Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Unless they changed something in the beta, curses just transform into other curses. You don't get additional one.

E: Nevermind, you're talking about the daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

nrook posted:

So what's the deal with Doppelganger anyway? I checked out the spirelogs tier list and was surprised to see it pretty high. Now, the tier list is definitely not very reliable, just because of how noisy the data is. But I always thought the card was total garbage to be honest. Does nothing, takes lots of energy, basically just a rare version of famously powerful cards Flying Knee and Outmaneuver. And the signal is at least strong enough that if a card is ranked as "pretty decent" and I think it's "total garbage to never be picked," I must be wrong.

I know X cards are always better than they look but I just don't see it. How is spending a card and energy doing nothing a good idea?

I guess the idea is to use well-laid plans and play skewer or malaise the next turn.

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 24, 2020

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Andrast posted:

You only draw 5 cards per turn. Having low-impact cards can dilute your card pool too much so your draws aren't as good.

Good card draw like battle trances or Bag of preparation can increase the value of those cards a lot. A 0-cost card that replaces itself by drawing a card is probably going to be a good pickup in most circumstances.

I would like to add that even 0-cost cards that replace themselves can be pretty bad picks if you're up against enemies like nob or time eater that punish you for playing cards. Also prepared for example gives you -1 card draw since you have to draw it first and then discard a card if you play it. Stuff like escape plan or finesse is probably fine if you have lots of dex though.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

MJeff posted:

What do you guys choose on Golden Idol event?

Welp, just lost to Hexaghost. :suicide: A10 is where the game stops loving around, I guess!

Curse if there's a shop coming, usually max HP over damage since damage means I can fight fewer elites.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Even then, the thing that won the run was the apotheosis on floor 1, not the searing blow specifically. I think jorbs said in the video that basically any decent attack would have been enough.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

It's true that you want to proiritize attacks early on, but adding exactly one block card to your defect deck on the first few floors helps a lot in my experience. Sure, it doesn't help you against nob (unless it's go for the eyes or buffer) but when you do encounter him, you have enough hp left to survive.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I usually try to go for the heart because it's the most difficult enemy and I want to see if I can beat it even if my deck is not totally broken, but when I'm climbing ascensions and things are going badly, I won't do it in order to have a better chance at beating the A3 boss.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

MJeff posted:

Man, Gremlin Nob is such a nightmare for Defect. I feel like that's gotta be one of the worst specific character-enemy interactions in the game from the player perspective.

I find nob to be harder for Silent. You absolutely need an attack like compile driver/ball lightning/cold snap though.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Reminds me of the run where I used my two Omnisciences to play double Worship+Ragnarok on turn 1. I think I had a Bag of Marbles, too.

Did someone here play Monster Train? I saw it being recommended by jorbs and I wonder if it's good.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

If you're dying to the first boss, you need more frontloaded damage. Both Hexaghost and Slime Boss require you to deal lots of damage in the first few turns, so you may have to pick up some cards that allow you to deal good damage immediately, even if they're not so great later on. Wild strike would be an example of such a card. Also, unless you're already super OP, you're gonna need an AoE card for act 2. Immolate's the dream but whirlwind or combust are also OK to take most of the time.

As far as blocking goes, you should take some block cards but not too many. Disarm is extremely good for this, as are flame barrier, true grit and shrug it off. Usually, it's OK to take some damage as Ironclad, especially if you have sustain via feed or reaper.

Feel free to post some runs so we can give you more specific advice.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Those look pretty solid, but as other posters said, you could try and take a few more elites. Some other small remarks:

1) Armaments upgrade sounds good but is usually pretty mediocre. Often, you are just going to play Armaments+1 or 2 cards, so the other upgrades are kind of wasted.

2) What were the other possible boss relics when you took mark of pain? Even with fire breathing, it's one of the worst energy relics.

