Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Came back to this game two weeks ago and decided to start climbing ascensions. I stalled at 4 until this. :3: Runic Dome was still pretty drat good but I also finished a lot of fights really quickly. The Strike relic + strength scaling made Twin Strike MVP. I took a weird path for the first level because I had a good chance to get to the first elite with the "Enemies have 1 HP" starter relic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Praise Snecko and the dirty, dirty things it lets me do. Ended that run with like 133 health. Ascension 6, here I come!

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Squashy posted:

Praise Snecko! Hail Satan!

Praise Snecko, you'll wrecko

I avoided it like the plague until I heard everyone in the thread praising it. Switching my feelings on runic dome as well, I'm enjoying getting it.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

I finally beat the Heart for the first time. It's funny that I've run at it over and over and had painful deaths each time, but my first win really trivialized it. Took 4 damage in total from early Beats of Death, had 3 potions and needed none of them. Deck was quite stupid though.

Holy poo poo that is a fantastic looking armor deck. I've never managed to assemble one.

I'm working on climbing ascensions, and I just had a fantastic watcher Act 1 fight where I killed the boss on turn 2. Traded my beginning relic for sacred bark (double potion effectiveness) and had distilled chaos. Six cards left in my deck and one of them was an upgraded Ragnarok. I was in wrath, sooooo. :3: Can't wait to die to an act 2 hallway fight now.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Got both Iron Clad and Silent to Ascension 9; gonna work on the Defect now, whose at A1. Any suggestions for it? I struggled with it the most when climbing originally. I think frost is supposed to be king build?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Thank you all for the advice, I utterly failed A1 twice this morning before reading this. I'll try again girded with knowledge.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Got up to Ascension 3 with Defect after everyone's advice, thank you!

Finally beat Ironclad 9 and moved onto 10. I feel silly for never really trying out Body Slam+. Really shined in helping me keep my HP up and deal damage out.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Just got to Ascension 10 with this deck. I was such a fun deck, routinely trouncing hallway fights and killing Act 2 and 3 elites without trouble. Turns out Adrenalinex4 is pretty fuckin' stellar. :3:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

NachtSieger posted:

Explain to me how the Gladiator event in Act II is taking drugs.

The thrill of combat and the rush of endorphins from a win is the greatest drug of all.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Did it! :3:

Thank you for the Pandora trick, really helped. Dead branch almost gave me a heart attack by turning dazed into real cards during the Donu fight.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Would have been a louse-y way to die.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Took The Silent to Ascension 17 today from 11 since yesterday. Something just clicked. Maybe it was reading the last 100ish replies and internalizing all the good advice. Thanks thread. :3:

17 looks.. different. Lets see how this goes!!!

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Zvahl posted:

lean on wraith form, silent i probably have the most losses with at a20 but probably the most wins if I actually get her to act 2

I took to heart some silent advice form this thread about wraith form: 90% slam pick it and 90% of the time upgrade it immediately. It's good advice.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

You can get the one round boss kill achievement just for defeating the Awakened One's first half. I found that out annihilating him and his sidekicks T1 with a block stack Body Slam Ironclad :smaug:

Aww, sick. I've been looking at that achievement and thinking I'd have my best bet with the? Event in 3rd chapter where you can fight an act 1 boss. Now I can look for lines on awakened one. :toot:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

This deck was hot garbage and entirely carried by White Beast Statue + Sacred Bark and Snecko. And copious amounts of luck. Picked up the full heal waffle at a shop, then two floors later got the "Upgrade Everything and don't heal anymore," one fight away from the A3 boss.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm super into this mod after spending 500+ hours on the base game and then another 100 hours messing around with various content and character mods. It's probably straight up the best, most complete Slay mod I've tried.

Hexaghost is super obnoxious to play though.

Jedit posted:

Yeah, I just did my first Hexy run and it's way too complex to really enjoy. On the other hand, I did get the Broken Seal and learned that once you have all six Seals in play, every other Seal you play in that fight will give you another Broken Seal. Sadly I only had enough spares to get three of them, but that still made the rest of the run trivial (and means I have to do another one at least to unlock Snecko).

