Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

A Bag of Milk posted:

None of these choices seem bad but still not enough damage. Ultimately, body slam seems a little finicky because it only works well when drawn with a few blocks. Battle trance would have been a lifesaver.
Though I'm also not the greatest player... here it looks like you're underestimating how much you need to build your deck towards beating the act 1 boss. Most of these card pickups are basically detrimental in the short term: unupgraded True Grit is essentially a basic block that can sometimes exhaust one of your good cards, unupgraded Body Slam is essentially a Strike, unupgraded Cleave is only very situationally better than a Strike.

You might also be underprioritising act 1 elites relative to rest sites since some of these runs have zero elites in the first act. It's worth picking your first few cards entirely for fighting act 1 elites since the rewards generally outweigh the upgrades you have to pass up by resting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for good videos to watch for tips through Ascension? Preferably not a 16 hour twitch vod with some gargoyle dead center on facecam but at this point I'm not too picky. I'm stalled out at 4/5 for Ironclad/Silent with a huge loss streak. Its kind of to the point that I'm starting to think the internet is gaslighting me and that its actually impossible to win without an insanely lucky run.
JoINrbs has a couple of >2 hour playthroughs where he explains every single decision at length if that's what you're after:

Silent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu--f99IKew
Ironclad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ezfdXTpI2A

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
It upgrades to 18 for 2, so it's pretty good

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Ascension score bonus?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I think with Ironclad in general it pays to be selective when adding attacks to your deck (outside of aggressive decks where you can and want to kill everything asap). And to value strong blocking cards like True Grit+/Feel No Pain appropriately. It's easy to mess up your offense/defense ratio thanks to the relative scarcity of defense cards compared to Silent.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

A Bag of Milk posted:

Even unupgraded with two defends body slam is 10 attack and 10 block for 3 energy, which is pretty good early. And unlike dash it scales really well the whole game.
In the first act there are plenty of situations where that unupgraded body slam is either detrimental or neutral, eg: turns where you want to spend all your energy on attacks (nob or any turn where you don't need to block), turns where you only need to spend one energy on blocking, and turns where you want as much defense as possible.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Speaking of scratching the same itches (exactly the same itches)... https://store.steampowered.com/app/924020/Spellrune_Realm_of_Portals/

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Against Giant Head each card played increases damage by 10%, and the card being Reaper offsets the hp cost of exhausting necrocurse.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
He did do a 35 minute video on the topic of busted crown + question card too.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

haldolium posted:

I also now had a few runs were I really didn't like any of the Relic drops from the T1 boss. Like the choice between the Tea Cup, Velvet Choker or Runic Dome (for example) I rather don't pick any of those and just move on.
I think you might be too pessimistic on the downsides of some of these, for example if Velvet Choker was the only energy relic offered I'd rarely pass it up unless I have a lot of 0 cost or shiv-generating cards.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Refried Noodle posted:

I’ve been wondering if I’m missing a synergy with that card. Maybe with clockwork souvenir it’s alright? Then again, that means one fewer status effect blocked.
It can also be used to kick off Limit Break if you don't have any other strength sources, though obviously you'd have to be pretty desperate or have Pyramid or lots of card draw.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I don't think it ever got patched, the card still says lose 2/4 strength.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Gitro posted:

I don't think I've been in a position to use it myself since then, but I'm not misremembering patch notes.
Flex itself can't get you into negative strength, it just adds 2 (or 4) and applies a debuff that subtracts the same amount at the end of the turn. For your strength to become negative you need to be debuffed, eg by Lagavulin

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Also even if you're able to play 10 cards you don't actually have to play all 10. It's usually better to ensure you don't get screwed next turn than maximize throughput per turn.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Though some skills do have effects that last for the whole fight like Spot Weakness, and some of these even exhaust like Limit Break.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
But it gets even better in longer fights if you have scaling strength gain

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
It's probably because the heart was a relatively recent addition in the game's development so people got used to beating the game without it.

