Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
snecko eye is dangerous for watcher, because retained cards get stuck in your hand with inflated costs. Stance dancing needs those cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Carados posted:

I would like to tell everyone that Snecko in French is Geckobra, which is a much better name.

Its what made me realize that snecko is a portmanteau of Snake and Gecko.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Reaper is a draw card. It allows you to heal damage that you got when you didn't draw the block you needed.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Color Printer posted:

please tell me i'm not the only one who has ever drawn three auto-shields in one turn and then suddenly realized they're a goddamn moron

edit: oh my god it happened again. thankfully that time it was on the turn i obliterated the time eater with a ton of lightning orbs. made to A4 with a character, so far i'm at A3 with ironclad and silent, A4 with defect, and only A1 with watcher

I try not to pick up more than one auto shields for that reason. It also plays poorly with echo form since the copied form gets you no block.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Jedit posted:

That's not greed, that's just wrong. On anyone except Ironclad you are nearly always better off losing 7 max HP. You won't be going below 8HP in most fights that you win, and it makes other events deal less damage.

I would have thought ironclad would be best to choose less max hp. Losing 7 mhp means two less healing per rest site, and ironclad has more flat healing from relic and sometimes reaper.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Can you build a successful defect deck with reprogram? All of my successful runs involve either decent amounts of focus gain or absurd power spam. The trade off you get for giving up focus seems way too weak. If it matters, I'm on A20, but don't care if I can beat the heart with the deck.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

Almost beat my first run and that goddamn dog came back to life and wrecked me.

Yeah, I definitely remember the first time facing him and learning he revives. You’ll be ready for it next time.

In other news, I finally took down A20 starting the run with 2x sunder+, adding frost, then powers in the late game. Interesting deck, and a little-used card for me. That leaves silent and watcher for me.

TacoNight fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 3, 2020

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

No Wave posted:

1.) boss relic swap on watcher is the best boon by far
2.) protect is a mediocre to bad card in especially in act 1
3.) worship is a straight up throw

I'm bad with watcher, it's my worst class at the moment. I tried 1) on the last two runs and got a coffee dripper and runic dome and I lost Act I with both (A12). For the coffee dripper run, I took too much damage from gremlin nob. How do I pass without taking a ton of damage? I can't sit back and block until I sculpt a perfect 1 turn kill, since that just scales his strength. I look at a hand with with Eruption and 1 or 2 strikes, but I can't finish him this turn, so I'm just plinking for 6 to 12 damage. I didn't have much hope for the runic dome run, slime boss got me after I split it too early.

Also, 3). "straight up throw", does that mean it's a good card or a bad card?

TacoNight fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 3, 2020

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Zvahl posted:

I'd say that throw in that context meant bad, because worship is a very bad card.

like that lovely shark said take attacks early on for literally everyone, it's the way to get through act 1, and even though watcher is pretty busted strong if you just take third eye early on it will do gently caress and all against nob. empty fist and flying sleeves are good things likely to pop up early.

also you sound pretty new so never take runic dome, i regret taking it every time and I'm up to near 1000 hours

Except defect, where you should get a good block card early in Act I. I was having trouble dying early on defect runs at A19, and realized I was playing it too much like the other classes. Watched the first 3 minutes of Jorbs overexplaining defect, took that advice, and my runs started making it to act 3.

I already don't take runic dome. My post was discussing boss relic swaps for watcher, which is where I got it.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Whew, finally got A20 with the three base classes, just finished silent. There were a ton of failures, I had to relearn how to get out of act I. Then I got a strong start + strong act I relic and by Act 3 the game was a breeze. Preserved insect as a gift from Neow is such a powerhouse.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

One of my sons just beat it and got the spirit poop, both for the first time, and I can't decide which has him more excited.

I still have that as a gray relic. I can’t stand having them disappointed at me and always hope to give them something better than a strike.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Dancer posted:

There is only one final boss :smug:

Get a load of this guy that hasn't found the real ending...

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Pantograph is so very nice for the double boss.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Can someone tell me about hyperbeam? I just managed to lose with snecko eye, bottled echo form, 4x hyperbeam, because I couldn't generate block when needed (nemesis and giant head)

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

But, 35 damage, that's so much damage.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Flex+ is generally not a great card, and regular flex is bad. You had a lot of ways to gain strength in that deck. For a longer boss fight, upgrading demon form and letting it do its thing is often good enough. A few more shrug it off or other good defense would help let you scale. Also you should remove strikes before you remove defends.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

It's my first time with a dropkick infinite deck, thanks to a boss swap astrolabe giving me dropkick, burning pact, and rampage.

What do I need to do to beat the heart with this? (A20)

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

That's a lot of ways, and I certainly did pass up a rage along the way. I was looking for the clay or tungsten rod, but had forgotten that abacus existed. I was planning to lean on rampage if I got time eater, but I strategically got the other two Act 3 bosses.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

How possible would it be to use Slay the Spire mechanics as the basis for a combat system in a tabletop system. It would be with a smaller group of 3 players, who love card games and would get a big kick out of the deck building aspects. Are there game systems out there that do this (or group-based deck builders that I should look at that would be interesting with group members being separately controlled)?

