Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I’ve won the game with each character and even beat the Heart with the silent (my favorite) with a shiv heavy build with the +1 strength from three attacks.

I’m still having trouble getting over the final hump win the Ironclad. A few runs have ended on the final boss and I decided to build more block, and that worked well and I finally got to the heart and a few disarms worked really well but my hand wound up getting clogged due to the pyramid I picked up with status cards and my offerings were thus awful and I died.

I feel like this is a symptom of not knowing when to stop when it comes to adding a mediocre card or not or picking a relic that looks great but actually winds up pushing back on my deck’s focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah I’ve had enough runs that I am getting the essentials like timing block and such to set up my next turn knowing I will heal 6, correct ordering, and synergies, but I think I just take too much “stuff”. On this run I’ve passed on a bunch of cards and my deck feels tighter for it. I’ve seen people post their runs - is there a spot in the interface for that?

This latest run is awesome as I got a needle and thread from the whale at the start so floor one was an absolute breeze. I’m into a two-energy added debuff build with lots of upgrades spot weaknesses and shrug it off. Prioritizing some early block and card advtantage to go with the needle and thread has transitioned well into a high energy spend build. I still don’t feel like I’m closing fast enough, however, but keeping weak and vulnerable up outside of artifacts has most fights doable without major damage.

Man needle and thread is so good.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Thanks for the advice folks! I leaned into the exhaust mechanic a bit more and had my first Ironclad heart kill! It was kind of a bonkers run and would have been hard to lose the way the game was giving me amazing relics.

My initial run of relics was nuts. Shuriken into Needle and Thread into Ginger into Necronomicon, and I was able to grab a few curses the blue candle helped with along with my exhaust cards. From there in the late game I went on a +max HP run with three relics and singing bowl and finished the game on 126 max HP. Then I got the tungsten rod, which allowed me to ditch curses for no effect, and that combined with the Necronomicon curse resulted in me realizing I could do this!

Spent a few minutes removing the curse, which came back, until I could one-shot the head with Feed (which also helped my max HP!)

The big thing was getting a bottle to ensure I had one of my Immolate+s at the start of every fight to cast twice so every hallway fight was a breeze. A few other high-cost attacks rounded things out otherwise I was just blocking up and making sure I was getting strength up with the shuriken to scale to crazy damage. I picked up a Bludgeon from the act 4 merchant to close things out. The ginger ensured my attack stayed high Shuriken helped me scale and Necronomicon did the majority of the damage (and made sure the shuriken triggered more thanks to the second attack from necronomicon counting towards it). Reaper and feed were later picks that just helped grow things and with black blood and reaper I don't think I rested all game.

Funnily enough I got Corruption from the whale at the beginning and barely used it. It came in handy on one or two fights but for the most part I just relied on Necronomicon to carry.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 8, 2020

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Time eater keeps messing up my defect runs. The times I’ve gotten past him I’ve had solid win conditions but my deck feels too bloated - I love all his cards so much so few of them feel week but then I have a forty card deck! I gotta prioritize better.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Thanks for the tips in the thread, I've now beaten the heart with the Ironclad, Defect, and now the Silent twice. My second run was absolutely so much fun.

I decided to gamble away my starting relic and got the black star which worked well because I was on ascension 1 when more elites show up. As a result I was rolling in relics and having a pretty strong game with a deck focused on strong block from things like dash and leg sweep along with after image and lots of Footwork. My damage was low but I just didn't take much damage and chipped away. Then my act 2 boss relic had an option for the snecko eye and since I had so many 2 cost spells giving block I decided to go for it, and immediately I got the ? event where you can upgrade all your cards at the expense of never healing again. I'd never considered it but since I was heavy on block I said "why not?" and went with it. Completely upgraded decks it turns out are strong!

I didn't lose any health after that because my very next relic was the Calipers, and eventually I had all three "start with block on turn 1 / 2 / 3" relics. My turn one would have an innate after image so I'd play any 0 cost items from snecko eye then play powers to reduce the cost of the other ones through mummy's hand, then more powers the next turn, then a ton of draw from backflips and acrobatics, just cycling madly and ending the first turn with generally 40-50 block. Then the next turn would sometimes be even more, and so on, and so on, until my fights looked like this:

It was legit so much fun. I threw in a deadly poison and a catalyst and just put on a full Iron Man suit while my enemies were slowly poisoned to death.