3) Both of these decks have lots of strikes/bites. Coupled with the wounds generated by mark of pain, power through and so on I imagine that the second deck died to Bronze Automaton because you couldn't draw enough good cards. Maybe you could prioritize removing strikes a bit more.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Zephro posted:

Thanks again for the Ironclad advice. The very next run I got an early Demon Form + Heavy Blade, then later on a Bottled Tornado, so that went pretty smoothly and I'm now up to A5. Obviously can't rely on that every time, though. I think I still don't have a good sense of how to scale an Ironclad deck. Strength is fine when you get all the pieces, as I did, but it seems much less reliable than dex scaling on the Silent, or the standard frost-orb build on the Defect. I think I probably need to focus on exhaust as the fall-back plan rather than strength, since if you can exhaust your deck down to a few heavy-hitting cards, that's still scaling, just a different sort to what I'm used to.

Yeah it was the only energy relic. I think the other options were Empty Cage and Calling Bell, maybe? Obviously energy relics are great for every class but Ironclad in particular seems to suffer if you don't get one from the first boss. Though again that could just be me being bad at playing him.

You can definitely win without strength scaling if you have enough exhaust+stuff that synergizes with it like feel no pain. A third option is block scaling via barricade+entrench+body slam etc, but that can be very hard to set up since you have to take some attacks on higher ascensions.

As far as the relics go, I would have also taken mark of pain there. Like you said, Ironclad has a very hard time without an energy relic (unless you have snecko). I think this is because inflicting vulnerable is essential in most cases and almost all cards that have vulnerable written on them cost 2 energy.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

My runs where I at least reach the heart usually take an hour at minimum, so I really wonder how some people manage to finish in 35 minutes or less.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Runic Pyramid is a fantastic relic and I'll often take it over an energy relic. It's especially great on Silent since you can play your Catalysts and Wraith Forms exactly when you need them. The only things I don't like about it is that it forces me to plan ahead more and that it sucks with Snecko.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Zephro posted:

Thanks for the replies!

Just so I'm clear, are you saying here that it helps you filter your draws? In that if you end up keeping less good stuff in your hand (because you didn't play it) you're going to draw the good stuff you do play more often?

That makes sense. But doesn't the relic buy you extra draw power at the start of a fight by sacrificing draw power later? In other words, if you take Runic Pyramid but not an energy relic, then you can probably play around 3 cards a turn*. That would mean that by turn 4 you're only drawing 4 cards, not 5, because you're up against the max hand limit. From turn 5 on you'll be drawing only 3 cards a turn. Then there's the problem of status cards, as someone else said. Seems like you really don't want Runic Pyramid and Power Through for instance.

It seems to me it will work best with very small decks, decks that have ways to mass-exhaust cards (Corruption, Fiend Fire, lots of True Grits) etc. But the eventual lower draw feels like it would be a real drawback, especially on elites and bosses where fights tend to last longer.

I'm not saying the relic is bad (obviously it's really good; the stats don't lie) I'm just trying to figure out how best to use it or what exactly I'm missing (since I'm obviously missing something)

*obviously this varies depending on deck composition, mana costs, cards that exhaust other cards etc, but it's just illustrative

The problem you mention is true to an extent, but it is less severe than you think it is, because the most important turns in a fight are usually the first few turns where there's basically no drawback. There are also many things you can do to mitigate it, some of which you already mentioned: 1) Get cards that discard/exhaust other cards. 2) Keep your deck small. 3) Get energy generating/cost reducing cards so you can set things up for a really big turn or play more cards/turn. Often, it's better to have one really good turn and maybe one kind of lovely turn than many mediocre turns and Runic Pyramid + energy generating cards are excellent at helping you achieve just that. Bullet Time + Runic Pyramid is a powerful combo for example, but stuff like Turbo on Defect also works. 4) This goes somewhat against 2), but having some 0-cost cards can be pretty good in a Runic Pyramid deck, since there's less of a downside when you draw them instead of a more powerful card that costs energy.

To an extent, Runic Pyramid decks are similar to Snecko decks in that you have to build them a bit differently than "normal" decks but in return they can also be much stronger.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

So I just had a Watcher run where I basically had no problems whatsoever thanks to getting Apparitions event early in Act 2 until I died to Donu&Deca on turn 1. My opening hand was

Strike Strike Eruption Judgment Fear No Evil.

