Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I wish there was a way to pick a specific card to start with. I've been wanting to do a limit break run but I haven't seen it in 6 runs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Jeza posted:

Curious about this game. I can tell it's down my street, but I'm leery of buying any early access title. Not because I think they'll be bad per se (although often they kinda are) but more like I'll play it now with 50% content and never really experience the full thing because I can count on one hand the amount of games I've ever gone back to replay just about.

So with that preamble, is this game 'near' completion? Is it worth jumping in or should I just hold out until it's finished? I played Dead Cells and really enjoyed it in its unfinished state because it was "complete" enough to get the full experience, if that's any help.

If the current content was released as a full game with no plans for additional content I would still heavily recommend it to all of my friends

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

good, i probably just throw elixers away 9 out of 10 times.

i guess it might be too good to have them just remove all status cards in the whole deck?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

1 artifact sounds not great to be honest. i'd expect more like 2 or 3 artifact out of a potion. but maybe it's a lot better in practice

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i thought this poo poo wasn't supposed to happen anymore

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i spent 6 runs going strength hoping to play with limit break once, and it never appeared

first time i figure that i'm probably never gonna get it and run a block build, it appears twice before the end of the first area

i'm upset

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

a really thin deck with armaments and searing blow in it sounds like a pretty cool gimmick

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i find block build to be way easier than strength build. you both stop yourself from taking damage and still deal insane damage. the only cards really necessary are body slam and like, your starting defends, but there's a lot more cards that make it even better.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

oh yeah, strength builds are certainly fun, but block builds just frequently seem plain unbeatable if you get body block and don't grab a bunch of attacks or something

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't understand is nemesis is just designed to be an instant lose or what. the "takes only 1 damage for 1/4th of the fight" thing is pretty poo poo to start with, and 40 damage hits on top of that is pretty nasty too, but he even fills your deck with upgraded burns??? did he always do that?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

kickascii posted:

The STR build is a "block build."

Demon form + all the best blocking + whatever crappy attacks were left over
Limitbreak and another str booster + all the best blocking + whatever crappy attacks were left over

demon form only seems like something that works if you get barricade going first or are banking on some kind of seeing red + demon form hand. every time i've messed around with it having to effectively skip a turn every fight just gets me slammed

i'm talking about a build that goes all in on blocks and just attacks using body slam + whatever attacks you haven't gotten rid of yet. getting 20-30 block a turn, then hitting for that much with 0 cost body slams, is pretty nuts even before you factor in barricade letting you build that up to 200-300 or whatever. don't see why you'd waste time with strength on such a deck

i should probably mention that any time i get body slam once, it always mysteriously seems to turn up again 2 or 3 more times in the run, alongside dual wield

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 4, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

dyzzy posted:

Yeah he's like time eater lite to me, kind of a test of your deck's consistency and defensive ability. Even if you can stall you eventually lose without a way to deal with the burns or get in good damage on the turn he's vulnerable.

i genuinely think time eater is less difficult

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

honestly headbutt is such a good card. if you've got a star card in your deck headbutt is like a guarantee that you'll get it next turn, or sooner if you have some card draw in your hand. if you go for a thicker deck it's basically a requirement to have as much headbutt in as you can get, to make sure that you can get your more important cards more often

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

time eater very specifically fucks up silent

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

They're the giant donuts

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if you don't get barricade, the win condition for body slam is "get body slam, impervious, and dual wield in the same hand" because that's a 120 damage turn if all 3 are upgraded

or just spam 20 damage turns from defend + shrug it off

flame barrier is pretty good for this too, and hilarious against the birds in area 2 which will suicide themselves on you

you definitely want multiple body slams in your deck if you don't have barricade though

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 6, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

timekeeper is weird because he's designed to punish you for playing lots of cards in a single turn, which is most silent decks. the other silent play is poison, and time keeper cleanses halfway through as a weird gently caress you to that strategy too.

if you have a really good deck obviously timekeeper isn't impossible but i'm not sure what the intention behind that boss design is with regards to silent

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Finisher is a pretty big deal for shiv decks

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

drat i wish "start with barricade" was an option i could pick

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

In my experience the ? Rooms on the first floor have way more card removal in them than subsequent floors. I try to mix it up on the first floor personally, and get some of both

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean giving yourself 40 clashes, 10 inflames, and 10 limit breaks wouldn't be the worst cheat

