Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Artelier posted:

everyone in this thread: ironclad is easier

me: has won 2/3 as silent, and is 0/10 for ironclad...and counting

super fun game though I'LL FIGURE YOU OUT YET HIGH DAMAGE UNSAFE BIG SWORD GUY

Ironclad is very safe.
The most consistent way to win is to try and get either demon form or barricade as your win condition and just build as much block as you can around those. Demon form is a card that rewards turtling, not attacking recklessly. Same for barricade. Ramp up, and kill everything once you're buffed out of your mind.

If you can't get those, limit break+ + one (and only one, don't bloat your deck) source of strength works too. If you can't get limit break either, just pick up a spot weakness and a heavy blade, and if all else fails, double up on the block and go for high value attacks + body slams.

Combo builds are less consistent than just exhausting/destroying basic strikes/defends + picking up a lot of strong and efficient cards to drown out the lovely starter deck. Pick up a lot of shrug it off, pommel strikes, true grit+, flame barrier, uppercut, cleave ... and play to win. Don't pick up combo dependant cards unless you somehow already have enough pieces to make them work. Skipping a nightmare is perfectly fine if you have nothing to duplicate, for example. Don't skip a shrug it off in the first area just because you want to pick the shiny gold card instead. Build the deck you can build, not the deck you want.

General tips:

-Play defensively, the less you get hit, the less you need to rest.
-Campfires are the most important stops on your road, plan accordingly and make sure you can upgrade as much as you can. Upgrades win games far more consistently than random relics, which is why elite hunting, while fun, is usually not the optimal play. Only go for elites if it doesn't make you lose campfires, either by changing your path or forcing a rest because your deck wasn't strong enough to stomp the fight.
-Big decks are fine, so are smaller decks, the most important thing is to improve your chances of drawing useful stuff each turn.
-Take fights in the first area, avoid them in the second one because it's the most dangerous part of the game, and do whatever you want in the last stretch.
-Dex potions are very valuable, keep them for very tough elites or the final boss.
-If you have to rest, rest. Don't be greedy.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Avoid all elite fights unless you're absolutely sure you will murder them without losing too much hp. Campfires are much better.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I don't know, most zone 2 encounters are more dangerous than the ones in the beyond, I don't think elites are the main problem here.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

There are three different books.

Other followup stuff also includes the blood vial if you meet the blood enthusiasts.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I find that the issue with Silent is that there are a lot more enemies that counter its playstyles vs. the Ironclad. Like, really, the Ironclad can do pretty well with just getting good new cards and dumping the starting ones.

So can the Silent, she has very high value cards. You don't need to go for any archetype to win with her.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Demon form is a card made for very defensive builds, not agressive bursty ones.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Silent is extremely consistent and doesn't need any buff. Played 12 silent games this week, won all 12. Wouldn't mind giving her (and the Ironclad) more options by buffing lovely cards and nerfing overpowered ones though.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

The most viable (i.e. highest chance to actually win without resetting) Silent decks are pretty much a bunch of high value cards with a few strong powers like footwork/tools/whatever, and time eater doesn't counter that.
Combo builds are very strong when you pull the combo off, but they're easily countered. I think it's fine if you get punished for putting all your eggs in the same basket.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

Demon Form is mediocre at best, if not outright bad. It absolutely is not in contention for being the best card in the game.

It's just too expensive and ramps up too slow unless you're also using a slow, grindy deck that can survive the build up. I will agree on Offering and Adrenaline though. I never skip an Offering.

Demon Form is a win condition for decks with a lot of block, which are very easy to build. It's a very good card.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Snecko eye is ok even with a lot of 1 cost cards and becomes increasingly broken the more value+draw you have.

Only decks that don't work with it are decks with lots of 0 and decks where you have to play certain specific cards when you draw them, like poison builds. If I'm winstreaking and playing my regular deck of high value cards, i'm usually glad to pick up a snecko eye because all it takes to make it really strong is a few backflips.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Dias posted:

Apparently 70% of the runs as Silent are doomed, or you only take one elite on the first floor every time.

This character is a streaky piece of poo poo and I challenge you to show me how to make it consistent.

I have a >90% winrate on silent, she's extremely consistent. People who tell you to pick up good cards and ignore poison/shiv/gimmick builds are right. Pick up strong cards that always get value like backflip, wails, footwork, terror, 2 cost cards that aren't crippling poison, flying knee, quick slash, malaise, probably a dagger spray+ for some aoe... Once you've drowned out the strikes with strong cards, complete the deck with utility like draw/retain powers, caltrops, acrobatics, outmaneuver, alchemize, and anything that would let you make use of your energy efficiently. Depends on the boss relics you get.

It might not be as flashy or funny as other builds but this kind of deck doesn't crash and burn if you don't get the cards/relics you want.

Also quit going for elites unless you're strong enough to kill them without having to rest before the boss. Spamming campfires for upgrades is a much better use of your time.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 21, 2018

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Jedit posted:

The main problem I see there is that you took Glass Knife, which is one of the worst cards in the game.

I too hate dealing 12*2 damage for one mana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

No idea how to beat the heart on A20 as the Watcher if your run isn't absolutely bonkers, she definitely feels underpowered.
Orrery is a shop item now and it is way too cheap.