Literally any block card would have saved me. Turns out that letting your entire defense consist of Apparitions, Wish, Like Water and a single Protect is not the brightest idea :thunk:.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Jedit posted:

A fair number of Silent decks already have access to plenty of Intangible and so don't need to give up half their HP for more. Ironclad with Red Skull also doesn't like it as much because the Skull is harder to activate and less safe.

It's also much more of a no brainer when you get five Apparitions, but once you reach A15 and only get three it starts to become an actual decision.

I almost always take it on Silent, simply because Burst+Apparition or Nightmare+Apparition is basically a win button.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I haven't had a winning run where I had 21 cards or less tbh. Most of the time I end up between 25 and 30 cards.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Of all the bullshit hallway fights I hate jaw worm horde the most. At least 8x3 plant and mushroom+avocado have the decency to show up before you have invested too much time in the run to ruin your day, but dying on turn 1 on floor 50 or so is extremely frustrating.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Jedit posted:

You need to pay more attention to the map. You never need to prioritise hitting chests because there's only one per act and it appears on the same floor on every path.

Act 1: don't prioritise ? rooms over enemies. Enemies are your main source of cards early on. It's also worthwhile to look in an early shop if you took a $$$ bonus from Neow - shop relics only cost around $150.

Act 2: Avoid hallway fights, but hit as many elites as you can safely take for relics and rare cards because you still need to complete your deck.

Act 3: Avoid elites unless you're really confident because Reptomancer can push in anyone's poo poo if they get a bad draw on turn 1.

I'd argue that of you're going for a heart kill, you absolutely need to fight as many elites as you can in A3 and as you're getting into higher ascensions, it's also necessary for the A3 boss. I've had plenty of decks that were just barely good enough to beat the A2 boss but died to the A3 boss.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Jedit posted:

A deck that can barely beat Collector isn't going to beat Reptomancer, a deck that can barely beat Champ isn't going to beat Giant Head, a deck that can barely beat Automaton isn't going to beat Nemesis. Before you face those elites to improve that deck with relics, you first need to improve it with cards.

I guess it's more of a personal preference than the "optimal" strategy. If I have a bad deck going into A3, I obviously try to get in some hallway fights and question marks and maybe a campfire first before I go for the elites, but after that I'll try my luck with the elites even if my deck is kinda iffy. Sure, sometimes I die to Reptomancer, but if can't beat her, I probably won't win against the A3 boss or die to Spear&Shield, so there's no reason to drag out the inevitable.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Klungar posted:

What’s the secret to using Snecko Eye effectively? I seem to get just as many hands where all my defense cards are 3 cost and I get creamed as I do hands where I can play 0 cost cards. And it seems to invalidate all the upgrading I’ve done to reduce the energy costs of cards. I’ve only done like five runs in this game so I know I’ve got a lot to learn, just hard to see why this relic is so highly rated.

Usually, I only take energy reducing card upgrades after act 1 if I don't get Snecko for this very reason. The trick to Snecko-ing successfully is to only look at the card effect and not the cost if you have it.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

How long did it take you?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

ILL Machina posted:

One of the more clever mods I found simply gives you bites equal to your remaining strikes.

I'd take it much more often in that case. As it is, it's kind of weak most of the time, especially if you compare it to the upgrade all strikes and defends event which doesn't even give you a downside like a max HP loss.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I just had some very promising A20 Silent Snecko run end because I stupidly decided to buy the orange pellets. Turns out that the cost randomization counts as a debuff, which just feels wrong. It should be a buff since it's the best thing about Snecko! What card draw?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Mailer posted:

I enjoy Defect so much more than Silent. It's got plenty of broken cards that immediately decide how you're going to play, as well as stuff you always pull, but Silent was just "So, you pulled a lot of Catalysts right?" and that's a lot less fun than Ironclad/Defect.