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

that's really weird that block does nothing to aid against the explosion. very questionable choice if intentional

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

got my first defect win from going all in on frost orbs and blizzard (got a cold snap, glacier, and blizzard early and pretty much just went "well ok i guess that's the deck now")

picked up a consume hoping to get a source of orb slots at some point, but i didn't pick up a capacitor until act 3, and even then it ended up being a dead card more often than not. would've kicked rear end if i got a fission at some point though

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone got any beginner defect tips? Their cards are really interesting but it never quite seems to come together for me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

canis minor posted:

Cards to pick for orbs/power deck:
- Coolheaded - gives you ice orb, but primarily used for card draw (upgrade this one); I tend to pick 1/2 of this
- Ball Lightning / Cold Snap - gives you orb, damage card - pick if there's nothing better as it can dilute your deck, preferrably Ball Lightning as its good way to generate lightning orb apart for the Zap (upgrade Zap when you can)
- Compile Driver - damage card - of the same quality as above - useful to draw two cards, but dilutes your deck
- Beam Cell / Go For Eyes - 0 cost damage cards that apply conditions (I prefer Go For Eyes as it reduces damage you'll take) - downside is that it can dilute your deck
- Core Surge - damage card, but primarily used for Artifact effect that comboes with Biased Cognition
- FTL - damage card with card draw for no cost, the downside is that it can dilute your deck
- Streamline - decent damage card, worth picking up as it's useful even in later floors and is helpful early if you're lacking damage cards
- Charge Battery - good block, adds 1 energy next turn (so it generally doesn't "cost" energy) - becomes less useful later on
- Chill - useful card to quickly generate ice orbs
- Genetic Algorithm - useful if picked early on, on 1st floor. Don't bother with it if you're on 3rd floor
- Glacier - good block and generates two ice orbs, I tend to pick one of this
- Reboot - useful for draw purposes
- Seek - excellent card to search and setup your combos
- Steam Barrier - useful card for block purposes, but can dilute your deck
- White Noise - useful card as it gives you power, but it's pretty random; I generally like it and will often pick upto 2 of those
- Biased Cognition - great card for increasing effectiveness of your orbs, but should be either used with Artifact or towards the end of the fight
- Capacitor - can pick one and upgrade; I prefer to cycle orbs than stack them
- Defragment - excellent card that increases quality of your orbs; I tend to pick 2 of these and upgrade
- Electrodynamics - useful card to go through all the floors, especially the 2nd one, can dilute your deck, but you only need one of this
- Self-Repair - useful card if you're taking damage - it can dilute your deck

I think that's the cards you'll want to look out for - general idea is to apply powers that increase the efficiency of the orbs (Focus increases block that you get from ice orbs / damage you deal with lightning orbs) - and then either stack them, or cycle lightning / ice orbs. Having Core Surge + Biased Cognition (+ Seek) should win you most of the fights.

hey, so i've played a couple times and this was really helpful!

something i haven't seen talked in here much is how good turbo and new fission are, in my playing i've come to value them a lot. new fission is like defect's version of offering/adrenaline, you draw a bunch of cards and get a bunch of energy, but instead of paying up health or whatever you're paying with your orbs (if you have it upgraded, it's not even really "paying"). turbo looked like a real doubleedged sword to me until a pandora's box from neow forced me to use it, and now i kind of love it. i probably wouldn't ever have more than 1 in my deck, but "get 2(3) energy now, lose 1 energy later" is actually a really good trade if you can use that extra energy to burst down an enemy or put up a ton of block. i think when i saw "get a void" before i didn't realize that voids are ethereal, and the fact that it's put in your discard specifically (so the fight could very well be over by the time you cycle around back to it) is pretty nice.

most of my defect wins have been either 1. the creative something power that gives you a power every turn and is busted, or 2. by grabbing either a thunder strike or blizzard and a ton of good defensive cards and just stonewalling until i can nuke enemies into oblivion. the 0 cost archetype has never worked for me, i never get scrape/all for one and also 0 cost cards. are there any other effective "win conditions" that defect has that i'm just overlooking? i feel like my issue with defect is that i general build decks with decent general cards, but not really any powerful crucial cards or mechanical plays, so my defect runs tend to peter out in late act 2/act 3 if i don't have tempest/blizzard/power spam.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 7, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't like cursed key because I keep forgetting I have it and opening chests when i really shouldnt

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Instead of trying to craft the perfect deck, grab a handful of very good general-use cards and build on a synergy after you already have a decent deck. It's better to have a pretty good deck than a very bad deck that's 2 cards away from being incredible. Focus less on stuff like "can I stack strength" and more on "do I have a good balance of attack cards and defense cards?" The trick is that strength increasing cards are pretty good anyway, even without synergies, so after you grab one or two it's a lot safer to take a more specific synergy card, rather than grab a synergy card and hope to grab strength later.

