Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

GrandpaPants posted:

I find that the issue with Silent is that there are a lot more enemies that counter its playstyles vs. the Ironclad. Like, really, the Ironclad can do pretty well with just getting good new cards and dumping the starting ones.

Is there anything close to the Sphinx enemy type in Dream Quest? I'm on the fence with this game, but I'd be willing to spring $20 for Dream Quest without Sphinx level bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

deep dish peat moss posted:

They're both cool and very similar games but if I had to sum it up, Slay the Spire is a much better designed and balanced game but not as deep of an experience if you like the character progression/wide array of character classes kind of stuff.

That's consistent with my experience. Dream Quest is the brainchild of Peter M. Whalen, one of the lead designers of Hearthstone. Meanwhile, Slay the Spire's team lead is a huge Netrunner fan. So of course Dream Quest has a lot more content, at the cost of having a lot more bullshit.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Jedit posted:

True Grit is better than Armaments in most cases, but you really have to upgrade it or the randomness will bite you.

But getting both upgraded is pretty amazing, since you can upgrade most of your deck in the first cycle, and exhaust armaments in the second cycle.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I can't believe this terrible deck managed to eke out a win on the basic game. I almost surrendered at the beginning of the awakened one fight, but decdied not to. Half of the run time was spent grinding down a win against the awakened one. At least I have the Shrug It Off achievement now.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Huzzah! posted:

the Spire speedruns were really heating up yesterday. Anti_flame got two WR runs, a 6:38 and later a 6:25.

But soon after, Forgotten Arbiter, blew him out of the water with a 5:32
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00dbUbpRY8s

That perticular speedrun was powered by spite. To quote from Forgotten Arbiter from his reddit account:

Forgotten Arbiter posted:

I actually argued that all runs should be done on fully unlocked accounts, but the speedrun.com moderator disagreed. Then, he told me to "Start running that way, and show me some times". You could say this is a demonstration of the power of using a partially unlocked save.

Forgotten Arbiter only has the first ironclad unlock, so he doesn't have to worry about running into Omamori, Prayer Wheel, Shovel, Wild Strike, Evolve, Immolate, Havoc , Sentinel, Exhume, Blue Candle, Dead Branch, or Singing Bowl.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 12, 2018

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Orv posted:

I feel like I'm pretty obviously wrong about this but just a handful of runs into this it feels like you're so completely boned by bad card options that most runs are doomed.

Still a lot of fun.

Once you start stacking the ascension difficulty boosters, that's absolutely true. But you can get away with a shockingly terrible deck in normal mode. I just won a run with a fat, 25-30 card deck with an Injury curse and a useless act 1 Sentinel card, since the game refused to give me a single exhaust card for the entire run.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I feel like the Act 3 fights with multiple enemies are way easier than the fights with multiple enemies in earlier acts. They don't usually all attack on turn one, so you need to draw your AOE cards on the first turn, and they don't scale as fast as 3X cultists.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Huzzah! posted:

This guy knows whats what. Anyone who didnt take snecko eye is a coward. A coward!

I thought Snecko was a mistake at the beginning of Act 2, so I just ran into every elite possible in hopes of a quick loss. Instead, I beat the awakened one with my highest score ever. Calculated Gamble/Storm of Steel is absurd with tough bandages + dead branch, and I got a lot of benefit from all those Eviscerates. It hit the point where I'd was playing 3-energy Calculated Gambles, since Snecko would usually give me two zero cost cards after the gamble.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Halser posted:

My conclusions so far are that poison is not really worth it as a concept, and a dedicated shiv deck(storm of steel, accuracy) can be good but will probably not be. Also, small Clash/Rampage decks are hilarious, though I feel like any Ironclad deck sucks compared to the unholy Barricade/Body Slam deck.

Poison is a great deck type. You're probably just overestimating how many poison cards you need to make the deck work. A few bouncing flasks and a noxious fumes+ or two is all the offense you need, and sometimes not even that. The last poison deck I won with used 2X noxious fumes+ and an occasional Nilry's Codex card as the only poison cards in the deck. That deck worked by playing 2X noxious fumes+, afterimages, and 2X footwork+ as early as possible, and then just stalling with pure defense. Poison decks can afford to be really defensive.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 14, 2018

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

logger posted:

My score for today's daily was 942 which put me at rank 33xx.

I loved the run today, but I felt I could have done much better if I didn't pick up omamori, since I got blue candle shortly afterwards anyway. Did anyone else get the replace strikes with bites event? I felt like it was tailor made for this run since I never wanted to rest at campsites anyway and enough relics drop that you can raise your max hp easily from them.

I didn't get the vampire event, but there was a Reaper in my deck. I think that might have come from a shop, though.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There's an issue with the new version of exploders, that explode after three turns and deal 30 dmg. Unlike the old exploders, the new exploders blow up at the beginning of your turn, after block decays. Which means that block is totally useless against them unless you have barricade/calipers/blur. I assume this is a bug, since it means letting two exploders detonate is almost instant death without barricade/calipers/blur.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Relying entirely upon 2X Noxious fumes+, 2X Catalyst+ as 90% of my offense was a mistake (removed all strikes from my deck). But all those previous games taught me that everything besides poison and self-damage has to go through block. If exploders get to ignore block, then why doesn't burn ignore block. For the sake of consistency, they need to change it or create a new status to indicate damage that ignores block. Actually, piercing damage could be a interesting mechanic, but it needs to be obvious when it happens, instead of the current nasty surprise.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Do you think it would be worth it to change Grand Finale to this?

