Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Two things I learned:

Evolve is the best draw engine in the game.

Double Tap doesn't work with Fiend Fire. It's an attack, c'mon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

KataraniSword posted:

Technically it does work, but since you have no more cards in your hand it can't do damage for all the no cards you exhaust.

Double Tap/the Necronomicon work wonders on Fiend Fire if you also have the Dead Branch or Dark Embrace. Then it becomes a murder machinegun, doubly so if you also have Charon's Ashes.

Also in my experience Evolve is too good a draw engine, since whenever I play it I end up maxing out my hand like every turn.

Bleeeeh, that's true, isn't it, it duplicates the card, not the damage.

I bought the game yesterday, I can consistently make it to the end of Act 2 and then die to either my own fuckups (see above) or getting triple cultists into some other bullshit.

edit: haha, with the relic that deals damage every time cards get exhausted the sentries mini-boss just kills itself

Dias fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 17, 2018

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I got a win!

You know what's really strong? Snecko Eye + Necronomicon.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...does necro work off base cost or confused cost?

Confused cost. You can Bludgeon for 2 after a 0 fragile effect, which is pretty dumb.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
How do you draft Silent. I can get good runs but also I've been dying on Act 1 because sometimes I just get a bunch of cards that are Weak And Bad IMHO. What are the good ones. Please send help.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Time Eater is a gently caress/1245434565465 dead Silent/I am trash poison.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
gently caress that Goblin asswipe shitstain on Floor 1, the fuckin' piece of poo poo playing as this stupid emo poison tryhard. Just gently caress him.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What I love the goblin even as silent. It takes some health off but I rarely find him to kill me unless it was a doomed run anyways.

Apparently 70% of the runs as Silent are doomed, or you only take one elite on the first floor every time.

This character is a streaky piece of poo poo and I challenge you to show me how to make it consistent.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The five-pack you can block most of the damage and chip away. Worst case scenario you take 20+ to the face. Nob with Silent feels like a guaranteed 30+ damage unless you drafted really poison-heavy or got lucky with good combos. So couple that with a bad Elite fight or a couple of bad regular fights and welp, you're dead.

Maybe the secret is to just draft damage and 0-cost in A1, gently caress utility. I've been trying to set up consistent decks and it ironically made poo poo more inconsistent.

fuckin stupid diablo A3 fetish girl

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I got my stupid win with the stupid Reaper wannabe and I just poisoned everything to do it.

I got double bosses on Act 3 but I also got the relic that spreads poison and a nice defense shell, so I just Bursted into Catalyst and they died super fast.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'll say that Silent advice helped, since I took two runs to the final boss. Apparently Knee Strike is good, who knew. Just need to pick some better win conditions/blocks, that's what killed me twice. That and probably not cycle poo poo just because since it just meant I got block starved.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't mind taking Injuries, even the innate ones are okay.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Whenever I get Snek I just start shoving big cards and card draw into my deck.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Eponymous posted:

Fun things happen when you multiply poison by 3^4.

caption: "welp"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Double Elites on A1 and A2 plus getting hard countered by a Chosen with a block deck and eating FORTY DAMAGE ON ONE HIT is so fun.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, I finally got a win streak doing A2 and A3 Ironclad. Pretty different decks, one was a strength stacking deck with multi-hit cards and the other one was a stupid block deck that lucked into innate Barricades and three Body Slams.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I finally got Ascension 4 with Silent with a discard deck. Double Tools of the Trade with that relic that gives you 3 block every time you discard something means you get a reverse Orichalcum. Turns out that can carry you.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think most of my losses are because I forget to balance my deck. I thought about it for more than a second yesterday and beat A8 Silent finally.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Seems like it's only worth it if your deck is grindy or has tons of energy.

I didn't play the beta branch (still trying to break to A10 because I suck) and Defect feels very snowbally. Focus stacking is really good at early Ascensions, at least, and you can grind your way to one of those "increase damage the more orbs you have" with its card draw.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also Defect doesn't tutor Exhausted cards or can stack permanent Block, so I don't think it's as good as Impervious.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sanzuo posted:

I cannot beat this game. I'm trying strategies like stacking strength or block + bash, but I get super messed up.

