, so you can think of it as 3 free campfires. And in a way offence is the best defence, because dead monsters can't hit you. Start taking more Uppercuts or Fiend Fires or Immolates and stuff, play less defensively and see how you get on. I was stuck on low Ascensions for a long time until the mindset switch clicked.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Countblanc posted:

even if you don't understand how to really build great desks

What, something like this?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i decided to just play a normal game and lmao i'm just smashing through it without any trouble

Yeah, I accidently forgot to set A17 yesterday, I was wondering why I was just blasting through everything. Once I realized, I felt really dumb.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nullsmack posted:

I wonder what took so long, I didn't think that would ever come out.

Every time they were asked about it on reddit, they said the delay was coming from the publisher...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Somewhat related to this thread.... Does anyone know what kind of chair Baalorlord has?

All I know is that it's basically a family heirloom. It's been in his family for a long time. It's entirely possible that it's not made anymore.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Verviticus posted:

am i missing something about foreign influence? nobody seems to pick it but its basically an attack potion once upgraded, except it can give you all sorts of cool poo poo that watchers can't get. i dunno how many times i've yanked out a sunder or something and cleaned house with it

Baalorlord just did an A20 Watcher Run and he took it. He also ended up with all 3 Eggs and Warped Tongs and a thick deck.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MJeff posted:

1 Miracle
1 Vigilance
2 Strikes
30 Tantrums
2 Defends

Someone who is good at Spire please help me, my Watcher is dying

Spend less on Tantrums

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Wait… Do you only have to beat Act 3 to clear an Ascension? Act 4 is actually optional?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Once I embraced the Exhaust mechanic, and stopped seeing it as, "I can't play this card again this battle? But what if I really need it again?", and started seeing it as, "This will power me up and let me end this battle quicker", Ironclad ran a lot more smoothly for me.

I still need to let go of RPG Hoarding Syndrome when it comes to Potions, though. I tend to save them for the End Of Act Boss Fights, because, "This is really good so why should I waste it on this Elite?".

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Battle France

This took me a moment to parse. Battle Trance? Nay! Battle France! :france:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Walla posted:

Speaking of Baalorlord, this is just to troll the rest of us.

If you're not clicking, he does a boss swap into Pandora's Box abd gets 7 meteor strikes and wins on A20. Act 4 is just unfair.

That was disgustingly hilarious!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

For Silent, what are the cards/relics to get/avoid for the "perfect" Shiv and "perfect" Poison decks?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Shamelessly stolen from Reddit

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I have to ask how many runs did it take you guys to first successfully complete a run, cause this is run 20 now and it's starting to just plain be frustrating, doesn't help that most of my losses don't feel like I lost because of some great error on my part but rather just bad RNG and unfair game design, or that since at this point I usually can make it to somewhere in Act 2 before something screws me over that means at least a half hour to two hours of my time gets consumed for no tangible results

So maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds to me like you're a new player.

If that's correct, you're pretty much going to lose a lot at first. There are a lot of good Cards and Relics that aren't available until you've played enough games and unlocked them. Each time you finish a game (win or lose), your Score is added to a bar that, when full, will unlock more things.

Once you have everything unlocked, you'll start to get the tools you need to start winning more frequently.

Unless, of course, you're like me, and Bad At Video Games™. I can't beat A1. On any character. :downs:

Just keep trying, and feel free to share seeds and result screens. There are plenty of goons here who will give you great advice!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Meanwhile, I can't beat A1, and I'm starting to question how I managed to unlock Ascension in the first place…

I Am Very Bad At Video Games.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

I feel the need...

The need for seed

Here's one I just did. Made it to The Collector, and got whomped. Probably due to poor card choices.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Would you pick Snecko if it rolled 0-2 but didn't have any built-in bonus draw?

I never remember that it has +2 draw, and almost never take it, so, no?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

From the Slay The Spire reddit

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

Hermit is pretty good.

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Cursed is a fun playthrough. A little on the strong side but not immediately OP.

I like these two, and also The Blackbeard. It's like an alternate take on Defect, equipping Weapons in Orb Slots instead of Orbs. They add a little extra damage, and have a limited use. Once they hit 0 Duability, they're automatically unequipped. Also, it supports the best mod, Googly Eyes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Here's a STS Feelgood moment.

Over on reddit, someone posted that they got their 8 year old son into the game, and then came home from work to find he had drawn some cards he'd like to see in the game.

And so, a modder created those cards. Used the kid's drawings as the artwork, and even kept the misspellings. :3:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just tried out Downfall, and :piss:

I don't know why I avoided it for so long. I guess I just thought everyone was over selling it. But no, it's really damned good.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

After several more runs I suspect there's something REALLY POWERFUL you can pull off with Hermit but it either requires a lot of drafting to put it all together or it's something that's not readily apparent from the cards I'm seeing.

Load your deck up with as many curses as you can, and bottle Grudge+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's a mod, they won't be able to port it. Your best shot is streaming it to mobile via Steam Link.

Even though it's also a DLC for the game, with its own steam page? I don't know how it works with things like that, so I would also have expected it to be able to be ported.