Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Note to self: Always take out the donut first. Dammit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Finally managed a win as Silent after god knows how many tries. Went poison, block, and 0-energy attacks, kept the deck thin, and had incredible energy thanks to the Ice Cream. Never felt threatened, good times.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I think I want to remake the soundtrack in a Wendy Carlos Switched-on-Bach style.

I will almost certainly not complete this project, but it will be fun practice.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Oh for gently caress's sake.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Even on Ascension 0 with everything unlocked I've lost the last 27 straight with Ironclad :( I must have some fundamental misunderstanding of the game or the class. What's a good resource for remedial strategy poo poo?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have been watching Jorbs's YouTube highlights which has helped some. Thanks.

Llamadeus posted:

Also post a few decks and people will point out the most obvious holes in your deckbuilding approach.

Sure, thanks.

My most recent run. Got Barricade early, and Body Slam didn't show up until Act III when I got 3 of them. Barricade showed up too late to save me. (Edit: I didn't realize how many True Grit I had collected holy poo poo)

The run in the screenshot above. I'll be honest, I was never able to get a coherent build going apart from big hits. Have a feeling I didn't have enough block in the end.

Had a grand old time spamming Anger with crazy card draw which let me breeze through Acts I and II, but by the time I got to Act III I was committed to the build and welp, Time Eater.

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 19, 2021

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Thank you everyone for the feedback. The most obvious thing is that I'm severely undervaluing relics, most particularly in Act I. I don't think it's so much that I'm shying away from Act I elites as much as I'm over-prioritizing campfires to upgrade the cards I get during that run, which could be hamstringing me later on. I'll do some relic-hunting runs and see where that gets me.

I'm still scared of Act 2/3 Elites. Just about every time I've tried one I get completely wrecked.

I watched Jorbs' Ironclad overexplain run and learned quite a bit. The run itself was kinda weird -- he got Dead Branch mid-Act II which completely changed the game -- but of course it's about the banter more than the run itself.

Thanks again everyone for the help :)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Very next game broke the losing streak.

This was an incredibly blessed run tho. Neow gave me Apotheosis which meant I could more or less ignore campfires from the start and go relic hunting, at least in Act I. Lantern and Mark of Pain gave me ample energy to set up shop on the first turn, and the Astrolabe gave me good stuff. Shitloads of debuff too.

My biggest mistake was taking Rupture early, which I was thinking of having the starter Decay curse ping but I ditched the curse at the first shop anyway.

Never saw a Battle Trance the whole run, huh.

Yeah I know it's still Ascension 0 but babby steps.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

WarpedLichen posted:

I was going to ask you when you posted your earlier runs but do you have an aversion to the big downside 4 energy boss relics? It's really strange to see not a single one across all those runs besides Mark of Pain which is one of the worst ones.

I do, but funny because Mark of Pain seems the best of the lot to me. I especially liked it here because it pinged my Fire Breathing.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Congrats!

In a few hours I'm going to do one of your runs and record it. We can hopefully get some discussion going about the pros and cons when my choices deviate from yours.

Oh cool, thanks! Do complete, replayable logs of games get stored anywhere?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Thanks much all for posting. Goons are the best <3

One interesting thing looking through your first Act is that the cards you were shown were different from mine from the get-go. I know I got a Barricade very early, maybe from Neow or the Elite I fought, or getting lucky in a hallway fight.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Oh cheers, thanks. I picked Barricade up from a Looter on floor 7.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I tried my seed again and got loving bodied by the red mask crew :negative: Barely survived but the Gremlin Leader cleaned me up easy.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I did an A0 run last night where Neow gave me Demon's Form. It was funny as poo poo, 13/10 would recommend

Maybe one day I'll move beyond A0, but my favorite aspect of these sorts of games is succeeding whatever wacked-out builds I can, and I know that moving up will reduce the pool of viable builds.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Something has really clicked for me with this game, I'm sure due to you all helping last week. Thanks. I'm suddenly winning the vast majority of my Ascension 1 runs now so I guess it's time to start moving up (though I'm still having fun trying wacky builds).

I had my first two tries as Watcher last night. First one died to Gremlin Nob while having absolutely no idea what I was doing. The second game... I won? Granted the game took it easy on me by dropping a Dead Branch and Sneko but seeing as I'll take it. I don't even think I've seen all her regular cards yet, let alone the rest of her unlocks. This game is too drat fun.

edit: even got to beat the Collector twice because the game crashed immediately upon its death :p

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 24, 2021

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It is, but I got it the floor before a store with Apotheosis so it wasn't quite as effective (but early enough that it still upgraded most the deck by the end).

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Lammasu posted:

What's the best class to go for the Common sense achievement?

Senerio posted:

Ironclad, 2 Shrug it off+, 2 Body Slam+ and a Pommel Strike was a strategy I saw in the thread that will get you that and the 5 card achievement.

Oh my GOD this was so loving funny. I don't think I was damaged at all for the entirety of Act III. Abacus did a TON of work here, both with ramping defense and pinging Body Slam

Unfortunately I was never able to find enough card shed to get rid of all my starter cards even with Empty Cage, and exhausting them with True Grit to get to five cards didn't unlock the achievement.