I think the best advice I ever got was "try grabbing lots of 2cost stuff as silent, lots of those cards are just plain really good value, and work in most situations in most decks"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Verviticus posted:

isnt this just kind of the natural conclusion of an incremental difficulty system? Like either its not hard enough or you have to be abusive and lucky

It'd be nice if the game both had a lower margin for error and still retained a diversity of viable builds and rng not being run deciding

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Weird comment to make in the thread of an early access game that is good, unless you are trying to say that actually the game is bad

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

My issue is Early Access means whatever the gently caress the developers want it to mean. Alpha? Sure thing. Beta? Yep. Polished marketing tool? Yep. Completed game? Yep. It becomes hard to know when a game is actually at a state in which I'd want to play it. Like I'd consider the game experience complete before the Heart patch while others would disagree. Now what matter is that? Not much but early access sure does clutter the top sellers. Is that one a beta? Is that one an alpha? Baaah I don't know and I don't want to do the research to figure out how far along they are. Really it's a me being lazy issue at least as far as indie companies doing it.

Why have you chosen this thread to make this point in

Are you making a statement about slay the spire or not

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What are some relics that silent really benefits from? Obviously there's unceasing top, but I'm not sure what other win securing relics there are

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Does dead branch on a shiv deck actually work well? I can understand why it's bonkers paired with corruption, but otherwise flooding your deck full of unupgraded, non-synergistic random stuff just seems like it'd be decent until the first time your deck cycles, then suddenly you've got nothing but trash in your deck

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Focus + frost orb gen is basically a win condition. It isn't like, a proper one (unless you made a lot and have a blizzard in your deck) but it gives you near infinite time to set up another win condition/attrition down your opponents

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The couple times I've played endless it's always devolved into combining mummified hand with defect's various "draw a card after playing a power" and "make a lightning orb after playing a power" cards, such that I'm just spamming powers until everything is dead from hundreds of lightning orb being evoked

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Endless is kind of like a sandbox mode, I see no reason why it should be removed. If the player wants to trivialize their endless experience, well, the option is there, the end result is pretty predictable, and I'm not sure how you're going to get to endless 9 or whatever without similar stupid busted garbage.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zand posted:

imo, if you think that one of the 3 act 3 bosses hard counters your deck you should just make a different deck instead

Some of these decks are fun and unique unless you're matched up against a specific boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Escape Plan is a good card regardless of Time Eater. If you have Footwork or some other dex scaling it has decent value as a cheap block cantrip. You don't *have* to play it when you draw it, though. That's what I mean about thinking about the cards you're playing. You can put shivs in your deck, and FTLs, and Flash of Steels, and all that other stuff in your deck, but if they're not doing anything more than being a 3 damage cantrip then maybe it's not actually a good card to put in your deck.

You already know Time Eater is in the game so I don't get the problem with having to think that gee, maybe putting a fourth Blade Dance in my deck isn't that good of an idea. When you get into the higher ascensions, doing stupid poo poo with your deck gets you killed before you even make it to act 3 anyway. It's a learning moment that, hey, if I'm putting cards in my deck they need to actually make my deck better, not worse. You have to make a balanced deck capable of handling many threats, and after the first time you run into Time Eater you know that you might have to fight Time Eater on subsequent runs. That's part of the challenge of winning consistently; it's not a game about building goofy decks that win with a gimmick, it's about building robust decks that can handle all sorts of challenges. Bear in mind that Giant Head exists in the same act as Time Eater, and he's more easily beaten by playing a bunch of cards, so it's almost like a successful deck has to have tools to address both of these challenges at once.

If your complaint is that you might die the first time you bump into Time Eater, it is a roguelite, and although the game is rather transparent about a lot of its mechanics, you still have to find out some things by experiencing them (and other things are going to kill you out of sheer ignorance too, I don't get why Time Eater is the problem).

I don't know that a hypothetical poorly designed boss could possibly exist with this mindset