Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I swear it is loving impossible to beat this game, have made it to floor 50 about twice but most of my runs end between floors 20 and 30 because Act 1 is usually pretty easy as long as your luck isn't too bad, but Act 2 is just full of obnoxious bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tenkaris posted:

https://youtu.be/G9C0yk6L_bE

This is the video that prompted me to git gud.

To be fair, I’m still not good, I have <10 wins total and haven’t successfully ascended yet in any of those. But this video made me realize i shouldn’t always take cards when offered and just opened my eyes to how little I had been thinking about the game. YMMV but it’s really a neat game even if you sometimes get screwed

That was ridiculous

mcvey posted:

Post a run

Playing on PS4 so that would be a bit tricky, pretty sure I own it on PC too, just haven't gotten around to trying that version

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So following the advice given of avoiding normal fights as much as possible in act 2 I've managed to make it to Act 3 for the first time in a good while, anything I should keep in mind before progressing into this next act?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well made it to the Act 3 boss and got wrecked by a boss that felt unfair even by this game's standards

If they ever make a sequel they really need to add an easy mode for people like me who like this style of game but don't like hard games

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zore posted:

Which one did you hit?

The snail, he hits way too hard and has way too much health for a boss with his type of gimmick

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Thorns suck to go against(thankfully they seem to be pretty rare) but having them for your own use is great

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Of the three characters I can use so far(since obviously I can't use Watcher until I actually beat a run), Ironclad is the one that feels the most complex to run which is kind of funny cause on paper he seems like the simplest character, as his powers and skills feel the most transformative in how much they can change up how he plays

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Demon Form is so good it's honestly kind of scary, especially when you can raise up your energy above 3 so you can do things besides using it on a turn

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Most recent Silent run was pretty mediocre, the RNG kept giving me mediocre card picks so I had way less Block than I probably should have by the time the Champ murdered me and also gave me jack poo poo in the way of either shiv related cards or poison ones so I couldn't really specialize in either direction so my overall damage output was bad as well

Also I ended up with lots of potions and relics(many of which were pretty mediocre though) but thanks to the layouts I didn't end up at a shop once that run either

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Man I am just having the shittiest luck today, first run started off good then I ruined it by saying yes to those vampires which got me killed, and then I've had three or four(they all happened so quickly I actually wasn't paying attention to the exact number) runs in a row I had to abandon within the first 5 or so floors(one of them I abandoned right at Neow in fact) because of ludicrously bad RNG just sapping out any will to continue(it really doesn't help that Silent has the most boring starting deck and stays that way for most of Act 1 unless you get really lucky with early pulls)

I have to ask how many runs did it take you guys to first successfully complete a run, cause this is run 20 now and it's starting to just plain be frustrating, doesn't help that most of my losses don't feel like I lost because of some great error on my part but rather just bad RNG and unfair game design, or that since at this point I usually can make it to somewhere in Act 2 before something screws me over that means at least a half hour to two hours of my time gets consumed for no tangible results

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Chairchucker posted:

I lucked into a win on my second run, with the Silent and lots of shivs

I am Not Very Good at this game, but I've managed to rise to like, ascension 7 or something on all four heroes

Yeah I think that was how my first run that went to Floor 50 went too

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well on the first one where I was initially doing good, like I said the mistake was doing the Vampire deal as I wasn't paying attention and didn't realize that it would cost me a significant amount of health* nor did I realize that it would give me bite cards equivalent to the starting amount of Strike cards not my current amount(I had ditched at least two) and combined those both threw off my play and screwed me over when I ran into what's probably one of the worst things a Silent can run into; a multiple enemy encounter composed of multiple high health and highly aggressive enemies

As for the seed; ZZXG7G5ZTW1P

*as I had only encountered it before on Ironclad runs where I had a Perfected Strike in my deck so I would immediately say no as it would gimp one of my strongest attacks

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

See I like Silent fine enough when I can get a Shiv or Poison engine going, but before that happens they have the most monotonous beginning point of the characters I currently have access to

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Drunk Nerds posted:

This is a valid complaint: There are a lot of interactions where you aren't totally sure how it will work until you try it, which makes it tougher on newer players. I have a friend over who has about 200 played hours, and he asked if playing phantasmal strike twice in one turn gives you quadruple damage (it doesn't, it gives you 2x damage for 2 turns). There is a parsing of commands that makes most actions predictable over time, but a lot of it is learning curve.

Still, tomorrow we will enter the fray intending to play that seed, remove two strikes, get the vampire deal, and still see if we can survive.

What was your Neow choice in the beginning?

Honestly don't remember and that's one of those details the logs don't record

Sage Grimm posted:

Interestingly enough within the first 10 floors of that seed I had found two Perfected Strikes and a Pommel Strike! :v:

Hah

Also annoyed cause once again had a run going really good(Ironclad this time) right until Act 3 where after the first encounter went fine enough I had three in a row* that ground me into paste(in order Darklings, Four Shapes, and Spheric Guardian with Shapes), the "Artifact" style enemies are some of the most consistently obnoxious ones in this game I've come to notice...

Seed; 87RF4X9LPX6Y

*well had a merchant after Darklings but that's not super important

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Various Meat Products posted:

Killed the Transient, rested 0 times, Lizard Tail unused

This seed really wants you to go for strength scaling and smash things as fast as possible. Whirlwind with Chemical X really stood out as my best damage source, and Orichalcum probably saved me 100 hp. Some noteworthy choices include upgrading Bash in the floor 3 event instead of a transform, taking Immolate over Demon Form at the end of Act 1, and Pandora's Box over Fusion Hammer.

Yeah I had quite a few Strength scaling cards and relics in that run too, including the absolutely ludicrous combo of Flex and then Limit Break(especially when the latter is upgraded so it no longer exhausts on use) like by the end of the Champ fight in Act 2 I was at like 64 Strength with the killing blow being like some mind boggling number over 200

Basically the big problem was that last three encounters were all enemies you really can't smash fast, at least not without taking a beating yourself(Thorns are probably one of the worst defensive traits a Ironclad can encounter on enemies since his ability to bypass those is relatively limited compared to Silent or Defect)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Deckit posted:

Oh maybe I misread but I did it as Silent instead of IC. Died at the heart but ended up with a sweet Shiv-lite deck.

Sure as poo poo played for 10 minutes then went to bed.

Nah it was a Silent run, I just mentioned the Ironclad runs as being my previous encounter with the Vampire event(which thinking it over really would make more sense as an early Act 1 event as there's probably no real benefit to it by the point in Act 2 you usually encounter it, while it could have been useful if you were to get it at the very beginning of a run instead)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

curiousCat posted:

The real sweet spot for the vampire event is when you have molten egg already

That's one of the reasons I had accepted the deal, I had Molten Egg so since I hadn't paid attention and hadn't noticed either the health loss or it being exactly five cards added I thought it would just be a nice way to trade out the remaining couple Strike cards for something stronger

I imagine an early Act 1 Molten Egg is one of those relics that can just make things a lot easier since it frees up your upgrades for your skills and powers, not to mention a sizable boost to your overall damage output

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Bought this game again a couple days ago(this time on Switch) and man I have just completely forgotten everything I'm supposed to do in this game, just having the most rotten luck too