Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Hello thread. I have been playing StS since 2018. I set myself the goal of defeating a run on ascension 20, which I've slowly been building to. I beat ascension 18 and 19 in back to back runs last month, but I've hit a wall where I can't beat act 3 boss no. 2. I'm doing all the asc 20 runs as Silent because that's been my most succesful run-winner (lol poison catalyst+ decks) but maybe there's an easier char to run, stats wise? Welcome input there.

This is probably the greatest replayable rogue-like I've ever played after Faster Than Light. I love this game so much.

Also Jorbs is cool and good. Best chill runs. I don't always understand his choices but I wish I did because drat, it ends up working out for him in the long run. What a brain.

droll fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
a20 heart kill isn't an achievement is it? if not gently caress that noise

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Is there a good 'how to mod, these are the best mods:' rundown post here?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Kiranamos posted:

It’s pretty simple, you just subscribe to them on the workshop (first getting ModtheSpire, BaseMod and StSlib) and it will prompt you to run with mods when you hit play.

Must have QoL:
Minty Spire
Colored Map
Colored Powertips
Relic Stats
Achievement Enabler
Googly Eyes (obviously)

Downfall for new content
Spire with Friends for multiplayer

Thanks very much!

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Jedit posted:

An important note about running with mods: you only get the prompt if you open STS from your Steam Library. If you open it with a desktop shortcut you will get the unmodded version of the game. There is supposed to be a way to get the modded version running from a shortcut, but I've never been able to get it to work.

I did some reading on this just now, found 2 methods for 'shortcuts' running StS with mods. I believe you have to have JRE already installed in your OS. These methods basically directly call the java programs bypassing Steam's UI.

Method (1) - Shortcut to the MtS Launcher
A desktop shortcut runs modthespire launcher, so you then click Play after seeing which mods it's going to run with. Just create a shortcut to \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SlayTheSpire\mts-launcher.jar
To find this path I right-clicked StS in the Steam library UI and browsed local files.

Method (2) - Skipping MtS Launcher
If you want to skip seeing mts launcher and go directly into game with default mods you can create a script/shortcut that runs the actual MtS program, skipping the launcher '-jar path\to\ModTheSpire.jar --skip-launcher' for me it was \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\646570\1605060445\ModTheSpire.jar but I think the last 2 directory names might vary from user to user. I used windows search from the root of \SteamLibrary\ to locate it.

I created a batch .bat file in \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SlayTheSpire\ with the below in it. It's important to store the batch file at this path, so that it can reference local game profile data.

quote:

java -jar H:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\646570\1605060445\ModTheSpire.jar --skip-launcher
pause

I put 'pause' initially to help check for errors, you can remove it if it works.

Then I create a desktop shortcut to the batch file.

droll fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 15, 2021

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
For me I can't help clicking on the amazing relic in the last chest that would make my deck so much better and, whoops.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
StS profile on PC (steam) syncs to the game on Android & iOS?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I enjoy 1 hp if the path allows for a 1hp elite.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Learning when you have enough damage and picking block is a very important skill in act 1 because you'll need it in act 2. Just be aware that you start with access to vulnerable and don't be scared to grab a shrug or true grit or ghost armor on low floors if you aren't offered anything better. Metallicize is a great act 1 pick. They'll help against 2/3 elites at the least.

Whats better than shrug? Block and card draw seems p cool? What block cards are you going for here besides the rare 30 exhaust one?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

headcase posted:

Man, I am stuck on A20 on all 4 characters. I've gotten to the 2nd act 3 boss twice, but it is a lot to ask for. I think the best bet is to get lucky with a broken IC or silent thing. The normal high value non-gimmick deck building thing isn't getting me there.

I think there is a level of nuanced decision making, that i'm not willing to learn.

Same. I barely beat the act 3 bosses on a19 so I've been stuck on a20 for a while now. I'm just not smart enough for this game, so going to wait for an insanely lucky run.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I did it. Actually I did two things. I beat ascension 20 with a Claw deck proving that Claw is the best card.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
bag of prep, 2x early all for ones and kunai kind of helped. I don't want to post the post-run stats because I am embarrassed by the dumb decisions I make.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Yoshi Wins posted:

Congrats! CE is a fun and powerful card. It stacks too. If you play it twice on an enemy, when it dies all other enemies will receive damage equal to double its max hp.

TIL

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Why not ascension 1 for more elites?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Is 'twitch chat and AI slays the spire' known to the thread?

https://www.twitch.tv/twitchslaysspire

Vote on all decisions except an AI picks which cards to play in fights.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Yeah it's definitely not optimal like you say. Another example I saw was it playing Turbo for no reason, putting void cards into the deck for no gain.

The way the AI plays the game definitely changes the best decisions you the voter should make. A scenario where you would normally make X decision playing yourself, it's actually better to vote Y decision given how the AI plays.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Cpt_Obvious posted:

As a result, I find that it is a must upgrade not because it's a great card but because random exhaust is simply too dangerous to keep around when you have a deck that isn't full of only starter crap.

Username / post combo

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Is fastmode on iOS still really slow, or just me? Ugh. Still, nice to play in bed :S

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I'm not good at this game. I pick charge battery. The energy seems better at killing the elite faster with less damage.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Want to thank the thread for the balorlord recommendation. Watching him has taught me a lot, he does more out-loud thinking than jorbs

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Reference

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
This game is so good. Like god drat. It's been years, I'm still bad, but I'm becoming slightly less bad and I keep doing New Things. Slay the Spire has usurped FTL as my favourite game.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

kemikalkadet posted:

I think I was over 500 hours played before I realised treasure chests told you the rarity of the contents before you open them lol.

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
The Speedrun achievement was one of the first I earned, many of my earlier ascension runs are fast. Maybe this is why I'm bad at a20 defect, but I am playing a20 slower. Eh.