Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It does I'm pretty sure. It definitely does for other curses. I had a curse-based rupture deck once I absolutely loved. (pain, necronomicurse, and blue candle combined with reapers is absolutely beautiful)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Tried that seed again and got to act 3 this time. It really is a fun seed and, spoiler alert, Act 2 boss let me pick between a reaper and a limit break, so its definitely winnable on A20 I feel

Just a fun fun seed. Anyone else have any seeds they really enjoyed recently?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I just died on the second act 3 boss with all three keys on A20. I'm going to give it one more shot this afternoon

I just did the same. Think that'll be my last go at it, but I'm looking forward to someone else getting a victory.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Seeds don't differ based on ascension, they do differ based on PC/mobile. That's a mobile seed.

Also I tried it again but went and picked up an early Brimstone this time as well because I didn't have enough strength scaling I decided. Took me all the way to the second boss of Act 3, which was cool!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Of course the easy way to kill a boss turn one is dropkick

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 2, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Exhaust cant a reduce your deck enough to get the achievement by itself, but it can bring your deck online even before its ready so your survive long enough to finish slimming it, and then it can be what pushes you over the edge (especially with good self exhausting/infinite starting picks like offering)

But silent can also discard chain to give you all the actions and draw needed to reliably bring an infinite deck online turn one even when its larger than you might have wanted.

They both have very different approaches but I think Ironclad is probably easier.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 3, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Y'all made me remember I didn't get the 5-card-deck achievement yet so I went and got that since I had already swapped into an empty cage on this game to start.

2 Armaments (1 upgraded)
1 Searing Blow (a mere 3 base upgrades since I kept having to skip fires to get shops)
1 Shrug Off
1 Pommel Strike

Also featuring: Snecko Eye, which I'm still not sure was a positive or a negative 'cause it really hosed me over a few times but the turns where I got to play the searing blow three times were super nice, and Mark of Pain, whose energy I desperately needed but made the deck instantly struggle the moment I got any more status cards.

If I hadn't had the 5 card limit I could have easily taken that on to beat the heart (I passed by both an evolve and a medical kit to get the cheevo, plus TWO offerings, a few blood sacrifices and a couple seeing reds) but still a fun little challenge.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

I still haven't found a legitimate use for Preparation.

It's one of the better Silent cards once upgraded, imo, although obviously it requires you to be running a discard build, because it lets you discard your discard cards/bad statuses and curses and then get more cards (possibly to discard in turn, possibly to use) and it lets you do it for free. It also gives you some fine control over the number of cards remaining in your deck for those Grand Finales.

Well, I mean, it costs a card, but the Silent has no shortage of card draw options so its usually a good trade. It also synergizes well with sneaky strike and eviscerate, since it makes the 12/16 damage attack free/cheaper that turn but doesn't use up any of the action points you'd need to still play it.

But then, discard builds are the best builds on the Silent, imo (from my fun-based perspective) so I may be a bit biased.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 19, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

And ironically the first two with their "negative" effects are arguably better than the straight card draw!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I had an outmaneuver heavy deck let me beat a10, and it was actually really great.

Specifically it was like 4 outmaneuvers, a few acrobatics and several backflips, some dodge and rolls and flying knees, a blur, a couple concentrates, a predator I think? Plus burst, skewer, I forget if I managed to grab a mailaise that game but maybe? Plus a heel hook or two.

It was really, really fun. You're first turn or two are weak, but from that point on you've basically got enough cards and energy and often block to do whatever you want this turn, use a ton of energy on "x" cost cards and still continue the ball rolling next turn.

I like to think of it as the "pay it forward" build. I don't think its super viable on high ascensions, but if you get a couple early predator/dash's or like to aggressively slim down your decks and add card draw, it can go a long way to making them more useful or more reliably go off.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 19, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Meanwhile the A1 hall fights are about coming out of it with as much health as possible, which is often about pacing which turns to focus on block and which turns to focus on damage (especially if you can kill the enemy NOW), so that you can go balls to the wall eating damage on the elites to kill them as quick as possible.

Because of that pacing issue and "oh gently caress I need to deal damage asap" issue, under most circumstances a 2ap attack that does 10 damage is actually usually better than 2 1ap attack that does 6 damage each, because it means you might still be able to spend all/most of your AP on damage on an "attack" turn (and possibly kill the enemy before it can hurt you that turn) even if the rest of your hand is defends and its the only attack you drew, and on a "defend" turn you've got one less attack in your deck and thus are more likely to be able to spend your AP on defends as well. And obviously the same is true in reverse.

Learning the value of effectively condensing two 1ap cards into 1 2-ap card slot is something that I think helped me out a lot.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 19, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

And early on, upgrading a strike and a defend can lead to easily saving that much health pretty quickly. I dunno, I always take it, but then I mostly play Ironclad. It seems worth it on defect two for the chance to reduce the cost of Zap or Doublecast to zero.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Clash is a very good clutch card if you get an early exhaust deck going.

It synergizes EXTREMELY well with second win and sever soul, but if you get an upgraded True Grit or a Corruption it can still work really well.

If I have the early cards for an exhaust deck I will absolutely nab it because it's going to be a big chunk of free damage more often than not, which means I can spend more time working on the exhaust engine instead of clogging it up with necessary damage cards.

But its rare to have a good exhaust deck going early enough on high ascensions to see it get much play unless you've pulled a lucky Pandoras Box or something.

It's a really fun card if you like doing custom deck runs though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I just don't find building Snecko Eye decks to be fun, honestly. Mostly because like... one of the decks I enjoy building is actually compatible with it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Orbs are way better. Just a lot more versatility in how you can use them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I would probably take the rod and build towards a passive damage deck and just forget about the rupture unless I had something really good to go with it already. Sure you could stick with the current combo, where you start building strength two per turn after you play two different powers at the cost of health... or you could completely remove the downside of combust damaging you.

Obviously if you've already got a few strength synergy cards and thats the direction youre building then skip it - but if the rupture is really all you've got I'd take the rod. Its an amazing relic. And on top of it all, if you do some find some nee self harm cards to continue building off the rupture, you now have a relic that mitigates how harmful they are so honestly its still pretty good even then.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 31, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Chaotic Flame posted:

Laguvulin as the first elite as Silent feels so bad :smith:

Give me lag who I might be able to poison over the nob who doesnt let me use any of my skill heavy deck any day of the week on Silent, imo.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

There is a reason I try not to hit early elites with Silent, that is true.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Since you folks like card games, has anyone here played Inscryption? It's absolutely amazing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think it gets more fun mechanically once you get to start playing with the other three playable factions, since they all have their own unique mechanics. Although yeah without the puzzle aspects, I guess it's a bit too easy anyway.

Edit: Oh wow it mechanically gets a lot worse later on too, that's disappointing, I was kinda hoping it would keep building on the earlier stuff in a fun way. Still a fun game if, like me, your favorite Slay the Spire past-time is building nearly-impossible-to-pull-of-but-super-OP-if-you-do gimmick decks.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 3, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I know this isn't the right thread but if anyone would know it's you guys - is there anywhere in the forum people are talking about or any goon groups that are playing Hellcard?

Doing the equivalent of multiplayer Slay the Spire with my brother has been very fun and I want to talk to more people about it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Every time I pick up Dead Branch I end up regretting it. Every damned time.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

That's the first genuine out loud laugh I've had on here in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

My non Slay the Spire goto is still Hellcard, which has proved surprisingly resilient for me - scratches the STS itch while having good multiplayer support.