I've been playing a lot of A20 Silent recently, and it really showed me that a lot of Silent cards suck. The unplayable cards are basically curses, the discard cards are only pickable with bandages or tingsha, so many lovely attacks like slice. The only good shiv cards are infinite blades and cloak &dagger, all the others are only ok if you have shuriken/kunai. Furthermore, there are many cards like dodge&roll or blur that only really work if you have dex scaling, but silent has just one dex card. Ironclad has 4 strength cards and even defect, who wants a lot of focus, has consume if you happen to get neither defrag nor biased cog. Speaking of other classes, the Silent starting deck sucks in comparison, mostly because it deals no damage. Basically, playing Silent on A20 is a miserable experience, because if you manage to somehow not die to Lagavulin or Gremlin Nob, you better get both lots of poison cards AND a malaise or wraith form or at least 2 footworks, otherwise gg to you. Other classes feel like they have way more options both for dealing damage and blocking.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

The heart fight itself is actually one of the biggest causes of why I'm so frustrated with Silent (the other is time eater). A lot of Silent gimmicks require you to play more cards than you would with Ironclad/Defect/Watcher and guess which enemy punishes you for playing cards? I had many promising decks die to the beat of death lately and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about it. Like, after images helps, but when the heart starts with 2 beats and starts gaining a 3rd later on, it doesn't mitigate the problem entirely.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I admire his dedication and his Austrian accent is very endearing, but who the hell has the time to watch a 6 hour STS run?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Echo Form is the best Defect rare after Biased Cog imo, but Electrodynamics is also really strong. The thing is that you already have a Doom&Gloom though, which already gives you good AOE with Echo Form. I'm not too keen on Creative AI in general, I usually only take it if I have no other scaling whatsoever because it's very slow, but your deck sounds so strong that you can probably take it and be fine. So my ranking would be something like:
1) Echo Form
2) Electrodynamics
3) Creative AI.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

RIP, double boss was too much for me to overcome. I leaned a bit too heavily into powers but didn't get quite enough scaling on it to overcome Awakened One's strength gain.

The Busted Crown was a choice between Black Star, Philosopher's Stone, and the Crown. At the time I had had 25 cards and felt like I was pretty close to a complete deck, but as it turns out I couldn't consistently generate enough Frost and/or enough Focus to withstand Awakened One and probably the Heart's multi-damage spam attack. Deck would've torn apart Time Eater no problem if I had gotten him as the second boss. Donu & Deca were trivial. Upgrading Storm at the end also was probably a mistake given the Writhe, basically guaranteeing that my first turn would be very slow.

After Jaw Worm, the only other times I took damage was on Book of Stabbing, the second Taskmasters fight, double Orb Guardian, and the Act 3 bosses. Helix and Buffer+ is so great.

Storm is usually a pretty bad power, even with Creative AI (which also isn't too great). Next time I'd try upgrading Biased Cognition instead, it's the best Defect card in my opinion.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

STS is an almost perfect game, but I really dislike how the heart punishes certain strategies much more than others. Brimstone's a really fun relic and I'd like to take it more often.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Straight White Shark posted:

IMO the biggest mistake you can make with Vault is saving it in the hope that you can do something really clever with it later. It doesn't matter if you're looking at an "easy" turn with like 6 incoming damage, you might as well play Vault and get another hand's worth of setup + attack cards to throw at them during the easy turn instead of waiting for it to come back around and hoping you see it at an opportune time.

The main weakness of Vault is that it collides with Meditate and Conclude, which are also really good cards that are mutually exclusive with Vault. But that's not a reason to not take or play them.

This is a very good point and also one mistake I used to do with other cards all the time. For example I'd hold off on playing Catalyst until it would do lethal damage when playing it the first or second time you see it will usually kill enemies faster. Same deal with Biased Cog, Wraith Form etc.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

How did he deal with the beat of death? That thing usually ended my A20 shiv runs.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

quote:

Outmaneuver not so much since that's a burst of energy in the same vein as T.U.R.B.O.

