Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I had the most ridiculous Ironclad run last night.

First choice included Searing Blow, had a bunch of campfires, so took it, started trimming my deck, and upgrading it every campfire. First relic was a dead branch, the second was Ice Cream I think, third was bottled attack, picked up a headbutt near the end of the first, l and picked up Corruption early second floor IIRC. Searing Blow was at +10 or 11 by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Why did I never realize how busted Blasphemy is? I never realized that it's upgrade was retain, and a light bulb just went off. Just got my first Watcher heart kill a moment ago - ended up getting Bottled Lightning, used it to get calm first round every fight with Vigilance, picked up a Blasphemy, an upgraded Battle Hymn, a Worship, and a bunch of scry and card draw, and would pretty much just turtle until i had 5 smites, a cost 0 Sands of Time, and some other random poo poo in my hand, pop Blasphemy, and annihilate the entire loving world. Shouts go to Tungsten Rod, Lizards Tail (I only picked it up because I had waaaay too much gold but it paid off big time, I think it's actually really good now that it's not a boss relic), and Toy Copter for keeping me alive - pushing through with 6 health left. Also Wish/Omnisciene for 16 plated armor was pretty neat too.

Watcher is a lot of fun.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

McCoy Pauley posted:

I finally beat Act 3 on standard mode, no ascension, with Defect, with a deck with Snecko and enough All for Ones and Holograms that I just got lucky with an infinite cycle of zero cost Sunders, All for Ones, and Holograms to eliminate the donut bosses.

I guess I can now access Act 4 and fight the heart, but I'm not entirely sure how to do it. This guide says:

To get the Ruby Key, you need to go to a rest place and there will be an option called ''Recall'' to acquire it.

To get the Emerald Key, you must search the map for a ''marked'' Elite fight, then defeat it. You will receive the normal payout, plus the key.

To get the Sapphire Key, you need to find a chest. The key is linked with the item, meaning you can only take one (essentially, you are forgoing a relic). Now, once you complete Act 3, you will go to Act 4. This can be done in any Ascension.

Is that any rest place, or a specific one that I need to identify on the map? Same with the Elite -- how will I know it? And for the chest -- any chest, or a specific one I need to find?

And can I do all this and get to the Heart in a custom game, or do I have to be playing in Standard mode?

You need to be in a standard game. You can get the Sapphire at any chest, and the Ruby at any rest point. I recommend waiting til act three, unless you get a poo poo relic at a chest earlier that doesn’t help at all - early upgrades and relics are important. You can’t miss the chosen elite - it has a little fire behind it’s icon.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thank you both. Time to re-dedicate myself to playing in standard mode instead of futzing around in custom modes.

Any time. For what it’s worth, I generally put off the camp and chest events til act 3, and only do the elite early if I’m feeling really strong. Additionally, not every Is a Act 4 run - you need a very strong deck and some otherwise strong ‘archetypes’ aren’t suited to fighting the act 4 boss. (Yes, don’t force archetypes, but sometimes you can play organically and end up with a shiv deck or something else that plays a lot of cards and has problems with the l particular mechanics)

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Today I learned that orange pellets removes the confusion from Snecko Eye. This is not necessarily a good thing if you trigger it 3-4 hands into your deck and all the sudden your card costs are all hosed up, especially if you got Snecko at the end of Act 1 and commenced forming Snecko Decko, which I consider to be a gently caress ton of draw and every expensive card I can get.

However, if you build to balance powers, skills, and attacks you can usually purge it off first turn.

This deck seems all over the place but it was a lot of fun, and also the first time I beat heart with Ironclad, meaning I've killed it with all four characters now :buddy: Firebreathing and Flame Barrier are god tier against heart apparently.

ImpAtom posted:

Where is the card tier list if I can ask? I'm curious

I don't know that a card tier list is really helpful for this - there are some really good cards, but almost all of them need to fit into your deck. There's a couple that are almost always good, but cards that put in a ton of work in the right deck can be pretty much a curse if you don't have the support for them - catalyst is a great card, but if you can't start poison stacks to begin with it's worse the a strike. Firebreathing can be incredible, but pretty bad if you don't have a way to generate status cards - once you get an evolve+, and a couple wild strikes/immolates, it gets really good. Cards like sword boomerang or pummel are ok at best, unless you have some strength generation, but if you can consistently build stregnth, they do incredible damage.