I know this is likely nothing special for those who have been playing this since launch but, if you're reading this considering playing the game, I'd buy it. The sheer variety in how your decks work is truly remarkable, and a single event or card can suddenly turn your run into an unstoppable juggernaut. It's amazing how running up the same floors, encountering the same events, the same enemies, and same handful of elites / bosses feels so varied because there is such a wealth of cards and relics and the ways they interact feel infinite. Awesome game! Iron Man silent was amazingly fun.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Is “winning” beating the final boss or the heart? I’ve been doing some runs and went back to Silent on ascension 2 and had a tight but not super good poison deck that nailed the tile eater but died immediately to the heart, but now I’m at ascension 3!

I guess I can skip going out of my way to get the three key pieces because man some random dudes can hit hard now.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I’m really beginning to appreciate things like bag of marbles, red mask, and twisted funnel that can strip artifact stacks before a fight begins. Being able to consistently make a boss weak or vulnerable turn one either with the relic or by eating artifact is super useful.

I’ve beaten the heart with the three guys but now with the Watcher... I think I read somewhere that the Watcher isn’t fun and even though it was one random dudes opinion I accidentally internalized it so I’ve never even played her once.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Me last night: "Oh I can just skip getting the red key from the campfire because there's one right at the beginning of Act 4, I can just skip smithing one last time and get the key then so I can heal up now!"

:doh:

Also I'm really bad at the Watcher. Her style is way too boom or bust burst-style while my playstyle is to build a deck that does steadier damage and mitigates. It's a fun change of pace!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Taskmaster elite fight can just gently caress right off. Nothing but massive damage and debuffs as PART of the massive damage. I run into that thing on some play throughs get a bad draw and wham. Done.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Why is the plated armor potion 4 but the metalicize potion 6? Isn’t metalicize strictly better than plated armor?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

MJeff posted:

Think of every elite fight as a check to see how your deck is doing. If that fight beats the brakes off of you, it usually means your deck was failing to do a specific job. Slavers is a bit of a misdirect in that it looks like it's asking for AoE damage, but it's actually asking "have you made your deck efficient enough to deal 50ish damage to one target in the first two turns?"

Yeah ran into one of these hard checks on Nemesis with a super fun defect deck where I got snecko eye turn 1 swapping relics so I just grabbed every high cost thing I could find and had 4 streamlines and 2 hyper beans and was wrecking folks. It actually worked well as I could use my All for One to grab all the things that got 0 cost randomly and do insane damage.

Despite picking up some block cards I never focused on any frost or such especially with my silly hyper beams so Nemesis would sit there while I had 90 damage in my hand and no way to block more than 12. Good reminder to balance.

Fought the slavers with that deck though which felt very good. 0 cost sunder into 0 cost all for one into hyper beam chef fricken kiss.

Was looking for the force fields and glaciers that never came.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

The “lift” relic is such a trap for me. If I have three extra strength I won’t need the health from resting! (Runs into slaver elites, dies)

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I had wrist launcher thing too and extra energy from swapping relics at the start it was a good run I just got super greedy.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I bloat my decks way too much. I just can’t resist doing it

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I just had an a6 run on Ironclad carried by Snecko Eye it was awesome.

Then I got the matching card game and saw some colorless zero cost “gain 4 block” card and was like “oh I saw that” and paired it and immediately went “gently caress”

Paid a vendor to get rid of it

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Can anyone explain how a corruption deck should work? I’ve tried it twice and the big hit to an early turn is big and then I burn all my defensive cards and then just get burned down by one or two hard elites.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I did it - I finally did a run without picking up bad cards because "well they're better than a strike..."

Beat the Heart on A8 with the Ironclad. Leaned on an upgraded whirlwind for early floors and wound up with two offerings, a feed, a brutality, and an enrage. All wound up to a super tight ~12 card deck (after I used my exhaust cards and power cards) that was just riddled with upgraded uppercuts and tons of relics from digging into elite fights. The two offerings allowed me to front-load a ton of damage (combined with marbles and the JAX relic) that hallways and even elites were a joke. Wound up loaded with a nonsense combination of relics and just enough block to survive.

The deck was so tight and consistent with only a dozen cards after the first pass through I may finally be broken of my "add card" addiction.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

So what I’m hearing is my lack of knowledge on what enemies are going to do because I play this game for a burst every few months is holding me back from getting to higher ascensions? Boo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I don’t think I’ve ever lost a game where I get far enough to hit that “upgrade every card but you can’t heal” event. Generally if I’m into act 3 I’m clicking anyway and then suddenly my dead is 30-50% better just bonkers.

Had it with a Snecko deck lousy with leg sweeps and dashes and rolled around in relics so hard my deck scaled basically by accident. This game is so fun when a deck takes off.