But I did get Common Sense, and earlier today I got Infinity and The Transient from another insane run with Corruption, Dead Branch and Med Kit. Good times.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
And I forgot the common sense run screencap :p

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The other day I got the Juzu Bracelet just as I was going to end Act II with a string of ?s.

The very next ? was the Red Mask gang who promptly floored me.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Today's daily was fun. I had fun.

(the expunger is 15x15 btw)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Today's daily is so much fun. Extremely early Grand Finale and Singing Bowl in the first shop means you can just +2 HP after every fight while triggering GF two or three times a turn.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Today's daily just whipped my rear end :( Could never seem to get the right cards when I had Divine, no AoE, not enough defense, just not prepared. Gremlin Leader floored me.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Drunk Nerds posted:

I don't do the dailies that shove 5 rando cards into my deck. That's like saying "hey, why don't you eat this delicious plate of chicken wings that I also dumped a wastebasket onto."

Don't worry, it dumps ten more on you after a turn! (No none of them will block why do you ask)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Enjoyed today's daily even if I only scored 755. Transformed into Wish which I wasn't expecting to find all that useful but welp turns out being able to conjure 8 plated armor when you need to take 0 damage is a pretty drat good thing. Stance dancing got me through most of it, and had room for some fun with Alpha towards the end. Kept the deck to 20 cards for triggering Abacus.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Boy have I ever got a minimalist run for you. Abacus and Sundial did so much drat work here; I regularly had 24 reflect damage and 100+ block per turn.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
be awesome if i'd remember to attach the pic tho. Also it was smooth sailing after Act 1, although Giant Head drat near got me because my Infernal Dagger gave me Anger and I almost let it flood my deck before I realized what I was doing :negative:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

metachronos posted:

This daily is hard as gently caress. Way too many cards.

Think my hardest problem was getting enough defend in Act I, but much of the daily for me revolved around summoning bludgeon or hyperbeam whenever possible.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What a wet fart of a Daily for me. Don't know why I prepped my deck as a status/fire breathing deck, but the synergies never came so I was far too light on damage. Red Mask gang wiped the floor with me and I deserved it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Yoshi Wins posted:

Nice. You've discovered a really strong, common approach to the late game for Silent. Basically if you get Nightmare, Wraith Form, Catalyst, Corpse Explosion, and Well-Laid Plans, you win the game. Once you have all that, Awakened One is pretty much the only fight where you have to think. It can be tough to find all that stuff though, and it's usually not a good idea to go fishing for particular cards.

So I went to try this to get my first-ever heart kill, and... well let me post the seed, it's a wild hootin' time.

5FRTQT6ST5ATS

A1 if it matters, and be sure to take the relic swap from Neow.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I tried to make something work with Perfected Strike but never got enough defense. Fell to the Collector, who was really drat aggressive about resummoning minions.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Fantastic daily today. Drank a distilled chaos which drew me into a Blasphemy at the start of the first Elite fight. Oops.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Well this was entertaining

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Greetings, bird nerds

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I do wish he'd post more runs of Downfall. Seems like there's a whole other game and a half of content there.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I reset my game a month back when I started playing again and I was never close to an A20 player anyway but wowza this was fun anyway. Took the 250 gold/curse from Neow which let me buy Molten Egg early, and a Floor 2 event transformed a strike into Creative AI, taking me directly into crazy town. Another event in Act 1 even let me ditch the curse.

Also I accidentally backed into the Neon achievement without even knowing it existed, ha.

edit: forgot to mention I had a second Self-Repair+ most of the run but removed it at the last shop. Knowing you can just take 20 damage whenever is pretty neat.

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 12, 2022

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Tiny House is a perfectly fine consolation prize when you're offered Runic Dome and Broken Crown.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

erosion posted:

I noticed Baalorlord moves around a lot. Has he ever mentioned a movement disorder? Sorry if this has been covered.

He took the Coffee Dripper relic about the time he switched to a standing desk.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Flinger posted:

Alchemize+ is the best card in the game. How could you even nerf it? 2 energy and 1 with upgrade? A card that affects another battles is totally bonkers, only healing cards kinda do that and reaper is obviously busted too.

Chance for cursed potions which cannot be discarded? idk I don't think I mind much if there are Objectively Good Cards in the deck tbh.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm still at A2 but what a beautifully, beautiful bullshit Defect run. Boss swapped for the key but kept getting 0-cost cards. Five claws, Steam Barrier, Scrape, and a Hyperbeam complement each other just nicely, thank you. The Reprogram kept the Steam Barriers from waning too, just great synergies all around. What a game.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Ouch, your face.

I need to start overcoming my fear of Corruption. I know Baalorlord swears by it but I'm always worried I'm going to burn through my block before the fight ends and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

kemikalkadet posted:

Also the fact that while you have corruption up you're not making the choice between blocking and attacking, you're doing both every turn so you've done a lot more damage by the time you've run through your whole deck.

Yeah this is what I gotta get through. Kinda want to go find a seed where I can get Corruption from Meow and play it through.