JoinRBS did a good video on why spirelogs is not gospel, and another video on why card tiers aren't the way to thing about this game. TLDR - you gotta pick the cards that let you deal with the encounters that are coming up, instead of just going down a list and saying 'Well, this is highest ranked, I'll pick this'. Shrug It Off is a fantastic card that I will often skip at the beginning of act 1 just because act one elites demand a lot of fast damage. Cleave is a not great card that I end up picking in act one because it solves a problem - AOE Damage against slimes/gremlins/slavers, but it's not getting touched in act 3.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Tenzarin posted:

Why is hello world so high? It spawns common cards into your deck right? Wouldn't that just flood your deck with low value cards?

That is weird. The only thing I can think of is it gives you an extra card every turn, making a weak deck in the first couple acts more likely to progress, and just gets treated like a curse later on?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Welp, here it is, the dumbest and easiest run of my life.

Got 250 gold and a curse from Neow, because I saw there was a shop on the second floor. Second floor, holy poo poo, there's a Searing Blow and Membership card. There's also a route with 5 campfires. Remove curse, pick up Membership Card and Searing Blow, pick up a strike dummy and Bag of Marbles a little later on because why not, get Snecko and an offering for the extra card draw, bag of preparation for MORE card draw, so that I hit searing blow on first turn every fight. Get another offering and a battle trance at some point. Remove strikes every chance I get. Right before the 2nd boss, I get Necronomicon followed by Red Mask the next floor, so pretty much first turn, every fight, I get a stacked Searing Blow 8+, doing something like 80 damage + 75% more from vulnerable, and it hits twice. A few floors later, I get the card duplication event :unsmigghh:. Of course I clone Searing Blow, take one of them to +12, pick up a duplication potion right before Time Eater, and kill him in one turn. Not one fight on the third act even made it to the second round - nuked Reptomancer, Hentai Tentacle, and Ghost Bitch immediately.

I don't think I'm ever going to hit a more ridiculous RNG happy run in my life.

I'm not saying Searing Blow is actually a good card, but when you hit it on floor one or two, consider just riding the wave because it's loving glorious.

Oh also, Onamori blocks the Necrocurse :lmao:

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 4, 2020

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

:same:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Zephro posted:

I used to suck at Ironclad so I know how you feel. The thing that really helped was not focusing on defence as much as I would have with Silent or Defect. Someone earlier was asking whether this game prioritises block over attack and generally it does but I think the Ironclad is the character for whom this is the least true. He has some really potent attacks and the sustain from Burning Blood really adds up over the course of a run. I got out of my Ironclad rut by prioritising attacks more than I was doing, alongside status effects like weaken and vulnerable.

Others have said this already but strength is one form of scaling for Ironclad and Exhaust is another.

And while we're on the topic of Ironclad, what's the consensus on Searing Blow? It feels to me a little bit like a trap but mostly because I think I end up tunnel visioning on upgrading it too much. The result is a deck full of un-upgraded mediocre cards and one super-powerful card. But by rank 5 it's doing 42 damage for 2 energy which is already really efficient. Basically it feels like at some point continuing to upgrade it is just gilding the lily and you should go back to upgrading other cards in your deck, resting if it helps you fight elites, etc.

Searing Blow is awesome when you get it in the first few floors, and gets shittier for every rest or shop you pass before you get it - once you have it, you want to shrink your deck as much as possible and draft card draw so that you can see it every single turn, and upgrade it every chance you get.

For me it’s a slam pick on the first two floors, but a skip once I actually start building a normal deck. Look up my posts in this thread if you want an example of a hilarious searing blow run.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

SuperKlaus posted:

Pick anything that has the word "poison" on it other than Bane and you're probably in the clear!

Is bane really that bad if you're already leaning into poison anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I think it's Snecko Eye and a trashcan?

Attached the image for reference in case anyone doesn't feel like booting the game to see it

Only registered members can see post attachments!