I think Outmaneuver is a strictly worse version of TURBO since Outmaneuver only gives you energy next turn, which is often too late in Slay the Spire. Concentrate, however, can be good if you have discard relics or stuff like Reflex/Tactician.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

One thing I've wondered but couldn't find out yet: If you swap your starter relic at the whale, can you get the upgraded relics like black blood, frozen core and so on?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Ok, thanks. I suspected it worked like that since it says "replace" in the item description, but it is kind of ambiguous with respect to what happens if there's nothing to replace.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

There's a relic called Duality that gives 1 temporary dex whenever you play an attack. This sounds like it would be really good on silent, however it's a watcher exclusive. :negative:

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 8, 2020

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Drunk Nerds posted:

I won't stand for slanderdome. Dome is the second best relic in the game: Being able to hold an entire hand of "this is the turn where I need to attack" and "this is the turn where I need to block" cards is OP

Factor in Silent's drawing 2 extra cards in the beginning and Dome fits part-in-parcel with the StS mandate of "always be prepared"

I get why silent is difficult: it's different. Every other type I can just grab good cards and look for scaling... Ironclad can grab multi-attacks and count on strength scaling... Defect can get frost orbs and get orb scaling... watcher can just, just, like, do whatever. But with silent I need to hedge my bets: I need poison, I need a card that increases in damage/decreases in cost as time goes on. My silent decks end up the same strength as my decks for other classes, it just happens in late 2nd act that I figure it all out vs late 1st/early 2nd for every other type.

Silent has some fine scaling cards, but one issue is more that one of the main ways that silent can scale (playing lots of low-cost cards) is severely punished by the heart and time eater. Much more significantly, the ratio of trash to useful cards is significantly higher for Silent than for the other classes. Let's look at the rares for example: They are

1000 cuts (mediocre scaling)
Adrenaline (very good, but not as good as offering)
After Image (pretty good most of the time)
Alchemize (just bad unless you have bark or belt, then it's mediocre)
Bullet Time (sometimes good, often not so much)
Burst (great)
Corpse Explosion (very good damage)
Die Die Die (good early on, later not so much)
Doppelganger (lol)
Envenom (a bit like 1000 cuts, mediocre scaling)
Glass Knife (very powerful frontloaded damage)
Grand Finale (way too complicated to play, like a terrible version of alpha)
Malaise (GREAT)
Phantasmal Killer (mostly trash, sometimes ok)
Storm of Steel (see Phantasmal Killer)
Tools of the Trade (only worthwile if you have discard synergy)
Unload (good with discard synergy or in Act 1, later not so much)
Wraith Form (best card in the game)

So there are at most 5 cards that I'd consider slam picks out of 16, there are many very situational cards and there are 5 cards that are pretty much trash. That's a very bad ratio compared to the other classes and I haven't even gone into absolutely worthless stuff like unupgraded reflex or prepared. All in all, in my experience it happens far too often with Silent that I'll look at a card reward screen and get 3 card choices that are worthless for my deck. Compare this to Watcher where I often want to take all 3 cards :negative:. Thanks for listening to my meltdown, I'll have a coke and a Wraith Form please.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Jedit posted:

You forgot Nightmare, which is the cornerstone of every game destroying strategy that Silent has.

drat, you're right! Nightmare is fantastic, but it's not something you can always take like Wraith Form or Malaise. Maybe this is why I forgot it when I thought of Silent slam picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

What sticks out immediately is that you basically picked up no block except for Halt+ and Empty Body. That will get you destroyed later on when enemies have more HP and regularily hit for 40+ damage. Also, there are too many 0-cost cards that don't do much like Weave and Just Lucky. In general, it's tempting to just take lots of attacks to burst the enemy down because this is a very good strategy early in the run, but this stops working in Act 3 at the latest. By then, you sort of need to pivot towards a deck that blocks and scales most of the time and then has some turns where it deals lots of damage. Try picking up cards like Wallop, Talk to the Hand, Spirit Shield, Protect, Mental Fortress, Like Water. These are the really good Watcher block cards that come to mind immediately.

By the way, I don't know if you already did this, but if you've a Lesson Learned, you should try to end every fight with it (again, having lots of block helps with this). I had runs where I upgraded my entire deck this way (with the help of the Act 2 "upgrade Strikes+Defends" event).

KonvexKonkav fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 11, 2020