Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I picked this up yesterday in a bout of low willpower due to fever and spent most of my night playing it and I'm having a blast.

I actually had a really fun Ironclad deck that I hope I get to try again, I had two powers that did one damage to me every turn to do stuff (one was draw a card and one was do damage to all enemies) and another that increased my strength by one every time I took damage from a card. In the end I fell to card bloat (I had over 30 cards :stare:) one fight short of the final boss, who I feel I could have beaten if I had survived, but I definitely want to try it again. Outside of "don't take cards so much" how do you all get the money to ditch cards at the merchant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sometimes "deck thinning" can just be being really picky about adding cards, too. Just because you had one card that was awesome on a different run doesn't mean it'll be the same on another.

I had an awesome Ironclad run last night that came up one turn short on the final boss and it's entirely because I had multiple cards that I had taken earlier without thinking about how they worked with my current deck, because they had done so well for me on a different one.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I gotta remember to start screenshotting my victory decks.

I won with a deck last night that went full offense. Got an Orichalcum at the start so I killed all my basic block cards ASAP and had two Metallisize+, two Heavy Blow+, Demon Form+, two expose weakness, and Limit Break+ (as well as a few other cards because I couldn't quite completely thin it out by the end). It didn't dominate (I killed the Time Lord when he had a fatal attack queue'd) but it was still fun. Also dropping 200+ damage Heavy Blows is fun.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stallion Cabana posted:

I get the idea of thinning your deck but how the hell are you thinning it that much? That's crazy.

If this was in response to me (I assume it was because the poster between us has a 32 card deck) I just didn't take very many cards from rewards, and generally used the merchant to remove a card whenever possible. I had most of the cards for my build before the level 1 boss. It actually could have been a lot thinner as well because I also was trying out perfected strike, which I've decided I'm not a fan of because it almost requires card bloat, which in turn makes it less likely to actually get your beefed up attack.

Other ways that people thin it a lot is through a lucky string of ? events, and the peace pipe (adds an option to remove a card at a rest stop).

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 25, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I am so bad with the silent, it always seems to start so slow compared to the ironclad. Can someone give me some tips on how to git gud with it?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GrandpaPants posted:

I find that the issue with Silent is that there are a lot more enemies that counter its playstyles vs. the Ironclad. Like, really, the Ironclad can do pretty well with just getting good new cards and dumping the starting ones.

The main Silent builds get hosed by certain enemies. Artifacts make Poison buildup even slower, and some bosses purge Poison and gently caress your victory condition. This is somewhat balanced out by the fact that most enemies don't do anything against Skills (Chosen and that Act 1 Elite), whereas there's plenty of poo poo that Weaken, have Plated Armor, are Malleable, or whatever. It does suck rear end with AOE unless you get Corpse Explosion, though, and even then it's not like, fast about it.

The combo deck type, which I would classify Shiv and Bullet Time decks as, get absolutely hosed by status effects. I lost a run strictly because I went up against a group of two Repulsors and the explodey bot and thorny bot and those Dazes absolutely hosed my deck that was weak in pieces, but aggregated to a poo poo ton because I would draw and then Bullet Time.

That kinda sucks. I might just have to grind out all the silent unlocks so the relics get added to the pool and then play ironclad until the third class gets released/silent gets balanced.

Last night I had a really good start (or at least I felt like it was) for a silent deck and I still died at the first boss, which I followed up with a terrible Ironclad run that made it to the third floor.

The worst part about the Silent is that if you don't make it to the first boss (at least half my runs so far) the Whale won't let you change anything at the start :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cinara posted:

With ? stages you can get elites sometimes in your first 3, I had one super lucky game where I got two.

This explains so much.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm starting to get better with the silent. I've started building HEAVY card draw into most of my decks (the amount that the silent has available to her vs what the ironclad has is immense), now I just need to figure out how and what to start thinning out of them. My last three runs all ended in the third area because of not getting the cards I need.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I finally got a silent win :unsmith:

Traded my starting relic for the pyramid that allows you to keep your entire hand but lowers your start of turn draw, got a ton of other card draw, and loaded up on a lot of block and poison. Also managed to keep my deck at a reasonable size (27 cards at the end with four powers).

It's also the only deck I've ever run where I even got halfway through the third floor with only three base energy, so that was neat.

I still feel a bit like my runs are relic dependent (I picked up some very good relics for my already committed to deck along the way) so I need to get over that, but progress!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stallion Cabana posted:

The 'have 3 or less cards in your deck, hand, and graveyard' achievement seems to trigger at 4, not three. Unless it means each, but it says Combined.

Tank Ironclad is just so good if you get Barricade and Impervious. Not seen in this deck is that it also has a Combust and an Offering, with three upgraded Ruptures and an Apotheosis.

Note: after saying that I lost because I got against Donu and Deca and Barricade was at the bottom of my deck with no armor around it, even going in with full HP. Sometimes you can just get RNG'd. Glad I got those achievements because I'd have been salty for losing.

You have 31 cards in your deck but only four total in your hand, draw, and discard. What? How did you get so many powers/exhaust that fast?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Stallion Cabana posted:

I had an upgraded True Grit from Apothesis; that's the card in my discard pile that you can't see.

I was specifically farming the 'have 100 Strength' 'have 999 block' and 'have 3 or less cards total' achievements in this fight; because the slimes constantly respawned I could knock them down to one left, then just turtle while they regrew.

I had a bunch of powers as well as exhaust cards, so I used them, then just used True Grit to slowly thin my deck over and over again until it got down to this point. They couldn't hurt me so I was perfectly safe to play it slowly.

This probably took around 40 or 50 turns. If you look at my Block and Strength, you can see I have 999 block and 999 strength; both are as high as they go, and I got it just by playing Entrench and Limit Break over and over again.

That's hilarious.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I had a run with the silent last night where I got the gambling chip and the relic that does 3 damage to a random enemy every time you discard a card.

Fun fact when you use the gambling chip at the start of a fight those count for the discard relic.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

You know what's even better than that? Bursting a Calculated Gamble with it.

:vince:

I was actually hoping to get that card but I got too cocky in the second act and died to an elite.

Also because I forgot to use potions :downs: When I died the elite I was fighting had 11 HP left with zero block and there was a fire potion in my inventory.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I tried a similar loadout last night based on that same relic and always had trouble getting all my powers up before getting the poo poo kicked out of me. Probably because I was never able to really thin out my deck.

Had a really nice combo with the power that does damage every time you apply a debuff + noxious fumes, too (sadly never got an envenom to really go all in on it). I think I died right before the second boss.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is this a new feature? How do you get to it?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I know most people don't bother reading but the game literally answers this on the character select screen

yes the silent is a her

junan_paalla posted:

Has anyone ever finished a run where their starting relic was replaced with the pyramid? I can imagine a silent build making it somewhat usable if you get enough discard, but any ironclad run with it dies helplessly on the first floor for me. Just too different.

Yes, on silent. I built a ton of card cycling into the deck and killed things by outlasting them with poison + defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My best run with the Defect (out of like...four) was when I decided to go all in on lightning orbs and it's definitely very cool. The power that channels two lightning when you take attack damage + the attack that does 7*(the number of times you've channeled lightning this combat) is hilarious.