Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Lammasu posted:

So I did my first successful daily run. I honestly have only tried it a few times before because they always seemed super hard but it was a curse run that ended up working out really well.
That was my first time doing a daily and I completed it as well, good times (just picked the game up in the PSN sale). I had 8 curses by the end but picking up lots of stance switches, 3 Flurry of Blows and a couple of Signature Moves supported by all the Scry I could get made for a really powerful deck. That extra strength really puts in work when you can play 10+ Flurry's a turn.

Oh, and a Judgment. First time I'd seen that card but it is mega efficient against mobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I'm pretty new at the game (picked it up recently on PS5, highest ascension beaten is 3) but this run with the Defect really did deliver that dopamine referenced in the thread title. Most fun spire slaying yet by far.

When the deck popped off with Meteor Strike/All For One/Rebound combos it was just insanely hilarious (as was casually acing hallway fights on turn 1 with a Pen Nibbed Hyperbeam and other little joys). Was nice to finish up on the donut bros as they were perfect victims, Time Eater would have been a little less fun.

When do you guys recommend going for the heart for the first time? I've ignored that part of the game so far.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Toshimo posted:

Jorbs cashing out the month with 127 A20 hearts sure is something.
drat, there's beating the game and well and truly destroying it. What's he got left to achieve?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Did any of them talk about Claw? I'm a low asc newb but Claw has been a core of climbing the ranks so far, seems pretty decent.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Jedit posted:

^^^ That's a meaningless statistic. Jorbs is playing all four characters, while LC is only playing Silent. If LC was rotating then based on his past win rates of 64/64/56/94 he'd be at 52-24 (68.4%) after 19 games with each class.
Does LC have a 94% W/R killing the Heart with Watcher at a20? That's pretty insane, surely it also points to the character itself being slightly broken.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Got my first Heart kill while working my way up the Ascensions on Playstation with this absolute stonker of a Silent deck.

I'd never taken Nightmare before but that card combining with Catalyst/Wraith Form/Adrenaline was devastating, especially with a Bullet Time thrown in there. The Heart went down like a 2 bit chump when I put more than his damage limit in poison on him turn 2. My previous Heart attempts haven't even been close so that felt good.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I guess it depends on whether the lower amount of gold will make a difference to your run or not. If you have 150-200 gold and a shop is up next go for the 70% chance, if there's nothing particular on the horizon take a punt on the 30%

Also I have started playing again thanks to the Playstation patch. Took its time...

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I'm so sad that Establishment doesn't work with Runic Pyramid :saddowns:

That was a wasted Rare card pick from the second boss although I guess it does make sense since Runic Pyramid is its own thing and not technically Retain.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Walla posted:

I watched a few of baalorlord's videos while playing last night and I think I have a much better handle on the Ironclad and Silent now. I spent a couple hours just doing Act 1 with everyone except the Defect and everything is starting to click. The Watcher is quickly becoming my favorite, since she's essentially the Defect on Hard Mode.
I don't get this comparison, in my experience Watcher is the easiest to do well on as it's really hard to go wrong stacking damage. Defect is a bit more reliant on getting synergistic builds together which makes deck building that much trickier.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Wildtortilla posted:

I just hit act 2 on my first robot run. This thing is really fun! The orbs are a fun extra thing to manage. I’m excited to see what the fourth character is like. The first two seemed pretty standard but man I love these orbs.

What’s all this talk I see of A## runs?
There are 21 Ascension levels (0-20) and you start out playing on the easiest level which is Ascension 0 (or A0). Beating A0 with a character unlocks A1 for that character and so on all the way up to A20. Each Ascension has new difficulty factor so they are harder and harder to beat.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Dyz posted:

Wild strike, power through, and reckless charge synergize with evolve and/or fire breathing really well and dont hurt too much unless you stack them or have a tiny deck. Upgraded fire breathing is 10 damage to every enemy for each status you draw and evolve essentially negates most status effects and some curses.

If I see early powers like fire breathing/feel no pain I will grab them and look for evolve/dark embrace. They especially allow you to just dunk on the sentries in act 1.
Fire Breathing is my favourite Ironclad card, especially paired with Evolve. Best decks ever.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I usually really like Snecko until that one fight where everything costs 3 and you die. Can make some amazing decks pop off if you get enough naturally 2/3+ costs cards though.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Nuclear Battery is particularly powerful on physical Defect. It's basically an extra energy with no downside.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I've just discovered the sheer majesty of bottled Whirlwind+Necronomicon+Akabeko. 96 damage to all at the start of every fight with the extra energy I have. Dopamine indeed...

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Why 128 times specifically?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If you're still climbing the ascensions there's no need to go for the Heart every time. I'm a way off A20 and most of my runs I'm only thinking about beating Act3, Heart is a bonus if it all falls into place.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

KonvexKonkav posted:

OTOH you still unlock the next ascension if you die in Act 4 so it's no big deal if you want to go for it while climbing ascensions.
Yeah you do but if you just want to beat Act3 you don't have to sacrifice a Relic, a card upgrade and have to fight a tougher Elite. So even if you aren't considering the Heart at all for your deck build, its still easier.

I've killed the heart a few times now just because everything fell into place but no need to go for it every run.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Wildtortilla posted:

FWIW, if anyone is inclined to try the seed, I was playing A0 as Silent with 3 unlocks.
With 45 cards you'd need a ton of card draw otherwise you can't rely on seeing any one card for 9 turns, which is considerably longer than most fights last. At a quick glance it looks like only 4 of your 45 cards are draw which puts you massively at the mercy of rng. Even if you had a Mindblast or two that would still be a deck that needed to get lucky to beat act3 (and would have a pretty much zero chance once you hit A5 or so).

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Just ran into a nice little infinite while messing about with Ironclad (one I'm sure everyone is aware of, of course). Whirlwind + Spinning Top + Chemical X plus every card that Exhausts stuff I could find (Corruption being the critically important one) . I couldn't quite get the deck perfect but in a number of fights I reduced my deck to just the Whirlwind which was infinite damage. Sexy!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
In general any Colourless card that cost 0 mana and draws is worth getting in almost any deck (those are the cards I look out for in that pick 3 Colourless card event, for example). Master of Strategy and Violence are examples of the strongest versions of that type of card and can really make a deck sing. Obviously the perfect Colourless card is Apotheosis, which unless you have a very tight or heavily upgraded deck is bonkers.

Favourite Colourless card? Of course, The Bomb. It is pretty awful but very fun!

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Patch 2.2 buffed a number of the cards that are shiv related (among other buffs). Platforms other than PC weren't on this patch for a while after the PC release.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Maybe it's less to do with deck building and more to do with in-battle decisions? Getting better at the fights themselves helped me get wins from decks that would have failed previously (not that I'm even at A20 yet but it's all relative).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I suppose it could work in a deck based around having a ton of block and Barricade, with Corruption to thin the deck.