The problems that I see in doing this:
1. Slay is 1v1 or 1v Few, so there is no wizard hiding in the back. One could live with that change and make sure everyone is getting attacked frequently.
2. What is the role of tactical positioning? It can be abstractly included in the block cards (standing back with shields up, dodging backwards with fancy footwork). One also needs to limit the power of multi-attacks to a few enemies at a time, which could be one use for a combat grid.
3. How do the players interact in combat? Can they block for one another? They'll at least benefit from each other applying debuffs, so each character can specialize more than in the real game.
4. Random choices need to be reduced for time reasons. No more exhausting/discarding a random card. Goodbye sword boomerang. But then lightning orbs would need a full rework.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Yoshi Wins posted:

Self damage + Self-forming Clay is wonderful.

Also, I love Brimstone. People will tell you it's not viable against the Heart on ascension 20, but they're wrong! Don't listen to them. You probably have to kill it by turn 5, but that's totally doable.

Multiple copies of Disarm+ is very helpful in pulling this off.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

I finally got the new 2.1 patch, and love the upgrades to shiv powers. Got to bottle an accuracy+ along with a ninja scroll, so came out swinging on fights. Also had a shuriken, which was good but nothing stellar even though it seems like it should be the perfect deck for it.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Another piece of advice on higher ascensions: yes it's good to take offense, but defect starts the most offensive, with ongoing lightning and dualcast hitting for a whopping 16 damage, and least defensive, since silent blocks and ironclad heals. Before your first elite you need to take offense cards and a good block card like charge batteries, leap, reinforce if you can get it.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

How did that work? I don't see any scaling. The perfected strikes were doing 39 each with inflame. Was it pen nib wizardry?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Died twice in a row as defect versus +str book of stabbing.
"I guess I ought to skip super elites in act 2."
Next run is going great with echo form, runic pyramid, nice upgraded block cards.
"What are the chances?"
I have now died three times in a row versus +str book of stabbing.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is there a general rule-of-thumb for what's the best option for the whale, by the way?

What's best is hard to tell and they have a range of risk vs reward tradeoffs. Jorbs says boss relic swap is the most powerful, I think Lifecoach is of the same opinion. But that's at their skill level. I dislike the swap because some of the duds make the run no fun for me and I usually miss the starter relic.

I tend to favor the lower risk rewards like get a relic or gold rather than transform or a free rare which can give what is effectively a curse act I (barricade or corruption comes to mind).

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

SettingSun posted:

It's the little things that amuse me. Choose...

[Lose all gold; Gain rare relic]

Gained: Old Coin -- upon pickup, gain 300 gold.

Thanks I guess, Neow.

I love paying the beggar 85 gold for old coin. Feels like capitalism.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Rupture+ was buffed recently. That's the first thing I saw as a priority upgrade. You've got upgrades on iron wave, pummel, and sword boomerang. Last two are nice with akebeko/boot, but I would give them all low priority generally. I would have wanted to upgrade fiend fire, hoping to play it twice with exhume.

Your deck doesn't have much strength generation, nor a block engine or any infinite loops I can see? Also, there doesn't seem to be much to clear artifact charges and keep Donu/Deca vuln to make the most of paper phrog.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

How much gold was all that? Even with courier and card, that's gotta add up.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Verviticus posted:

about 1150? and yeah i had courier and card and the thing that makes removal 50 so i didnt even have to blow much on that aspect. none of the cards were good cause my deck was already good enough so i just clicked a bunch of cheap relics for the hell of it

edit: 1343 gold after the normality event

I've never not picked the Act I boss fight, but I can grudgingly accept that 999 gold was a good pickup in such a situation.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

I would have imagined that this forum of all places would respect a streamer with a "read the room and the faq before posting" policy

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It is also good to take both the bites and intangibles events in succession when they appear in a row.

Easier to full heal each fight when you have 29 max hp.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Looks like the chat between Baalorlord, Jorbs, and Terrence is happening at 4pm PST today.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

mcvey posted:

Did anything interesting come out of the Baal/Jorbs/Terrence chat?

Baal currently has a 69% winrate, which was deemed "nice".

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

I also only saw parts of it.

One interesting question they tackled was "can defect win without focus, and what does that look like?" I think it was a winning run of Terrence that had Jax, Bites defect with no focus. Jorbs said he computed the probabilities of getting focus from fights, question marks, and shops at various points through the act and has adjusted accordingly to improve his focus chances.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

With dead adventurer, you get a normal sentries fight, a normal nob fight, or an instant debuff lagavulin fight. What the heck? Thankfully, I have now learned that reading the text will indicate which fight is coming up.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

You could spend one year between each card pick carefully mapping out every scenario possible. You'd end up with a higher winrate then coach but it wouldn't mean your more skilled, just that your more willing to throw away your life for useless streamer clout.

It's not that simple. I certainly couldn't pull it off without first getting much better at the game. Being rewarded for spending so long on picks is a sign of him having a deep understanding of the game and skill level. All of the top level players are factoring in tons of experience and insight that goes beyond raw computation.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

WarpedLichen posted:

If you would take one relic to add to the boss relic pool in place of Tiny House, what would it be?

Orange pellets, since it has such absurd synergies with very powerful cards and potions. Bummer if you boss swap into it, but still better than swapping into a busted crown.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

I also really like watching Jorbs stream. For those watching streaks, Jorbs just tied Terrence's 13-win rotating streak. Next up is ironclad.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Malaise and piercing wail are also very strong pickups versus the heart as they can neuter the multi-attacks and weaken the single attacks. Well-laid plans help you have them when you need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Hackan Slash posted:

If you can beat act 2 you can get to the act three boss.

Reptomancer exists and is a separate challenge. Sometimes giant head ends runs.