Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I just had the most satisfying run to get my Ironclad up to 20. Barricade, double entrench, double slam, double metallicize all upgraded. Mummified hand, self forming clay, offering.

The cards just rolled out in exactly the right way. Time was only eaten twice.

headcase fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

MJeff posted:

Hardest to deal with:
Ectoplasm
Busted Crown

wait what is so bad about ectoplasm? I almost always take it as long as i've offloaded enough strikes. I find there to be enough other resources.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

military cervix posted:

Gold is really valuable. Stores are pretty much the only place in the game where you're offered a huge array of choices that you can use to hammer out any weaknesses in your run. If you think of it like missing out on a couple of card removes and a random card, then it really isn't all that great. But shops can be a lifeline when you're desperately missing some essential card/relic/potion to beat the upcoming fights or the rest of the run in general.

OK I'll try to adjust my runs for this. I am usually going for 5 energy, or 4 + pyramid, and a ton of draw and just good value cards that i come across. A19 on all 4. It is getting harder though.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

This pandoras

Only registered members can see post attachments!

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Man, I am stuck on A20 on all 4 characters. I've gotten to the 2nd act 3 boss twice, but it is a lot to ask for. I think the best bet is to get lucky with a broken IC or silent thing. The normal high value non-gimmick deck building thing isn't getting me there.

I think there is a level of nuanced decision making, that i'm not willing to learn.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Dyz posted:

Im in the same boat. Most of my wins with Defect up to A19 have involved some combination of meteor strike(s) and either snecko or some sort of energy generation. Which isn't something you can rely on getting everytime.

Even if I get good focus and frost orbs I still struggle with defect in A2.

Most of mine come when i get a mummified hand or other power synergies and just take every power offered except for hello world. Once you get a storm and electrodynamics out, it just goes.

I did win with claws one time just to do it. Never actually tried the meteor thing, but it sounds fun.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

90s Shoes posted:

let's not forget random-rare-ing into alpha at the start of your run.

Pandoras boxing multiple pressure points was a fun and different run. It is amazingly effective if you can go all in on it and have some relics that kill artifacts.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Minimalist is hard. I'm not even sure I can do it without an empty cage. Closest I've gotten is with a barricade/entrench/slam/shrug. Still had 8 cards tho.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

DekeThornton posted:

I got an empty cage, and lucky events, when I got minimalist so It is a fair bit of luck involved. The deck was Impervious, dropkick, rampade a defend and uppercut. I also think it was a remove one or two card start. Baalorlord has a helpful video obout how to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fei2frQWPxs&t=2s

I just beat time eater with a 6 card deck After taking a reinforced body that I totally didn't want. Feels bad

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

cool headed, compile driver, claw, claw. Who would have guess that is the one?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I was working on the "you are nothing achievement and got this beauty:

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Man, I have loved this game. Now what am I going to do?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Deckit posted:

Downfall is the answer. Easily sucked me back in.

I'll have to check it out. was going to check out inscryption too.

Jedit posted:

I got all achievements in around 600 hours /played. I now have just over 1300 hours /played.

My advice is to set yourself goals. If you haven't had an A20H win on every character, go for that. If you have, do what Baalorlord does and try laddering - climbing every ascension 1-20 without a loss, sometimes with a condition attached. My current gameplay style is a modified Boss Swap rotating ladder: I play each character in sequence; I use a mod to guarantee a boss swap option which I must take; and if I win with a relic I remove it from the swap pool. Because I'm not super amazing I can attempt each ascension once with each character before the ladder fails and I have to restart from A1. It's interesting seeing how these runs evolve based on how early you get the strong and weak options. I'm currently at the start of the A7 loop with Watcher; I've lost Pandora's Box and Astrolabe, which is bad, but I've also lost Runic Dome and Ectoplasm so it's only Sozu and Busted Crown left out of the really awkward starters. Plus I still have Snecko Eye, Runic Pyramid and Cursed Bell available.

Yeah I don't think i beat A20 heart with defect yet. There should really be an achievement for that so you can track it.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

camoseven posted:

I can't win with Watcher but everyone says she's busted. What am I doing wrong??

I'd say focus on going back and forth between stances as much as possible, always grab 'talk to the hand', tantrum, fear no evil, and rushdown.

Cut through fate, wallop, wheel kick, empty fist, and flurry of blows are pretty good but don't overload.

generally get rid of defends, but get 1 or 2 big defense cards.

You should be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

A Moose posted:

I did it.

I have every single achievement, and it only took me... 750 hours.

Minimalist wasn't too bad. First attempt was 1 card off, second attempt died, third attempt 10 cards off, got it on the 4th attempt. My deck was Thunderclap, Flame Barrier, Shrug it Off, double Body Slam, all upgraded.

Almost had to end the run, due to Writhing Mass spamming the curse move. I've never seen it so many times, but I managed to dodge it, though I took a bunch of extra damage

It is the best and most fun game achievement i've ever gotten. I wish they would design a new official character with a new deck and new set of achievements.