Just pick good cards. Anything that does two things at the same time is good, especially if it's cheap. Try to balance damage and blocking, also you need some early damage for A1.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Just bought this on sale, how the hell do I play the robot orb idiot? He seems somehow to both be made of paper and hit like a kitten. I like that one card that rebuys all my 0 cost but I can't exactly go off with nothing but Claws.

Acquire cheap blocks, acquire Focus, enjoy the stupid card draw Wackbot's got.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think people have done the math and on average Snecko is beneficial in your standard cost-curve deck. If you have a good core deck I'm starting to feel you pick it every time, especially when you also have some high-cost cards.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Andrast posted:

"On average" feels like a bad way of looking at Snecko Eye since getting hosed over by it just once might be enough to lead to to your death

The only way you die with Snecko on one turn is if you hosed up several other turns. Plus, you always remember that one turn when you got hit for 30 damage because every block was at 3 cost but you never remember the turns where you didn't take 4-5 damage because you could alpha an enemy or block poo poo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm Bad At The Game but basically the rough gameplan I follow is:

A1: Get cards that help you kill A1 Elites, farm Elites, upgrade poo poo
A2: Dodge fights like the plague, find a decent source of scaling damage, balance block/attacks, gently caress the Champ
A3: finetune deck

I've been climbing with Defect and Defect don't give a gently caress about a bloated deck. To be honest I think removing Strikes is good but quite often you have a better option when it comes to spending your cash.

But really, the #1 thing to get you those first wins is learning that You Need Good Attacks on Act 1 To Kill Elites. Barricade and Demon Form can carry you, sure, but they ain't gonna help you if you're eating 24 damage every tough fight.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

That A3 Dead Branch Corruption combo. Just play cards with Choker, it's fine. It's fine.

Also I'm like 5/7 these last few runs. It's all mid-Ascension, but I might be getting decent at StS after...150h what the gently caress

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Matt Lindland posted:

The thing about coffee drippp is you don't actually want to be resting anyways so have faith in yourself and never stop reaching for the stars.

I just draft so many cards upgrades stop mattering. Just rest and spam, lil robo dude.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If you're vaguely familiar with the patterns, Runic Dome isn't that bad. I'll gladly take it as my energy relic if offered.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Runic Dome is really good if you're prepared to google what each enemy's attack pattern and damage numbers are. Admittedly that's a pain in the rear end and that makes it a poorly designed relic.

Honestly you only need it for bosses and some elites after a while. If you have some scaling damage you don't even need to worry at all, just block everything. It's really good with Defect because of that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tollymain posted:

yeah that sounds like a good deal w a lean enough deck that you can count on armaments

i never, ever upgrade for damage and didnt think to check if it changes the cost lmao

e: are there any cards where its genuinely worth upgrading for the damage beyond uh impale and whirlwind i guess

Playing Defect I think you can toss an upgrade towards an early Streamline and be better off with it. Anything that multi-hits is worth one too, especially if it's your win condition.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I've come to the conclusion that the Defect is the easiest class in StS. While Silent feels like you gotta draft well, picking its solid cards and playing solid to get a win, Defect feels like you gotta draft well and by well I mean just stumble onto its plentiful super-value cards and sleepwalk your way to wins.

I'm not complaining, I'm bad and it's very fun to run not one but TWO early pick Sunders to wins on the back of ECHO FORM <insert JoJo menacing noise here>.

edit: also turns out Snecko Eye is really good in a class with passive blocking, who'd have known.

Dias fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 4, 2018

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You take Cleave because AoE is good. Always take Cleave if you don't have a Whirlwind already.

Always take all the cards and pray, actually.

the dumbest fuckin' run ever, where you take a corruption and don't get ANY blocks offered to you until the very last second, and then just kinda almost die to the Bird Boss anyway

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

PMush Perfect posted:

My score rarely tops 800. What's the trick?

Higher Ascensions get you more points, other than that I just play fast, draft a bunch of cards and hunt Elites. This time I missed out on Light Speed by 44s.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Unimpressed posted:

How on earth is it possible to kill the act 1 boss without taking damage? I've only played ironclad so far, to be fair, but I can't imagine what combination of path choices and card picks would even put you close.

Disarm/Weaken Hexaghost and starting the fight with low health is probably the "easiest" way of doing it.

edit: yeah, or Vulnerable into an alpha strike against Slime Boss. He gives you three turns to set up so if you get a bit lucky you can draw into Bludgeon/Perfected Strike and wreck him.