Oh man, Hexghost is like my favorite to play. I totally understand how it could be obnoxious though. The mechanic to build up and pay off just ticks something in my lizard brain. :3:

This is the first mod I've tried for the game, got stuck on A17 for my characters. This is such an awesome overhaul. EDIT: I did run into errors where any ability that tries to modify what TYPE of ghostflame it is, it'll cause an error and I have to reload the game and restart the fight over.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I gave up gold once in a similar position and never did again. :colbert:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Whoo! Onwards to Iron Clad 18. Had a nail biter on Act 2 boss when I fiend fired for exactsies on the turn his hyper beam was going to kill me. I ended up regretting the Madness+, they weren't really useful for this deck for the few fights I used them

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

got my first A20 heart kill, it's insane how hard everything gets, A17+ feels like a completely different game than prior ascensions. im only ever having success when i get insane relic/card setups (like this one, took -max HP +250 gold from neow with an early shop, and bought toxic egg, then had three catalysts and burst fall into my lap)

I feel you on the game feels completely different on A17+. I took a crack at some achievements on A1 and its like.. Just fun in a "I get to beat the tower" way after grinding my head against A17 for so long. "Oooh, this act 2 mob isn't wrecking my run, yaaaay"

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Hmm, for the Downfall mod, do you have to collect and also break all the keys to get the 4th act? Is there a 4th act?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yes and yes.

drat horror queefs posted:

You also have to kill the merchant once before the act 3 boss

Thank you! Excited to see what its going to be.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Deckit posted:

Thank you! Excited to see what its going to be.

Got to them and dang that's a marathon.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Holy poo poo I finally beat A19. I was at 2 HP on Act 2 at one point when I found a bonfire and sacrificed a gold card for a full heal. :waycool:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

rchandra posted:

Very nice. I use that event as an excuse to take a cool rare I don't need; it's so good when it works.

I forget what I sacrificed, I just know it was a rare from a transform I didn't want. Worked out splendidly.

edit: 96 damage short of killing time eater and beating A20. :argh:

Deckit fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 5, 2020

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

AHHHH I DID IT

Oh god now Silent

Lots of stalling in hallways to build up strength from demon form and reaping the hallway since I couldn't heal at bonfires. And Dual Wield + Reaping on boss fights.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

TacoNight posted:

Pantograph is so very nice for the double boss.

Is that what happens!? That's amazing, I didn't notice. :shepface:

KonvexKonkav posted:

That's an extremely nice deck that would have had very good chance of beating the heart.

I have just never been brave enough to go for the heart during ascension climbs. Maybe I'll start trying with Silent.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

HundredBears posted:

If memory serves, killing the act 3 boss unlocks the next ascension even if you die during act 4 of the same run.

KonvexKonkav posted:

Getting the keys is pretty easy usually and dying in Act 4 still unlocks the next ascension, so I'd say go for it. The hard part is actually beating the heart (especially for Silent), but again, if you die you do not lose anything ascension-wise.

Well poo poo, lets do it then.

Jedit posted:

It's specifically dragging Snecko Eye into the Recycle Bin on your desktop.

Some of the beta art for Watcher is really good. Study, Establishment, Scrawl, Conjurer. Memes and animes.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

thecluckmeme posted:

I just had my first heart-winnable deck with the Silent, I was full in on shivs with the pyramid that makes it so you don't mill your cards, so I was double-footworked up with the block cards that generate shivs, and envenom just continually smashing into things with more and more poison. I had the crow up to somewhere like 60 poison damage and then just rinsed him with shivs, I was pumped.

Only to realize as the last damage ticks happened that I neglected to get the ruby key.

:smith:

I love to see shiv smash. And that red key has eluded us all like that. :unsmith:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

The Gunslinger posted:

I can't seem to get a decent run going to save my life on any class. I've watched some tutorials, read some of the thread and tried to focus my decks based on my drops but all of my runs get ended by random bullshit or a lack of an element (AoE, front load, etc). People post the same advice like "well adapt to what you're given" except I'm typically given poo poo all and I can't build everything at the same time. If I prioritize elites to get some relics/rares then I either take too much damage or just get unlucky with lacking a counter to what I'm facing. Or I just run into bullshit like the Centurion and the Mystic in Act 2 where I can't outdamage the healing, the block he gives her and the str buff because I was working with what I was given and did not have insane frontload to kill her. I don't know how everyone is managing to remove cards, build decent AOE, build frontload and build enough block.

I've done so many runs and cannot make anything work, I'm getting super discouraged. I just need one god drat win, this game loving hates me.