Grand Finale (+)
Deal 3 (4) damage to ALL enemies.
If there are no cards in your draw pile, deal 33 (44) damage to ALL enemies.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I guess that means the new end of turn order is Orbs > Relics > Powers > Enemies.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

RyokoTK posted:

Should be said btw that I discarded that Fairy Potion right away. iirc with the Lizard Tail any extra damage was carried through to your revive and you could theoretically get killed *again* in the same attack. I'd rather have the Blood Potion (heals 10% of max HP on use) unless you either get an Intangible effect when the Fairy Potion procs, or the revive HP gets buffed.

e: You can get Focus Potions as... not the Defect. :shobon:

I agree that most of the really threatening attacks have multi-hit damage, which would blow straight through fairy potion. Can you think of any really threatening single-hit attacks besides hyperbeam?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tollymain posted:

which cards are build-arounds and which cards are safe to take before you have something to define your build as the ironclad

i havent even touched the silent yet lmao

Most of the win condition cards for the Ironclad are things that scale extremely well, like Demon Form, Blockade, a sufficiently early Searing Blow, or Whirlwind. Safe cards are cards that are extremely efficient even without having any deck synergy, like Shrug it Off, Pommel Strike, or Flame Barrier. There's a lot more to it than just that, but the Ironclad is more about getting huge numbers instead of the Silent's huge card-play.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

On average, Snecko is really good. But against some bosses or elites, one unlucky turn can kill you, or at least force you to rest at a campfire when you didn't want to. You need more ways to handle bad luck with Snecko, like Orichalcum, loads of draw, or Bullet Time.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I just got stupid lucky as the Defect. Loader (the relic that gives +1 slot every two turns) + Consume is nuts. I was pulling a passive 50 dmg + 90 block a turn after two deck cycles, which annihilated the Awakened One. But I still took 55 damage in a single turn from the new beta hallway fight in act 3. The fireball summoner looks balanced for the other two characters. But my OP deck nearly died when there were three fireballs adds with the summoner, and the lightning orb RNG perfectly distributed the damage so that all of them survived to attack me.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tollymain posted:

what do i need to know about defect

The Defect is fun, but it definitely has the worst starting deck. Not-upgraded zap and duelcast are much worse than not-upgraded bash, neutralize, and survivor.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I don't think that would solve the issue, since that comes from the snowball nature of the game. It's why taking cards just to get extra act one elites works. Adding more acts would just create addition victory laps. Just look at the current endless mode beta. Instead, they need to have a few more encounters/events in act three that scale with your deck.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

For everything besides body slam, intangible is almost equivalent to "gain block equal to enemy attack - # of enemies". That's easily 30 block by act three, making it the equivalent of a 1-energy Impervious.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Its March and we still have a Christmas thread title

The real Christmas gift will be when this game comes out on the switch to join Zeldadancer.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

rchandra posted:

Also, "builds" are bad. Your description of Silent in particular suggests you need to be taking more good cards, and less cards that are on-theme or might be part of a combo 20 floors later.

Agreed. This isn't Dream Quest, where the enemies scale so fast you need to have a degenerate combo to stand any chance against the endbosses. Having good cards at the right time matters in Slay the Spire.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The new character has the best card

NAME: Blasphemy
DESCRIPTION: Enter Divinity Stance. Die next turn.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

GoldenPrice posted:

Shiv cards also have the hidden mechanic that once you have taken more than 3 of them, it gives you a 99% change of getting time eater as your third boss.

And that's why you can't call it a shiv deck unless it has scaling.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There's a big change in the latest beta patch. Intangible was changed to only reduce attack damage. It's still really good, but now you can't use it to avoid things like offering damage.

Also, there's a new Watcher card.

If you only play it once during a fight, it's a worse version of skewer. If you play it multiple times, it's a way to bank energy for future wrathful/divinity turns by creating a 1 energy 9x3 or 9x4 damage card.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Path to Victory: {1 Energy} Whenever you play Path to Victory, this enemy loses 5 (7) HP.

Path to Victory applies a debuff, which means that it provides it's own scaling. So the first time just applies the debuff, the second time play it, it does 5(7) damage ignoring block, the third time does 10(14) damage ignoring block, and so on. It still seems bad, since the scaling is too slow. But with bigger numbers, it could work.

Flick seems pointless when Alpha, Beta, and Omega exist.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 9, 2019

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Originally, a slightly weaker reptomancer was act 3 hallway fight. Back then, you couldn't avoid the scaly except by luck.

I'm still having trouble knowing when to transition from anything is better than a starting card to being more discerning and turning down cards. When does that happen for most of you? Around 15 card decks?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Reprogram looks like it's only for an all-in zero cost deck. It's ok to have really niche cards, for example Grand Finale. But it could use a buff in raw numbers so it would be more viable if you build your entire deck around it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The snecko can be mean, but it's eye is the greatest gift of all.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Stumiester posted:

Oh yeah, its brutal. I always hated the Sphinx, who would always tell you which type of cards you couldn’t play that turn based on which type you had most of in your hand that turn. So, if you draw 3 attacks, a spell and a mana then you can’t play the attacks this turn, sorry. But, the enemies are certainly interesting & very unique.

I remember Sphinx being so bad that the common advance was to skip every Sphinx, even if it meant coming in to the final boss underleveled. Dream Quest feels like the entire game is pre-patch Witch from Dicey Dungeons. Most of the late game enemies have a high chance of killing you 100-0. Dream Quest also believes in hard counters in a way that Slay the Spire doesn't. Time Eater and the Awakened One are soft counters compared to some of the enemies that randomly spawn in Dream Quest.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The difference between the worst and the best RNG for StS enemy patterns is way less than the enemy damage RNG in DD. On hard mode, some enemies in DD practically demand you pray to avoid the worst RNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Behold the cursed mod. The worst way to go language independent with iconography.

https://www.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/comments/gqjl9r/emoji_spire_released_all_370_base_game_cards/