Dias fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 5, 2018

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mystic Stylez posted:

I got this on sale and just started playing, it's really just as good as everybody says. Any general tips for which paths to take on Act I and II?

Again, I'm not exactly GOOD at this game, but this has served me well lately, aka I'm actually climbing Ascension 10+ steadily. Most of it is stuff I garnered from watching JoINrbs' stream, who's a pretty good StS player:

Act 1 is all about hunting Elites for Relics. You basically want to hit as many Elites and Camps as possible, while minimizing regular fights. The first three fights are always easier than everything else, and since you're gonna need decent cards to kill Elites, try to find a path with those three fights earlier on. Bonfires before Elites are great, late Elites are also great. Don't be afraid to rest a bunch if you feel you don't need to upgrade something NOW.

As for drafting: for Act 1 you really want some frontloaded damage cards. That'd be something like a Perfected Strike, a Bludgeon, anything that lets you do a lot of damage really fast. Those cards get worse in later Acts, so you don't want too many of them. You also want better blocks, some way to reduce Strength/inflict Weak AND you want some sort of AoE for Act 2. Whirlwind is really good for Ironclad.

The more stuff ONE card can do, usually the better. Dash is great for Silent because it's like you played two Blocks and two Strikes for 2 energy. Uppercut is decent damage, inflicts Weak AND Vulnerable. Shrug it Off is a great block that draws you a card.

Act 2 is all about running the gently caress away from fights and fixing your deck's weaknesses/finding a way to beat the Boss. I just take as many ?s and Camps as I can, and I'll try and hit a shop too. At this point, you want some SCALING damage. This would be a way to build up Strength if you're Ironclad, or Poison if you're Silent. You can also just scale Block and slowly chip bosses down with Thorns. The cards you're offered will dictate your strategy.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Body Slam is a very good card...as long as you can upgrade it real fast and/or you have a deck that's already stacking a lot of block real fast. I wouldn't take it early on Act 1.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

pyromance posted:

I think body slam is worth picking up early and upgrading in basically every type of deck you can have for ironclad. There aren't many good 0-cost attacks for him to pick, and even if you don't end up getting a strong block deck but DO end up getting str scaling (demon form or upgraded limit break + a starter), it ends up working out fine.

It's hard to regret a single body slam+.

Eh, every time I decide to pick one early I feel like it's at the expense of a better early-game card, and if I don't get to upgrade it it's a VERY awkward attack. It's less damage per energy than just Strikes and although it's technically Dash when upgraded it doesn't have the benefits of being an attack that gives you block for Nob, for example.

It's not a bad card, it's actually super good, but it's one of those super good cards that don't help you a lot early on.

edit: although I guess a VERY early Body Slam would be a pick depending on what I was offered. I'm still taking an Uppercut over it the way I play.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think Ryoko and I are kinda approaching this from the same angle. In Act 1, I need ways to kill stuff NOW. Ironclad has a number of cards that do that better than Body Slam or that have more utility NOW. Plus, a lot of them also scale better with Strength and Vulnerable because they're multi-hitting.

pyromance posted:

I am not high on uppercut at all, but especially not early game. It's like a worse clothesline or bash, and working off 3 energy, you can't even really get value off the vuln until you upgrade it. It feels like I need to upgrade it to get any value out of it in a1, when there will likely already be better, higher priority upgrade targets.

I was thinking Clothesline, but I'll probably still take Uppercut if I have to upgrade it anyway.

edit: to wit, I started an Ironclad run where I got offered Body Slam in pretty good circumstances (late Act 1, a Shrug it Off and a Power Through in my deck, a fire right in front of me). It was pitted against a Flex and a Rampage, so it felt like the better choice. That's kinda when I'd draft the card in A1, I already had Clothesline, Carnage and good blocks, so it's all upside, really...

... and then Hexaghost killed me with like, 5 HP left. Can't blame it on the card, but I did fall into the Power Through (20 damage for FREE?) trap and got hosed on the draw on its Inferno turn. Wah wah.

Dias fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 9, 2018

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My follow-up Ironclad run went a lot better. That Thunderclap could've been a Body Slam. See, Body Slam, terrible card, that pick won me the run, not the fact I lucked into Rupture Brutality on the FIRST PICK. Also two Offerings. Also Demon Form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like blocks, I just like damage racing bosses better. See Double Sunder Echo Form Defect decks.