Post some decks, we can help you out!

As a flexible rule, I tend to prioritize a path to take me through as many elites and bonfires as possible. On my way to my first elite, I want at least 4 attack cards, because strike sucks. Think of relics as cards that are always active, you never need to draw them. The more relics you get, the more your relative power is gonna be. That's why you wanna hunt down elites when you can.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Without really thinking hard about why I shouldn't do this, I discovered Mayhem and Echo Form really only amplifies the mayhem. Oops. :imunfunny:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

i’ve killed the heart on a20 with ironclad and watcher but I can’t do it with any real consistency. otherwise im a20 with everyone except the silent who I’m struggling to get past a14.

honestly the biggest thing that helped me get through the higher ascensions was being more adaptable in my deck building. moving from “add the best raw power card” to “add the best card for what my deck is struggling with,” went a long way. look at how your deck will handle potential elites. can you race lagavulen lowering your stats while beating your face? do you rely too much on spells for gremlinob? balancing for potential future events force you to consider your decks strengths and weakness for in real situations rather than “gently caress yeah catalyst stack poison”

I got A20 with IC, silent to 15, defect to 18 and I don't really play watcher at all so 7.

I think it's worth pointing out how different each character takes act 1 and act 2, because I had to really break iron clad habits for defect and silent. I'm also really glad to see silent buffs coming because silent is probably the character I struggle with the most

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I'm skipping 1,110~ish posts to say GOD drat Downfall is so good. I just got the update and its unbelievable its just a mod. The Champ is so fun.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

if you get the watcher as boss 1 just restart your run imo

all the bosses are good, and even snecko is moderately fun

I've played several games since this post and I still haven't fought watcher act 1. What's so egregious about her?

All the hero bosses have been extremely clever and full of flavor for their player controlled counterparts.

Gone back to hexaghost for climbing ascension, the champ makes my games take a long time despite how much of a hoot it is

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Not sure if it was super recent but the Downfall mod has another boss added; The Gremlins. :aaa:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

blakyoshi posted:

One of the gremlins gets temp strength every time they get hit. They have a power card that gives you one artifact every time you play seven attacks. My first run with gremlins was a victory. Gremlins seem pretty strong.

I really like that dude with the skill that swaps him in with thorns and block. I like the synergy of the cards a lot

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

After playing Downfall for so long I've returned to the ascension climb and beat A18 with this. I really thought Time Eater was gonna eat (heh) me alive but the reverse was true. Calculated Gamble+ and Tingsha was amazing.
Edit: I don't think I played Wraith form once except in a hallway fight. Caliper's was usually always good enough.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Any watcher advice for deck building? I feel like I struggle with her card choices more than others

Edit: like I still draft offensive cards for act 1 and then try and go for scaling in act 2 but I feel I never have a good feel for her cards like the other three classes

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

Post a seed you did and what your neow gift choice was

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Unlike other classes, Watcher doesn't immediately need offensive damage cards because wrath turns all your strikes into 12 damage cards. Instead, stance control is far more vital at the outset. Aim first to be able to reliably enter/exit calm and anger on the turns that you need, then work on blocking and attacking. To this end, commons like crescendo and tranquility are acceptable early game picks, but don't neglect the "empty" card line: Empty fist, empty body, empty mind are all great ways of ditching wrath stance and contributing to the fight at the same time. Empty fist especially is a great early pick because it does solid damage and has a 5 damage upgrade.

Edit: This should also make scaling much easier because stance control has already given you solid damage and energy.

Won this one off Lesson learned and using the advice about focusing stance changes; it was much better in finding the time to wrath and defend. I started with 3 potions from Neow; swift, strength and ancient. Hallway fights felt easier than bosses. Necronomicon and Wallop were game savers. :) Thank you for the advice!

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Man, gently caress Time Eater. And gently caress Slime Boss for being such a roadblock on A19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

nrook posted:

Time Eater owns

Towns

:madmax:
I think it ends more of my runs than the other bosses, at least for silent.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What class are you playing?

The Silent. I just kept lacking the needed burst to either put its health down past 75 hp in any measurable amount or not being able to endure the big slimes doing 18 damage, 12 damage with regularity. I managed to clear yesterday! I was really happy to do a duplication potion into an eviscerate to *clobber* it