Also it's not just ascension climbing that counts act 3 as a win, the game's own statistics also call it a victory if you beat act 3 without picking up all of the keys.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Abacus would do it I think

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah it might not be obvious that for example Corruption is extremely good because it lets you play every block in your deck for a one time cost of 2 or 3 energy, in addition to triggering exhaust synergies like Feel No Pain.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Tayter Swift posted:

Even on Ascension 0 with everything unlocked I've lost the last 27 straight with Ironclad :( I must have some fundamental misunderstanding of the game or the class. What's a good resource for remedial strategy poo poo?
Also post a few decks and people will point out the most obvious holes in your deckbuilding approach.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
In conclusion, deck building is a land of contrasts.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That's bad logic - Spot Weakness is also costing you 3 cards in that case
I think you misunderstood, because that hypothetical was for a single play of Spot

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
To get away from Jorbschat for a moment, a completely unrelated streamer just posted his analysis of over 200 games played:

https://www.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/comments/la0x75/debrief_from_my_third_annual_100_hearts_in_30/

The take on the Blade Dance buff is interesting, seems like quite an outlier amongst streamers.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Not saying one player is better than another (and especially not based on such small samples), but the statistics are interesting:

Jorbs: 34W-19L (64.2%, 53 games) for the month of January, trying to win as many games as possible across all four characters during the month
Lifecoach: 46W-30L (60.5%, 76 games) at the time of writing

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Jedit posted:

^^^ That's a meaningless statistic. Jorbs is playing all four characters, while LC is only playing Silent. If LC was rotating then based on his past win rates of 64/64/56/94 he'd be at 52-24 (68.4%) after 19 games with each class.
I don't see why they aren't comparable: those are Jorbs's silent games only, he played over 200 games that month total.

edit: it was in reply to one person saying "I quite like lifecoach, but it's ridiculous how much energy he puts into discrediting jorbs being good at silent" so I thought it was implicit, and also no one would compare winrates across classes like that

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 11, 2021

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The tryhard streamers also spend a significant amount of time trying to stack: pen nib, ink bottle, nunchaku, inserter, incense burner, etc (there are some others but mostly these)

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

Wait, what? Why would playing a piercing wail when the enemy isn't attacking ever be a good idea? It only lasts one turn
There's a trick you can pull on the Awakened One's transformation turn where the wail strength debuff becomes permanent.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Drunk Nerds posted:

Do you think every seed is winnable at A0?
I wanna find out if we can find a seed that’s just unwinmable
If you haven't seen this before: https://forgottenarbiter.github.io/Is-Every-Seed-Winnable/

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Sword Boomerang also happens to be worse than normal vs Sentries and Lagavulin too, so it's a bit speculative

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
And one more obvious synergy: it's really good and easy to use with Snecko Eye which is itself very good on Ironclad

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 2, 2021

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

AweStriker posted:

As for being short upgrades, that might be a function of me wanting to burn a camp on Recall to grab the key while the battles are easier. Is that a mistake?
If you have a good upgrade available it's usually better to upgrade, since the upgrade has a snowball effect for the whole run: making your deck stronger lets you take harder and riskier paths, saves you hp in the long run (so might allow another upgrade over a rest). On the other hand the key provides the same benefit no matter where you take it.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, I'd guess if you're never going above two potions it probably means you aren't buying enough of them or aren't saving enough of them.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Definitely don't pass up Impervious just because it's a single use card. Or Apparitions. Or Reaper. The cards that exhaust usually exhaust because they're a lot stronger than regular cards.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
You haven't lived until you've killed yourself by accidentally exhausting the last attack cards in your deck with a Fiend Fire

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

TacoNight posted:

Do you win much after picking claw on A20?

If so, how do you make it work?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Also in StS streamer related news Lifecoach just started another batch of 100 Ironclad runs after a few months away from the game.

And Terrence recently finished 50 Defect games with a 70% win rate, really impressive.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, and some people would be interested in the losing decks too: they can show a lot of holes in deck building strategy

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

TacoNight posted:

For your silent and defect wins, it looks like you skipped a boss relic in each run. I don’t know that I’ve ever skipped boss relics. The downsides are usually worth the bonus, so at least one is pickable. Do you remember what you skipped ?
There's a Ring of the Serpent in the Silent run, but that's not too far off a skip :v:

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Verviticus posted:

thats also like the main conceit of the boss, really
It's kind of cool that it exerts so much pressure that you start thinking "this'll be good against the heart" when you see a Disarm in act one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The most common infinite you'll run into is probably a double dropkick infinite where you exhaust your entire draw and discard piles with fiend fire, second wind, burning pact, etc.

Or a Watcher one involving rushdown.